Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcTtmivAPSk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought everybody knew you could do this? :confused:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That skip has been known (and IIRC part of the WR) for quite a while, yeah.

Still cool though!

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm inclined to disagree with that. Like, not the part where the devs of contemporary games were clearly trying to bite off more than they could chew and running into hardware limitations, because that much is pretty true, but their attempts to work around it basically did end up, unintentionally or not, creating a unique aesthetic that I'm nostalgic for.

...Some parts of.

Basically, I rather like low-poly models and level design, but I also wanna run it at HD resolutions and high framerates with ample anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

IMO, the best example of that aesthetic is Descent 1's jagged, angular robots. Very low polycount, kind of stylized, thematically appropriate, looks good both in the original game and in modern source ports running at high resolution.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 29, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

exquisite tea posted:

I thought everybody knew you could do this? :confused:

Uh nope, that is a new one to me.

Wow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

lmao okay then

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Episode 2 of DUSK really shows some amazing things you can do with a retro 3d aesthetic.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

HolyKrap posted:

This screenshot makes me want to put on my glasses and I don't even wear glasses

Something that bothers me a lot about the HUD is that the Armor counter is on the left and the Health counter on the right. Assuming things I would have made the health counter on the left and armor on the right (if not ditch that design entirely) since scanning your HUD you would probably consume the information by reading left to right.

e: also

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1067847033900417026

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What bugs me is that I can't stop seeing the face as a reflection, and he either has a very tiny head or a very large helmet.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ularg posted:

Something that bothers me a lot about the HUD is that the Armor counter is on the left and the Health counter on the right.

Yeah that's really annoying for such a small thing now that you point it out.

doctorfrog posted:

What bugs me is that I can't stop seeing the face as a reflection, and he either has a very tiny head or a very large helmet.

It's important to always know what you look like so you installed small screens showing your face in every helmet.
Was the face-cam in doom added just for fun and to fill up a space or did some people in testing actually get confused by not being able to see their character?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flannelette posted:

Was the face-cam in doom added just for fun and to fill up a space or did some people in testing actually get confused by not being able to see their character?

Your face in Doom indicates which direction you're getting attacked from, whether or not the monster is onscreen. Even though the stereo sound helps with that, it's an additional layer of indication.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The face cam was (as far as I know) introduced in Catacomb 3D where it was your health bar - it turned more and more into a skull based on how hurt you were. It was probably kept in Wolf 3D and Doom because it was cool. That was pretty much the reason anything was in any early id game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is drat cool. I don't usually donate but I'll drop them a few eurobucks since archive has quite a lot of good stuff stored and just this collection is a great thing to have saved for next generations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I say we bring back the face cam to all FPS games.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Ahoy, who makes great videos, has a great video about the 'face cam' and its precursor, the Chicken-o-meter. I'd never heard of this before the video, apparently it's a ZX Spectrum/other British console thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8HT8aUb5q4

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

In practice it usually doens't look this good especially with a N64 controller, mostly missing the light and having to run back to the helipad repeatedly.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I say we bring back the face cam to all FPS games.

Let's not do anything too hasty.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Flannelette posted:

In practice it usually doens't look this good especially with a N64 controller, mostly missing the light and having to run back to the helipad repeatedly.

Wasn't Nitemare 3-D all done by one guy?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Convex posted:

Wasn't Nitemare 3-D all done by one guy?

3 people it seems.

But good news you can still buy it!
http://www.dgray.com/n3dpage.htm

System requirements:

"Any graphics card, including on-board."

No poo poo.

The dev for it did make Hugo's house of horrors by himself though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My grandpa and I played the poo poo out of the Hugo trilogy and Nitemare 3D when I was a kid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Looks-wise, Penelope could've done WAY better.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
man i loved those hugo games as a kid and never played nitemare3d. time to fix that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parachute posted:

man i loved those hugo games as a kid and never played nitemare3d. time to fix that

You are not missing much. As a fellow fan of the Hugo games, Nitemare 3D is a very poor entry into the series.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As a kid I remember being terrified of the dog in Hugo's House of Horrors for some reason.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Looks-wise, Penelope could've done WAY better.
he protec

but he also attac

Parachute
May 18, 2003
50% health ghoul looks terrifying. are the faces animated?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Volte posted:

The face cam was (as far as I know) introduced in Catacomb 3D where it was your health bar - it turned more and more into a skull based on how hurt you were. It was probably kept in Wolf 3D and Doom because it was cool. That was pretty much the reason anything was in any early id game.

Quake had it, too, I thought Quake2 did as well, but I had to check, and nope, no face cam.. it came back in 3D in Quake 3, though!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

manero posted:

Quake had it, too, I thought Quake2 did as well, but I had to check, and nope, no face cam.. it came back in 3D in Quake 3, though!

The Quake 2 test did.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's kind of an evolution going on here. The old HUD faces were attack direction indicators for people without sound hardware and also as space filler since there was nothing else to put in that space, while some later games used the character's face as a substitute for a health icon like in Quake, Quake 3, and that Quake 2 test.

But then there's a third kind of facecam seen in that ugly game with the helmet HUD where it just serves to waste even more screen space for no reason

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Then there is of course, the Carmageddon Pratcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFFNyzAJpw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Then there is of course, the Carmageddon Pratcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFFNyzAJpw

This is the only facecam I've loved.

Die Anna :swoon:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best facecam is :jeb::jeb::jeb:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

she was 14

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh god, what? Seriously?

Well, nevermind then.

:barf:

EDIT: In the shittiest defence ever, she absolutely doesn't look it, but whatever, doesn't matter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh god, what? Seriously?

Well, nevermind then.

:barf:

EDIT: In the shittiest defence ever, she absolutely doesn't look it, but whatever, doesn't matter.

Here’s a more sensical point: you were probably much closer to 14 when you first played Carmageddon yourself. If you were within shouting distance of 14 from either side, it’s completely normal to have fantasies like that. Also yes it was probably an actress in her 20s in which case whatever.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Devs said the actress was indeed 14 and today she's an elementary school teacher, married with kids somewhere in southern England. Was looking forward to her return in the new Carmageddon together with whoever Max Damage was, but I guess she refused or they couldn't reach her.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Flannelette posted:

david_a posted:

but he also attac

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Does that muppety looking guy there know something we don't? He looks like he's hiding something. I hope it's a scoop about some games!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

THEN HOW COME SHE CAN DRIVE DEATH CAR??

Heavy Metal posted:

Does that muppety looking guy there know something we don't? He looks like he's hiding something. I hope it's a scoop about some games!

He'll tell you all about the "real" release of Duke Nukem Forever in your *dreams* tonight

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I want a Duke Nukem 5, does this work like Santa? Is it unhinged asking for wishes from a mysterious muppet drawing, maybe! It's just how I live my life. I also want a Miami Vice FPS.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who watch my let's plays and streams and stuff can attest that every time I say I don't think there will be a sequel to something, one is announced in like the next month. So no there won't ever be a 5uke Nukem or a Miami Vice FPS which would be really drat good.

edit: If there was a Miami Vice game made though I'd want it to be third person and control like Max Payne. Please let me dive through the air in slow motion and watch my white sportcoat flutter to the tune of Phil Collins.