Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Can longbows fit on automatic turrets? Because if so you could go full theming on that.

The giant pile that is Medieval Times also includes ballistae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Flesh Forge posted:

The giant pile that is Medieval Times also includes ballistae

But it also comes with the rest of Medieval Times, Arrow Please is the better crossbows and friends mod

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Got my new settlement's first siege yesterday. Realized that pretty much the only major structure not dug out into the mountain was the food stores, which instantly got set on fire via enemy fire. Got a little dicey there for a sec but we all ended up fine.

Also got the settlement's first infestation event. Thankfully the map has the caves special feature, and the natural caves are considered fair game for the bugs to spawn in. They're a decent ways away from my base. How far will they spread if ignored? Will they ever flip out and just start rushing me?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wrr posted:

Also got the settlement's first infestation event. Thankfully the map has the caves special feature, and the natural caves are considered fair game for the bugs to spawn in. They're a decent ways away from my base. How far will they spread if ignored? Will they ever flip out and just start rushing me?

Cancerously. Burn it out now, or get ready to pack up and leave

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Bummer. It is along a route that raiders occasionally use to get to my base, I was hoping those two problems would take care of themselves. Well time to get half my colony killed fighting bugs. I guess I can try building some walls where they can't see and setting fires inside. Likely easier to safely do that than in my actual base.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm pretty sure something is bugged out in my giant list of mods and I'm not getting normal raids. I only seem to get cosmic horror raids, and infested ship parts falling on my farms. I'm going to try to remove the cosmic horrors from my mod list (which is probably going to gently caress up my save) but does anyone have any other ideas what might be causing this?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I honestly barely get any raids and its kinda a bummer. I wanna throw dudes into the meat grinder.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can always make a custom scenario that gives you regularly scheduled raids. I don't remember if you can adjust scenarios while you're playing like you can storytellers, though.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

is it normal to end up with a modlist that's close to 200 mods? it feels like there are so many mods that add tiny little improvements to things that become impossible to live without (underground conduits, quarries, mods that add alerts to poo poo like blights, etc.) and lots of mods that completely rework hyper specific things into completely different and new systems that it's nearly impossible to find a mod in my subscribed list i want to actually dump.

my nightmare modlist: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1575682180

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wrr posted:

I honestly barely get any raids and its kinda a bummer. I wanna throw dudes into the meat grinder.

Start your colony near bad boys. If you want to experience basically constant combat be between three bad boy settlements.

Speaking of, does it matter what direction your enemies come from based on the direction of their settlement? Because it's loving obnoxious having to basically make a mega fort to have an semblance of consistent, reliable defense.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I had nearly 400 back in b18. I considered them all qol mods, with few actual content expansions.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm pretty sure something is bugged out in my giant list of mods and I'm not getting normal raids. I only seem to get cosmic horror raids, and infested ship parts falling on my farms. I'm going to try to remove the cosmic horrors from my mod list (which is probably going to gently caress up my save) but does anyone have any other ideas what might be causing this?

Save it and then spam raid generation in Dev Mode and see if you can basically force a pirate raid - if it works through Dev Mode, it should work in regular game. It may just be highly unlikely to happen.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

McGiggins posted:

I had nearly 400 back in b18. I considered them all qol mods, with few actual content expansions.

How long did your game take to start up?

I am running Rimworld on my relatively new, not gaming specced laptop and with 150 mods the game takes roughly 10 minutes to start up.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

jokes posted:

Start your colony near bad boys. If you want to experience basically constant combat be between three bad boy settlements.

Speaking of, does it matter what direction your enemies come from based on the direction of their settlement? Because it's loving obnoxious having to basically make a mega fort to have an semblance of consistent, reliable defense.

I'm about half a days travel to two pirate factions to my east and west. They rarely bother me and I've been wanting to head out and gently caress them up for a bit now. Maybe its because I started on Medium Randy?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How long did your game take to start up?

I am running Rimworld on my relatively new, not gaming specced laptop and with 150 mods the game takes roughly 10 minutes to start up.

oof, wow. mine definitely takes a while, probably a minute and a half, but nowhere near 10 minutes

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Why would you people do this to yourselves? What the hell is in 400 mods? How can you suffer waiting 10 minutes for the game to fire up? I get antsy if mine takes 30 seconds

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i play vanilla and i enjoy it like that because my game just works and i have all the tools i need to do weird poo poo already

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm super hesitant to mod this game, although I could see some QoL mods in the near future. Modding kinda ruined KSP for me and keeping up the the mod revisions was a nightmare that I don't want to repeat.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Do you all gently caress with caravans in the early game? I've only been playing for a few days and I'm up to 7 colonists and a huge surplus of cotton and dusters that wandering merchants never want to buy. I keep getting tempted by the AI with various caravan missions and figure I can dump this huge stockpile of clothing I've been churning out. I'm on the fence if it's worth it. I finally reached the point where I have enough people to prioritize each of the various tasks, but if someone is down for whatever reason then everything grinds to a halt.

I'm very risk averse because the last time I did a caravan I messed up and didn't send enough food, and then the merchant basically went into a psychotic daze on the return trip after a major break. I sent almost my entire settlement on a rescue caravan because if that dude died I would have rage-quit anyway.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I have like 25 mods and it's perfect

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm super hesitant to mod this game, although I could see some QoL mods in the near future. Modding kinda ruined KSP for me and keeping up the the mod revisions was a nightmare that I don't want to repeat.

It's never been too bad for me, and the workshop support means that the mods are generally updated hassle-free. They also require very little labor to install and get running. Pretty much just subscribe on the workshop, and activate in the main menu. It'll even tell you if your load order needs to be changed due to dependencies.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

sharkbomb posted:

Do you all gently caress with caravans in the early game? I've only been playing for a few days and I'm up to 7 colonists and a huge surplus of cotton and dusters that wandering merchants never want to buy. I keep getting tempted by the AI with various caravan missions and figure I can dump this huge stockpile of clothing I've been churning out. I'm on the fence if it's worth it. I finally reached the point where I have enough people to prioritize each of the various tasks, but if someone is down for whatever reason then everything grinds to a halt.

I'm very risk averse because the last time I did a caravan I messed up and didn't send enough food, and then the merchant basically went into a psychotic daze on the return trip after a major break. I sent almost my entire settlement on a rescue caravan because if that dude died I would have rage-quit anyway.

Depends on the reward. I don't think I've ever bothered with incapacitated refugees/prisoners (seriously, with as many idiots come to my door and how bad the quest ones are, I'd need to be told what I was getting upfront, and they'd need to be above average for me to care,) but I'll dive on an item stash or base kill mission if the reward is good enough (early game chemreactors are dumb.)

That said, it's absolutely worth it to go caravanning to sell to your neighbors since settlements usually have more cash and better poo poo to trade than their caravans.

If you have an even half decent crafter, have them convert your spare textiles into clothes first; it's good practice and sells for a lot more than the raw materials.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 30, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

robotsinmyhead posted:

There's some super duper good QOL mods though, because the vanilla game has some pants on head retarded poo poo in it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 Allow Tool, about 50 valuable extensions to the UI behavior without actually changing game balance at all, if I had to pick just one mod I was allowed to play with it'd be this one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 Cut Plants Before Building
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231617602 Just Ignore Me (allows construction of things like doors without stopping when someone steps through the tile)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858744731 Reverse Commands (right click context menu extensions, great for things like rescuing downed pawns)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539028008 Where Is My Weapon? (pawns that drop their weapon will automatically go re-equip it when able - you don't realize just how annoying this is to do without until you try it)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541439712 Small Shelf (a 1x1 shelf, why isn't this in vanilla :shrug:)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 Defensive Positions, set fixed positions to send defenders to with one keypress, also includes squad membership
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180718516 Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, & Drug Settings - because setting up the same standard job bills every time for things like stoves and smelters is not actually gameplay!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 Better Workbench Management, allows copying and linking bills between workbenches (e.g. you have 5 tailors, change a bill on one of them and all 5 receive the change)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 No Default Shelf Storage, so you don't waste haul labor moving inappropriate poo poo onto a new shelf
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565817 Medical Tab, lol if you don't have this
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1516158345 Interaction Bubbles, see what they're talking about
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 Replace Stuff, get rid of vast amounts of busywork when improving constructions
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 Numbers, a great reporting/finding stuff UI tool
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542393171 Terrain Zone Selections, will create "flood fill" zone based on terrain type under the mouse
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117406550 My Little Planet, so you can have a smaller globe with 100% coverage and not take ages to load
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508850027 RimHUD, see interesting poo poo with less clicks
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1419593453 No Forced Slowdown! So watching that refugee make the run to your gate isn't brutally agonizingly dull!

and none of these really alter vanilla game balance, they just get rid of bullshit or show you more poo poo you could see with more clicks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, that list is great. Arguably you might not want the forced slowdown mod, but.

If you're super serious about keeping things vanilla then of all those mods RimHUD and medical tabs should 100% be in the base game for sure.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
No Forced Slowdown just stops the game from preventing you adjusting speed after an alert; by default it still drops the game back to normal speed when poo poo happens, you can just immediately go back to 3x instead of having to wait 20s.

I'm not a fan of interaction bubbles; the poo poo colonists talk about is utterly inane (since it's procedurally generated) and it just winds up cluttering the screen. Maybe if they changed it to a Sims style emoticon set that got the general gist across without covering the screen in text balloons.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Keeshhound posted:

No Forced Slowdown just stops the game from preventing you adjusting speed after an alert; by default it still drops the game back to normal speed when poo poo happens, you can just immediately go back to 3x instead of having to wait 20s.

I take it back, this is important and cool and good and everyone should use it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I'm not a fan of interaction bubbles; the poo poo colonists talk about is utterly inane (since it's procedurally generated) and it just winds up cluttering the screen. Maybe if they changed it to a Sims style emoticon set that got the general gist across without covering the screen in text balloons.
It's interesting to use once or twice just because it makes it obvious just how much pawns interact, and more importantly, where they interact most. But once you get the gist it kind of winds up as UI clutter and you can totally do without, yeah.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jokes posted:

I take it back, this is important and cool and good and everyone should use it.

I had to stop playing when 1.0 first came out because it didn't update immediately. It's a loving godsend.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

My current game is just infinite poison and psychic ships even though I'm near 2 hostile tribes and 2 pirate factions. I guess it means unlimited plasteel but ugh, so much wasted on mortar shots just to bait them into the killbox.

As for mods, I think I have 30ish? I ridded myself of Dubs' mods recently and the interaction bubbles as well. Medical Tab and Allow Tool are absolute essentials, I have to agree.

robotsinmyhead posted:

This game is incredible. My settlement is overrun by 30+ Pet Rats, so this Art Piece was appropriate.

The rat's newborn, also a rat.

For a second I thought this was the Space Station 13 thread.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Asimo posted:

It's interesting to use once or twice just because it makes it obvious just how much pawns interact, and more importantly, where they interact most. But once you get the gist it kind of winds up as UI clutter and you can totally do without, yeah.

It does get cluttered during things like a big fight, but it can be easily toggled on and off ingame, there's a button for it on the bottom right.
e: one of the best reasons to play in dev mode is turbo speed but if you don't like to have cheats at your fingertips (I actually do but w/e)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1504723424 Smart Speed, allows turbo without dev mode

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Does anyone have advice for whether to get Vegetable Garden or Rimcuisine?

I'm interested in a mod that expands the whole cooking / food / drug production side of things, but these mods seem to a) tread on eachothers toes a lot and b) have a lot of unnecessary items within themselves that duplicate their own functions (like, a million different alcohols and sodas).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Rimcuisine is a lot lighter weight and has less (though still some) cruft. It also adds a neat system where instead of having a million different recipes, meals just get a mood bonus for every "uncommon (not vanilla) ingredient" used.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like the fabric aspects and trees of Vegetable Garden, but the crops and especially the cooking/drinks adds way, way too much poo poo.

Rimcuisine is excellent, though the ability to make stews in batches of 10 trivializes the 1 meal at a time of vanilla. There's also hardtack, which is basically vegetarian pemmican (but with 2-3 year shelf life!), so long term food stores are simpler. You can also dry meat and fruit to extend their shelf-life (or consolidate)... which those three together can arguably trivialize the need for refrigeration (assuming you've got the workforce).

The uncommon and exotic ingredient markers are a tad different than things just not being vanilla. Rimcuisine adds things like oats and wheat as growth possibilities, but they're considered standard ingredients. Berries and agave are considered uncommon - essentially, any fruit is uncommon.

I like that for the most part, there's some differentiation between the different plants that are added, either in terms of work per unit nutrition, growth rate, fertility sensitivity, or other things. When you start planting uncommon crops, onions do not die in cold snaps, whereas tomatoes and chickpeas do. Fruit trees take a massive amount of time to grow, but then they're constant suppliers of fruit that can again live through cold snaps. There's a fair bit of overlap, but not nearly as bad as Vegetable Garden (I think).

I haven't found out (or bothered to look) for everything that's considered exotic - so far all I've found are truffles... but you can't grow those. They're also hard to spot on the ground, so they're actually a neat little, "oh yeah, a truffle!" find when I "select harvest" on an entire area of wilderness around the base because a fair number of things can grow wild, so you'll often get small clusters of wheat or dandelions (which are harvestable now) on temperate maps.

When your cook grabs ingredients, they have normal functionality on what they grab (so as much out of a single stack as possible) for weak stew (simple meal) and hearty stew (fine meal). But, you can use this in conjunction with the % stockpile of Rimworld Search Agency to make a few stockpiles around the cook of a few uncommon and exotic ingredients, so instead of cooking a hearty stew with just venison and onions (+5 fine meal, +1 uncommon ingredient), you could potentially have 10 each of onions, berries, quinoa, chickpeas, and some truffles around the cook so they have to grab the whole stack of each, making a hearty stew with venison, onions, berries, quinoa, chickpeas, and truffle which winds up with an uncommon ingredient x4 (but I think it's limited to +2 or +3 moodlet) and exotic ingredient (+2 moodlet). You could also just do the lavish meal equivalent which has built in to the crafting bill of using a variety of ingredients (exceptional stew?), but that's also wasteful like lavish meals.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Flesh Forge posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117406550 My Little Planet, so you can have a smaller globe with 100% coverage and not take ages to load
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1419593453 No Forced Slowdown! So watching that refugee make the run to your gate isn't brutally agonizingly dull!

my dude, I did not know about these and these are absolutely my jam. I've wanted to do a 100% globe coverage but the slowdown and sheer scale of it was always ridiculous. Also, getting rid of that poxy forced slowdown will be bloody good

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I prefer Rimcuisine myself over Vegetable Garden. Mostly because of the aforementioned of way, way too much stuff being added in the latter.

Though tofu giving a mood penalty is a bit rude. Tofu is good.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Keeshhound posted:

Rimcuisine is a lot lighter weight and has less (though still some) cruft. It also adds a neat system where instead of having a million different recipes, meals just get a mood bonus for every "uncommon (not vanilla) ingredient" used.

HelloSailorSign posted:

A whole load of useful stuff

Heartcatch posted:

I prefer Rimcuisine myself over Vegetable Garden. Mostly because of the aforementioned of way, way too much stuff being added in the latter.

Though tofu giving a mood penalty is a bit rude. Tofu is good.

Goodness, thanks for the information! Rimcuisine it is!

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
While we're doing the whole mod thing again, here's a question - has anybody seen a mod that changes the faction colours? Reason I ask is when using the mod that adds more (vanilla) factions on the map, they're still almost indistinguishable shades of the same colours. It'd be nice to have a game where I can have four outlanders, four tribes, three pirates, and still be able to tell them apart without squinting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have never seen such a thing but you should ask the person who maintains Faction Control, it seems reasonable.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1509102551

Rainbeau wrote this originally but this person has picked it up to maintain.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

on the subject of food/farming mods, is Wild Cultivation worth using? I've already got RimCuisine, this seems to add similar stuff but also dumps a bunch of mushrooms and stuff into my growable foods list right from the start.

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I prefer just that, without the garden mod or RimCuisine. Imo it's kind of either/or.