Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

What K-drama is this?

The raw fish eating was in response to my girlfriend cheating on me going on a date with my brother, who cheated on his girlfriend. Except I suddenly decided that my brother's girlfriend is more hot so decided to die by fish poisoning so that we could be together in the afterlife.

Oh, and the brother it turns out is gay.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've been making sushi from salmon and tuna from Costco for a decade and am not dead yet. The trick I was told by the internet was that Costco is the only place that has the actual packing date on the label, so you pick out some fish that was packed that day and you'll be fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ntan1 posted:

The raw fish eating was in response to my girlfriend cheating on me going on a date with my brother, who cheated on his girlfriend. Except I suddenly decided that my brother's girlfriend is more hot so decided to die by fish poisoning so that we could be together in the afterlife.

Oh, and the brother it turns out is gay.

But wait who is the time traveler?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grand Fromage posted:

Albert Einstein

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Grand Fromage posted:

They don't show up until the second episode.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Waci posted:

They don't show up until the second episode.

Also it's an ajumma who put what she thought was a magic rejuvenating youth cream on her face, but it actually turned her into Albert Einstein.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

god damnit people it's been ages and none of you have posted a really fancy japanese meal since I thought of my genius "Just according to kaiseki *Kaiseki means fancy dinner" joke

I have lost patience :mad:

edit: anyway made gyoza and they were rad

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I need a new rice cooker. Is this good/a good deal? https://www.lordandtaylor.com/zojirushi-unami-micom-10-cup-rice-cooker/product/0500044638658

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poo poo yeah it is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes. I want one too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Apparently, the Induction and Pressure models also on clearance? https://www.lordandtaylor.com/searc...0&Ntt=Zojirushi

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Go for a 5.5 one instead of a 10 one unless you eat a _lot_ of rice and have a lot of space.

Induction/Pressure is good for consistent white rice, but a basic one is also perfectly reasonable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's unfortunate the smaller ones are more than double the price.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The pressure ones are really cool for knocking out a pot fast after you get home from work because you forgot to set the timer. Ask me how I know.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have a smaller zojirushi rice cooker and it is phenomenal. Perfect rice every time with no effort or fuss.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
That's also a good bread maker, in case you are in the market for a bread maker. Expensive, but it'll last you decades and actually make a good loaf.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I wish we could get the insane Ferrari level rice cookers that you see in Japan over here. I want their rice technology. I must have the most perfect rice

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Uh you can?

On Amazon?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SR-HZ106-Uncooked-Induction-Multi-Cooker/dp/B00X9JNWGS

This is for you have fun!!!

Note that I eat rice like every other day and that is still overkill thanks!

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Arven posted:

I've been making sushi from salmon and tuna from Costco for a decade and am not dead yet. The trick I was told by the internet was that Costco is the only place that has the actual packing date on the label, so you pick out some fish that was packed that day and you'll be fine.

Nice, are you buying the salmon frozen or thawed? Similiarly I've heard costco is stupid fresh since it also wholesales to restaurants. Also that it's own huge purchasing power in the market helps with their fresh stock.

Also to salmonella turkey jizz guy, thank ya for the info. And yes I have been flash freezing to help preserve the texture. Based off that, I might look into some of the dishes that involve blanching or kitchen torches.

My understanding of salmonella is that it lives on the surface, as its a gut bacteria that is only present if there was cross contamination during the breakdown of the animal. And that's why a pan seared steak is good to go.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Made some korokke today

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Those look fantastic!

How do you flash freeze something? Dry ice? Liquid nitrogen? Hiking a very tall mountain?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

For small things you can lay them out on an aluminum sheet and stick in the freezer and they'll freeze pretty quick. For larger I'd think immersion in liquid nitrogen is the way to go. Dry ice would take longer and liquid nitrogen is cheap anyway.

I made good tonteki today but the combination of my terrible phone's terrible camera and the terrible lighting in my kitchen made the picture bad. But tonteki is good, eat tonteki.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Those look fantastic!

How do you flash freeze something? Dry ice? Liquid nitrogen? Hiking a very tall mountain?

I havent tried the liquid nitrogen route yet, but heres how I did it.

Go to home depot, buy a gallon of 99% ethanol. (you'll die if you drink it, they mix in a little methanol or w/e)

You can also use 91% isopropyl. Either way though, you can re-use the stuff just storr it in a sealed container cause it evaporates fast.

Then go to Kroger, buy a chunk of dry ice. I havent figured the exact ratio yet, but a $10 chunk was more than enough for 4 pounds of fish filets.

Get a tall metal cooking pot, pour in alcohol, drop in dry ice, wait a few minutes, drop in fish, mix with salad tongs.

And definitely wear your PPE unless you've got some eye warts you want to freeze off

edit: to elaborate, liquid nitro is "better" in that its colder (-330ish Faren versus -100ish Faren dry ice & ethanol). Its also cheap, the only downside is that its more difficult to come by. At least in my city you have to go to a gas supply store compared with lots of grocery stores carry dry ice.

Another thing to consider is a dry ice bath has a larger delta T value.

We want a liquid to maximize surface area and heat transfer out of the food. Nitrogen only exists as a liquid between -340 and -320 giving us a delta T of 20 degrees farenheit until it becomes a gas. A dry ice bath will always be a liquid, which gives us a delta T from -100F until +32F. I guess another factor could be heat transfer coefficents, but I'm on my phone at work so looking that up would suck

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 28, 2018

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Noslo posted:

And definitely wear your PPE unless you've got some eye warts you want to freeze off

Can I use this to remove my boyfriend's skin tags? He might be up for it if I say I'm making sushi.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Can I use this to remove my boyfriend's skin tags? He might be up for it if I say I'm making sushi.

sounds fun just be careful that he doesn't get pavlovian mindfucked by it

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
That's awesome, thank you. Liquid nitrogen is a little scary (to me, anyway). Not that dry ice doesn't have its own scary poo poo going on! But whew.

I've actually never noticed dry ice sold at grocery stores. I wonder if management would sell it if I asked...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's awesome, thank you. Liquid nitrogen is a little scary (to me, anyway). Not that dry ice doesn't have its own scary poo poo going on! But whew.

I've actually never noticed dry ice sold at grocery stores. I wonder if management would sell it if I asked...

My Harris Teeter keeps it up front. I've only purchased it twice, and both times everyone but seemingly one person on staff was confused by it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Making curry today but using chicken thighs instead of breasts. Wondering if it'll really matter but it's curry so it'll be good either way.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

im on the net me boys posted:

Making curry today but using chicken thighs instead of breasts. Wondering if it'll really matter but it's curry so it'll be good either way.

Spoiler alert: will be amazing

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think there’s anything that isn’t improved by subbing thighs for breasts.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have a confession to make. i may have eaten at roughly half the ramen joints in the los angeles metro area, and i make a pretty mean homemade tonkotsu, but i've never eaten instant ramen before. this is something i'm considering rectifying. are there any brands or product lines people swear by? i can get to a mitsuwa pretty easily, and i could also probably order off of amazon if need be.

sidenote: i can do spicy, but i'm not a huge fan of stuff that goes all in on heat to the point it crowds everything else out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I find the Malaysian/Thai ones to be pretty good overall.

If you want something closer to actual ramen there are these Japanese ones:

There's a variety and they all come in these long packages. They're not what you want for your first instant ramen experience imo but they're good for something to keep around the house.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i have a confession to make. i may have eaten at roughly half the ramen joints in the los angeles metro area, and i make a pretty mean homemade tonkotsu, but i've never eaten instant ramen before. this is something i'm considering rectifying. are there any brands or product lines people swear by? i can get to a mitsuwa pretty easily, and i could also probably order off of amazon if need be.

sidenote: i can do spicy, but i'm not a huge fan of stuff that goes all in on heat to the point it crowds everything else out

My favorite cheapo poo poo is the Mama fake duck. Just crush it up and eat it straight out of the bag. It's 50 cents.

My work lunch standby is Nong Shim Black. I make it with extra dried mushrooms, and add a handful of spinach at the end. It cooks up perfectly in the microwave, so super easy to take to work. Should run you $2.50

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My ramen love right now at home is a 1.50 little shoyu broth concentrate (like a thick liquid) that you add some boiling water to.
My favorite fast noodles are Moroheiya “Green Noodles”

Then just add fun stuff. Edamame. Corn. Scallions. Egg. Silken tofu. And I kinda like Kim chi on top.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Do the Sun Noodle kits count as "instant"? If so, they're pretty good.

On the topic, does anyone make their own dashi powder? Not really sure it'd be any more beneficial vs. just soaking kombu.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Homemade dashi powder seems like a whole lot of effort for nothing. The only post I can even find about doing it is to make your own dashi powder with no MSG, which :lol:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Homemade dashi powder seems like a whole lot of effort for nothing. The only post I can even find about doing it is to make your own dashi powder with no MSG, which :lol:

How do you make dashi without seaweed :confused:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hauki posted:

How do you make dashi without seaweed :confused:

Just fish, I guess? Blecch.

e: I don't like instant ramen very much, but kimchi is a necessity for me when I do eat it.

I also just like to soften up the noodles and serve them with scrambled eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love instant ramen. There's a lot of packs I can't find easily in the US that are legit delicious.

One that I can, though, is Nissin Raoh. The tonkotsu and miso packs are pretty good. I've found a Toyama style bowl that has surprisingly good noodles, too.

Just don't compare instant to stuff you get at a shop.