Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If you're curious about any other Kirby lore, the three previous biggest releases (Returns to Dream Land, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot) have some more self contained stories that also get increasingly tragic as you go on. Returns is fairly basic, but the two 3DS entries? Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dang. I think I was just convinced to buy star allies. Any chance it’ll go on holiday sale?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they were smart, they'd push both release dates back two weeks.

It's a shame that they're gonna cannibalize Smash's sales so much, but i think Smash is one of those evergreen titles, it'll make up for it with long term sales

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Intense Kirby lore dump
I kind of figured the new game mode was less rewriting the ending of the campaign and more starting off where it finished.

We see the three mages in the same form they are in for HiAD and Hyness inside Void Termina in the second phase of the final fight, and they end up spat out into whatever dimension that fight is supposed to being taken place in but don't get out like Kirby does.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Crawfish posted:

I kind of figured the new game mode was less rewriting the ending of the campaign and more starting off where it finished.

We see the three mages in the same form they are in for HiAD and Hyness inside Void Termina in the second phase of the final fight, and they end up spat out into whatever dimension that fight is supposed to being taken place in but don't get out like Kirby does.

Kirby went back to save his enemies :3:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was always scheduled for next week.

I know I read somewhere the digital was coming out today and the physical was coming out next week. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to get that and Smash on the same day :getin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

It's a shame that they're gonna cannibalize Smash's sales so much, but i think Smash is one of those evergreen titles, it'll make up for it with long term sales

Don't be obtuse. The only time the mid-range titles have to shine and sell well in a way that looks good in the figures is when they first release before getting buried in the shelves of Gamestops and EB Games everywhere. Releasing against the biggest game of the year is the worst thing they could do, because it means the publishers go "well, that sold like poo poo" when no-one buys it at full price and refuse to pay for new Katamari games for another decade.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't be obtuse. The only time the mid-range titles have to shine and sell well in a way that looks good in the figures is when they first release before getting buried in the shelves of Gamestops and EB Games everywhere. Releasing against the biggest game of the year is the worst thing they could do, because it means the publishers go "well, that sold like poo poo" when no-one buys it at full price and refuse to pay for new Katamari games for another decade.

I think you're being unfair by calling Smash a "mid-range title". It's big on the fighting game circuit and Nintendo has been hyping it up all year. Releasing on the same day as Katamari is unfortunate, but it's hardly the death knell for the franchise you think it is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Katamari was already a zombie

Call me back when they rerelease We <3 Katamari or Katamari Forever

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, there's a 'new' Trials game coming to Switch?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNM3tl7QaE

:toot: :toot:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a 'new' Trials game coming to Switch?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNM3tl7QaE

:toot: :toot:

I read that wrong. :(

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

wait.. hang on.. there’s a new asterix & obelix game?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

b_d posted:

wait.. hang on.. there’s a new asterix & obelix game?
It's a remaster of a PS2 game from 2005.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DoctorWhat posted:

I need to hear more about Insane Kirby Wiki Guy.

There's not much to him other than he wrote his own lore out and if anything ever contradicts it he's insanely stubborn and yells about how its "not canon" even if the games beat you over the head saying it is- or if the director himself says "it is though."

One of the most popular examples is Taranza's storyline from Triple Deluxe. There's a sincerely tragic story being told via the post game super boss when you find the dimensional mirror. Dedede breaks it and closes that hole. From there on Robobot refers to it and builds on that story, the official artwork in promotion materials show that it's canon, heck even Star Allies big celebration artwork for Taranza shows that it's canon as well as giving him a attack that references it.

Kirby Wiki Guy refuses to accept it though because he has some theory he cooked up and would rather not admit he was wrong- so a lot of people who follow the stories just kind of laugh at the guy for being a dunce.

Crawfish posted:

It's actually tied to dream friends. Win with a Wave 3 friend and Hyness gets knocked into the Zero pool where you'll later find him in Another Dimension. The only reason I said you rewrite the ending is because the game pretty much says that it's there to overwrite "the sad ending" and when you fight corrupt hyness it's just "his only hope of being saved is you" etc. Heck if you don't get 100 hearts by the time you finish Hyness the girls straight up die along with him and it plays a "bad ending" noise from Kirby 64.
I wasn't really sure if it should be taken on the nose as time travel but just giving them a good ending where they don't have to die and they can become purified.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright, well, will talk about it in spoiler tags as it covers a handful of games. Also pardon me as it's like 4:30am so I'm not about to proofread a massive post.

That was incredible thank you

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Kins posted:

It's a remaster of a PS2 game from 2005.

hmm... it’s probably pretty bad. BUt what if it rules.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is my third time posting it, but I don't care.

I love Kirby lore.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy reading about deep kirb lore

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But what does that make meta Knight

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I kinda want an anime that deals with all of this, but I feel like Kirby lore would lose some magic if Nintendo started directly addressing it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, the anime they do have has the right idea in that it's its own thing. It makes up it's own canon and has no relation to the actual plots going on so it can do it's own spin on things. (The only downside being Dedede is now considered a villain by a ton of people despite the fact he was only a villain for a single game, and just misunderstood/possessed all the other times if not outright genuinely heroic)

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But what does that make meta Knight

Who actually knows :v: That's one thing I don't think they'll ever properly address as he's supposed to be mysterious and make you wonder if he's a Kirby or just something that looks like him.

Heck there's a whole race of weapon users like him I guess- Morpho Knight being a literal Knight from Hell and Galacta Knight, a warrior that can carve open holes in reality and use the breakdown of that tear as a attack. Galacta Knight in particular is fun because his plotline is actually going in reverse through all the games. You first encounter him at his death and the ongoing games show how he got there as he's traveling backwards in time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Where does Kirby's Avalanche take place in the timeline

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mak0rz posted:

Where does Kirby's Dream Course take place in the timeline

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wezmon posted:

When I last looked 3rd party portable switch docks were suspected to be bricking consoles. Is that still a thing? Are there any miniature adaptors that are proven to be safe?
In short, no.

There's no licensed third-party docks, period. Amazon has some unlicensed ones but they come with caveats like "don't dock your Switch when updating firmware, otherwise it's good!" The main bricking issue happened last year when Nyko released their portable dock and it bricked a few units after the release of the 5.0 firmware. Nyko was replacing Switches for anyone who experienced the issue, but the bigger problem is there was no way to transfer saves from bricked units, so people were losing 200 hours in BotW and all that. Without cloud saves, it wasn't worth the risk of using a third-party dock.

Now that cloud saves are a thing, I'd be willing to try a third-party dock from a reputable manufacturer that would replace a broken Switch if it were to happen. But Nyko appears to have stopped selling their dock and the FastSnail, et al. ones on Amazon I wouldn't call reputable.

Also the official dock is $70 on Amazon which comes with an AC adapter, which makes it not crazy more expensive than the third-party ones once you factor in an additional AC adapter.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Switch in TV mode draws an irregular, variable current that, at present, only Nintendo's chipset can consistently and safely provide.
I don't think this is actually an issue. What is an issue is using a non-OEM AC adapter with the OEM dock, because the implementation of USB-PD in the dock is botched and so only the OEM adapter is guaranteed to work. Third-party docks could, theoretically, do this correctly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dream Course and 3D Blast are both different takes on the first games story just to fit the games

Avalanche takes place in the Timeline where Robotnik kills Sonic and the Mean Bean Machine runs unopposed

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm glad that in the fat future, the tetris crew finally showed up to restore balance to the universe :unsmith:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

It is and it is!

Well poo poo idk how I missed that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What a brilliant concept

https://twitter.com/Jp3ilson/status/1067987863713660929?s=19

If this were local with a big game I hadn't already bought, I'd do it for sure

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's not much to him other than he wrote his own lore out and if anything ever contradicts it he's insanely stubborn and yells about how its "not canon" even if the games beat you over the head saying it is- or if the director himself says "it is though."

One of the most popular examples is Taranza's storyline from Triple Deluxe. There's a sincerely tragic story being told via the post game super boss when you find the dimensional mirror. Dedede breaks it and closes that hole. From there on Robobot refers to it and builds on that story, the official artwork in promotion materials show that it's canon, heck even Star Allies big celebration artwork for Taranza shows that it's canon as well as giving him a attack that references it.

Kirby Wiki Guy refuses to accept it though because he has some theory he cooked up and would rather not admit he was wrong- so a lot of people who follow the stories just kind of laugh at the guy for being a dunce.

I really wanna read this dude's petulant rants.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What a brilliant concept

https://twitter.com/Jp3ilson/status/1067987863713660929?s=19

If this were local with a big game I hadn't already bought, I'd do it for sure

That's awesome. The game is 60 though, so the other 40 is for one pizza and two *cans* of "pop"

Like am I missing something? In canada do they have big 2-liter cans of "pop" instead of bottles? Because that seems a bit steep, even for delivery

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

That's awesome. The game is 60 though, so the other 40 is for one pizza and two *cans* of "pop"

Like am I missing something? In canada do they have big 2-liter cans of "pop" instead of bottles? Because that seems a bit steep, even for delivery
It's Canada. EB Games Canada's website lists Ultimate as being CA$80.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

THE loving MOON posted:

:eng101: A bunch of places in Canada call it soda, and a bunch of places in the States call it pop.

But thanks to tweets like this, the stereotype continues.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm still stuck on the two liter cans.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

That's a really cute thing and I'd pay for it just for the novelty if it was locally available

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Yeah $80 is the standard price for new Switch games round these parts.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh poo poo so that is a good deal then.

And hey the bag their milk up there, god knows what other degeneracy they get up to

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The Kins posted:

Yeah all Switch titles are $79.99 CAD MSRP. It’s... not great.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What does Harvest Life have that Stardew doesn't?

Cattail sounds like the sort of concept that I like. Like Shelter but I doubt it's well executed.

Animal Hunter Z seems super hosed up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

THE loving MOON posted:

And hey the bag their milk up there, god knows what other degeneracy they get up to

That's mostly an Ontario thing. Don't lump us all together with those creeps :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
128gb memory card for $20 on Amazon, since people were asking about them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWZWYVP/ref=twister_B071R715MZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1