Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Edward Mass posted:

This series hasn’t been bad, but it sure as hell has been OK.

Yeah, it's just been OK.

So far it hasn't touched the highs of Moffat's stuff, but it's also not hit the rock-bottom nadirs either.

On the one hand it's been what I've wanted from Doctor Who in a while; just a set of adventures in time and space, no puzzle boxes and a break from arcs. Whittaker is great as the Doctor, it's nice to have a full TARDIS crew (even if it suffers from the 5th Doctor problem of not really knowing what to do with juggling so many companions), the cinematography is great, Akinola's music is great, and the series as a whole is approachable to my family in a way that it hasn't been since RTD's era.

And on the other it feels so constrained by Chibnall's painfully mediocre writing and his whole, "Well, I don't know how to end this story, so it just ends abruptly." approach, or just ends in an emotionally unsatisfying way (arsehole antagonist just saunters/teleported away, plot resolutions happen off screen), and something just seems oddly cold and clinical about the series, despite the fact that Whittaker is one of the warmest Doctors in a while. I dunno :shrug:

Anyway, just a heads-up for everyone, there's murmerings that the BBC might be holding a Brexit debate thing (don't ask - save your sanity) on the sunday evening of the series finale which might affect the timetables.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Despite enjoying no season long arc or anticipation of a big bad climax fight, I do hope the finale has a bit more weight or impact on the Doctor than these transient stories.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
This is hardly Who-related, but I just got word from my university that I've been accepted in their PhD programme! Perhaps one day I will be a doctor too. :eng101:

I assume the rainbow shirt and suspenders are issued after conferment

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

This is hardly Who-related, but I just got word from my university that I've been accepted in their PhD programme! Perhaps one day I will be a doctor too. :eng101:

I assume the rainbow shirt and suspenders are issued after conferment

You get the scarf after your first year.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The impostor syndrome and mental illness are bequeathed to you after you become a dissertator though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mycomancy posted:

The impostor syndrome and mental illness are bequeathed to you after you become a dissertator though.

Hard confirm.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Plus it leads into Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, which is one hell of a 1-2 Punch and two of my favorite revival episodes.

Edit: Let's not.... let's not talk about In the Forest of the Night..... :negative:

My brother made the lions for In the Forest of the Night so I have a soft spot for it :kiddo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ones on Nelson's Column? That's pretty cool :)

Believe me, I lay the vast bulk of the blame for that episode squarely on the writer (and Moffat), not the props people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The ones on Nelson's Column? That's pretty cool :)

Believe me, I lay the vast bulk of the blame for that episode squarely on the writer (and Moffat), not the props people.

Yeah, he's done quite a bit of work on Dr Who so sometimes I have to see terrible episodes because he has stuff in it. More hits than misses though, fortunately.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Unless I'm forgetting another reference somewhere, the Doctor is referring to the final scene of season 5 when he says goodbye to the newly married Amy and Rory, then entices them back into the TARDIS after getting a phonecall about a Mummy running around loose on the Orient Express.

Which I absolutely love, because based on the episode, like 4 seconds after convincing them to run out on their family to spend their honeymoon having this adventure with him, he took them somewhere completely differently while probably scoffing at them for not realizing what an obvious trap it was :allears:

I thought the rumor was that the lost the script between seasons and so they had to shelve it for a bit.

Anyways, this season is better than Season 8 for sure and unpopular opinion the 1st season of the revival (though I give it a pass because it was trying to balance so much).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’m very late to the party as my wife and I finally caught up on this season over a rainy weekend.

1 - we both love Jodie and Team TARDIS.

2 - there hasn’t been a clunker episode this season but no single episode stands out.

3 - and this is a personal observation...THAT loving SPIDER EPISODE. :cry: Seriously, I don’t know why but the spiders and cobwebs in that episode gave me the drat willies for the rest of the night.

4 - four decades after The Ark In Space, actual bubble wrap is truly deadly.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Døctör Whø: A Mööse Bit My Sister Ønce

e: "We'd know if we were vampires, right?"

Murderion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 2, 2018

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Kevin Eldon has such a distinctive voice

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME
This episode is a great combo of classic Who style farting around in papier mache caves and high concept prestige sci-fi.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Murderion posted:

This episode is a great combo of classic Who style farting around in papier mache caves and high concept prestige sci-fi.

I'm digging it, but I'm learning to curb my mid episode praise in case they suddenly pull a "Actually late stage capitalism is cool and good, you whiny babies" ending outta nowhere.

Also, I was really really hoping someone was going to run out of the woods near the beginning yelling "TROOOOOOOOOOOLL!!!".

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

That got very surreal at the end, to say the least.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Pushed through a dimensional barrier by an abstract consciousness of a thinking universe in the form of a rubber frog. Brilliant *Whittaker Grin*

Enjoyable enough - bit of a breakneck pace, but that's preferable to something glacially slow, and I can't hate something as weird as what it's attempting.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

That was bonkers and I loved it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My housemate walked in on the frog sequence out of context and was very confused.

Also, poor Graham.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"sentient universe desperate for a friend" is a great episode.

"blind norweigian girl scared of fake monsters" is a great episode

I have no idea why they need to be the same episode.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Rather rushed and breathless, too expo-dump heavy (par for the course) but looked gorgeous and I can’t possibly hate something so mental that it ends up with the Doctor fleeing flesh-eating moths and having a conversation with a lonely separate sentient universe that has taken the form of talking frog.

Probably my fav ep of this series, though I have missed a couple.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

SiKboy posted:

I'm digging it, but I'm learning to curb my mid episode praise in case they suddenly pull a "Actually late stage capitalism is cool and good, you whiny babies" ending outta nowhere.

Actually late stage capitalism will get you eaten by môths, you craven Dökkàlfar.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Having now seen the ending, yeah that was a good, fun episode with some emotional punch with Grahams scenes. Have I mentioned that I fully retract all doubts I may have expressed when Bradley Walsh was announced as a companion? Because he has been doing a great job.

Also, loved that Norwegian Dads Slayer T-shirt was reversed in the mirror universe.

This was a very busy episode, and the ending was a bit "what just happened?" but overall I enjoyed it. More or less on a par with last weeks I reckon. Didnt have Alan Cumming, but then the aliens last week felt more shoehorned in than this week, so i think thats a wash.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Easily my favourite of the series so far. Really enjoyed that. Didn't feel rushed to me - maybe a bit pacier than some other episodes this season but that just means it's on a par with other seasons of the revival, which I like.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I do think the episode may have been serviced better as a two-parter. Have the first part end with the reveal of Grace, and then have give the second part more room to breathe to develop this 'conscious universe' idea without some of the more forced exposition.

As it stands though, I do hope this writer makes a return for next season. I've very much missed the occasional Moffat-style "unfolding mystery" episode.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Enjoyed that. More high concept surrealism in DW please

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really enjoyed that. Properly bonkers ending too, and a gut punch for Graham. I thought he and Ryan would get a hug in, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was sweet. Probably the 2nd best episode of the series. The anti-zone was awesome - it felt like a 1970s classic who set sandwiched between the two high-quality higher-production value worlds. I half expected a Silurian or Alpha Centauri to appear!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's been such a pleasure to watch a series arc based on companions, and not magic pixie companions but real people. It's definitely something we've missed in Doctor Who for a long time and didn't know we missed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do feel like the frog climax was a bit at odds with the intended character arc stuff, so the Doctor ping pongs between "This is a TRAP, they're all FAKE! REJECT THEM!" :mad: to being curious and empathetic. It actually felt pretty out of character for the Doctor to be "the Soli-whatever is like a kid with chicken pox... EVIL AND MUST BE SHUNNED!" but they needed her to be that way to be the driving force pushing Graham and Erik to face their grief.

I actually feel like it could've been a two-parter, with Grace's reveal being the cliffhanger and save the Ryan and the girl in the negazone for next week, have the sentient universe conjure companions for Yaz and the Doctor, maybe have the Doctor realise what it's doing, but it engages her directly about instead of manipulating her. Maybe bring a special guest in, like Alex Kingston for that.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 2, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Listen to this, neither universe was our universe or at least it wasn't our earth.

I have proof.
In the beginning of the episode:
Doctor: "We're in Norway. One of the frilly bits on the top"
A few seconds later:
Doctor: "A cottage in Norway, in winter, but no smoke coming out of the chimney"

So they're in northern Norway in winter. But there's no snow except a little bit on the mountain tops, the forest is completely green, and looking at the background the sun must be reasonably high in the sky.
That's not how earth northern Norway works in winter.
I think they're stuck in an endless set of mirror universes.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

I do feel like the frog climax was a bit at odds with the intended character arc stuff, so the Doctor ping pongs between "This is a TRAP, they're all FAKE! REJECT THEM!" :mad: to being curious and empathetic.

I read it that the Doctor's problem wasn't what the mirror universe wanted, or the prospect of spending eternity trapped with it, but with the mirror universe exploiting the loneliness of two men who'd been recently bereaved. That's a dick move to pull on anyone, but she's more than willing to engage with it on her own terms, as equals, with a deal she's entered into with her eyes open.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carbon dioxide posted:

Listen to this, neither universe was our universe or at least it wasn't our earth.

I have proof.
In the beginning of the episode:
Doctor: "We're in Norway. One of the frilly bits on the top"
A few seconds later:
Doctor: "A cottage in Norway, in winter, but no smoke coming out of the chimney"

So they're in northern Norway in winter. But there's no snow except a little bit on the mountain tops, the forest is completely green, and looking at the background the sun must be reasonably high in the sky.
That's not how earth northern Norway works in winter.
I think they're stuck in an endless set of mirror universes.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Plus that there's no smoke coming out just means it's empty. Weakass dialogue.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I noticed that too.

Plus that there's no smoke coming out just means it's empty. Weakass dialogue.

Graham does say “maybe it’s a holiday let”.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is probably my favorite episode so far, even surpassing The Woman Who Fell To Earth, I absolutely loved it. Also Erik was an incredibly lovely father, holy gently caress.

I love that they reversed the image in the mirror world so everybody looked the same but just very slightly off, which really nailed the sense of "everything is wrong but technically everything is the same" they were going for.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was the best of the series for me, the first episode to really stand out.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
That was a really satisfying conclusion to Graham's grief arc, but I'm worried that means he won't be around for the next season.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I do feel like the frog climax was a bit at odds with the intended character arc stuff

i dunno,

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Of course he will be back, he'd needed for the dynamic between himself and a returning Wilf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That has got to be the crown jewel episode of the season, right? Or am I just a terrible Doctor Who fan who ate that episode up.