Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was looking at that watch and got lost on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Tera Melos live tonight for the first time in many years (they were opening for Minus the Bear) and I guess they could either qualify as awesome music poo poo or stupid music poo poo depending on how you look at them. I was watching the guitarist's feet for most of their set. He's got this gigantic pedalboard and he was just constantly jumping from pedal switch to pedal switch and it was loving hypnotizing to watch :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJALu4w-VKQ

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

I love the two seconds of this video (around 1:40) showing someone actually trying to play this thing,
demonstrating what an absolutely stupid concept this is. Wanna see somebody doing this on stage.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Chalupa Joe posted:

I started out playing right handed, and switching to playing lefty after a few months of struggle instantly felt more normal to me and was a heck of a lot easier in that it didn't feel like having to constantly fight the instrument.

Ditto, but it was after a few hours. It just wasn't going to work. I switched the guitar around and then it made sense.
I'm a lefty that's been playing left handed guitar and bass for decades.

Danyull posted:

I'm left handed and in 10 or so years of playing have never once even tried a left handed guitar. My left hand has always been better at finer movements like writing while my right arm is stronger, so it's always made sense to me for the left to be the one moving around to hit frets. If anything I feel like it should be the other way around for right handed people

There is more than one way to be left handed. Different people are different. I played drums for a while, saw no advantage to switching the kit around. I shoot guns right handed.
Do what works for you.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes I play a mandolin and it's just an upside down guitar

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
it might only be a mockup or prototype, b-but -
are those keys whittled out of wood ??

Fair Hallion fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 30, 2018

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Their 3d-printer probably didn't have the resolution to make them smooth.

e: It doesn't say that it's an analog synth anywhere. Which probably means that it's digital. Which means, just use your phone ffs.

Pondex fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 30, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

I understand taking a right handed guitar and stringing it backwards if you're left handed, but I cannot wrap my head around just flipping the guitar over and playing like that.

It sort of makes sense for playing lead. Albert King was able to get all of those insane 2 whole step bends because of that (he also tuned down to something wacky like CFCFAD) but anything with chords must be a total pain in the rear end. I think the guy from the Ataris played that way too.

Eric Gales plays it just flipped over. In fact, I think his brothers do too; I remember reading something about the oldest one watching Hendrix and figured that's how you are supposed to play and then showed his brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-f2Pby42eA

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I'm pretty sure my next guitar is going to be a fancy Ibanez that has a Edge-Zero ii bridge. I have generally avoided locking tremolo's for 20-something years now, because I had a Jackson Dinky with a Floyd when I was like 13, and it was a nightmare to deal with at the time.

Is there some sort of guide for how to properly setup an Ibanez edge-zero ii bridge? Dr. Faustus I know you have a billion guitars with that bridge,or something similar, teach me your ways please. I have looked on Youtube and found a few ok videos but I need an even more basic explanation, because it's all new to me basically.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Avoid the Edge III. It works fine at first but one misstep and the knife edge pivots just crumple like butter and you can't just drop in a new trem without spending hundreds.

Other edge trems are better as you can replace the knife edges. Setup is a balancing act between the springs in the back and the strings in the front and the challenge is getting all 6 strings balanced while in tune, as the springs are essentially offering even pressure on the back you're really balancing tension from the low strings to the high ones, so always restring and tune in the order 6-1-5-2-4-3. Once you get the lowest and highest strings balanced you'll have fewer problems.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
All this talk about left handed players stringing right handed and no mention of Mononeon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yGWcLjgZG4

(this is not stupid music poo poo in the slightest though)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Malaria posted:

So I'm pretty sure my next guitar is going to be a fancy Ibanez that has a Edge-Zero ii bridge. I have generally avoided locking tremolo's for 20-something years now, because I had a Jackson Dinky with a Floyd when I was like 13, and it was a nightmare to deal with at the time.

Is there some sort of guide for how to properly setup an Ibanez edge-zero ii bridge? Dr. Faustus I know you have a billion guitars with that bridge,or something similar, teach me your ways please. I have looked on Youtube and found a few ok videos but I need an even more basic explanation, because it's all new to me basically.

For anything Ibanez Rich Harris is your guy.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Verizian posted:

Avoid the Edge III. It works fine at first but one misstep and the knife edge pivots just crumple like butter and you can't just drop in a new trem without spending hundreds.

Other edge trems are better as you can replace the knife edges. Setup is a balancing act between the springs in the back and the strings in the front and the challenge is getting all 6 strings balanced while in tune, as the springs are essentially offering even pressure on the back you're really balancing tension from the low strings to the high ones, so always restring and tune in the order 6-1-5-2-4-3. Once you get the lowest and highest strings balanced you'll have fewer problems.

Floating bridges are a pain in the arse to change strings on, and people will say that you have to change one string at a time. This is a lie:

Here is the process I've done for Edge and Edge Pro bridges on the RGs I've had (It works for me, if you break your guitar somehow, it's not my fault) :v:

1) If you put a small block of wood (or a pad of post-it notes works well) under the bridge so it can't fall into the body - You want something which is small enough to easily get out again, and thick enough so that the bridge sits flat, then you can remove all of the strings and not have to spend 3 hours setting everything up again.

2) Remove all of the strings, loosen off the clamps, and set the fine-tuners to halfway - the springs pull the bridge back against the block, you can clean all the TONE crud off easily, life is good.

3) I usually feed the strings in so that the ball-ends are at the headstock because I'm lazy and can't be bothered cutting them off, and the balls stop the strings from slipping when you tune up (if you have locking tuners or vintage style with the slots instead of the holes this probably doesn't work and you'll have to cut the ends off anyway).

4) cut the strings at the bridge end about 1-1.5" from the saddles (This just happens to be in line with the edge of the cavity that the bridge sits in), then feed them into the bridge and clamp down. You want enough length that you can tune up to pitch, but because they're held on by the balls at the other end, you don't need more than a turn on the tuning posts.

5) Tune up - stretch the strings etc, once everything is in tune (i.e. balanced properly) the block under the bridge becomes loose, and you can take it out.

6) Check the tuning, fix the clamps at the nut, adjust tuning if necessary at the fine tuners and you're done.

The preload on the bridge springs shouldn't need adjustment unless you change string gauge or are setting up for alternate tunings.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 1, 2018

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is almost step-for-step exactly what I do, except when I do string "backwards" through the tuning peg and down to the saddle, I don't pull the string all the way to the ball-end. Or, when I string normally I often don't trim the string at the tuner.

I like to leave plenty of string curled up for two reasons:
1) KD knows why, and
2) If you break a string at the saddle (that's where my breaks always happen) you can un-clamp the saddle, throw the little bit of trapped string away, unwind some string from the tuner, and clamp the string back down. The string is already stretched so pretty much all you have to do is tune back up, clamp back down, and fine tune. Keeps you playing until you're ready to change strings.

And it looks really goofy which to me is a plus.

:snoop:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Never pegged you for a Jin Kazama fan, Doc! Nice. :)

In further Stupid (but Awesome) Music poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zm5QD7smSw

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Yeah that video nearly made me buy an ocean machine until I remembered I have no use for one other than obviously getting really high and loving around with it

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jin? Pfft, Armour King all the way.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is almost step-for-step exactly what I do, except when I do string "backwards" through the tuning peg and down to the saddle, I don't pull the string all the way to the ball-end. Or, when I string normally I often don't trim the string at the tuner.

I like to leave plenty of string curled up for two reasons:
1) KD knows why, and
2) If you break a string at the saddle (that's where my breaks always happen) you can un-clamp the saddle, throw the little bit of trapped string away, unwind some string from the tuner, and clamp the string back down. The string is already stretched so pretty much all you have to do is tune back up, clamp back down, and fine tune. Keeps you playing until you're ready to change strings.

And it looks really goofy which to me is a plus.

:snoop:

Wait, so what's holding the string in at the other end if you have the balls at the headstock?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wait, so what's holding the string in at the other end if you have the balls at the headstock?

You don't string through a Floyd Rose like you do a Strat, you cut the ball off and then clamp it into the saddle.

BDA fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 2, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What!? loving really? God drat.

I've never played anything with a Floyd Rose, let alone restring one so this is super strange to me. Time to look up a video on it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

What!? loving really? God drat.

It's a pain in the dick. I'm pretty bad at cranking down on the bare end to hold it in place.

Never mind how bad I am at playing. My stringing problems are legion.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think the floyd rose speedloaders are the ones that don't require you to snip the ball off?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That looks so overly designed. Hell no.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Faustus please censor and tag your crimes before posting :bigtran:

s.i.r.e. posted:

That looks so overly designed. Hell no.

This is me looking at every non hardtail guitar honestly

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What's the perceived advantage of tension on the clipped end of a string over a traditional ball sitting in a U or a hole?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Floyd Rose style bridges are "double locking" as in they lock the string in the bridge and at the headstock via a locking nut.
This is supposed to increase tuning stability.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
To be fair they work really well at what they set out to do, there's just a lot of tradeoffs to live with. What ended up killing it for me was that having the bridge suspended on springs gave the strings kind of a spongy feel that I didn't care for.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only real point in favor of locking trems is you can do siqq divebombs and squeals without knocking everything out of tune

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If you don't see the appeal of making crazy laser gun noises why did you even buy a guitar

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The obvious solution is a headless guitar with double ball end strings.

It just makes the most sense. It offers simple and stable design options. And now there are more access to strings to satiate different tastes. So you can adjust the tension based on the preferred scale length. String changes would only take a minute or so with no clipping strings.

I mean look at a headless guitar and tell me where it is over designed?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

If you don't see the appeal of making crazy laser gun noises why did you even buy a guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-2KHk0ZV6U&t=260s

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Back when my buddy and I were playing Tekken 3 I only had two Ibanezes (I know!) and the younger one got Jin, while the JEM got Heihachi. My friend insisted on playing Paul so I became a Jack of all Tekkens but master of none. :(
There's a metaphor for my musical endeavors in there somewhere.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have never owned a locking trem but I 1000% support wykkyd divebombz and squeals.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Back when my buddy and I were playing Tekken 3 I only had two Ibanezes (I know!) and the younger one got Jin, while the JEM got Heihachi. My friend insisted on playing Paul so I became a Jack of all Tekkens but master of none. :(
There's a metaphor for my musical endeavors in there somewhere.

so when are you gonna get a chrome js1000 and put yoshimitsu on there?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"I can do stupid poo poo just with my hands"

words to live by

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

http://users.wfu.edu/breckers/howtoplayguitar.htm

quote:

The first guitar I bought was a Silvertone. Later I bought a Fender Telecaster, but it really doesn’t matter what kind you buy as long as the tuning pegs are on the end of the neck where they belong. A few years back someone came out with a guitar that tunes at the other end. I’ve never tried one. I guess they sound alright but they look ridiculous and I imagine you’d feel pretty foolish holding one. That would affect your playing. The idea isn’t to feel foolish. The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

In further Stupid (but Awesome) Music poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zm5QD7smSw

Telecasters rule.

It's nice to see their versatility shown in videos like this.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for all the locking tremolo chat. Gonna be interesting, but I think changing it up a bit is probably good.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

so when are you gonna get a chrome js1000 and put yoshimitsu on there?
Unfortunately I've never met a JS that I enjoyed playing. I'm a big fan of some of the early Ibanez guitars that led to the JS. One of my friends has an old guitar, I think it is a 540 Radius (not sure any longer), that looks like the one Satch is holding on the cover of Dreaming #11, and that guitar is awesome. The actual JSs, though, there's something about the fretboard radius + fretwire + neck dimensions that just makes me want to put it down. Unless I haven't met the right one yet.

I just realized I need to buy Tekken 7, so I'm gonna go do that now have to wait because the XBox version is getting panned a lot online and I need to see how my PC would run the Steam version.

My last comment on current tremolo chat: If I want to do divebombs and squealy harmonics, or just want to play pretty chords and put a nice vibrato on them, I would much rather do that with a solid double-locking trem. That said, in my day-to-day playing I would much rather play a hard-tail and just work my way around those flourishes. I'm lucky in that I actually enjoy putting an hour or two into re-stringing a guitar, because I will strip it down to parts and clean it thoroughly and do a pretty meticulous setup on it before I finish. That doesn't mean I don't really prefer to just cut a set of strings off, zip a set on, tune stretch and go. And I won't even get started on how limited you are with a floating trem if you want to change tunings. gently caress that noise. You basically have to dedicate a guitar to be the platform for just that tuning, then decide if you need to change string gauges. Not so bad if you have several guitars I guess. Hard-tails are awesome and if Ibanez offered more H/S/H RGs with hard-tails I would be buying them.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I’ll echo that Floyd Rose trems are a lot of fun and that divebombing rules, but they are tricky. Bending any note noticeably causes every other string to go pretty significantly flat and changing strings or adjusting the action takes about eight times longer, etc.

Non-floating trems are way easier to play in terms of note stability, and you don’t have to be quite as delicate with them, meaning you can beat on them a little bit harder when you’re playing. Also, in my personal experience, Floyd Rose guitars tend to not have quite the sustain of other guitars due to not having nearly as much contact with the body wood, although the significance of this is debatable as anybody who knows what they’re doing with a Floyd is going to have the distortion turned up to 11 because what the gently caress even is the point of having one if you’re not flicking the trem arm and divebombing harmonics left right and center constantly under full gain?