Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ariong posted:

There are only two genders.

Gamer, and non-gamer.

Trainers rise up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Trainers rise up

When you trying to catch shinies you rise up
Tell Eevee that she's gotta rise up
The one who says pika-pi's gotta rise up, rise up

I imagine perfect catching mon at six IV, is this chain what gets me? 31? What if I do sixty?
When I miss, do I try again or do I quickly flee, will I break this chain for a shiny?

See I never thought I'd chain past twenty.
Some who can't use gyro get half as many
Ask anybody why they throwing fast, with pinaps, eschewing razz, they want candy to train AVs that last, that's plenty

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nodosaur posted:

but you get charmanders by starting a chain

I knew it'd be a while before they started appearing I'm just trying to figure out what kind of time investment I'm looking at here and trying to see if I'm doing it right. I'm worried I did something to make Charmanders stop appearing at all.

There is a real, real good place to find Charmanders.

Go east from Cerulean city, around the corner and to the Rock Tunnel, then take the first ladder down from the entrance.

You'll be in a large chamber, and four to five Pokemon will spawn almost immediately. If they aren't Charmanders, just go up and down the ladder again. Real easy to generate lots of Pokemon and thus Charmanders.

It's great if you want to use a lure too, as the lure lasts a certain number of steps and going up and down a ladder uses pretty much no movement so it'll last forever.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

There is a real, real good place to find Charmanders.

Go east from Cerulean city, around the corner and to the Rock Tunnel, then take the first ladder down from the entrance.

You'll be in a large chamber, and four to five Pokemon will spawn almost immediately. If they aren't Charmanders, just go up and down the ladder again. Real easy to generate lots of Pokemon and thus Charmanders.

It's great if you want to use a lure too, as the lure lasts a certain number of steps and going up and down a ladder uses pretty much no movement so it'll last forever.

Huh, that's good to know. Potentially relevant in like, seafoam islands or something

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

it takes about an hour in my experience to chain 11 charmanders so once you've got that initial investment down you're gold

I'm gonna need a lot more max lures then.

Leaving that aside for now then.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

I'm gonna need a lot more max lures then.

Leaving that aside for now then.

I'd wait until you have the shiny charm to go for shinies. I chained 323 Ponytas earlier this week and ended up with the nearly perfect IV Rapidash I'm using right now, but no shinies of any species

edit: That's without a shiny charm, mind you

edit: I named my Omanyte Croissant. I don't really know why, but I stand by the decision

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 30, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

I'd wait until you have the shiny charm to go for shinies. I chained 323 Ponytas earlier this week and ended up with the nearly perfect IV Rapidash I'm using right now, but no shinies of any species

edit: That's without a shiny charm, mind you

I'm not trying to go for a shiny Charmander yet.

I just want one with good EVs.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not trying to go for a shiny Charmander yet.

I just want one with good EVs.

IV's. That won't be too hard then, you're guaranteed 4 perfect IV's on every catch from 31 onward, with the chance for 5 or 6. 31 is also where the shiny chance caps out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

IV's. That won't be too hard then, you're guaranteed 4 perfect IV's on every catch from 31 onward, with the chance for 5 or 6. 31 is also where the shiny chance caps out.

yeah, I mistyped.

But at the rate I'm burning through max lures they'll be gone in an hour so. Yeah. Saving that for later.

I got the one I got from Not!Damien already anyway to cover the slack till then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Chaining Abras is the worst, the game finally gave me one with a decent special attack IV... it's Adamant.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kurieg posted:

Chaining Abras is the worst, the game finally gave me one with a decent special attack IV... it's Adamant.

Use Madam Celadon. You’ll literally only get the Nature you want for 24 hours for a mere 10,000 investment.

Unless you haven’t reached Celadon...

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i love that the embers on shiny rapidash are still red/orange, they look sick as gently caress when you're riding rapidash combined with the dark blue fire

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I tried searching for a trade thread, but didn't see one. Sorry if this is clutter here.

But does anyone have a Raikou from the event this year you'd be willing to trade? It's the only one I ended up not getting. I have a TON of past event legendaries and mythicals I can trade one of in return. I might be able to reset some for natures still, depending on what you want. I'd prefer the Raikou to be Timid, but it doesn't have to be.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

bowmore posted:

Sure thing, I don't need anything in return, I have a few from Go just chilling in my account

Okay, I was so close to taking you up on this, but I DID IT!!! It took 5 days but I DID IT. I used my Master Ball after it broke out of a premier ball with a golden razz berry. I have no regrets. (Vaporeon is my favorite Pokemon and purple is my favorite color.)

watchoutitsabear fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hrist posted:

I tried searching for a trade thread, but didn't see one. Sorry if this is clutter here.

But does anyone have a Raikou from the event this year you'd be willing to trade? It's the only one I ended up not getting. I have a TON of past event legendaries and mythicals I can trade one of in return. I might be able to reset some for natures still, depending on what you want. I'd prefer the Raikou to be Timid, but it doesn't have to be.
Trade thread is here, unfortunately I do not have a spare Raikou.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837723&pagenumber=4

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I was looking in the wrong forum. Thanks.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Silver Falcon posted:

What points you to the Power Plant is that you just got not-Surf, and there is water there that you can now traverse. The game means for you to remember places where there was water and go back there to see what's on the other side.

Aw, I forgot it even existed, it's been what, 20 years since I played Blue. I thought it was part of the storyline in that game, though, I would have expected a quest or something there.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1068205359595044864

That's the E4 down.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Some failed science here, unfortunately you cannot spam all 20 Payday PP in an E4 fight and get a bazillion dollars. Its 12k for a base win plus 6k more if you use Payday, so it might be worth having one of your sweepers with it as a move, takes you from 48k to 72k for four wins.

Normally my E4 money grind strat in previous games would be combined with my EXP grinding, and I would take one sweeper in and five pokes Im trying to level, wipe the E4 then tank to the champion so you didn't have to watch the really long post-E4 cutscenes, but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be faster to beat the Champ with a full team

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 30, 2018

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Cool team

My champ team ended up being :
Kingler (Clawed Monet)
A-Exeggutor (Cocodon)
Weezing (Purple Haze)
Hitmonchan (Knuckles)
Aerodactyl (Archie)
Jynx (D'Arctica)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

watchoutitsabear posted:

Okay, I was so close to taking you up on this, but I DID IT!!! It took 5 days but I DID IT. I used my Master Ball after it broke out of a premier ball with a golden razz berry. I have no regrets. (Vaporeon is my favorite Pokemon and purple is my favorite color.)
Congrats!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hrist posted:

FYI Raikou will be available all December for doing your research tasks(though it's him and the other two and also the three birds so you wouldn't be guaranteed)

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm actually playing the phone game now because I want to hit level 18. They got me :negative:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone have that post somebody made in a previous thread about all problems and bugs in Gen 1?

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If anyone tells you they don't hold A during attacks or down and B hwen they throw a ball just out of muscle memory they're a loving liar

Protip: Holding Right while your health depletes totally reduces the amount of damage you take.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Bible posted:

Protip: Holding Right while your health depletes totally reduces the amount of damage you take.

it might but only because damage has slight variance, though it's not really noticeable until you get into the high double-digits :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I looked up Master Trainers on Serebii after the Eevee Master's Eevee one-shot my buddy and discovered that they all have at least +100 to every stat.

Holy poo poo that's way too much candy. I'm gonna struggle bug my way to the six I need to be able to challenge Red-

Or, at least I will try. I don't understand CP at all but apparently if I raise the CP of my legendaries I can skip the battle portions of 4/6 of the necessary masters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

collecting candy isn't difficult at all. Do a big chain and you'll get tons of that same type of candy as you try to catch more of that same Pokemon, even after you've broken the chain.

After my Drowzee catching binge I average at least 20-30 base level Courage Candy every single time I catch one.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I looked up Master Trainers on Serebii after the Eevee Master's Eevee one-shot my buddy and discovered that they all have at least +100 to every stat.

Holy poo poo that's way too much candy. I'm gonna struggle bug my way to the six I need to be able to challenge Red-

Or, at least I will try. I don't understand CP at all but apparently if I raise the CP of my legendaries I can skip the battle portions of 4/6 of the necessary masters.

The number of master trainers that you can cheese by teaching a mid-60s pokemon with no candies toxic, protect, and rest is a constant source of amusement for me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

collecting candy isn't difficult at all. Do a big chain and you'll get tons of that same type of candy as you try to catch more of that same Pokemon, even after you've broken the chain.
It isn't difficult, but it is dull. I just want to beat Red so I can consider the game complete, I don't need any Shinies or Grand Master. :(

Eminai posted:

The number of master trainers that you can cheese by teaching a mid-60s pokemon with no candies toxic, protect, and rest is a constant source of amusement for me.
Now this is interesting. What stops them from being completely wrecked while they're asleep?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
Toxic kills in six turns without healing, so toxic-protect-yolo-protect-rest-sleep wins as long as you go first and won’t get two-shot, or if you go second and won’t get three-shot. Also just toxic and protect does wonders against anyone using moves like fly.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i love that the embers on shiny rapidash are still red/orange, they look sick as gently caress when you're riding rapidash combined with the dark blue fire

Seems like an annoying holdover from the 3DS games that wouldn't correct animations based on shininess; this is why Gigalith's shiny still glows orange despite having cyan crystals.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Can you seriously not evolve Meltan without putting a ridiculous amount of time into the Go app? That's some straight up bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Separates the chaff from the true Pokemon Masters like myself

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RatHat posted:

Anyone have that post somebody made in a previous thread about all problems and bugs in Gen 1?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

FYI Raikou will be available all December for doing your research tasks(though it's him and the other two and also the three birds so you wouldn't be guaranteed)

I was talking about the serial code event thing from the actual games. I always forget the mobile game even exists I should have been more specific, I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone mentioned a good trick for getting Charmander was to go up and down ladders until it spawned because that resets its spawn chance, is there a good spot in victory road for that with Hitmonlee? I need my Hitmonlee, the only wild Pokemon I don't have.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tbh I think hyper beam not needing a recharge on kill is cool and should have carried over

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
That list has a bent towards competitive battles, no normal person gave a poo poo about most of those.

Some of them, like Mimic, didn't even work like that in the actual game, only in link battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Someone mentioned a good trick for getting Charmander was to go up and down ladders until it spawned because that resets its spawn chance, is there a good spot in victory road for that with Hitmonlee? I need my Hitmonlee, the only wild Pokemon I don't have.

It's not that ladder scumming resets the spawn chance as much as it just gives you a way to reroll another batch of Pokémon quickly. Rare spawns will still be rare, although you might be able to get one quicker if you catch chain something else while you're scumming.