Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Karanas posted:

Quick question: I destroyed the byzantine empire through the chinese and I've reconquered enough of it that I can rebuild it through decision. Problem is the succession system goes straight back to imperial elective and I don't want to deal with none of that. Will I keep my ultimogeniture system if I recreate it through 80% ownership instead?

No. The Byzantine Empire (and the Roman Empire) are locked into Imperial Elective, while the Holy Roman Empire is locked to Princely Elective. There's no way to change this in an unmodded game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

No. The Byzantine Empire (and the Roman Empire) are locked into Imperial Elective, while the Holy Roman Empire is locked to Princely Elective. There's no way to change this in an unmodded game.

I believe they said that if you're a merchant republic you keep that form of government, maybe nomads too. For normal feudal/iqta it should change though.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You can change the HRE succession if you abolish council power and have max crown authority, but Byzantium is stuck with their unique succession.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

The 'Fourth Crusade' chain is pretty awesome, although the size of the bribe to go attack Constantinople instead of the original Crusade target was really quite small. I think mine was a bit bugged because the Pope was both pissed at 'Impious Crusaders' and actively participating in the redirected Crusade.

Still, we shattered the Byzantine Empire, so that was fun.

Well, with the way the AI works the Pope can't really choose not to contribute to the war. He's always the warleader of the crusade and all the military AI sees is "I'm in a war, better get to fightin'". The fact that it's technically a war he doesn't actually want to be fighting doesn't really factor in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I went to look at the result of the most recent Crusade and didn't know Tibet was massive

:stare:

Also the Pope just took all the lands in the Levant that we conquered. Thanks.

BTW, I stuck at the economy in Paradox games so I always give myself tons of funds because I end up losing because I don't have any money, so forgive my cheating.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

So I went to look at the result of the most recent Crusade and didn't know Tibet was massive

:stare:

Also the Pope just took all the lands in the Levant that we conquered. Thanks.

BTW, I stuck at the economy in Paradox games so I always give myself tons of funds because I end up losing because I don't have any money, so forgive my cheating.

Don't worry, just play the way it's the most fun for you, nobody's judging you :)

Any yes, that's a pretty huge Tibet. It's often the case that you're playing in one part of a game, focused on what's happening around you. Then you zoom out 50 years later and holy poo poo, someone conquered half the world. I think you can look farward to seeing the Mongol Empire tangle with Tibet!

By the way, the economy side of CK2 is relatively light. Since there are almost no running cost when you're not at war, it's mostly a matter of not being able to buy all the things you want. Once you've stabilized in your Ireland game, you can try it out if you're interested, it's not difficult. You can just use the console and type "cash -357000" to take away your money. If there's a war and you need gold to hire mercenary, you can still use the console again, of course. See if you like it perhaps? But if not, then that's absolutely fine, too. Sometimes you just want to play without worrying about money, I've done that, too, in one Iceland merchant republic game that was more for fun than anything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not gonna judge anyone for cheating money, but a tip if you want to earn more than enough through legitimate means is to create a vassal republic. Just grant a duchy to a mayor of a city in a county you own (and include lower titles), and you'll create a vassal merchant republic. These guys will create trading posts for you and generally be your number one gold providers.

Just remember to use a coastal county/duchy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Money is usually my main issue too, seems to be especially bad for pagans. I know the solution to that is supposed to be raid, but when everyone around is pagan too the maintenance of your raiders ends up being more than whatever pittance you loot. :bang:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Yashichi posted:

You can change the HRE succession if you abolish council power and have max crown authority, but Byzantium is stuck with their unique succession.

For my part I was concerned about it but Imperial Elective isn't really that hard to manage, you can now call in succession support as a favor and that lasts 10 years, so all you need to do is every so often splash some cash around for your commanders and councilors and they'll happily vote for whoever you've nominated, who can be anyone in your family. Given that you might have some commanders who are unlanded, they're pretty cheap.

I mean, yeah, now that I've reformed Hellenism with Civilised and I have Heir Designation, I'd like to be able to select Primo so that I am the only vote that matters, but it's not really all that bothersome to do.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone made an anti-pope in shattered worlds?

I'm pretty sure I meet all the requirements, but it won't let me create an anti-pope (it's grayed out). Is it a shattered worlds bug?

I have 500 prestige, free investiture (empire and kingdom), and he likes me more than the pope :(.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

Money is usually my main issue too, seems to be especially bad for pagans. I know the solution to that is supposed to be raid, but when everyone around is pagan too the maintenance of your raiders ends up being more than whatever pittance you loot. :bang:

Money is rough for tribals generally but you get a lot of things to spend prestige on in exchange, which you can build using your steward who will sometimes just summon up some soldiers as well. Also consider making a republic or smaller feudal into a tributary to help fund your own transition into feudalism/republicanism/iqta. Or just be African and get that trans-saharan trade money I guess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sky Shadowing posted:

For my part I was concerned about it but Imperial Elective isn't really that hard to manage, you can now call in succession support as a favor and that lasts 10 years, so all you need to do is every so often splash some cash around for your commanders and councilors and they'll happily vote for whoever you've nominated, who can be anyone in your family. Given that you might have some commanders who are unlanded, they're pretty cheap.

I mean, yeah, now that I've reformed Hellenism with Civilised and I have Heir Designation, I'd like to be able to select Primo so that I am the only vote that matters, but it's not really all that bothersome to do.

Unlanded courtiers cannot be commanders in the Byzantine Empire iirc.

At least I tried to make one of my sons commander, but the game wouldn't let me because he was unlanded.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Yashichi posted:

Byzantium being stuck with Imperial succession, I get.

HRE being stuck with princely election, that doesn't make sense in my opinion. I think a strong enough dynasty could have shifted it to primogeniture in the mod of western Europe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

Byzantium being stuck with Imperial succession, I get.

HRE being stuck with princely election, that doesn't make sense in my opinion. I think a strong enough dynasty could have shifted it to primogeniture in the mod of western Europe.

But the post said it's not stuck with princely elective? Abolish council power, and you can change succession to primogeniture.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Also, does anyone know how the game measures who controls a specific trade zone. Is it number of trade posts in a given sea zone? When I went from tribal to merchant one of the AI families immediately built a trade post on my capital which pissed me the gently caress off. He currently has 3 and I have 2. My trade post in Northumbria has the connected to capital bonus (I assume from the sea connection due to being in the same zone?) But the one in York isn't connected to the capital, even though they're all under the umbrella of the Pictland trade zone.

If I build one in Durham would it get the connected bonus because of the land connection into the sea zone that my capital is in?

I like how you have a weeb trade zone.

JosefStalinator posted:

Has anyone made an anti-pope in shattered worlds?

I'm pretty sure I meet all the requirements, but it won't let me create an anti-pope (it's grayed out). Is it a shattered worlds bug?

I have 500 prestige, free investiture (empire and kingdom), and he likes me more than the pope :(.

I think they made a new requirement that the bishop must be at least count-level for you to popify him, which normally I avoid religious leaders having that much temporal power at all costs.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For something different, anyone got a way to win the conquest for england as William these days, is it even possible without cheating after all the changes?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well, with the way the AI works the Pope can't really choose not to contribute to the war. He's always the warleader of the crusade and all the military AI sees is "I'm in a war, better get to fightin'". The fact that it's technically a war he doesn't actually want to be fighting doesn't really factor in.

Interesting. It probably can't be done but if the Crusade follows that path it should probably switch to a different leader. It looks a little odd for the Pope to scream that everyone who dares to be a part of this vile crime shall be excommunicated and then show up with a stack of 18,000 dudes.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
In fairness, once the dust settled, it's not like the papacy refused their share of the loot or refused to acknowledge the Latin Empire as legitimate. This is just them getting a head start.

Alternatively you could pretend any troops they send are rogue armies I guess?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is the event where a nun kills you after a game of chess a random event or an assassination plot?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

snoremac posted:

Is the event where a nun kills you after a game of chess a random event or an assassination plot?

You got killed by Death

(Random event)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm sure this has been answered, but can somebody tell me what specific counties you need to form the Outremer empire? I have all of Jerusalem, the Sinai Peninsula, and about 60% of Syria.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Torrannor posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm gonna stick with my custom empire for the time being. I just wish it wasn't this horrid shade of pink. At least I don't need to rely on the de jure titles to conquer stuff.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 30, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Piell posted:

You got killed by Death

(Random event)

Yup. Remember to always let her in a pick black, after that your best chances of surviving depend on your stats: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/300708/how-do-i-win-the-chess-with-death-event

Sydin posted:

I'm sure this has been answered, but can somebody tell me what specific counties you need to form the Outremer empire? I have all of Jerusalem, the Sinai Peninsula, and about 60% of Syria.

You need the entire Near East, which I think corresponds basically to the entire Arabian peninsula*. Remember that it needs to be under your *complete* control, so if the decision isn't popping up it's time to scour your counties one by one looking for stray unowned baronies.

EDIT: just looked it up, you need the entire je jure kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, al-Jazira, Iraq, Arabia, Yemen, and the duchy of Sinai. Egypt isn't necessary, but it becomes part of de jure Outremer if you have it when you make the decision (you really want it though, it's rich as poo poo and has a bunch of Silk Road tradeposts which make you mad ducats)

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 30, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yup. Remember to always let her in a pick black, after that your best chances of surviving depend on your stats: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/300708/how-do-i-win-the-chess-with-death-event

You need the entire Near East, which I think corresponds basically to the entire Arabian peninsula. Remember that it needs to be under your *complete* control, so if the decision isn't popping up it's time to scour your counties one by one looking for stray unowned baronies.

Oh wow okay, I thought it was just holding the area around the Medditeranian. Didn't realize I had to go take the entire Peninsula. That's going to take awhile without breaking some truces, considering one dickhead owns the whole thing. :sigh:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

That's going to take awhile without breaking some truces, considering one dickhead owns the whole thing. :sigh:

If you can spare the prestige, gently caress 'em-- Muslims are going to hate the poo poo out of you anyway so make hay while the sun is shining.

Also remember to vassalize the Templars and/or Hospitallers, they consist of thousands of heavy infantry and cavalry that you can call up for a pittance, letting you punch way above your weight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah I've already got two separate holy orders vassalized who poo poo out an additional ~10K units of HI/HC and it rules.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

snoremac posted:

The level of culture in this thread is depressing sometimes but I suppose that it might not be that well known outside of teh Nordics?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Karanas posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm gonna stick with my custom empire for the time being. I just wish it wasn't this horrid shade of pink. At least I don't need to rely on the de jure titles to conquer stuff.

I mean if you form the custom empire with all the de jure territory of the Byzantine Empire and maintain it as your primary title then you should be able to form the Byz Empire as well but treat it as a titular empire, so it may slip away due to imperial elective but you shouldn't lose any holdings. I think.

You'd be stuck with pink, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I mean if you form the custom empire with all the de jure territory of the Byzantine Empire and maintain it as your primary title then you should be able to form the Byz Empire as well but treat it as a titular empire, so it may slip away due to imperial elective but you shouldn't lose any holdings. I think.

Great, and the vassal who inherits the Byzantine Empire becomes independent since emperors can't be vassals of other emperors.

I fail to see the advantage of creating the Byzantine Empire in this situation.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Great, and the vassal who inherits the Byzantine Empire becomes independent since emperors can't be vassals of other emperors.

I fail to see the advantage of creating the Byzantine Empire in this situation.

Yeah on second thought you're absolutely correct, all you'd get is prestige and a future hassle.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
What do you mean I can now only vassalize the Templars *or* the Hospitallers?

Literally unplayable.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I loaded up my ironman Africa game and it stopped being ironman. Any idea what might have caused that?

e: So the tooltip over Achievements Disabled said it was because the game wasn't set to run in ironman and the game rules weren't compatable. That doesn't make sense since the game rules are set before I began playing. I had played with different game rules while showing some stuff off to a friend, so i went and started a new game with ironman rules and ironman enabled. This then set my Africa game back to being ironman with achievements enabled. Weird.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 30, 2018

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I just ran into a very bad problem in my Ghana game. 100 years ago, I conquered Maghreb in ironman and it has de jure drifted into Ghana's sphere. Found a custom empire, rad af. I have three holy sites and I have reformed the religion to Cosmopolitan. I am now permanently locked from Imperial government, and I'm stuck at triple my vassal limit. Cosmopolitan religions can't religiously revoke titles, and that is a permanent requirement for imperial organization, as well as my critical +25 vassal limit. I'm turbofucked otherwise. I guess I could convert to Shia, change the law, die, succeed to a normal person, change to imperial law? Help!

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 30, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The level of culture in this thread is depressing sometimes but I suppose that it might not be that well known outside of teh Nordics?

The movie you're talking about is basically unknown outside Denmark, etc. But the whole chess with Death is a fairly well known thing. Even the Bill & Ted movie had a scene where Death wants to play chess with them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The death event is why I always start with carousing focus so I can get games master. Bonus synergy with the new make a friend ambition now too

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

Don't worry, just play the way it's the most fun for you, nobody's judging you :)

Any yes, that's a pretty huge Tibet. It's often the case that you're playing in one part of a game, focused on what's happening around you. Then you zoom out 50 years later and holy poo poo, someone conquered half the world. I think you can look farward to seeing the Mongol Empire tangle with Tibet!

By the way, the economy side of CK2 is relatively light. Since there are almost no running cost when you're not at war, it's mostly a matter of not being able to buy all the things you want. Once you've stabilized in your Ireland game, you can try it out if you're interested, it's not difficult. You can just use the console and type "cash -357000" to take away your money. If there's a war and you need gold to hire mercenary, you can still use the console again, of course. See if you like it perhaps? But if not, then that's absolutely fine, too. Sometimes you just want to play without worrying about money, I've done that, too, in one Iceland merchant republic game that was more for fun than anything.

Oh that's good to know! I'm probably close to getting that right now, and most of my wars that i've needed mercs for have been revolts. They keep going to war against each other, and then once has enough control, they try to take the crown. I've banished a lot of Nobles, because the Council never lets me behead anyone. Hell the Council barely lets me do anything, even when they all have high approval of me. Thing is, it almost never lets me go against the council, which I am pretty sure I can do because it tells me that will make me a tyrant.

The Muslims that control Spain used to control basically all of France and most of Germany Until we crusaded their rear end down past the Pyrenees. That's why France exists.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I leave most of the council power in place just to keep factions down, but anything I want to use a lot I buy favors and turn off. Generally just wars and grant titles (the latter because it annoys the hell out of me that I'll have like -30 "Too many duchies" and the fuckers refuse to let me hand any out)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DISCO KING posted:

I just ran into a very bad problem in my Ghana game. 100 years ago, I conquered Maghreb in ironman and it has de jure drifted into Ghana's sphere. Found a custom empire, rad af. I have three holy sites and I have reformed the religion to Cosmopolitan. I am now permanently locked from Imperial government, and I'm stuck at triple my vassal limit. Cosmopolitan religions can't religiously revoke titles, and that is a permanent requirement for imperial organization, as well as my critical +25 vassal limit. I'm turbofucked otherwise. I guess I could convert to Shia, change the law, die, succeed to a normal person, change to imperial law? Help!
huh, I thought there were two ways to get it, one with majesty and one via legalism?

Never played cosmopolitan though

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I keep seeing an event where my options are "pay a lot of gold" or "lose an artifact". It's usually something like "Oh the armory got flooded" or "oh the library got flooded". Is there anything I can do to make this happen less? I've begun hoarding lovely items in the hopes it decreases the chance of it making me choose between 1000 gold or my axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Question: If you start as a feudal realm and eventually pass the Imperial Administration realm law, do you actually adopt the Imperial government type the Byzantines have -- purple portrait frame and everything -- or are you still Feudal?