Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Discendo Vox posted:

It'd actually be a huge reduction in CTE; it's the fuckton of minor (read, "minor", they're giving themselves mini-concussions) blows in practice, even with dummy blocks, that do the damage.
As a former small school college football player I can confidently state that having brain damage doesn't keep you from becoming a partner at a law firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

As a former small school college football player I can confidently state that having brain damage doesn't keep you from becoming a partner at a law firm.

Look you posted the abs but we're all still waiting on the bank account deets. PMs are open, as always.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
still mad I missed Yuns going full Bateman

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Officially managed to pick up another government job, meaning I don't have to practice law.

Come join us, it loving owns.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Toona the Cat posted:

The country doesn’t need another presidential blowjob from a Jewish girl scandal.

Lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

this is loving pathetic

I think they should replace the entire teams with those dummies and just drive them all over the field running into one another

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think they should replace the entire teams with those dummies and just drive them all over the field running into one another

At [my favorite team’s rival that I hate] they already have.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

nm posted:

Also Kamala Harris actively defended against serious Brady violations, so gently caress her.

“Actively defended” is sort of a lol criticism to bring in the loving law thread.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Toona the Cat posted:

The country doesn’t need another presidential blowjob from a Jewish girl scandal.

A return to normalcy, truly

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Toona, think of it as squaring the circle. For America.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

uberkeyzer posted:

“Actively defended” is sort of a lol criticism to bring in the loving law thread.

No no, this is the regular law thread. The loving law thread is the legal questions megathread, it's full up with fucks.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

uberkeyzer posted:

How so?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

:trumppop:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Well you see, you defend murderers and rapists, so the government is morally justified in defending a boot stamping on a human face forever.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1068442531887632384

if the current thread title wasn't so good I would demand that you make "very legal & very cool" the new thread title.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1068442531887632384

if the current thread title wasn't so good I would demand that you make "very legal & very cool" the new thread title.

Look who unashamedly stole your idea

This is copyright ifringement right, is your cease&desist in the mail?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

uberkeyzer posted:

I honestly have no idea who she is or what she did, but I'm always opposed to the idea that advocacy should be abandoned wherever it's not popular.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

There’s a difference between advocacy and prosecutorial discretion

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

Look who unashamedly stole your idea

This is copyright ifringement right, is your cease&desist in the mail?

vox you son of a bitch you better govern urself accordingly

blarzgh posted:

I honestly have no idea who she is or what she did, but I'm always opposed to the idea that advocacy should be abandoned wherever it's not popular.

actually, it is cool and good for people to refuse to advocate for morally bankrupt social policy

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 30, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

theres actually zero difference between punching up & punching down. you imbecile. you loving moron

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Soothing Vapors posted:

actually, it is cool and good for people to refuse to advocate for morally bankrupt social policy

Hm, would you say it's very legal and very cool???

I'm so loving jealous of that phrase right now

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There’s a difference between advocacy and prosecutorial discretion

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Well you see, you defend murderers and rapists, so the government is morally justified in defending a boot stamping on a human face forever.

If this is based on that Reason article It looks like her office shouldn’t have tried to make a couple of convictions stand up on appeal. And in 2010 they had a lovely Giglio procedure and got called out on it.

uberkeyzer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 30, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Nah, I'd prefer an individual do their job instead of unilaterally decide which policies they like and don't like, unless its my County Tax Assessor Ron White who refuses to withhold vehicle registrations on account of red light camera tickets, their only possible means of enforcement, making them worthless pieces of paper in Tarrant County lol.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Red light camera tickets are an affront to God and man and using paper on them is a crime against the world

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

A prosecutor has unique ethical obligations not to make bad arguments that are not shared by other lawyers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone who is for red light cameras should have a govt monitoring camera follow them all day at all times and send them giant fines for doing things like not coming to a complete stop at an empty 4 way intersection, going 1mph over the speed limit, stepping onto a road, bumping into anyone on a sidewalk, etc

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Red light camera tickets are an affront to God and man and using paper on them is a crime against the world

Utah does a LOT of things wrong, but the state ban on red light cameras is not one of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Like, I am all for the argument that people attacking criminal defense lawyers for doing their job should be shut down, but you can't discuss a prosecutor's decisions without recognizing that the government is not entitled to a lawyer to make bad arguments when it comes to criminal prosecution. A prosecutor has ethical obligations a defense attorney, or a commercial litigator, does not.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

evilweasel posted:

A prosecutor has unique ethical obligations not to make bad arguments that are not shared by other lawyers.

Prosecutors 100% have unique obligations but that doesn’t mean they can’t (vigorously!) appeal/contest unfavorable rulings. That said I have no idea why they appealed that fake transcript case, that sounds completely batshit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

uberkeyzer posted:

Prosecutors 100% have unique obligations but that doesn’t mean they can’t (vigorously!) appeal/contest unfavorable rulings. That said I have no idea why they appealed that fake transcript case, that sounds completely batshit.

They appealed a surprising number of those types of cases when she was AG. These were not edge cases and best I can tell, reflected a change from the previous administration.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Thankfully , Harvey Weinstein is going to publicly demonstrate how prosecutorial misconduct is so common and the wave of support for him will sweep the nation and reform our system

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

uberkeyzer posted:

they can, but they can fairly be criticized for those decisions in a way you can't fairly criticize defense attorneys or commercial litigators

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

uberkeyzer posted:

Seems like you are getting it, good job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Soothing Vapors posted:

vox you son of a bitch you better govern urself accordingly

The record will show I posted almost a half hour before you.

I have prior art.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I am unfamiliar with this “fake transcript case”. Fill me in?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm talking about this:

https://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-lying-prosecutors-20150201-story.html

But this is the transcript case which is part of the Brady issues I think everyone is talking about.

https://observer.com/2015/03/california-prosecutor-falsifies-transcript-of-confession/

quote:

But here’s another doozy: The People (of California) v. Efrain Velasco-Palacios. In this unpublished opinion from the Fifth Appellate District, the California Court of Appeal reveals that state prosecutors and California Attorney General Kamala Harris continue to be part of the problem. Kern County prosecutor Robert Murray committed “outrageous government misconduct.” Ms. Harris and her staff defended the indefensible—California State prosecutor Murray flat out falsified a transcript of a defendant’s confession.

Kern County prosecutor Robert Murray added two lines of transcript to “evidence” that the defendant confessed to an even more egregious offense than that with which he had been charged—the already hideous offense of molesting a child. With the two sentences that state’s attorney Murray perjuriously added, Murray was able to threaten charges that carried a term of life in prison.

Capitalizing to the maximum on his outright fabrication, state’s attorney Robert Murray committed his own crime against the defendant at the crucial time when defense counsel was consulting with the defendant on a possible plea.

Prosecutor Murray had ample time and opportunity to correct his lies and his falsification of the transcript, but instead, he let it go until defense counsel had encouraged his client to plead guilty based on this fabricated evidence. Not until after defense counsel requested the original tape recording from which the transcript was made did Mr. Murray admit that he had added the most incriminating statements to the transcript.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1068536689977516032

thread

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Wow. That was great.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
What the actual gently caress, California?????