Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Next Friday, Sega Genesis Classics Collection, Katamari Damacy Remaster, and Smash Brothers Ultimate come out for Switch. :homebrew: I am very excited for next Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
sega and nintendo can suck a fat one, but i'm pretty excited for katamari

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

This is hosed up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Namco is cool

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

messed up this goes unpunished

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I beat Majora's Mask 3D.

I still don't like the bonus areas on the moon, and they made the Zora one more hosed up for the 3DS version. But I guess that's the price to pay for your super broken cheat mask.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apparently Katamari controls are completely unchanged and they still suck, but I kinda expect that from a Katamari game at this point.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
but katamari controls were never bad? i just looked at an article that said they were adding gyro controls which could suck (looking at you TWEWY).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 30, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

coughing stopped, but i haven't ruled out the possibility it's because i died and i'm a sixth sense ghost

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I said come in! posted:

Apparently Katamari controls are completely unchanged and they still suck, but I kinda expect that from a Katamari game at this point.

Changing the controls would ruin the whole point of the game and they never sucked wtf

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Changing the controls would ruin the whole point of the game and they never sucked wtf

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My favourite Katamari song is Lonely Rolling Star and my favourite Katamari cousin is Miso thank you for reading

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

His head is soup

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I said come in! posted:

:goofy:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 2d bonus stages at the end of me and my katamari for psp are so cool

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

remake noby noby boy too pls and than kyou

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

My favourite Katamari song is Lonely Rolling Star and my favourite Katamari cousin is Miso thank you for reading

cherry blossom color season and velvet (legs version) for me

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

McDragon posted:

hosed up that the news will run tons of stories because some dumbass robot made it to mars and none on GIRL who stretches out into the cosmos

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
oh and my favorite cousin is Dipp

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

McDragon posted:

How would you do this...would you restart girl? That just seems cruel

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

How would you do this...would you restart girl? That just seems cruel

Restarting girl would be a good idea in my opinion.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Relax Or DIE posted:

hosed up that the news will run tons of stories because some dumbass robot made it to mars and none on GIRL who stretches out into the cosmos

how far is she anyway?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

how far is she anyway?

they boosted it with like 1000x weekends and stuff to get her to reach beyond the gaalxy

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Adam Vegas posted:

mate nothing has made me happier than playing Dragon Quest XI (my first ever DQ) and hearing the amazing variety of British accents in that, it's loving fantastic especially when you're used to all British accents in media being either upper class posh, cockney, or scottish

playing the tutorial section of DQXI and hearing actual West Country accents broke my loving brain in half and left me just grinning in glee

You should play Xenoblade 2. There's a continent of Welsh people, one of Scottish people, Australian people, etc. It's great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ometeotl posted:

You should play Xenoblade 2. There's a continent of Welsh people, one of Scottish people, Australian people, etc. It's great.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/prime-ministers-questions/n10974

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just killed three Mercs that were all 1 to 3 levels above me at the same time and my Kassandra is only level 10

Feeling kinda badass rn ngl

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God, coming back to Bioshock feels so drat good. This is such a gorgeous game and the way the world is slowly explained in the early sections is so well paced. If REvil4 had good atmosphere then Bioshock's is off the charts. It's just a really great game, guys.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

God, coming back to Bioshock feels so drat good. This is such a gorgeous game and the way the world is slowly explained in the early sections is so well paced. If REvil4 had good atmosphere then Bioshock's is off the charts. It's just a really great game, guys.

too bad about the gameplay

and the story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More accurately, too bad the story continues on for several hours after the big reveal.

May 8, 2006

My favorite thing about Bioshock is playing Prey instead

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe it’s still trendy to poo poo on bio shock but honestly bio shock 1 is good, and I hear the second one is good too

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They're all fun games with some hit and miss writing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only thing I know about Bioshock is that the team behind the Minerva's Den DLC went onto make Gone Home, so maybe I'd want to check that out someday.

May 8, 2006

Don't get me wrong, I think Bioshock 1 is pretty alright (never played 2) but I prefer the immersive sim elements that it streamlined out, and I don't think it's a good enough shooter to make up for what they removed.

I do like the pipe dream hacking minigame though

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I still stand by bioshock 1, I think it owns. Bio 2 is also good but I think everyone retroactively decided the series sucked due to how bad infinite was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I still stand by bioshock 1, I think it owns. Bio 2 is also good but I think everyone retroactively decided the series sucked due to how bad infinite was.

a reasonable reaction, honestly

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am a curmudgeonly old, so I liked Bioshock and its big narrative reveal better when it was System Shock 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got Link's Awakening in the 3DS eShop last night and completed the first three dungeons. It's almost as good as I remembered but not quite. I'm exploring in between dungeons (did you know you can get the key to the level 6 dungeon, complete with the exposition dump telling you the game's major twist, immediately after completing the third dungeon?) but won't try to 100% cause I need to be done before Tuesday. Shouldn't be too hard since I remember most things.

A few initial thoughts:

--I didn't really realize it without replaying LttP first, but Link's Awakening is really the game where the Zelda dungeon formula finally got figured out. Every dungeon has a key item that is required to beat the dungeon, and which unlocks more overworld areas to explore. The key item is also usually required to beat the boss (but not always, I think that didn't become a firm thing until OoT and even then Majora's Mask went back on it).

--I like the method this game takes on it's overworld. The owl tells you a vague location to go to next, but it's entirely up to you to figure out how to get there and what you do once you get there. Like after dungeon three the owl just tells you "the next dungeon key is in the desert to the east" and nothing else. Sometimes it tells you where the dungeon is after you grab the key but sometimes you need to figure it out yourself too. Ultimately this is mechanically a lot like the exploration in LttP, but it's different emotionally. In LttP, you'd explore the northeast because it looked kinda cool on your map and there's signs saying a wishing waterfall is there which sounds cool, so you go up there and get the flippers which seem like a nice optional thing and then five dungeons later they're required. In LA, the equivalent is the owl saying "oh hey go to the northeast" with no other hints, and then the flippers are required immediately. The gameplay pattern isn't actually all that different because in both games you go there as soon as you unlock the ability to do so, but in LA the overworld is much more segmented so you can't even go there without the previous dungeon's item. The emotional feel is pretty different though.

--Link's Awakening has a pretty strong storybook feel. Constrasted with LttP before it and OoT after it, everything is bright and cheery except for a few moments of darkness. Your guide is an owl because it's a storybook. There's a village full of talking animals, there's mermaids and the goal isn't the overthrow evil, it's to wake up a sleeping fish. It's a very interesting mood that you don't see much in AAA games.

My replay isn't finished yet and I don't want to comment too much on the dungeon design until I see it at its most complex in the back half, but I think I can safely say that this is the best game about collecting the intstruments for a one-man band so you can play them real loud to wake up a flying whale sleeping in an egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it becomes more of an issue when they're pushing out 50+ gig patches for three or four things every week or so. Cutting out unneeded / orphaned code would help with that, at least.

That actually seems wrong. I don't see how orphaned code affects patch size..

• Locked thread