Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I can’t see any outcome other than that the Good Place system is A) Unjust (because it is) and B) changed by the actions of our heroes.

And the change will be retroactive because of Jeremy Bearimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

navyjack posted:

I can’t see any outcome other than that the Good Place system is A) Unjust (because it is) and B) changed by the actions of our heroes.

And the change will be retroactive because of Jeremy Bearimy.

You've got to do the little wiggle!

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

That sounds like the worst possible arrangement. Narcissistic assholes all go to the Good Place (because of course they'd feel they deserve the best), but kind people who tend to be critical of themselves get wasp-nostrilled for eternity? Yikes.

Maybe I didn't communicate it well but it's not about what you *think* about yourselves, it would be more like some kind of deeper unconcious realisation which even narcissitic assholes have and even critical people certainly wouldn't wish literal hell on themselves. ;)
I also think they will in the end refute this whole bad/good place dichotomy because there is just no way to resolve it, there will always be grey areas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

greententacle posted:

Then it would be like the Inquisitor episode of Red Dwarf, where Rimmer & the Cat judge themselves to continue to exist, while Lister & Kryten judge themselves to be erased from history

Yea, the good place would have Tahani in it if it was like Inquisitor, for sure.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One of my end of show theories is that they will end up transforming the Bad Place from a place of punishment to one of rehabilitation and learning where everyone who arrives there gets taught to be better people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

One of my end of show theories is that they will end up transforming the Bad Place from a place of punishment to one of rehabilitation and learning where everyone who arrives there gets taught to be better people.

...but with a few nostril wasps and butthole spiders in reserve, for people who reheat fish in the office break room microwave.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

greententacle posted:

Then it would be like the Inquisitor episode of Red Dwarf, where Rimmer & the Cat judge themselves to continue to exist, while Lister & Kryten judge themselves to be erased from history

Well, be fair, how can you argue with Cat's justification:

"I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful rear end."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked "How do you justify your existence?"
"Look at me! :wink:"
"You could say that's a pretty shallow argument..."
"You could say I'm a pretty shallow guy!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
What if the Soul Squad has a group epiphany, and the camera pulls back, and it keeps pulling back, from the squad to the city, then to the surrounding landscape, then to the continent, then the whole planet, then the solar system, then the galaxy, then the universe, then the Jeremy Bearimy, and then it's revealed that it's all inside an interdimensional snow globe being stared into by a young and autistic Janet? Then it pulls further back and everybody is a Janet. The whole series was a Janet's dream.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for Jeremy Bearime timeline shenanigans.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Grognan posted:

I can't wait for Jeremy Bearime timeline shenanigans.

I wonder if the reason that the dot above the "i" in "Jeremy Bearimy" broke Chidi when he saw it because that dot, in addition to being Tuesdays, July, and sometimes Never, was also the weird purple space bubble he was trapped in during Reboot #444 of The Bad Place?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I wonder if the reason that the dot above the "i" in "Jeremy Bearimy" broke Chidi when he saw it because that dot, in addition to being Tuesdays, July, and sometimes Never, was also the weird purple space bubble he was trapped in during Reboot #444 of The Bad Place?

He doesn't remember it so idk how it would.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Jeremy Bearimy was a joke the writers played on Michael Schur because he never made any drat sense when explaining how time works in the show.

https://news.avclub.com/the-good-places-jeremy-bearimy-joke-came-from-a-writer-1830574473

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tarlibone posted:

Chidi was Never in a purple bubble :confused:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

Chidi was Never in a purple bubble :confused:

I was going to post this, but then it dawned on me that you capitalized the word "Never," which likely signifies that you're referencing the dot that broke Chidi, making your post not a simple mistake by a casual fan but a clever play on words. So, I won't say anything about my initial impression of your post. I'll just say... well played, sir.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

ZRM posted:

Room to be sent to the bad place too, I'm sure, but there was equal opportunity for Ug and Og to go to either one depending on their choices.

Well Og is a semi-divine being so I’m sure he’s getting in just fine, if he ever actually dies.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Might the series end with the gang being the ones judging people? Or as archetypes for their kind of people? The Jason place, Tahani place, Eleanor and Chidi place?

Don't know where that leaves the real malevolent assholes though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Happy Thanksgiving thread
https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1065608588968611841

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BlackJosh posted:

Well Og is a semi-divine being so I’m sure he’s getting in just fine, if he ever actually dies.

for a moment I got extremely confused about which thread I was in

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Don't know where that leaves the real malevolent assholes though.

Washington? :dadjoke:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BlackJosh posted:

Enkidel is most definitely going to the Bad Place.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

There Bias Two posted:

Enkidel is most definitely going to the Bad Place.
Oh wow, I thought it was a deep cut ATHF reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkS9XyVLC-Q

Then I realized that their immortal caveman’s name was Oog

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So how long are Good Place and Crazy Ex on hiatus for? I thought it was just Thanksgiving weekend?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Good Place isn't back until January I think

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mokinokaro posted:

Good Place isn't back until January I think

There's one episode next week, but after that you're right

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The way American TV works is absolute bollocks.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Please inform me as to how taking a few weeks off is "absolute bollocks."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I much prefer the scheduling of the British version of the show, The Gooud Place. It's been running for 5 years on the BBC and they've done nearly as many episodes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
They could do it the British way and just produce three episodes per season...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FELD1 posted:

There's not much more to it than that. It's absolute bollocks that they want to take a few weeks off. The episodes are in the can, the audience is waiting, just show the drat things. But they save new episodes for January because people don't watch TV in December or something.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I guess that kind of thinking comes off as over-entitled to me. If they want to spread out the airing a little bit, that's fine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Phenotype posted:

But they save new episodes for January because people don't watch TV in December or something.
It's exactly this. They want to show episodes when more people will watch them. I can't really fault the networks for that, even though it sucks having to wait.

Americans are weird and only want to watch football between Thanksgiving and January.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

FELD1 posted:

It’s good British spirit to have Christmas specials air on Christmas Day despite

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Give me an episode of “The Good British Baking Place” IMO.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Democratic Pirate posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is gonna be in the Christmas special of Nailed It! so maybe we can get a "maximum Derrick!"

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Democratic Pirate posted:

Jason, not knowing what a "trifle" is, presents a traditional Floridian cake shaped like a gun. Chidi botches the technical challenge because he can't decide what temperature to set the oven to and thus never turns it on at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MaxieSatan posted:

Jason, not knowing what a "trifle" is, presents a traditional Floridian cake shaped like a gun. Chidi botches the technical challenge because he can't decide what temperature to set the oven to and thus never turns it on at all.

how can we ever know what is a "good bake"?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

swickles posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is gonna be in the Christmas special of Nailed It! so maybe we can get a "maximum Derrick!"

What

No

yes

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Michael bakes a completely normal looking Victoria sponge, but when they cut into it it contains sultanas. "This isn't a Good Bake at all! It's the BAD Bake!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tahani nearly kills Mary Berry again (this is the Good Place so we get the OG hosts) while Kamilah submits raw ingredients and wins.