Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Fire Emblem added True Hit a good while in to the franchise, and it most definitely improved matters. The thing about Fire Emblem is that you're universally very outnumbered but individually superior, and you will routinely throw someone with an 85%+ hit chance against targets they can kill in one hit and who have a 30% hit chance and can kill your unit in three hits. Which is very much in your favor until you have to kill six of them in one round because one of them walks up, attacks, and is hit by a counter-attack and dies, clearing a space for the next one to walk up and attack. And that's not some freak weird strategy; one of the primary unit archetypes is basically built around doing exactly that day in and day out. True Hit makes you more likely to hit and the enemy less likely to hit under almost all circumstances and thus much less prone to getting torn apart by iterative probability despite doing everything right.

As for why they don't just display the actual hit odds, that's because the displayed percentages are calculated based on like seven different factors and it's really important that the math be simple enough to very quickly approximate what the numbers would be if you change all of those factors in a single turn, because while the game does the math for you before you commit to an attack, it doesn't tell you the odds you're going to be facing if an enemy flier crosses half the map to hit your weakest unit. Which happens a lot because the Fire Emblem AI is incredibly bloodthirsty. If it's mathematically possible for an enemy unit to kill one of yours in a single engagement, the AI will ignore every other consideration and blitz that particular unit with everything in range. Doesn't matter if it's an unimportant unit, if that leaves the victory point defenseless, or if the AI's hit chance is 5% and your unit is guaranteed to counter and kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Jack2142 posted:

In regards to towns not selling tools, I think you could take that not so much as they are cleaning the town out of tools, but that is all they are willing to sell. Same thing goes with food and other things.

I suppose. But when a commodity like this has such a higher demand than supply, someone would look at it and go 'hey, i can make this product, and be confident there is always someone willing to buy it off me for a nice profit'.

My knowledge of fire emblem and its mechanics is very limited. I only meant to comment on that their 'true hit' system is misnamed and misleading. It's not even displaying the actual true chance that an attack will hit, as I understand it. It's not that they don't just display the actual odds, they outright misrepresent that information to the player by displaying an odds like 75%, but the actual calculation is checking a 75% chance twice, and if one or the other succeeds, then the attack succeed, which is vastly better odds than 3 in 4. I might be wrong on this. I don't play FE but for one gameboy color game while I was overseas, I don't know a whole lot about it.

My point is that games shouldn't have to lie to players about the odds of a successful action. But they do it. And sadly, I can understand why. People love to bitch about RNG ruining games, claiming that the chance something important could fail, and does so ruins any merit to planning things out. And game Devs have seen this and responded in some ways. X-Com on the easier difficulty levels would subtly bump up your chance to hit every time you missed a shot until you scored a hit, but it wouldn't tell you it was doing this. So beginner players would continue shooting 40-65% chance to hit shots and Jake Solomon was in the background rigging the dice behind the scenes because otherwise players get grumpy when they fail things they ought to have every reasonable expectation to fail on occasion. FE's bullshit 'True hit' thing is another way of dealing with player expectations because we expect those fairly high odds to work most of the time. And part of it is just human psychology too. We remember failures and bad things six times better than successes or good things. So you miss a 95% shot twice in a mission (looking at you, Travel Log) and some people get really grumpy cause c'mon, that is like, 1 in 20, and then 1 in 20 again so like... 1 in 400! gently caress off game, your RNG is loving me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Obligatory RNG cartoon

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I managed to luck into a game that had a pretty good trade loop in it where I'd go to a town, do a mission or two for it to get in it's good graces, buy their trade items and then move onto the next town, rinse and repeat. This included taking a boat all the way across the map to two well-to-do stronghold's that had good markets. I sold my trade items where they had the greatest profit and bought supplies, food, ammo etc. all along the route.

And one of the villages had a workshop and smelter in it, so it always had a ridiculous 4-5 stacks of tools available for purchase at rock bottom prices (I cleaned them out after one mission dropped their price to 150-ish and was basically set on tools forever.)

It's one of the biggest failings of the game I find in how random it's map generation is. Naturally the game wants you to go to places where things are produced to get them as cheap as you can, but sometimes the game just doesn't spawn the building that flags the town as producing them. Or worse: it does but it's in a town at the arse-end of the map with only one road leading to it from the other arse-end of the map. And also it's the smallest town possible so even then it doesn't have much going for it.
Which means practically you have to deal with inflated prices everywhere on those items and tools/medicine are expensive enough to where that hurts. A lot.

Not having an arrow maker's shed in a game means that your ammo is going to be relatively expensive (and also buying bows will be a problem) but you'd still be able to buy roughly twice as much ammo (and probably use less due to lack of bows etc.) than you would in a game without a workshop/herbalist's grove. Tools and Medical supplies are just too useful to go without and too expensive to buy unless you really need them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

I managed to luck into a game that had a pretty good trade loop in it where I'd go to a town, do a mission or two for it to get in it's good graces, buy their trade items and then move onto the next town, rinse and repeat. This included taking a boat all the way across the map to two well-to-do stronghold's that had good markets. I sold my trade items where they had the greatest profit and bought supplies, food, ammo etc. all along the route.

And one of the villages had a workshop and smelter in it, so it always had a ridiculous 4-5 stacks of tools available for purchase at rock bottom prices (I cleaned them out after one mission dropped their price to 150-ish and was basically set on tools forever.)

It's one of the biggest failings of the game I find in how random it's map generation is. Naturally the game wants you to go to places where things are produced to get them as cheap as you can, but sometimes the game just doesn't spawn the building that flags the town as producing them. Or worse: it does but it's in a town at the arse-end of the map with only one road leading to it from the other arse-end of the map. And also it's the smallest town possible so even then it doesn't have much going for it.
Which means practically you have to deal with inflated prices everywhere on those items and tools/medicine are expensive enough to where that hurts. A lot.

Not having an arrow maker's shed in a game means that your ammo is going to be relatively expensive (and also buying bows will be a problem) but you'd still be able to buy roughly twice as much ammo (and probably use less due to lack of bows etc.) than you would in a game without a workshop/herbalist's grove. Tools and Medical supplies are just too useful to go without and too expensive to buy unless you really need them.

We have very different experiences when it comes to tools. The later you take a game the more you find yourself burning through tools, especially if you get involved with the human crisis as while you make a lot of money, you also find yourself burning through tools and an astounding rate to the point that the battleforged perk is just as much about keeping your armor intact as doing whatever you can to reduce the amount of tools you are burning through.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's one of the biggest failings of the game I find in how random it's map generation is.

This is a good point that I don't think I've brought up either, and really should have. But it's a problem not presented in the LP because I restarted the game like a dozen loving times until I got a map that I liked. The game likes to generate very jagged, Swedish coast looking fjords and poo poo that cut into the map from the bottom and go inland in a north easterly direction. These can be pretty cool looking, but often times they can also effectively bisect a map. Where the cities are and how the map decides to place roads can also play a huge factor in how attractive a map is to play on. A giant city with all the nice infrastructure buildings spawned on the map? Sweet. It's on a loving island in the corner of the map and doesn't even have a port? Fuuuuck that. Map generation can be very random and tedious. You can't even just spam a map button like a sim city deal. Every time you restart, you start at that beginning scripted fight where capt Bernheart or whatever his name is dies and you have a quick 3 v 2 fight while Hoggart runs away.

Better and quicker map gen would be a nice quality of life improvement. Though maybe some people enjoy the maps where there aren't any major artery roads or city clusters. Me though, I like that the south of out map has two clusters of 5 and 6 cities. Especially since in the early game towns are kind of loving stingy with generating work. Another minor gripe and quality of life adjustment they could tune; making it less likely to have to visit three or four towns at the start of the game to find a contract.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Jade Star posted:

My knowledge of fire emblem and its mechanics is very limited. I only meant to comment on that their 'true hit' system is misnamed and misleading. It's not even displaying the actual true chance that an attack will hit, as I understand it. It's not that they don't just display the actual odds, they outright misrepresent that information to the player by displaying an odds like 75%, but the actual calculation is checking a 75% chance twice, and if one or the other succeeds, then the attack succeed, which is vastly better odds than 3 in 4. I might be wrong on this. I don't play FE but for one gameboy color game while I was overseas, I don't know a whole lot about it.

My point is that games shouldn't have to lie to players about the odds of a successful action. But they do it. And sadly, I can understand why. People love to bitch about RNG ruining games, claiming that the chance something important could fail, and does so ruins any merit to planning things out. And game Devs have seen this and responded in some ways. X-Com on the easier difficulty levels would subtly bump up your chance to hit every time you missed a shot until you scored a hit, but it wouldn't tell you it was doing this. So beginner players would continue shooting 40-65% chance to hit shots and Jake Solomon was in the background rigging the dice behind the scenes because otherwise players get grumpy when they fail things they ought to have every reasonable expectation to fail on occasion. FE's bullshit 'True hit' thing is another way of dealing with player expectations because we expect those fairly high odds to work most of the time. And part of it is just human psychology too. We remember failures and bad things six times better than successes or good things. So you miss a 95% shot twice in a mission (looking at you, Travel Log) and some people get really grumpy cause c'mon, that is like, 1 in 20, and then 1 in 20 again so like... 1 in 400! gently caress off game, your RNG is loving me.
Close; it generates two numbers from 1 to 100, and if the average is 75 or less it hits. It's basically displaying your target number and then attaching a percent sign.

it was introduced in the GBA games as part of the long-term trend of Fire Emblem slowly becoming less bullshit hard. Because in Fire Emblem the reason you bank on a 75% chance coming through isn't because 75% feels like a sure thing (hell, in the games where True Hit is a thing when I see 75% odds I think "do I really need this guy dead this turn badly enough to risk it?") it is because if you do not bank on the 75% chance coming through then you don't attack that guy this turn and then he murders your healer. This is particularly important because Fire Emblem has a fixed cast and permadeath, so if you lose your healer you restart the level or you carry on down a healer for the entire rest of the game, and if this happens three times, well, you probably only had three good healers, so now you do not have healers.

And even knowing that I like that it displays 75% odds because if it displayed the odds of two rolls averaging less than 75% then I would have no goddamn idea what adding or subtracting three 10% bonuses to adjust the target number would do to the odds. I see 75% and I know adding 30% would get me past 100%. If I do want the exact odds, I go online and check the table on the wiki and I see that a 75% displayed chance means the exact probability is 87.75%. And then I realize that information does not actually help me because iterative probability is a harsh mistress. So even with True Hit fudging the odds I have taken to saying "I've played enough Fire Emblem to know an 80% chance is not a sure thing." True Hit isn't about making the rolls fit player expectations, it is to keep you from getting diced and experiencing the equivalent of losing to the Khemri Skeleton Passing Game. Because that is only fun when you watch it happen to someone else. Then it is hilarious.

Also, as far as I'm aware True Hit only applies to hit rolls. Not to any other rolls, such as stat growths on level ups. So if a character has a 20% chance of gaining one point of defense per level, there's only about a 1.4% chance they won't gain any defense at all in 19 levels, so you don't have to worry about that happening to a key character. Unless you're Artix LPing FE7 and Fedule is stealing all your stat ups to give to his healer in his FE9 LP so she is the one who does the murdering.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

namehereguy posted:

it is to keep you from getting diced and experiencing the equivalent of losing to the Khemri Skeleton Passing Game. Because that is only fun when you watch it happen to someone else. Then it is hilarious.

Sir, I believe you are describing what we at Jade-Stream refer to as, THE BONE ZONE and it is the single greatest game of blood bowl ever played.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Jade Star posted:

Sir, I believe you are describing what we at Jade-Stream refer to as, THE BONE ZONE and it is the single greatest game of blood bowl ever played.

Ayup; watched that one live. It was glorious to behold.

The FE equivalent is Artix's FE7 LP Hector Hard Mode level ups.

quote:

For posterity: The odds of Lyn getting only one point of Defence across 32 levels is about 0.6%. The odds of Lyn getting no defence for 31 levels is ~0.1%. Yeeep.

The other big thing with FE is that when a unit is attacked it counter-attacks; if Travel Log under FE rules blew his 95% attack and your enemy counters and hits a 30% attack that deals a third of his HP and triggers a 7% crit chance for triple damage, Travel Log's loving dead. So obviously you avoid those scenarios like the plague, but due to overwhelming enemy numerical superiority you'll frequently get stuck in situations where two freak hits will kill you and there's four enemies.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 3, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can a game actually be won or lost at worldgen, if it doesn't put enough tool shops close to the front or whatever?

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Jade, I had a look at your map and made a table on supply prices: https://imgur.com/a/9XezCH5
For more info, also have a look at the wiki
So basically for cheap tools, your best bet is Helviktorn at 196G, followed by Westerholz, Heldenburg and Brammingholm at 228G. These are all base prices unmodified by settlement relations. As Westerholz is a Town Hall, it's a good deal easier to lower prices there via regular contracts. The other locations are all fortified settlements which means lowering tool prices will involve doing Noble House contracts for the relevant House and relations gain per contract is a good deal less compared to regular contracts offered by non-fortified settlements.
Stronger offense, better defense, positioning can all help reduce damage taken and therefore tools needed.

Tiefenstadt is an exceptional place for selling loot and with a little planning, you should be able to make a ton of profit there.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Glazius posted:

Can a game actually be won or lost at worldgen, if it doesn't put enough tool shops close to the front or whatever?

I doubt it can be lost outright at worldgen; I imagine if you're careful and keep your company size low at first you could build up off contracts in a small area near a big city. But certainly I had a world where the Greenskin crisis hit and I had to march multiple days each way to hit them in their camp and then get back to restock.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It depends on what you mean by outright loosing at worldgen. The end crisis can be made harder on you than normal because of lack of good tools/medicines places to buy and how their objectives are placed on the map. But it takes awhile for a crisis to get going and you can make do with what you find in shops (and paying more for them on average.)

Plus if you get a good trade loop you can make enough money to where you can easily blow 300 on tools and such without worrying about paying your wages and such.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Glazius posted:

Almost every settlement will have tools for sale in the Marketplace (usually 2-3 stacks), regardless of whether it has an attached Workshop (there are 3 in Jade's map: Seehoben, Tiefenstadt, Hornborg). Those with attached Workshops will have even more (6 stacks is possible). As maps have 17 settlements, that comes up to hundreds of tools, enough to repair thousands of armor damage. Tools refresh roughly every 3 days (earlier if a caravan arrives, less stacks if there are settlement status like Raided or Marauding Greenskins) so there's more than enough to go by if one isn't too picky about prices. Keeping a spare armor or two in the inventory can help when forced to defend a town from repeated attacks.

In the worst case scenario, you can always still repair instantly at any settlement with an Armorer or Weaponsmith (there are 5 in Jade's map: Gelbfelsfeste, Hornborg, Heldenburg, Brammingholm, Helviktorn), by Alt-clicking on that piece of gear, without using any tools. I really wouldn't recommend repairing this way though as it costs 2G to restore 1 durability, far more expensive than tools which if bought at 200G per stack would cost 0.66G per durability point restored (or 1G/durability if bought at 300G per stack).

There are certainly maps which are a little easier to play, being better connected or starting with men with good traits, but no map is won or lost at worldgen. Only by the actions of the player.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Drath posted:

In the worst case scenario, you can always still repair instantly at any settlement with an Armorer or Weaponsmith by Alt-clicking on that piece of gear, without using any tools. I really wouldn't recommend repairing this way though as it costs 2G to restore 1 durability, far more expensive than tools

I did not know this!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Drath posted:

Almost every settlement will have tools for sale in the Marketplace (usually 2-3 stacks), regardless of whether it has an attached Workshop (there are 3 in Jade's map: Seehoben, Tiefenstadt, Hornborg). Those with attached Workshops will have even more (6 stacks is possible). As maps have 17 settlements, that comes up to hundreds of tools, enough to repair thousands of armor damage. Tools refresh roughly every 3 days (earlier if a caravan arrives, less stacks if there are settlement status like Raided or Marauding Greenskins) so there's more than enough to go by if one isn't too picky about prices. Keeping a spare armor or two in the inventory can help when forced to defend a town from repeated attacks.

In the worst case scenario, you can always still repair instantly at any settlement with an Armorer or Weaponsmith (there are 5 in Jade's map: Gelbfelsfeste, Hornborg, Heldenburg, Brammingholm, Helviktorn), by Alt-clicking on that piece of gear, without using any tools. I really wouldn't recommend repairing this way though as it costs 2G to restore 1 durability, far more expensive than tools which if bought at 200G per stack would cost 0.66G per durability point restored (or 1G/durability if bought at 300G per stack).

There are certainly maps which are a little easier to play, being better connected or starting with men with good traits, but no map is won or lost at worldgen. Only by the actions of the player.

Wait, what, really?

That is absolutely huge on those "defend the settlement" multi-fight missions.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Jade Star posted:

I did not know this!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, what, really?
That is absolutely huge on those "defend the settlement" multi-fight missions.

Yes, if you mouseover the Armorer building in a settlement, the description states: Damaged equipment can also be repaired here for a price.
It is also stated in the wiki under Settlement buildings. I suppose I could expand the entry a little, seeing as both of you think it's good to know.

I really prefer stocking up on Tools on the cheap whenever you can though (especially when playing on higher Economic difficulties), which is why it's important to identify where are the best places to buy and where and when to sell in a given map. I also prefer keeping a few spare pieces of armor handy for defend settlement missions. Repairing instantly at a smith/armorer (equivalent to buying 600G tools) can cut deeply enough into the profits of the contract that the time might be better spent taking another contract or battle.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Black Parade, days 89-93

We start the day in Ivendorf. We have plenty of money, two jobs to take, but no repair tools. We will have to make due, I guess. There's not much to do about it. We'll check in with the job offers and see about solving some of the towns problems.

Well that explains the town being raided I guess. Or would it... It hasn't been raided yet, but is about to be.

Really, one skull? Okay. We should be able to handle that no problem.
Brigand attacks can take a while to happen, like we saw last time. Instead of camping around Ivendorf for a day or two like usual, and is probably the safe thing to do, I ran the company to Westerholz to buy supplies and then came running back. Didn't take too long and still left me with a while of sitting around outside Ivendorf waiting.

Uh hey guys, where are you going? You know there is supposed to be a big brigand raiding party coming to town. You want to help with that? No? Okay, that's cool. More for us I guess.

Took them about a day and a half to show up, but they're finally here. Not really expecting much on a one skull mission.

Despite the message, I don't actually see any brigands yet.

Hey, do you smell smoke?

Ah there we are. They were just a bit beyond our sight range at night time. They even brought a leader, nice! It's probably way too much to hope for, but sometimes brigand leaders carry unique pieces of gear. I'm not getting my hopes up though on a 1 skull posse but I'd like to get one piece of rare gear since we're so far into this game.

Defense of Ivendorf

Not a bad fight. With 15 brigands I didn't expect that to be a 1 skull mission, but some of them were thugs so I guess that was a factor. Travel Log evened out the numbers immediately too, so that was awesome. Overall though, this is about what we expect from fighting brigands now. We took a few hits, nothing serious, and had little trouble plowing right through them.

The big thing here is that we didn't recover The Bull's winged mace. That's really disappointing. Klaus is still using the tier two morningstar, and the mace would have been a nice upgrade for him. It won't be a super increase, but it'd be something like 5 or 10 points more average damage and maybe a little more effective versus armor. Looting it instead of buying one would save us somewhere around three thousand crowns, so it's a bummer we missed out.

Before we head back there is just a little post battle business to attend to. While we didn't get the mace, the rest of the leaders stuff is pretty nice. Wokow is the big beneficiary here, getting the nice heater shield to replace his decaying one and the flat top helmet to help keep his head safe. Meanwhile, Skippy Granola leveled up and gets Killing Frenzy for extra damage output.

Easy money and we helped a town out. Jobs like this are what make being a mercenary feel good.

It's night time when we get back in town, everything is closed up. And by 'everything' I mean the marketplace and the recruit pool are closed because that is all that is in Ivendorf. All we can do is pick up the next job and move on.

Okay this pays suspiciously well for a one skull mission. I feel like there is going to be a catch to this. That suspicion aside, work against the undead is good work to find. The more we wipe out their lairs the closer we are to stopping the crisis. I for one am tired of forgetting that brigands will get back up after I kill them. They don't even pay extra for that.

Huh. Where is our destination? The contract says north east of Ivendorf, but I don't see anything. Do you?

Wait a minute...

Zoom and enhance!

Okay that's just crop and MSPaint, but whatever. The important part here is that the destination is so far north and east that it spawned in a location hidden behind the user interface. Took me a while to figure out what the hell happened. I'd never seen this happen before.

Okay there we go. Much better. So that is where we need to go, but it's going to be a long walk there. There will at least be a few towns to visit on the way there so we can stock up on food and hopefully some tools.

'Discovering' this location (The game counts liars found via missions spawning and telling you where they are) completes our ambition to seek out and find 8 lairs in the world. So hurray. Not a big deal, but we get some renown for it and everyone gets a nice mood boost.

First stop, Eichendorf. Located just north of Ivendorf it too is pretty heavily traveled since it rests on the spine of the road system. Eichendorf is almost as unremarkable as well, but it does have a Fletcher's shop. May as well drop by and see what they have.

They have a War Bow, nice. Top tier bow here. Well, if you level a brother with the Bowyer background there is a chance they can make a masterwork bow. I don't remember the stats exactly but I think it's like a war bow with a +10 to hit chance. It can be real finicky to get the event to happen, and there is a chance they gently caress up and make a wonky bow instead. So, War Bow, super happy to have it even though it's pretty expensive. It's a straight 10 point damage upgrade for one of our archers. Costly, but nice. Skippy Granola has the most ranged skill at 85 so he gets it.

The market place also has some much needed tools for sale. I buy three stacks at a 287 a stack, ensuring I continue to bitch about these things. 43.5% markup my rear end.

Shopping done, it's time to continue on the road east. Nothing to report on the way and I forgot a screenshot of the map, so bam, we are at Filzmoos already.

Filzmoos looks much like Eichendorf. Same services available, but the town has some problems at the moment. The villagers are all frightened and that's not going to make the market prices any better for us. The market has tools for us, but are charging 379 crowns per stack so I tell them to get stuffed. Would have been nice if things were normal around here, would have bought their market's supply of tools and checked for another war bow in the shop.

Leaving Filzmoos it's time to head north east to Brammingholm, a place I think I visited once for the ambition to visit every city and then never went back to.

Along the way it is time to decide on our next ambition for the company. Had I not just spent several thousand crowns on the war bow I could have instantly completed the ambition to save up money. Since that's not the case, and I don't want to go looking for goblins I decide it's time to dig in and focus our efforts on the undead. Many of our contracts are dealing with them anyway so we may as well actively make it our goal to stop the undead from rising. This can be considered the 'final mission' of the campaign. Solving a crisis is meant to be an endgame thing, but even if we were to win the war on the undead by the end of this update there are still a bunch of things I'd like to complete for the sake of the LP.

This now displays in the top left of the screen and hey, look at that, we're already winning slightly. Probably thanks to the missions we completed wiping out undead lairs.

Brammingholm has seen better days I imagine. Two of it's settlements have been raided and burnt to the ground. Kind of surprised to see that since Brammingholm is a proper castle and there is a stone guard tower nearby. I would have thought this place could defend itself pretty well.

Inside Brammingholm things look pretty good though. They've got smiths and a kennel so it's worth shopping around here before we head out to find more undead.

The weapon smith has a winged mace for sale. It would have been nice to take one off that dead brigand leader, but I have enough money to afford this. Klaus will appreciate the upgrade I am sure. That gives just about everyone a tier three weapon. Mr. Yar and Frankomatic need war bows, and Wokow needs a fighting spear, but we're not far off from having everyone fully equipped.

Over at the armor smith there was only one set of mail hauberk for sale, which I bought and gave to Wokow. He's getting a lot of love this update. I could have even bought him a fighting spear as well just to fully kit him out, but that would have put me under 3 days worth of wages saved and with the long rear end hike I didn't want to run out of money to pay everyone.

Marching through the tundra east to our destination when we spot another lair, the Crypt of Ogmar. Don't know what's in it, but it's probably pretty spooky. We'll see how the fight goes at the mission location and then think about clearing it out on the way back.

By the way, just, take a good look at that picture. Where we are, almost in sight of the Circle of Immortals. Yeah, well something new is about to happen to that.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I've never seen this happen before but uh, welp, our mission target isn't where it used to be on the map. Great. So where is it now?

So this isn't the best screenshot, but because we're in the top right corner of the map and zoomed out to see the new location the company is actually hidden behind the UI scroll talking about the mission. At least Ogmar's place is still there to serve as a landmark to give some idea of how far away it is. And it's a fair bit. About a days march south.

Also it seems to have changed names. It's now the Ruins of Kragenheim, but whatever. I'm a bit pissed about this, but there isn't anything we can do about it but keep marching down to the new location.

One long uneventful walk there and we arrive at the ruins. No scouting report on the place always makes me nervous, but this was a one skull contract so it shouldn't be too bad.

Ruins of Kragenheim

Oh good, skeletons. Just what I wanted.

Honestly this wasn't a bad fight. Three early skeleton kills really helped with that, and I was surprised by Klaus and Megane one-shotting a couple of skeletons. Megane even did it through body armor, while I think Klaus maced a skeleton in the head with out a helmet. Only a couple of scratches to show for it all.

Nothing worth keeping, but a lot worth selling. Gold coins and silver bowls are worth good money, and the skeleton helmets all sell for like 80-100 crowns each, depending on their condition. The loot here will be a good addition to the jobs pay.

No one will actually be told what the artifact is, looks like, or does. Whatever.

It's time to head back and... Hey just where the hell are we now anyway? We covered a lot of ground to find this place.

Oh. We've got a long way to get back to Ivendorf. It should speed up when we get to Filzmoos and can take the roads back. But that's a long trip and a lot of things could, and will, happen on the way back. So I'm going to cut this update here before it gets too long and I'll see you next time for the march back.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’ve never seen that “lair changing location” thing. Kind of a dick move, game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
In the past there was a bug where the lait change would end up at an end game level location, locking you out of the fight + loot. I had it happen to me. Save scummed that away.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well the new DLC for the game just came out, along with attempting big balance changes, quality of life changes, and minor features added. This changes a few things, some of which I am happy about, some of which I am not. I haven't purchased the DLC and being so far into the LP I don't intend to for now. However all the free changes are going to make things interesting, a couple of which have probably hosed some of my ideas for end of LP activities once we've driven back the undead. We'll see how this all goes.

Ugh, just loading up and checking things and I think our daily wages cost went up like 300 crowns a day. Thanks new wages change.

Yeah really not liking some of these changes. Take Skippy and Frankomatic, our Hunter and Poacher respectively. They are both level 9, but Skippy now costs over twice as much per day as Frank. gently caress that. This is based on the devs attempting to balance background costs by the popularity of player picks, and if you want archers Hunters are slightly better than Poachers. Not by a whole lot, and definitely not by twice the loving daily cost.

Bandages now no longer go in the accessory slot, which could be nice except that I don't have accessories for most of the men, so bandages going into that slot don't use a bag slot for something like a dagger or spare weapon, and now bandages have a weight, or max fatigue penalty. So pretty much everyone on the team just lost an inventory slot and -2 maximum fatigue for carrying bandages around. Great.

Holy poo poo. Megane, our level 7 Raider costs 82 crowns a day. Megane has been decent, but not exemplary, and when Travel Log is only charging 49 a day, gently caress you buddy, you are not worth ~1.6 Travel Logs. Ralepozozaxe is at 114 per day as a level 7 sword master and while I undertand that swordmaster ought to be an expensive loving hire, gently caress this poo poo, 114? I am really not happy with these changes so far.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 30, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As described, those changes all sound hilariously awful when money already appeared to be a pretty constant struggle as it is.

Out of curiosity, what were the changes you were happy about? Is there anything that remotely offsets "gently caress you, die in poverty and burn in low inventory space hell"?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Holy poo poo. Megane, our level 7 Raider costs 82 crowns a day. Megane has been decent, but not exemplary, and when Travel Log is only charging 49 a day, gently caress you buddy, you are not worth ~1.6 Travel Logs.

We unionized, deal with it :colbert:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There a lot of additions to soldier traits, town situations, and events that can happen. Like how I always was posting 'Oh it's cool that Skippy and Frank have a little archery contest' or 'why are we shooting this kids cat out of a tree' thing, according tot he update notes there are a lot of new events like that. Sadly a lot of the changes I really like are in the paid DLC, new weapons and a crafting system to customize your equipment to taste. They also added a bunch of 'Legendary Locations' in the DLC. I plan on showing off the two legendary locations that exist in the base game before ending the LP, but it's cool they added a bunch more.

I was mixed on this but having loaded up the game I'm soured to the new hiring changes. You can 'Try Out' a new recruit, which is just paying them a small fee to see if they have any traits, like fat, drunkard, brave, etc. But you still don't actually see their stats. I think it's a poor half step and if I'm playing the game for myself for fun I'm just going to save, hire dudes, actually see all their stats, and then reload if they're garbage.

There is new armors as well, though I haven't seen any since I just loaded up the LP save in Ivendorf and Ivendorf has gently caress all. Will be interested to see about that. the DLC also adds a bunch of new weapons, which look pretty nice, but again that is DLC which will not appear in this LP, both because I'm not sold on the 20 buck price tag for these changes that I don't like, and because I'd have to restart the campaign which is a total no.

There are new Settlement situations, which I like. Towns are going to be a little more active and interesting now. They'll actively rebuild parts that get burned in raids and have events like fairs or public executions. Supposedly defensive AI for settlements, guard towers, and enemy lairs is also improved so locations might be a bit better about spawning troops to defend themselves with. That sounds like a good change.

Oh, the big loving Wages change. So soldier wages used to be a Base Pay + (2xLevel). Things were pretty linear and easy to plan around how expensive a guy would be. They're not going to get much more than 20 a day more expensive then when you hired them. Well the devs have changed the formula to a compound increase of 10% per level gained, lowering to 5% per level after level 11. That means cheap units that start at like 6 a day like daytellers, fishermen, and general non military backgrounds will stay cheaper over time. However it means anyone good like knights, squires, raiders, and sellswords are going to get exponentially loving expensive. I really dislike this change and it already has me looking for mods that I might even slam into this LP right now if there was a good fix. So far Nexus only like 7 mods total and none of them are mechanical, mostly banners, graphics and stuff like that. The only mod I did find was allowing perk choices post level 11 Nope this mod is poo poo and its 1 perk per 5 levels post 11,

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 30, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Travel Log is underpaid.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

goatface posted:

Travel Log is underpaid.

So I did the math for this, and Travel Log is 49 at level 11 yeah? If Ralepozozaxe gets to level 11, he will cost 167 crowns a day. gently caress this noise.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So the incentivised path is one of searching for high quality scrub-classes to form your high-level, late-game super-soldiers, while you buy in some chunky Jagens to fill the holes while you power level the farmboys.

Then you just need to get the Knights all killed off to avoid having to pay severance fees.

Seems a bit cruel.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Except lower tier backgrounds will never be as good as the military backgrounds. The backgrounds decide their starting stats, so even the best level 1 farmhand will never be as good as a level 1 noble.

The game already had enough cash drains in it before. How loving long did I have to save up just to have men in chainmail? I'm constantly sinking thousands in repair tools to maintain the company to do missions. Doubling the daily wages of anyone particularly good was not needed.

This has really soured me to the DLC. I think it looks cool with some great new additions and enemies and gear, but I'm not paying 20 bucks to get some good stuff in the hopes that it counters out the changes i don't like that I got for free.

Honestly if there is a way to roll the game back to pre-update state and have it still run, I would do that right now and finish out the LP like so.

e: Huh, random observation, but it seems that my market barometer of the unusually large wolf pelt has doubled in value. Strange. Maybe they made wolf pelts worth more since in the DLC they're probably used in the new crafting mechanic.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 30, 2018

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Is there any way to mod say an .ini file to maintain your current pay scales while benefiting from the new free DLC or is it an all or nothing thing?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Rick_Hunter posted:

Is there any way to mod say an .ini file to maintain your current pay scales while benefiting from the new free DLC or is it an all or nothing thing?

I have no idea or talent for modding. If anyone else does or find a mod out there somewhere, post it please.

Oh hey, in the realm of more unnecessary minor changes I have found a small nerf to a piller of early-mid game equipment. Worn Mail Shirts, the kind often looted from brigands and everyone in the LP was wearing at some point, and our back liners are still wearing, have had their slight advantage nerfed off of them. That advantage being they had 2 points less fatigue penalty than some of the other chain options at the same armor level. They were 110 for -10, they are now 110 for -12 making them strictly inferior to basic chain shirts at 115 for -12. Cool, thanks devs.

Oh god, can't scroll out on the world map now because my mouse wheel is broken and there is no options to rebind controls. Welp, new mouse inbound dec 6-11 from amazon. e: thank gently caress I mashed the keyboard till i found zoom in/out controls

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 30, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Who are they patching all this stuff for, anyway? Usually when you see these kinds of changes in a single-player game it's in response to bleeding-edge players. Otherwise I don't remember you constantly being flush with cash or anything, so why make things more lean?

Edit: I forget, does this game have multiple difficulty levels or just the one?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 30, 2018

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

NGDBSS posted:

It has three.

Okay, trip report, gently caress this update some more. Just tried to doa contract to clear an enemy lair, no biggy, we've been doing that whole LP yeah? Well I arrive and get ambushed by about 16 dudes. Okay, patch said that lairs might send out troops to defend themselves. Cool. Patch also said that when the do that, and when you defeat the troops it send out, which I did, then the lair would have less dudes to defend itself with. That does not seem to be the case. On top of that, the lair now also has an army of 12 guys just standing on top of it in addition to its full garrison that refuses to move and just seems to be more bodies for when I try to attack the lair.

Getting sick of this patch in a hurry.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully they properly patched it in so you can properly turn it off.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

goatface posted:

Hopefully they properly patched it in so you can properly turn it off.

Yeah, they just like hot fixed it while i was attempting to play. I was able to use steam to go to BB's beta's tab and turn it back to version 1.1x. Apparently there has been a lot of backlash already and they just added a rollback option. So hurray for me at least, I can just continue on with the original version.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
That's the best option. I wasn't sure if BB had the same thing as Stellaris with locking in a certain version so you didn't lose old saves but obviously it's a steam feature so I feel dumb even wondering about that.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well it wasn't there initially, or just wasn't working for me. After a quick hot patch in the middle of trying to record for the LP it worked again. So I have gone back to the original non-DLC version, and I reloaded a few days of gameplay.

For a little more wage rage, Rale is back down to charging 63 a day. The change doubled his daily wage. Travel Log is charging 31.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NGDBSS posted:

It has three levels for combat and economy separately. So you can like, play with Beginner Economy and Expert Combat for a generally higher octane game, or vice versa.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Speaking of wages- any chance for "state of the company"?

megane posted:

We unionized, deal with it :colbert:
Jade: Okay, I will!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Gun Jam posted:

Speaking of wages- any chance for "state of the company"?

Yeah I can do this after the next two updates. The next one is ready just needs some Olesh commentary. And I was in the middle of playing out the next one this morning when the patch fuckery happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also Jade, I'm not sure where you're getting the 20 buck price tag from, the expansion only costs 10 as far as I know.