Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jaxyon posted:

Good thing to remember is that each 10th of a point on that scale is 10x the energy

I thought it was each full point. Like a 6.0 is 10x stronger than a 5.0, a 7.0 is 10x stronger than a 6.0 and 100x stronger than a 5.0, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1068307162043203585
https://mobile.twitter.com/sharicedavids/status/1068540798046736384

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh man this is gonna be real bad actually. :smith:

Idk, what I am seeing on the internet is that some buildings that were already falling apart fell down but mostly it just knocking things off shelves.

Still, hoping for the best.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh *poo poo*

How prepared is Alaska for earthquakes?

A cursory search says they get 20,000 quakes a year. They had a 7.1 in 2016, but they are a deep state and lol at trying to get them to regulate anything.

This...could be bad...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Does anyone doubt that if the Dems impeached Trump and the GOP Senate acquitted him that it would be portrayed as a "win" for Trump in the mainstream media?

It definitely backfired when Republicans tried to do it to Wild Bill so there is some worry there that Trump might get a similar boost if Dems tried and failed to impeach him.

However if I'm not mistaken Clinton was popular even after the scandal and still generally had public support so I'm not sure impeachment was a well liked idea back then to begin with. I could be wrong on that, I was only like 12 back then so my memory isn't the greatest.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

friendbot2000 posted:

A cursory search says they get 20,000 quakes a year. They had a 7.1 in 2016, but they are a deep state and lol at trying to get them to regulate anything.

They had I think a 9.2 in Anchorage in the 60's that lasted 5+ minutes and people still have PTSD from it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

It definitely backfired when Republicans tried to do it to Wild Bill so there is some worry there that Trump might get a similar boost if Dems tried and failed to impeach him.

However if I'm not mistaken Clinton was popular even after the scandal and still generally had public support so I'm not sure impeachment was a well liked idea back then to begin with. I could be wrong on that, I was only like 12 back then so my memory isn't the greatest.

Basically everyone agrees that impeachment hurt Republicans in the 1998 midterms. People dispute if it hurt Gore in 2000, or if Gore botched the response to it instead.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

poo poo, I hope the city's mostly alright. Doesn't something like half the state live in Anchorage?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

The Clinton impeachment also backfired in part because it was seen as on flimsy ground. Twenty years ago an intern blowjob was not seen as something that mattered, and a single perjury charge after years and years and years of investigation was seen as trivial, impeachment on a technicality.

In contrast, well, whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Basically everyone agrees that impeachment hurt Republicans in the 1998 midterms. People dispute if it hurt Gore in 2000, or if Gore botched the response to it instead.

Yeah I do remember reading back in 2000 that there were some pundits that argued Gore distancing himself from Clinton actually hurt him in the election.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yesssss Spanberger!

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpanbergerVA07/status/1068543387371020294

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Teddybear posted:

poo poo, I hope the city's mostly alright. Doesn't something like half the state live in Anchorage?

https://twitter.com/jlennyb/status/1068564106964160512

Jesus....that is not good.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

More office lottery hilarity. Sharice was that former MMA fighter who flipped a seat in Kansas

https://twitter.com/danielleinkc/status/1068543424406716418

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Having a black president motivated republicans in 2016. I'm convinced we should worry about what they do or don't get excited about.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This picture is fabulous, AOC in particular looks like she walked right off the set of an old movie.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Edit: Stated in a way that is easily misinterpreted and likely to cause a derail.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 30, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Done. Is the Red Cross a good one or are there better ones?

The Red Cross, to my understanding, has more money than it can actually spend and should not be reflexively donated to.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Listening to KFQD 750-AM out of Anchorage, they're reporting that as far as they know all the schoolkids in the city are OK at least.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Taint posted:

Listening to KFQD 750-AM out of Anchorage, they're reporting that as far as they know all the schoolkids in the city are OK at least.

Thank god. I'm really worried about the elderly population. It looks like the roads are generally clear of snow though, the roads being destroyed notwithstanding.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Having a black president motivated republicans in 2016. I'm convinced we should worry about what they do or don't get excited about.

We should take it into account, but we should also remember that there are way fewer of them than there are of us, ie: the Democratic base (or broader Democratic coalition). If an issue really drives out Democratic voters to the polls, the Dems should pursue it, regardless of whether or not it motivates Republicans against it.

(Obviously I'm speaking VERY broadly here; there are plenty of exceptions)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Taint posted:

There is a tsunami warning in effect.

quote:

The National Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer, Alaska, issued a warning for coastal areas of Cook Inlet and the Southern Kenai Peninsula in Alaska.

No Reported injuries, but it is still early.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, criminy - reminds me of the '94 LA quake. (but worse, in terms of magnitude)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Majorian posted:

Yeah, criminy - reminds me of the '94 LA quake. (but worse, in terms of magnitude)

LA's overdue to get hit by a major quake, aren't they?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sharice Davids has the only guns that should be legalized.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Majorian posted:

IIRC correctly the state of Alaska has some serious money problems and fixing all this infrastructure is not going to come cheap...I am reading reports of municipal buildings foundations cracking and poo poo...

Your Taint posted:

Yep...All of California is and geologists are hella worried about it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Your Taint posted:

At this point LA is overdue to get split in half.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Push El Burrito posted:

Sharice Davids has the only guns that should be legalized.

What about Gritty's t-shirt gun/fascist killer?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Your Taint posted:

I thought it was each full point. Like a 6.0 is 10x stronger than a 5.0, a 7.0 is 10x stronger than a 6.0 and 100x stronger than a 5.0, etc.

Incorrect, the Richter scale is indeed logarithmic but it's an increase of 30x for every full point, not 10x like a more standard log scale.

It's also hard to predict how bad the damage of an earthquake will be just based on the Richter magnitude, Richter is just the energy released. edit: you could compare the Richter magnitude to kiloton yield of a nuke. The damage will depend on a lot of other factors.

The damage will depend on a ton of things like how deep the quake was, which faults it was propagated along (and the direction it propagates along those faults), and probably most importantly the geology and geography.

A quake that strong in California would almost certainly do a lot of damage because the major cities in CA are built on loose earth material, so it's like an earthquake hitting a bowl of jello. I'm not familiar with the geology around Anchorage, if it's more solid there would be much less potential for damage.

tl;dr that's a strong quake but doesn't necessarily mean there will be a lot of damage or casualties. Could be, though.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 30, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

At this point LA is overdue to get split in half.

The loss of life for a major quake in L.A. would be catastrophic...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crow Jane posted:

What about Gritty's t-shirt gun/fascist killer?

Gritty doesn't need your laws.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I thought AOC was wearing a cape at first glance.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Taint posted:

Yeah, all of California is said to be in an "earthquake drought," actually. We're on the whole quite a bit better about earthquake safety regulations than Alaska is, but we may see just HOW safe we actually are before long...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

friendbot2000 posted:

The loss of life for a major quake in L.A. would be catastrophic...

If a 8+ magnitude earthquake hits California at this point it would be more than LA, no?

Also isn't there volcanoes out there that are due to erupt soon?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah, all of California is said to be in an "earthquake drought," actually. We're on the whole quite a bit better about earthquake safety regulations than Alaska is, but we may see just HOW safe we actually are before long...

I mean, so was Japan, but the scary thing for California is the one-two punch of a quake and a tsunami...

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

If a 8+ magnitude earthquake hits California at this point it would be more than LA, no?

Also isn't there volcanoes out there that are due to erupt soon?

Yup! I believe I read somewhere that St. Helens was showing some activity recently.

In regards to loss of life I was speaking to the population density of L.A. The near constant traffic on bridges and onramps with our aging infrastructure will make the Bay Bridge Collapse look like childs-play.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

I mean, so was Japan, but the scary thing for California is the one-two punch of a quake and a tsunami...

Sure, as well as the fact that hey, we seem to constantly be on fire at this point. The lion's share of the 1906 SF quake's devastation was due to the subsequent fire.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Next up on the list of sex monsters:

https://twitter.com/TheOfficialPORP/status/1068233864416559107

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maybe it's just me but it seems like whenever major Trump poo poo breaks something like this happens and takes some of the heat off of him.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A tsunami in California would help put out the forest fires though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I feel that the crime Clinton committed (lying about adultery) was humanizing and relatable, and therefore helped him, while the crimes Nixon and Trump appeared to have committed (spying on your opponent to win an election, international bribery)... aren't. We forgave Clinton's coverup because statistically most of us have done the exact same thing.

Edit: which is why you should use a condom even in a committed monogamous relationship

Pretty weird to admit to sexual assault like this but okay