Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of difficulty increases, I remember someone earlier in the thread was talking about how doing story missions bumps up the difficulty in the normal contracts. I'm starting to see lots of heavy mechs now but am still running with a full medium lance, so I assume that means I should stop doing story missions until I can pick up some heavies of my own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I feel like I'm progressing extremely slowly in career mode, I still only have 2 mediums nearly 200 days in. How is everyone else faring.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

imweasel09 posted:

I feel like I'm progressing extremely slowly in career mode, I still only have 2 mediums nearly 200 days in. How is everyone else faring.

2 vinidactors, 2Wolverines, one blackjack, and I've had like 4Panthers. I have most of a griffen, and just saw a shadow hawk. I'm playing default campaign settings other than non iron man. I'm at most 80 days and probably closer to 60.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Naramyth posted:

2 vinidactors, 2Wolverines, one blackjack, and I've had like 4Panthers. I have most of a griffen, and just saw a shadow hawk. I'm playing default campaign settings other than non iron man. I'm at most 80 days and probably closer to 60.

Maybe I'll just restart then, I've got an enforcer but it still feels like there's wild swings in the difficulty between missions and it's hard to get salvage going.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

imweasel09 posted:

Only a couple lights but I got lucky and scored an Orion and I am 3 for 4 on maybe four different mediums.

The key is to try to back to back all the missions you can on a planet. Time goes very slowly while doing that if you don’t need to wait for repairs etc.

Edit: if I was running default salvage parts I’d have a ton of mediums. That makes things significantly harder in that respect.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

imweasel09 posted:

poo poo my heaviest mech is still the vindicator

edit: yeah i'm on 5 parts salvage

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Only a couple lights but I got lucky and scored an Orion and I am 3 for 4 on maybe four different mediums.

The key is to try to back to back all the missions you can on a planet. Time goes very slowly while doing that if you don’t need to wait for repairs etc.

Edit: if I was running default salvage parts I’d have a ton of mediums. That makes things significantly harder in that respect.

Exactly that. Run every mission on each planet and dont nessessarly travel until you are out of missions. I also dont wait on new mechs getting setup while I am crushing missions. That's for travel time. Also get the Argo tech score and med bay up ASAP so if you do need to repair it doesnt take weeks.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been running 5 parts and having multiple chassis at 4/5 can hurt but I'm also not swimming in mechs either

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'm running an 8 part career with AI mods and other crap. Almost have my first light 3 planets in, trick is to side shot everything on both sides and blow everything up except the CT. This wipes the cruft off the salvage pool and leaves a higher chance of getting 'Mech parts as part of the random salvage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I kept it at 3 salvage just because that's annoying, whatever, but there are also bonus points for having one of each chassis in storage and internet points validate me

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Amechwarrior posted:

I'm running an 8 part career with AI mods and other crap. Almost have my first light 3 planets in, trick is to side shot everything on both sides and blow everything up except the CT. This wipes the cruft off the salvage pool and leaves a higher chance of getting 'Mech parts as part of the random salvage.

Excuse me, what?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
When you destroy both side torsos there'll be less weapons / equipment salvageable at the end of the OpFor. So when it auto assigns salvage, it'll raise the chance of giving you a mech part instead of say another medium laser

RBA Starblade posted:

I kept it at 3 salvage just because that's annoying, whatever, but there are also bonus points for having one of each chassis in storage and internet points validate me

Even with 5 parts it's not that hard to acquire other mechs, I usually get close to a full mech per planet

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Excuse me, what?

He's saying that if you blow up all the equipment you don't want then, obviously they won't be in the salvage pool.

Unless you didn't realise that blowing up equipment on the battlefield stops them from being salvage, in which case, yes, it does.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Oh, that.

But early game I pick salvage because I actually want the weapons; idgaf about collecting light chassis.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

imweasel09 posted:

There's a tipping point in career mode in my experience. I was struggling to get a third medium for a good 200 days, within another month I had 4 mediums and a heavy, with and a second heavy just about to pop.

Just don't do like I did in my first career attempt and lose your vindicator to a locust crit in the back.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

There's a tipping point in career mode in my experience. I was struggling to get a third medium for a good 200 days, within another month I had 4 mediums and a heavy, with and a second heavy just about to pop.

Just don't do like I did in my first career attempt and lose your vindicator to a locust crit in the back.

Yea, that's just embarrassing. That poor mechwarrior who piloted it is never going to hear the end of that!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
that locust pilot, on the other hand, just got into the hall of fame

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Welp this flashpoint limits you to 50tonners on a 4.5skull. This should be interesting. I need to dry up some mediums now

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
2nd mission of my career mode I salvaged 3 pieces of a Wolverine 6R. Of course, I set the game for 4 piece salvage...

PoptartsNinja posted:

gently caress Joint Venture II

I cannot agree with this hard enough. Initial enemy lance; Wolverine 6K, Hunchback 4G, Cicada 2A and a Hatchetman (lol, um...). Then a reinforcement lance practically spawns on top of the base; Griffin 1S, Vindicator, Trebuchet and Cicada 3C. Then I get 3 more sensor contacts just over the ridge. 2 60 ton Mechs and a 65 tonner.

I just Alt-F4'd out.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

binge crotching posted:

Speaking of difficulty increases, I remember someone earlier in the thread was talking about how doing story missions bumps up the difficulty in the normal contracts. I'm starting to see lots of heavy mechs now but am still running with a full medium lance, so I assume that means I should stop doing story missions until I can pick up some heavies of my own?

Honestly, depending on the mediums you have, you can probably keep going and skip straight to Assaults. In my personal experience, the enemy fielded mostly jagers when I was in the heavy phase, and they have paper mache armor that higher end mediums can just blast through. My centurion will forever be in storage with the shadowhawk as a personal hall of fame, taking out multiple assaults in its extremely long career.

For reference, it's extremely easy to get two full assault mechs from a coming story mission that only requires you to fight tanks and turrets. And after that mission it's still almost all heavies and mediums for jobs.

In other news, I missed headshot chat. But my Banshee took another Banshee out with a melee hit to the head. I yelled with laughter because it looked like I just won Rock Em Sock Em Robots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Q_res posted:

2nd mission of my career mode I salvaged 3 pieces of a Wolverine 6R. Of course, I set the game for 4 piece salvage...

I cannot agree with this hard enough. Initial enemy lance; Wolverine 6K, Hunchback 4G, Cicada 2A and a Hatchetman (lol, um...). Then a reinforcement lance practically spawns on top of the base; Griffin 1S, Vindicator, Trebuchet and Cicada 3C. Then I get 3 more sensor contacts just over the ridge. 2 60 ton Mechs and a 65 tonner.

I just Alt-F4'd out.

So bring heavies is what you're saying, that sounds fairly inline for a real rear end in a top hat hard configuration deployment + a couple more mechs tbh

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 30, 2018

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Flashpoint content is a very good addition to the game. I'm a bit surprised at how long it takes to get to most of that content. Career mode is a faster track than the campaign, for sure. I wouldn't mind seeing the addition of Flashpoint style missions at a lower rep without the very powerful rewards (maybe just some single + gear or one piece of low-end LosTech).

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I just had an Aurigan Noble mechwarrior and a Aurigan Commoner get into a fist fight, which led to both being low spirits for 30 days and seven days unavailable in the brig. (I punished them both)

edit: Luckily for me, we were in between systems, so it didn't cause a delay in taking contracts.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

binge crotching posted:

Depends on which story mission you're up to. Have you done Smithson yet? Also on how fast you want to push through the campaign -- as nasgate says the story missions ahead of you are doable with 4 good mediums. The main thing the story missions need is extra ammo because they tend to throw a lot of enemies at you, more than regular missions.

If you want to take your time and acquire some heavies rather than skip directly to assaults, you need to start taking 3 skull missions and push the salvage slider all the way right. You can win mediums vs heavies, just gotta believe in yourself! (and pay Yang overtime to weld the arms back on)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So which is better; Sure Footed or Bulwark?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So which is better; Sure Footed or Bulwark?

As a single skill? Bulwark, hands down. Yes, even the new version. If you're looking at taking the 2nd tier skills, though, you have to factor that in as well.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Klyith posted:

Depends on which story mission you're up to. Have you done Smithson yet? Also on how fast you want to push through the campaign -- as nasgate says the story missions ahead of you are doable with 4 good mediums. The main thing the story missions need is extra ammo because they tend to throw a lot of enemies at you, more than regular missions.

If you want to take your time and acquire some heavies rather than skip directly to assaults, you need to start taking 3 skull missions and push the salvage slider all the way right. You can win mediums vs heavies, just gotta believe in yourself! (and pay Yang overtime to weld the arms back on)

I've blown up the prison at Weldry, and then I did a bunch of extra missions on that planet to get more salvage. I am on my way to do the follow up story mission after that.

The blown up arms and so on suck, but aren't too bad. The big problem is that my pilots keep getting injured because assholes with too many guns are ripping into them, and I just don't do enough damage to kill 2 mechs every round.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh, that.

But early game I pick salvage because I actually want the weapons; idgaf about collecting light chassis.

Yea, I didn't either until I started playing saves with 5+ parts to complete. I just hit about 60 days in the 8 part career and got my first 'Mech, a JR7. It feels like a massive upgrade just getting that. With just 5 parts, I was getting a JR7 or PNT before even leaving the starting world or immediately after. Mediums are going to be a real pain though, with 5 I gathered 3/5 or 4/5 for like 7 or 8 variants before I closed the deal on a Medium.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Do the DLC and any patches change the game enough that it'd be worth another go through if I thought the base game was way too easy?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Could you describe what you mean by too easy? There are mods for increased ai difficulty and there are now more granular settings for gameplay difficulty since launch.

Also the expac gives a ton of new content, that hasn't been fully explored yet

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Do the DLC and any patches change the game enough that it'd be worth another go through if I thought the base game was way too easy?
I would say you are probably too badass to play this game.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Hey nerds, I made a thing and now I can talk about it!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/House_Arano_(The_Aurigan_Coalition)

This is a thing I've wanted since the beginning of this project. Like, sure, I wanted to make a cool game, but really what I wanted was to add to BT canon.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, play again. I'll let somebody else chime in on mods. All those concerns have been addressed, maybe not perfectly but it's definitely better (e.g. no weapon is comically awful) a lot of other stuff:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/live-battletech-update-1-1-release-notes-updated.1106661/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...d-more.1116569/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-notes.1131637/

I beat the game back in 1.0 as well, it's a lot better now based on having played a few hours of a new career mode. Still surprisingly sluggish but whatever.

pangstrom did a solid earlier and here's a link to all the patch notes; quite a bit has changes since release

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

isildur posted:

This is a thing I've wanted since the beginning of this project. Like, sure, I wanted to make a cool game, but really what I wanted was to add to BT canon.

Congrats on not writing a video game novelization

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, just finished up the Liao alliance flashpoint. Without spoilers, it involves a warcrime specifically mentioned in the Ares conventions of war.

I am not entirely sure why though. It seems to be down to doing scientific research on the genetics of Davion families. Are they trying to make a bio-weapon to specifically wipe out the rulers of Davion space? Or is it something else? We're never really told, but since Murad mentions the sixth article of the Ares convention, I'm guessing it is something like that. I am not sure how Murad figures that out from the information given by our employer though.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

CommunityEdition posted:

Congrats on not writing a video game novelization
I mean, I *did* write a tiny bit of fiction in that book. I could probably manage a whole novel, if I describe all the individual laser shots.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cyrano4747 posted:

As a single skill? Bulwark, hands down. Yes, even the new version. If you're looking at taking the 2nd tier skills, though, you have to factor that in as well.

I just assume Master Tactician for the second skill was mandatory.

What's a good way to respec? Save game edit?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

So bring heavies is what you're saying, that sounds fairly inline for a real rear end in a top hat hard configuration deployment + a couple more mechs tbh
If it was a battle, sure.

It's a 4v12 base defense. I lost a building on turn 1 to PPC fire from attackers out of sensor range and lost the mission by turn 4 (of 9). There're 6 buildings with HP bars but apparently only 4 of them matter.

isildur posted:

Congratulations, I'm glad to see this got made!

I will be picking this up. For ideas. :ninja:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 1, 2018

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

isildur posted:

Congratulations! My backlog of BT reading material just got one book longer. I wonder if it will have a canon Argo?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Start a 8 piece Ironman Career with all settings set to hard or stingy. Add on my Better AI mod, set AI crit chance to 1.0 (that's going in my next version by default everyone!) on the combatconst.json. Then let us know how many points you get at the end of your career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isildur
May 31, 2000

Amechwarrior posted:

Congratulations! My backlog of BT reading material just got one book longer. I wonder if it will have a canon Argo?
Andrew and I didn't write one up for inclusion. CGL might add something, but since the Argo is a unique artifact, there's not too much value in putting it into a setting book.

(If you really need stats for it, I think you can find them somewhere online. I remember posting them to some forum. Randall tsked at the docking collars but otherwise didn't think it was problematic.)

quote:

Start a 8 piece Ironman Career with all settings set to hard or stingy. Add on my Better AI mod, set AI crit chance to 1.0 (that's going in my next version by default everyone!) on the combatconst.json. Then let us know how many points you get at the end of your career.
FWIW I don't think this is a good idea, and consider this well past 'hard'; the granular difficulty settings were meant to let you pick and choose what you wanted to be harder and what you wanted to be easier. It can be played with everything to max, but I make no promises about how much fun it will be.