Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So what’s it gonna take to get an analysis of the second book in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

mp5 posted:

So what’s it gonna take to get an analysis of the second book in here

Not sure if this is a joke post or not - in that a LOT of discussion of that book has happened in this thread and the previous one. What exactly are you looking for here?

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
Second book, not so good.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Karnegal posted:

Not sure if this is a joke post or not - in that a LOT of discussion of that book has happened in this thread and the previous one. What exactly are you looking for here?

a BOTL-tier blow-by-blow of the whole thing

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

mp5 posted:

Why do you hate yourself

Or us

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

mp5 posted:

I think he's in Forum Jail right now, but maybe when he gets back he'll fulfill your wish like the world's shittiest genie.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yikes he ate another month

well yeah hopefully when he's back he can name a suitable price

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

mp5 posted:

Yikes he ate another month

well yeah hopefully when he's back he can name a suitable price

Here's Ronan Will's already completed chapter by chapter which I find much more entertaining than the BOTL version https://doinginthewizard.wordpress.com/category/lets-read-twmf/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mp5 posted:

I don't think anyone is labouring under the illusion that WMF actually has anything good though. Even the people who liked Notw's purple prose and urchin misery tended to recoil at the sex ninjas. A take down of a book that is commonly understood as awful isn't really necessary.

What I'd like to see is a take down of various fantasy poems. I can recognise Rothfuss's poems as awful, and the Malazan poems really piss me off, but I know even less about poetry than I do about prose, and a take down of fantasy poems is at least an interesting angle to approach it from

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
But if you enjoy take downs of bad books, here's a single session helping for WMF if you don't want to read a chapter-by-chapter http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to include an excerpt: 'Oh Felurian. Where to begin.

Felurian is that staple of fantasy novels, the deadly naked sex monster. She's the most beautiful, most alluring, most sexually attractive woman you'll ever see, and she will totally kill you with sex.

Felurian is the sirens, and Artemis and pretty much every other sex-death-nudity chick from mythology or fiction rolled into one. Kvothe catches her, bones her, breaks free of her sex-death-nudity mind control, completely whips her rear end in a straight fight, then bones her again, then plays music that makes her think he's awesome, then writes half a song about her that is so awesome that she agrees to let him go so that he can finish it, then disses her sexual prowess, which prompts her to get really insecure and tell him what an amazing lover he is, then they have sex some more, then she sews him a magic cloak, while he goes away and talks to a prophetic tree which turns out to be evil.

Then they have sex some more, then he comes back to the real world and is all “bros, I totally did it with Felurian” and everybody is all like “no way, you'd be mad or dead” and he's like “no I totally did it with Felurian” and then the hot barmaid from earlier is all like “no he's definitely telling the truth because I am a woman and I can see that he has got totally sexed up since we last met, because I tried to sex him and it freaked him out, but now it looks like he wouldn't be freaked out and also he would be totally awesome at sexing.” Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and by the way this definitely isn't sexist, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.'

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 2, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did BOTL break down Rothfuss' side book "The Slow Regard of Silent Things"?

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am felurian irl and let me tell you, i suck rear end and can't keep a job

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

incredible flesh posted:

i am felurian irl and let me tell you, i suck rear end and can't keep a job

That's weird, pretty sure people will pay you to suck rear end. Tried putting on clothes?

Karnegal posted:

But if you enjoy take downs of bad books, here's a single session helping for WMF if you don't want to read a chapter-by-chapter http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to include an excerpt: 'Oh Felurian. Where to begin.

Felurian is that staple of fantasy novels, the deadly naked sex monster. She's the most beautiful, most alluring, most sexually attractive woman you'll ever see, and she will totally kill you with sex.

Felurian is the sirens, and Artemis and pretty much every other sex-death-nudity chick from mythology or fiction rolled into one. Kvothe catches her, bones her, breaks free of her sex-death-nudity mind control, completely whips her rear end in a straight fight, then bones her again, then plays music that makes her think he's awesome, then writes half a song about her that is so awesome that she agrees to let him go so that he can finish it, then disses her sexual prowess, which prompts her to get really insecure and tell him what an amazing lover he is, then they have sex some more, then she sews him a magic cloak, while he goes away and talks to a prophetic tree which turns out to be evil.

Then they have sex some more, then he comes back to the real world and is all “bros, I totally did it with Felurian” and everybody is all like “no way, you'd be mad or dead” and he's like “no I totally did it with Felurian” and then the hot barmaid from earlier is all like “no he's definitely telling the truth because I am a woman and I can see that he has got totally sexed up since we last met, because I tried to sex him and it freaked him out, but now it looks like he wouldn't be freaked out and also he would be totally awesome at sexing.” Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and by the way this definitely isn't sexist, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.'

Yeah it's loving stupid. It's not the worst writing I've ever seen (I reserve that for Lev "aptly named" Grossman and the fox sex bullshit) but it's wayyy up there.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

TV Zombie posted:

Did BOTL break down Rothfuss' side book "The Slow Regard of Silent Things"?

The I Don't Even Own a Television podcast about bad books did an episode on it. They liked it more than I expected. Maybe reading it with no knowledge of the rest of the series is best. Still a good episode of a really good podcast.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The thing Lamps reviews did that the others don’t is cover the deficiencies of the prose in detail, the clash of diction and register and tone. But those are fairly consistently flawed across both books so if you read his review of the first you don’t really need it spelled out again for the second.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

incredible flesh posted:

i am felurian irl and let me tell you, i suck rear end

Queen of sex fairies indeed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was pretty stoked at 16 when I would last through an entire Nine Inch Nail song. Kvothe hosed the tits off a sex goddess and then wrote a song about it. This makes me feel like maybe I haven't lived my best life.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was pretty stoked at 16 when I would last through an entire Nine Inch Nail song. Kvothe hosed the tits off a sex goddess and then wrote a song about it. This makes me feel like maybe I haven't lived my best life.

He had his sexual awakening with death sex god of the fae but then went back to being completely incompetent with denna so not sure how much you should read into it

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 2, 2018

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's hard to say how much of that is due to his inability to write consistent, coherent character arcs and how much of it is the fact that the book is a series of disjointed vignettes written at wildly different points in time that were poorly stitched together after he realized he needed a second book.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Only in the fantasy section of the bookstore can you get by with "setup books".

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Maybe the whole thing with Felurian is Kvothe being an unreliable narrator, and she isn't an unattainable sex goddess so much as a deranged hermit living in the forest and thinking the trees are conspiring against her.

And he misunderstood when he thought everyone was saying that you couldn't have sex with her and survive, when they were really saying "sex with that deranged hermit would be a fate worse than death." Everyone wasn't amazed that he survived, but that he had sex with her at all, and even more that he dared show his face again to brag about it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Raimi backed out. Movie is dead.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Cukor was fired. Movie is dead.

It's a nice bit of schadenfreude, but come on.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 2, 2018

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

AngusPodgorny posted:

Maybe the whole thing with Felurian is Kvothe being an unreliable narrator, and she isn't an unattainable sex goddess so much as a deranged hermit living in the forest and thinking the trees are conspiring against her.

And he misunderstood when he thought everyone was saying that you couldn't have sex with her and survive, when they were really saying "sex with that deranged hermit would be a fate worse than death." Everyone wasn't amazed that he survived, but that he had sex with her at all, and even more that he dared show his face again to brag about it.
as i said, i am felurian irl and

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Only in the fantasy section of the bookstore can you get by with "setup books".

Oh my god this. The number of fantasy books that are just moving pieces around to set up the next book is astonishingly frustrating. You could excise maybe 5 books of nothingness from Wheel of Time and still be left with one of the longest series (serieses?) of all time.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Are there any good self-contained fantasy books?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There's some good stand alone Guy Gavriel Kay books.

Tigrana and A Song For Arbonne are both great one-shot novels.

Probably best to ask in the main SF/Fantasy thread.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TV Zombie posted:

Are there any good self-contained fantasy books?
The Well at the World's End

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/patrick-rothfus-charity-comic/

For anyone who ever wondered about the (completely irrelevant) sexuality of any of Rothfuss’ characters.

Merry Christmas, y’all.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

For anyone who ever wondered about the (completely irrelevant) sexuality of any of Rothfuss’ characters.

Merry Christmas, y’all.

Yeesh.

Yeeeeeeesh.

I wish that was a silence in three parts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Doctor Faustine posted:

Merry Christmas, y’all.

Lol, this is real. I thought it was a parody, but that's really Rothfuss.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Doctor Faustine posted:

Merry Christmas, y’all.

Ohhh god and it's Oh Joy Sex Toy

It's like poo poo meets vomit, a pair made in hell

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
that was a fresh new hell for me so thanks?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm impressed by how accurately Rothfuss managed to capture the feeling of lovely teenaged fanfiction despite being the actual author of the book. The vague, undefined space where the characters just kinda hang out together when they aren't being written about, the stupid snarky Whedon-y voice that he gave all of them because this is Comedy, the fact that they're all talking about Kinsey scores and polyamory... it's a heady brew.

Also "takes the reigns" :rolleyes:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 20, 2018

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
alas

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Doctor Faustine posted:

Merry Christmas, y’all.

I think I'm missing something, but I can't parse the end of that. "I guess I want someone who wants me for who I really am. Is there a name for that?" "People get that from a lot of different places. From friends. From family." "What if you don't have any of those? ... So, would anyone like a drink?" WTF is even being said there? The context is sex, so I hope he's not getting that from his family.

Also, love the ethereal dream-girl Auri noping out of the conversation. She is too pure and holy for sex, Rothfuss would feel his nerd-dreams sullied otherwise.

Ragnarak
Jun 17, 2003

StonecutterJoe posted:

I think I'm missing something, but I can't parse the end of that. "I guess I want someone who wants me for who I really am. Is there a name for that?" "People get that from a lot of different places. From friends. From family." "What if you don't have any of those? ... So, would anyone like a drink?" WTF is even being said there? The context is sex, so I hope he's not getting that from his family.

He's turned to alcohol to suppress his incestuous fantasies. I mean, I'm not sure how else you interpret it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doctor Faustine posted:

Merry Christmas, y’all.

How do you overwrite and yet completely botch such a simple guest comic.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm impressed how greasy and bedraggled his beard looked even in an idealized comic depiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay so I know Oh Joy Sex Toy is dumb but as someone who only ever sees it occasionally linked on the web, I don't understand why it's so frequently referred to so disparagingly.

Did it have a comic about using racial slurs to spice up your sex life or something? I just don't quite understand the revulsion surrounding it.

Lmao that Rothfart would think that this was a good idea though.