Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Much as I ended up loving X3 I'm the kind of guy who's uncomfortable without a lot of handholding at first. Guess I should wait on this one a while given first impressions so far, huh :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Anyone know if there are built in equilencies for EST/UST MARS and CODEA?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mongolian Queef posted:

I just boarded a ship heading for who knows where. I was trying to steal an NPC ship as it landed on the pad next to me. I ran into it but the pilot never left his seat so I didn't really have anything to do in there.
Then the door closed and he undocked, headed to another system with me on board. I can only use my space suit (leave his ship in the middle of nowhere), if I press Shift-D I'm just back into the same NPC ship, not my own ship in the other system.

That'll teach you to be a stow away.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TheTrend posted:

Anyone know if there are built in equilencies for EST/UST MARS and CODEA?

There's an AutoTrade function, but you need a pilot to be level 3 to do it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Level 3 to start sector trading?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

would be awesome if you could figure out how to make a living as a space hobo. Are there lockers and stuff full of personal inventory items you can loot and sell on stations until you could afford a ship?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

would be awesome if you could figure out how to make a living as a space hobo. Are there lockers and stuff full of personal inventory items you can loot and sell on stations until you could afford a ship?

He just needs to keep hitching rides from random NPC ships till he gets a ride back to where his ship is docked.

I do not see what the problem is with this emergent gameplay.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gonna make a space hobo save

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Level 3 to start sector trading?

As far as I can tell.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

game good, i got the player station but so far away from being able to do anything with it. just gonna do mossions and poo poo now

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mongolian Queef posted:

I just boarded a ship heading for who knows where. I was trying to steal an NPC ship as it landed on the pad next to me. I ran into it but the pilot never left his seat so I didn't really have anything to do in there.
Then the door closed and he undocked, headed to another system with me on board. I can only use my space suit (leave his ship in the middle of nowhere), if I press Shift-D I'm just back into the same NPC ship, not my own ship in the other system.

This is some good X game poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

As far as I can tell.

Yes there are a bunch of things locked by pilot level.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I can build a giant bong shaped space weed dispensary and walk around in it?

10/10 GOTY.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yes there are a bunch of things locked by pilot level.

I guess "revisit known stations" is going to be the sector trader equivalent?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mongolian Queef posted:

Owned

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess "revisit known stations" is going to be the sector trader equivalent?

I think that might be rather than dropping satellites everywhere you can set someone to keep you up to date by revisiting stations. I think you can actually just tell them to sector trade as a right click command when selected, here:

The commands are actually very comprehensive from the looks of it, you just need to know where they are, there's just a shitload of buttons.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Much as I ended up loving X3 I'm the kind of guy who's uncomfortable without a lot of handholding at first. Guess I should wait on this one a while given first impressions so far, huh :v:

I would not expect to see a massive overhaul of the tutorial down the road. None of the X games have been particularly well fleshed out, either at release or afterwards, when it comes to giving you a detailed tutorial. The only reason to wait would be in the hopes of someone writing a community guide or tutorial.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GTX 980 and i7, smooth sailing. Game take all the X staples to extreme. I have no idea what’s going and am completely overloaded. Also gamepad support out of the box, but holy poo poo is this going to take time to learn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really want to know how to sell ships, I want to swap this elite for a magpie miner.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got 3321 FPS and my gpu exploded help why isn't vsync in the graphics menu :supaburn:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I really want to know how to sell ships, I want to swap this elite for a magpie miner.

Go into the map, select the ship you want to sell, then right click on a shipyard/wharf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pylons posted:

Go into the map, select the ship you want to sell, then right click on a shipyard/wharf.

Ah, will try that. Much appreciated!

E: Oh jesus it's not worth much. If I sold it I'd actually be stranded here :v:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Main question: do you still jack capitals by throwing boarding pods at them? loving hated training marines but best to know if it's the case or not.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What are people playing with? Mouse and keyboard, joystick, controller?

I have a joystick that I might use, but idk if it's optimized for that.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

SSAO was the big killer for me, and it doesn't seem to get turned off with the high/medium/low settings. I also get a big drop staring at the sun, for some reason, at 1440p but not at 1080p.

I bet I need to do this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

Main question: do you still jack capitals by throwing boarding pods at them? loving hated training marines but best to know if it's the case or not.

Rebirth greatly overhauled boarding and I don't know how they've implemented it in this one, but you didn't need to train marines so much in Rebirth because you whittled down the enemy boarding strength by disabling the ship. Or rather you trained them by boarding poo poo, and it was kinda fun to just steal every loving thing not nailed down and flog it to fund more marines.

No keeping them in a station for hours I don't think.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

What are people playing with? Mouse and keyboard, joystick, controller?

I have a joystick that I might use, but idk if it's optimized for that.

Steam controller is working fine for me with occasional transition to keyboard for those few commands I haven't bound yet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Where is the emblems folder so I can drop dicks into it?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have two mining lasers on my sunder vanguard, how the heck do i get them to actually mine an asteroid???

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope it doesn't take pilots too long to level up, I want to see how AutoTrader works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Themage posted:

I have two mining lasers on my sunder vanguard, how the heck do i get them to actually mine an asteroid???

Shoot them at it?

Or are they turreted?

E: For best results, turn on your scan mode and shoot the red bits of the rock, immediately chips off chunks of valuable ore.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 30, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

queeb posted:

game good, i got the player station but so far away from being able to do anything with it. just gonna do mossions and poo poo now

Are you able to deploy this station anywhere you like, or does it get created in a specific place based on your start?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

Shoot them at it?

Or are they turreted?

E: For best results, turn on your scan mode and shoot the red bits of the rock, immediately chips off chunks of valuable ore.

they're turreted and there doesn't seem to be a deploy turrets keybind anywhere

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

specific place

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Themage posted:

they're turreted and there doesn't seem to be a deploy turrets keybind anywhere

Try ship information > default behaviour tab at the top, might be in there? I don't have anything with turrets yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

queeb posted:

specific place

I suspect given the nature of the station it might be movable once you get it up and running.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Oh my god this game is so loving frustrating.
My enjoyment would go up approximately 1000% if the map was usable. As it is right now it is completely covered by huge "menus" or something for each station in the system. I need to zoom in really really far to be able to see anything. Please tell me there is a way to disable these things?

Also I picked up some contraband after killing pirates but I can't find any way to dump/eject them because they are crafting ingredients so they don't count as cargo but the police scan detects them and they yell at me to dump my contraband and get angry.
Some tutorials are very broken, the 3rd and 4th ones I had to re-load the game to be able to proceed. The 3rd didn't spawn the signal source the first time and for the 4th one the game never spawned a trader inside the station.

The game also randomly activates missions that you have inactivated making your target switch and the autopilot is completely hosed, my ship just drifts to the right when activating it, it never goes towards my selected target.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Oh my god this game is so loving frustrating.
My enjoyment would go up approximately 1000% if the map was usable. As it is right now it is completely covered by huge "menus" or something for each station in the system. I need to zoom in really really far to be able to see anything. Please tell me there is a way to disable these things?

Also I picked up some contraband after killing pirates but I can't find any way to dump/eject them because they are crafting ingredients so they don't count as cargo but the police scan detects them and they yell at me to dump my contraband and get angry.
Some tutorials are very broken, the 3rd and 4th ones I had to re-load the game to be able to proceed. The 3rd didn't spawn the signal source the first time and for the 4th one the game never spawned a trader inside the station.

The game also randomly activates missions that you have inactivated making your target switch and the autopilot is completely hosed, my ship just drifts to the right when activating it, it never goes towards my selected target.

In the map, hit "filter settings", and then with "trade filters" selected, hit the power button on the left of the window to turn off the pricing menus.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
So with my 144hz monitor with gsync, which Vsync should I be using if disabling it "isn't supported"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

autopilots never seems to go right at your target, it always curves around to it.