Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjahedgehog posted:

Question: If you start as a feudal realm and eventually pass the Imperial Administration realm law, do you actually adopt the Imperial government type the Byzantines have -- purple portrait frame and everything -- or are you still Feudal?

You're still feudal, the Byzantines have their own unique mechanic (shared with the Roman Empire, of course). Imperial Administration merely allows your to use duchy and kingdom level viceroyalties, to revoke duchy level voceroyalties for free and to retract vassals for free. And it increases your vassal limit by a hefty 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TTBF posted:

I keep seeing an event where my options are "pay a lot of gold" or "lose an artifact". It's usually something like "Oh the armory got flooded" or "oh the library got flooded". Is there anything I can do to make this happen less? I've begun hoarding lovely items in the hopes it decreases the chance of it making me choose between 1000 gold or my axe.

Yeah, I noticed this event starting to appear once I took Maghreb (Marokko) as Ghana. Losing 800 gold every few years is a pain, even with 30g a month income.

Is it an African coast exclusive event? Maybe related to having too many artifacts or something?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I noticed this event starting to appear once I took Maghreb (Marokko) as Ghana. Losing 800 gold every few years is a pain, even with 30g a month income.

Is it an African coast exclusive event or something? Maybe related to having too many artifacts or something?

It happened a ton when I was playing Africa, haven't seen it once in my Scotland game. Maybe it's a Pagan thing?

Also, anyone know if you can have merchant republic vassals as a merchant republic? I recall them changing something recently about the number of republics you could have at one time

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

I keep seeing an event where my options are "pay a lot of gold" or "lose an artifact". It's usually something like "Oh the armory got flooded" or "oh the library got flooded". Is there anything I can do to make this happen less? I've begun hoarding lovely items in the hopes it decreases the chance of it making me choose between 1000 gold or my axe.

It's related to the rain level in your capital province. Move your capital out of Africa and it'll stop happening

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The level of culture in this thread is depressing sometimes but I suppose that it might not be that well known outside of teh Nordics?

It's extremely well-known to people who study film and still gets referenced all over the place.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Torrannor posted:

You're still feudal, the Byzantines have their own unique mechanic (shared with the Roman Empire, of course). Imperial Administration merely allows your to use duchy and kingdom level viceroyalties, to revoke duchy level voceroyalties for free and to retract vassals for free. And it increases your vassal limit by a hefty 25.

Ah nuts, I wanted that fancy purple portrait frame that HIP gives you. :(

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Sydin posted:

Oh wow okay, I thought it was just holding the area around the Medditeranian. Didn't realize I had to go take the entire Peninsula. That's going to take awhile without breaking some truces, considering one dickhead owns the whole thing. :sigh:

I'm going for that right now too, almost there. From what I read it's the kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, Al Jyzira, Iraq and Arabia. If you have Egypt when you take the decision it immediately becomes de jure also. I crusaded Jerusalem and Syria, used the Alexander bloodline invasion on Egypt and Al Jyzira, and my vassals did most of the rest themselves. All that remains is the southeast tip of the peninsula, held by Pratihara, the largest and most powerful empire on the map. At least they won't be able to call a defensive pact against me.

e:I found out while doing this that you can get a bloodline for winning two crusades in a lifetime. The one I got gives a bigger share of crusade loot. I got like 8k gold from the next one and I didn't even win it. You might already need another crusader bloodline for this type to form. I also lucked out and got a saint bloodline with +30% damage against religious enemies. Really want one that converts counties cultures faster though so trying to get getting another saint at the moment.

DISCO KING posted:

I just ran into a very bad problem in my Ghana game. 100 years ago, I conquered Maghreb in ironman and it has de jure drifted into Ghana's sphere. Found a custom empire, rad af. I have three holy sites and I have reformed the religion to Cosmopolitan. I am now permanently locked from Imperial government, and I'm stuck at triple my vassal limit. Cosmopolitan religions can't religiously revoke titles, and that is a permanent requirement for imperial organization, as well as my critical +25 vassal limit. I'm turbofucked otherwise. I guess I could convert to Shia, change the law, die, succeed to a normal person, change to imperial law? Help!

Unless your vassal limit is like comically low you might just need to make some vassal kings. If you only have 3 of the holy sites it doesn't sound like you're that huge where you have a dozen kings under you already or anything.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 30, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

Also, anyone know if you can have merchant republic vassals as a merchant republic? I recall them changing something recently about the number of republics you could have at one time

No you cannot.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Several times now I've gotten an event after razing a holding that grants me a Strange Locked Box artifact. Is there any way to open it or is it just a lockbox joke?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Eventually you can find a key that opens it and you'll get some gold. You'll find the key while raiding also.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

big dyke energy posted:

Eventually you can find a key that opens it and you'll get some gold. You'll find the key while raiding also.

Sometimes it's just empty though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

as a feudal ruler you can have multiple distinct MR vassals

any MR can never have another MR as a vassal though, only regular republics

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DISCO KING posted:

I just ran into a very bad problem in my Ghana game. 100 years ago, I conquered Maghreb in ironman and it has de jure drifted into Ghana's sphere. Found a custom empire, rad af. I have three holy sites and I have reformed the religion to Cosmopolitan. I am now permanently locked from Imperial government, and I'm stuck at triple my vassal limit. Cosmopolitan religions can't religiously revoke titles, and that is a permanent requirement for imperial organization, as well as my critical +25 vassal limit. I'm turbofucked otherwise. I guess I could convert to Shia, change the law, die, succeed to a normal person, change to imperial law? Help!

There's a mod to fix it so Cosmopolitans can use it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JosefStalinator posted:

Has anyone made an anti-pope in shattered worlds?

I'm pretty sure I meet all the requirements, but it won't let me create an anti-pope (it's grayed out). Is it a shattered worlds bug?

I have 500 prestige, free investiture (empire and kingdom), and he likes me more than the pope :(.

The only time I ever wanted to create an anti-pope, I had the same problem. It turned out that it was on cool-down because of another anti-pope, and the only way to see when that cool-down ended was looking in the save file. It takes multiple decades, IIRC.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I'm disappointed that reforming my religion as the antichrist didn't flip the good and evil gods or something

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Piell posted:

Sometimes it's just empty though.

And sometimes it's the Ark of the Covenant

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Azhais posted:

And sometimes it's the Ark of the Covenant
But that's held by the King of Abyssinia.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Pants posted:

It's extremely well-known to people who study film and still gets referenced all over the place.

Yeah even if people don't actually get the specific reference to The Seventh Seal, the idea of "playing chess with death" has seeped into pop culture pretty heavily at this point. I mean poo poo a good chunk of the plot of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is based on that reference and that's not exactly a movie aimed at hardcore film nerds.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

But that's held by the King of Abyssinia.

I thought it was in a nondescript government warehouse?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Technowolf posted:

I thought it was in a nondescript government warehouse?

That happens after raiders find it

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So what is this "Old Tree" building that's in my capital? It appeared in the building list after I reformed the Germanic faith. It doesn't say anything about what it does, just "A carved pillar bearing deep religious significance for the local pagan tribes." It also takes ten years to build, which I didn't think about enough before choosing to build it. I'm like a year in and can't upgrade any of my other stuff because I guess there's no way to cancel building something. This thing better be good!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So what is this "Old Tree" building that's in my capital? It appeared in the building list after I reformed the Germanic faith. It doesn't say anything about what it does, just "A carved pillar bearing deep religious significance for the local pagan tribes." It also takes ten years to build, which I didn't think about enough before choosing to build it. I'm like a year in and can't upgrade any of my other stuff because I guess there's no way to cancel building something. This thing better be good!

Somewhere in Saxony?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I know you can make one of those by event, but I did notice this very thing where for SOME REASON it went away and turned buildable. I think it was after someone burned down Irminsul elsewhere. Maybe it makes a new one?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

I know you can make one of those by event, but I did notice this very thing where for SOME REASON it went away and turned buildable. I think it was after someone burned down Irminsul elsewhere. Maybe it makes a new one?

If I remember right you can't build it if any pillar has been burnt in the last 20 years

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'd never heard of the chess with Death thing and haven't seen Bill and Ted :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

snoremac posted:

I'd never heard of the chess with Death thing and haven't seen Bill and Ted :shrug:

Most non-triumphant

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I just watched the beach and confession scenes of The Seventh Seal and it's a bummer that I chose black but still lost.

Death reminds me of Robert Blake in Lost Highway.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Get ready for it to go poof when you leave tribalism behind

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Azhais posted:

Somewhere in Saxony?

It was Sjaelland in Denmark. I decided to convert to feudalism about midway into building it and now it's gone, so now I hope it wasn't actually useful.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is it normal in a Charlemagne-era start for the Umayyad to dominate? As of 1008 they stretch from the borders of Ghana to Bohemia (which is also massive). The Spanish kingdoms never surfaced and France doesn't exist anymore. Even tucked up in Scotland & Ireland I'm getting a little worried about them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Is it normal in a Charlemagne-era start for the Umayyad to dominate? As of 1008 they stretch from the borders of Ghana to Bohemia (which is also massive). The Spanish kingdoms never surfaced and France doesn't exist anymore. Even tucked up in Scotland & Ireland I'm getting a little worried about them.

Yeah they tend to blob, same with the Abbasids. A decadence revolt might come along and explode them but it's very random how long that might take or if it will even happen at all.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

snoremac posted:

yes, the biggest reason to start in charlie is if you deliberately want to play a game in that early era. everyone likes the idea of starting from the earliest date but honestly the old gods start is early enough to be an epic marathon of history without also the off the rails blobs that form

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

yes, the biggest reason to start in charlie is if you deliberately want to play a game in that early era. everyone likes the idea of starting from the earliest date but honestly the old gods start is early enough to be an epic marathon of history without also the off the rails blobs that form

The main thing about the Charlie start that you don't get in the later starts, even Old Gods, is tribals and pagans everywhere. Old Gods is obviously still pretty pagan-heavy but they've been pushed out of a lot of Europe and many of the ones that still are there are feudal rather than tribal (which you technically can't do normally but Old Gods was made before Charlemagne so there are still some feudal unreformed pagans).

Honestly the best start date is still probably the original start date and the variations around it (William the Conqueror, Alexiad). The earlier start dates are neat but there's not much in the game that actually requires that huge time frame to accomplish.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Playing my first game of HF and the Children’s Crusade was just victorious. Is this... common?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Soup du Jour posted:

Playing my first game of HF and the Children’s Crusade was just victorious. Is this... common?

Actually, yes, in my experience. At least half the time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main thing about the Charlie start that you don't get in the later starts, even Old Gods, is tribals and pagans everywhere. Old Gods is obviously still pretty pagan-heavy but they've been pushed out of a lot of Europe and many of the ones that still are there are feudal rather than tribal (which you technically can't do normally but Old Gods was made before Charlemagne so there are still some feudal unreformed pagans).

Honestly the best start date is still probably the original start date and the variations around it (William the Conqueror, Alexiad). The earlier start dates are neat but there's not much in the game that actually requires that huge time frame to accomplish.

I think generally the 1066 start is better if you prefer politicking, while 769 and 867 are better if you're looking for a more combat-focused campaign. Anywhere where two different religions share a border is going to have a lot more fighting, and there's a hell of a lot more of that in the earlier start dates.

Obviously you can change this up depending on who or where you choose to play (a count in Lotharingia in 867 probably is going be scheming, while one of the Spanish kings in 1066 is going to be fighting a lot) but in general that's how it seems to shake out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snoremac posted:

Yes. The Charlemagne start is not that good, which I've written here several times now. There are several blobs just waiting to blob even further. You have the Abbasids at their biggest extend, which is just a Muslim Clown Car waiting to happen. If they don't take off, the Umayyads have a good chance of blobbing instead. Then there's Charlemagne himself. There's a good chance either him or his brother form a mega-Francia. At least there's also a good chance that their lands explode in a Karling thunderdome, unlike the two big Muslim powers, which rarely implode. There's also mega-Tibet, which either can blob into India on it's own, or gets absorbed by the Western Protectorate, which then blobs instead.

Play the Old Gods start, folks!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can become unreformed pagan feudal, if you play a horde and settle as feudal. It's actually not uncommon to see unreformed Tengri feudal rulers emerge (apart from those that are there from the start, like a branch of the Dulo dynasty).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a way to stop my kinds from being murdered? Like I've lost way too many monarchs to assassinations (that drat hunting one keeps happening) and there's nothing I can do, because the plots I can't stop any factions because the Council blocks me from arresting or killing them.

I keep having really good, well groomed monarchs die almost instantly because of a runaway cart.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a way to stop my kinds from being murdered? Like I've lost way too many monarchs to assassinations (that drat hunting one keeps happening) and there's nothing I can do, because the plots I can't stop any factions because the Council blocks me from arresting or killing them.

I keep having really good, well groomed monarchs die almost instantly because of a runaway cart.

There's a checkbox in the 'known plots' tab of the intrigue screen labelled "end all plots" or something like that and your spymaster will automatically ask people to end a plot after being discovered. This wont stop strong vassals who hate your guts, or people outside your realm who dont care about you, but it does end like 90% of plots targeting your court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Have you looked at your spymaster? The most important thing in a spymaster is not having high stats, or being a powerful vassal who's appeased for being on the council. The most important thing by far is loyalty to your char. If you're in this much trouble, you should prioritize this above all else.

Also, even spymaster that like you will be willing to betray you if they have "amoral" traits. Beware of deceitful, envious and/or arbitrary spy masters.

The reason this is so important is that you're basically dead already if your spymaster backs a plot to kill you, it's only a matter of time. Both because you have a low chance of discovering the plot, and because they give huge plot power if they are backing one. And remember that your wife can also give quite a bit of plot power, there's a reason one of the loading screen hints is "Carefully check the traits of your wife". She should better like you as well.

If you've discovered a plot against you, and the council doesn't let you arrest the plotters, you can also simply ask them to stop the plot, or ask the backers to stop backing the plot. Look up who's trying to kill you in the intrigue tab under "plots". You will also see who's backing those plots. If they're not willing to stop plotting/backing the plot when you ask them, gift them some gold and check if they're willing to stop now.

Also, you need to solve your council troubles. Fire all your councilors who dislike you and replace them with unlanded characters who do like you. Convince them to pass the law that lets you give out titles without council approval. Then give away titles that cause opinion penalties. Most importantly, you get -10 opinion for every duchy you hold as a king beyond two. So if you hold 3 duchies, you get -10 opinion with every vassal, if you hold 5 duchies you get a massive -30 opinion with every vassal.

Then work on passing the law that lets you imprison without council approval. Your vassals will be unhappy with you for a while, but just beat them down in the inevitable war. When they're behind bars, they can't rebel anymore (and get imprisoned automatically once they lose the war).

Generally, it's fine if the council has some powers. Personally, I don't care if the council forbids me from executing or banishing somebody, then they will just have to sit in prison for the rest of their lives. But the key powers are being able to grant titles, and being able to imprison people. Being able to revoke titles is also pretty important. The first two council powers (voting on laws and voting on war declarations) are necessary to have an empowered council, which is an acceptable tradeoff.