Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Licarn posted:

That list has a bent towards competitive battles, no normal person gave a poo poo about most of those.

Some of them, like Mimic, didn't even work like that in the actual game, only in link battles.

I'm surprised that they don't list the many other ways the games were crappy, like the terrible programming, the abysmal movesets, the nonexistent type balance, the fact that two of the OG types had one family apiece, Dragon damage being entirely theoretical, and the fact that nowhere does the game tell you how moves work or how strong they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I beat the Omanyte and Mankey Master trainers last night, and your main goal is basically to develop some sort of cheese strat. Toxic/protect/rest works, but you can also get a little silly with the process. For Mankey, I did the fight eight times until my Ice Punch froze him and I won from there. Omanyte, you just Shell Smash then Hydro Pump. The only candies you reeeeeeeally need are speed ones to manipulate whether you go first or second, but buffing up enough to where you can survive two/three hits might take a lot more.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a candy for Special Defense?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I still like that the Special Stat needs nothing but bitter laughter to explain it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tayter Swift posted:

Is there a candy for Special Defense?

Courage candy IIRC.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Kurieg posted:

Courage candy IIRC.

Oh that's right, thanks. I think I've only see one monster drop that and I don't remember which. (No need to tell me -- I like the hunt.)

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

There is a real, real good place to find Charmanders.

Go east from Cerulean city, around the corner and to the Rock Tunnel, then take the first ladder down from the entrance.

You'll be in a large chamber, and four to five Pokemon will spawn almost immediately. If they aren't Charmanders, just go up and down the ladder again. Real easy to generate lots of Pokemon and thus Charmanders.

It's great if you want to use a lure too, as the lure lasts a certain number of steps and going up and down a ladder uses pretty much no movement so it'll last forever.

Hey thanks for this tip, I used it just now and got a shiny Charmander after about 30 catches. I interrupted my streak once for a shiny Kangaskan, too.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The comment on type effectiveness using the second type of the Pokemon is incorrect. It doesn't consistently use the first or second type, but rather has a lookup table with a hardcoded list and the message you see is based on the last type matchup found on the list. See this page for more information about how it actually works:

https://www.dragonflycave.com/experimentation

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can i get a defog on that text

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

oddium posted:

can i get a defog on that text

Sorry. I know it's not easy to read but that's the only version of the image I have.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sorry. I know it's not easy to read but that's the only version of the image I have.

Right click > search Google for image

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Bulbagarden/status/1068672106810855424

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
One would hope a lot of that poo poo is fixed in Let's Go anyway, I mean the E4 fights are different along with some moves iirc

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
gently caress. Just reset my switch trying to get my Go account to sync to LGE

Turns out I forgot to save beforehand
Lost my chains and mons of Bulbasaur, Caterpie, and Weedle + beating Giovanni :(

Unrelated, is it better to wait until after the Elite 4 to go for a living dex or is any time fine?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

X13Fen posted:

gently caress. Just reset my switch trying to get my Go account to sync to LGE

Turns out I forgot to save beforehand
Lost my chains and mons of Bulbasaur, Caterpie, and Weedle + beating Giovanni :(

Unrelated, is it better to wait until after the Elite 4 to go for a living dex or is any time fine?

Any time is fine, but afaik you need to beat the Elite four for #150

E: I feel like if the next pokemon game doesn't allow LGPE pokemon transfers, then at LEAST make a new Hey You Pikachu that lets me bring in pokemon from GO and Let's GO.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 1, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

One would hope a lot of that poo poo is fixed in Let's Go anyway, I mean the E4 fights are different along with some moves iirc

i think pretty much every single thing in the image was changed in gen 2

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I recall seeing a bunch of "Every Problem With..." attempts for later generations that were hilariously reaching.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

X13Fen posted:

You need to beat the game to get access to Mewtwo and Ditto, so you may as well wait. It's also better in a practical sense, since a living dex requires you to do a lot of leveling and grinding in Cerulean Cave is the most effective way to level grind there has ever been in any Pokemon game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You need to beat the game to get access to Mewtwo and Ditto, so you may as well wait. It's also better in a practical sense, since a living dex requires you to do a lot of leveling and grinding in Cerulean Cave is the most effective way to level grind there has ever been in any Pokemon game

You do not need to beat the game to get Ditto. You can find them in the abandoned mansion on Cinnabar

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Macaluso posted:

You do not need to beat the game to get Ditto. You can find them in the abandoned mansion on Cinnabar

Was about to post this. Doesnt matter much though, when youre at cinnabar youre mostly done with the story anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I got ditto and haven't beat the game yet. It's in the mansion

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gently caress. When they say Dec 1 they must mean midnight on the dot.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You do need to beat the game to get Lickitung though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there a way to have a travel Pokemon out to ride around on, for example a Persian, but not have them be in your team?

Cause that's like the one annoying thing I don't like about Let's Go

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Is there a way to have a travel Pokemon out to ride around on, for example a Persian, but not have them be in your team?

Cause that's like the one annoying thing I don't like about Let's Go

And they're already halfway there with your little buddy hanging out with you whether or not he's on your active team.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alxprit posted:

You do need to beat the game to get Lickitung though.

I brought mine in from Go

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Does Mina only give you bottle caps for beating her every day after you become the league champ? I fought her the last couple days and I didn't get one either time.

edit: Just got to the League yesterday, I'll do the E4 tonight

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Chill Penguin posted:

Where are the Moon Stones? Is Bullet Punch in this game? What about Wish and Baton Pass?

Still wondering if these moves are in LGPE. Anybody know?

Edit: just looked em up on Serebii. Nope. Lame.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 1, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

Does Mina only give you bottle caps for beating her every day after you become the league champ? I fought her the last couple days and I didn't get one either time.

edit: Just got to the League yesterday, I'll do the E4 tonight

Yes. You get it in the battle message though, not through dialogue in the overworld. Maybe you did get it but were expecting her to say "Here take this bottle cap"

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yes. You get it in the battle message though, not through dialogue in the overworld. Maybe you did get it but were expecting her to say "Here take this bottle cap"

I got the one from winning the first time, but after I didnt get any. Ill try agein after beating the elite 4

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well got my first shiny, a Pikachu and... okay what the hell is the point if it's not even going to sparkle when it's out of the ball on the overworld.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
They're pokemon not vampires.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I want my money back :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just saw Pokemon The Power of Us

Pretty good! Definitely in the better entries of the stores. Things of note

- ZeroOra looks like a Sonic the hedgehog character

- The designers decided Jessie has been wearing too many clothes up to this point so now her outfit is slightly skimpier? (no sleeves, my wife said this is likely because modern fashion trends bare shoulders)

- It had a whole roadshow presentation, an interview with the director of the first 20 movies at the start, then an interview with the detective Pikachu director, and two Pokemon Generations shorts

- Movie format definitely seemed fresh, a gaggle of characters set up in short segments that all come together in a disaster movie format I haven't really seen in a Pokemon movie

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 1, 2018

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's a good shiny variant

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought Moonstones were supposed to spawn every 24 hours. No items are spawning anymore in Mt Moon

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Such a sweetie

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

An Uncommon Brushtail Possum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is very concerning because I didn't manage to find one today either, and Nidoking is the last mon I need for my full dex