Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It probably also shouldnt have existed if they didnt have a strongly defined vision for what it would be. Like its all well and good to say "were gonna remake this game!" but not even knowing if itll be episodes or how combat will work is really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I said it in the Ff7 remake thread in GBS, but the only thing that's been finished related to the game are high-end remake Cloud and Barret action figures.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We'll just keep running in circles around this subject until they finally actually show legitimate progress and not just wishy washy BS. For now, let's just say FF7R, in it's present state, basically doesn't exist and forget about it until it does.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think we all know that running around in circles until the encounter starts is the best way to improve yourself so I don't see the problem.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFT you keep finding new ways to piss me right off.

Limberry Castle gate fight starts with stop/stop/biora/biora on two units, ends before I can take a second turn with anyone. I thought your bullshit about hey gently caress you, start with poison status effect was a new rude level but here we are.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
FF7 Remake should be part of a trilogy. First game ends at Midgar, but the entire Midgar portion is now the size of a full length game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Onmi posted:

Maybe FF7RE should have a director that isn't currently being the director of a different triple-A title. Maybe then it would get done quicker?

It should also have an actual director and not a glorified concept artist.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

FF7 Remake should be part of a trilogy. First game ends at Midgar, but the entire Midgar portion is now the size of a full length game.

An open world game where you do acts of terrorism.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steampunk Saboteur

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oxxidation posted:

FF7R will never be released, and even if it is then it's not something anyone who liked the original game is going to enjoy

Of course not, everyone who played the original game will be dead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Onmi posted:

Maybe FF7RE should have a director that isn't currently being the director of a different triple-A title. Maybe then it would get done quicker?

Yeah but this is Square Enix we're talking about.

Epi Lepi posted:

The problem isn't Nomura, it's SE.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Now, now, let's be fair. It's both.

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
I feel like having a miserable Christmas, what should I play over the holidays, FF13 (I got to just before the open world part when it came out) or FF15 Royale edition (I beat the base game, enjoyed it but never touched the dlc). Both will be played one an Xbox one X if that matters.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

KH3 is also done, he twittered that his focus is entirely on VIIR, whatever that means

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Epi Lepi posted:

This a dumb and very dismissive thing to say. He's worked in the games industry for three decades.

I still wouldnt say hes a good director but probably more qualified than most at SE

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 1, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder what it is that make people so weird about Nomura

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Seems a bit like he's basically a buzz word at this point, as well as being synonymous with a lot of poo poo people didn't like about the later FF games (fairly or unfairly). I don't know a lot about what his impact has been but I'm pretty sure he's been heavily involved in a lot of games that I like very much

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

Nomura has directed the only consistently good franchise SE has made in the past 2 decades. Meanwhile SE upper managment has bungled every Big game they've tried to develop by stretching a creative workforce as thin as possible which led to multiple director walk outs. The Belt Man is not the issue and if you think he is you're a big doofus.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nomura has directed the only consistently good franchise SE has made in the past 2 decades. Meanwhile SE upper managment has bungled every Big game they've tried to develop by stretching a creative workforce as thin as possible which led to multiple director walk outs. The Belt Man is not the issue and if you think he is you're a big doofus.

Yeah, hey. When was the last time a main FF title didn't have development issues? X? XI? XII was a mess, XIII was a mess, XIV was such a mess they had to remake it, and of course, XV is a mess. All of those had different directors and creative leads. Meanwhile, the entire time XV was being worked on Nomura was heading up development on most of the KH spin-offs, when he wasn't acting in a producer role on titles like Dissidia.

I mean if you ask me, it's the culture of Square Enix's development of their main franchise which is the issue. Some might point to Dragon Quest as 'Games without development problems' but Dragon Quest is also far lower in budget and scope. Not that such things are a problem. Hell I rather love that Dragon Quest brings a charming simplicity rather than bog itself down trying to be the cutting edge. But the simple matter is the series doesn't ask for as much as Square asks for Final Fantasy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Nomura is a hero and I hope with all my might that KH3 is good. I've even stopped watching any trailers because I want everything to be fresh. I want insane plot twists, OOT declarations of friendship, I want SORA DONALD GOOFY and I want to beat stuff with my keyblade until they pop and I want it to feel GOOD. I hated DDD but that doesn't dissuade me one bit.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Welp, you're probably going to get at least most of that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’ll be a mediocre candy-colored spectacle-fest and then we can all safely write off SE forever as they continue to hemorrhage talent

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DDD was fun as hell and flying around the levels owned

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TomVanDam posted:

I feel like having a miserable Christmas, what should I play over the holidays, FF13 (I got to just before the open world part when it came out) or FF15 Royale edition (I beat the base game, enjoyed it but never touched the dlc). Both will be played one an Xbox one X if that matters.

The DLC for XV is genuinely pretty good and full of variety, even if as a total package irs not super long and FF13 is the best game in the series. You cant go wrong.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I agree, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is very good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Instant Grat posted:

I agree, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is very good

Honestly I couldn't get into it. I did that stupid, cumbersome story quest to find all the numbers, where nobody gives you any hints and it's just running around blindly looking for the visual effect that doesn't pop in at distance. Somehow I managed to finish it, and then I started checking out the other areas and the choice between Open Air Market, Desert Full Of Invisible Walls, and Poorly Textured Grasslands just wasn't compelling

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder what it is that make people so weird about Nomura

Maybe because instead of making fun video games he makes elaborate short cgi-movies that look like they could have been fun video games. He's a dog and pony showman.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As I understood it he was one of the primary reasons FF15 was in development hell so long, like how he saw Les Mis and immediately pitched reworking the entire game into a musical, just completely scatterbrained and unfocused development. And then as soon as he's taken off the project and its given to Tabata it mysteriously starts hitting milestones and is actually released as a functional product whilst Nomura's other two projects continue to languish in dev hell.

It's hard not to think he's been a symptom of SE's chaotic and dysfunctional management and not a victim of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly I couldn't get into it. I did that stupid, cumbersome story quest to find all the numbers, where nobody gives you any hints and it's just running around blindly looking for the visual effect that doesn't pop in at distance. Somehow I managed to finish it, and then I started checking out the other areas and the choice between Open Air Market, Desert Full Of Invisible Walls, and Poorly Textured Grasslands just wasn't compelling

Ive tried the game like three times and that quest is such trash that getting past it eats up like all my possible enthusiasm for the game.

Then it becomes shittier, with less QOL majoras mask and I already dont like majoras mask.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Legin Noslen posted:

Maybe because instead of making fun video games he makes elaborate short cgi-movies that look like they could have been fun video games. He's a dog and pony showman.

He does make fun video games when allowed the time to make them.

multijoe posted:

, like how he saw Les Mis and immediately pitched reworking the entire game into a musical,
That was a joke.

He was telling a joke.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 2, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If Nomura had actually tried to turn FFXV into a musical he'd be way cooler.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If Nomura had actually tried to turn FFXV into a musical he'd be way cooler.

It would have been the only good use case for the Kinect ever

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

multijoe posted:

As I understood it he was one of the primary reasons FF15 was in development hell so long, like how he saw Les Mis and immediately pitched reworking the entire game into a musical, just completely scatterbrained and unfocused development. And then as soon as he's taken off the project and its given to Tabata it mysteriously starts hitting milestones and is actually released as a functional product whilst Nomura's other two projects continue to languish in dev hell.

It's hard not to think he's been a symptom of SE's chaotic and dysfunctional management and not a victim of it.

No. FFXVs problems were definitely a symptom of the company starting with the xiii games and ffxiv failing requiring a massive shift in resource allocation, outsourcing and other miserable issues. SE's problems were very well documented.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

That was a joke.

He was telling a joke.

Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. It doesn't really change the point that FF15 spent a decade in development hell unable to coalesce into an actual product for the entire time Nomura was directing it, and then as soon as Tabata took over and reorganised the project it started to hit its development milestones and got released in a reasonable timeframe, in spite of SE's upper management.

Looking at the FF15 debacle it is reasonable to conclude Nomura doesn't seem to be a very good project manager and is likely at least in part to blame for the endless development cycles of every game he directs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

you're a big doofus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

multijoe posted:

Looking at the FF15 debacle it is reasonable to conclude Nomura doesn't seem to be a very good project manager and is likely at least in part to blame for the endless development cycles of every game he directs.
What? Nomura has directed and released like a million Kingdom Hearts games in the last 15 years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

multijoe posted:

Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. It doesn't really change the point that FF15 spent a decade in development hell unable to coalesce into an actual product for the entire time Nomura was directing it, and then as soon as Tabata took over and reorganised the project it started to hit its development milestones and got released in a reasonable timeframe, in spite of SE's upper management.

You do know he was active on like... 12 released games before Tabata even came on to FFXV. Once you actually look at the situation and who was doing what it becomes very clear what the problem was.

Actually the simple way to think of it is this. Matsuno had troubled development with ffxii and "stepped down due to health issues " Nomura gets pulled from XV and is then given 2 major triple A projects. That's not something you do to someone that's a failure.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 2, 2018

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

What? Nomura has directed and released like a million Kingdom Hearts games in the last 15 years.

All of which were lower budget side-titles and had co-directors. The only AAA title he's been attached to in the last decade (that's actually released) only released when he was taken off the project and given to someone who could actually organise a large production.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

All of which were lower budget side-titles and had co-directors. The only AAA title he's been attached to in the last decade only released when he was taken off the project and given to someone who could actually organise a large production.

Maybe it had something to do with with directing a dozen+ games alongside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Nomura has many problems but when we consider SE management is so hosed he was the official director of FF7 Remake for months without actuallu being told he looks a little less culpable