Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am not an earthquake expert but I thought it specifically doesn't work like that. Like, there is tons of earthquakes all day every day, there isn't a separate store of 100 year old earthquake energy that builds up that gets saved for the big one separately. So it's mostly just a luck of the draw every X years if conditions do or don't make a big earthquake, waiting longer doesn't increase the odds beyond it being more time. (statistically at least, I am sure someone could find a specific fault that had specific energy building and building at a specific location, but not like, that is how earthquakes as a concept work)

Seismologists do indeed estimate how much strain energy has accumulated on specific portions of faults. The longer there isn't a major earthquake on that section, the more stress accumulates and the likelier a big earthquake becomes. Sure, theoretically you could release that energy in a billion tiny earthquakes that cause no damage, but that's not plausibly likely.

The section of the San Andreas that would hit LA is overdue based on the historical average time between big quakes, but as you've mentioned that's not a timetable. It's like saying we haven't had a 50-year flood for more than 75 years.

But also, there is a huge amount of strain built up on certain key sections of the San Andreas, that's something scientists can measure, and it's increasing faster than it's being released by small quakes. So in terms of the "pressure" accumulating in the system, the risk is increasing every year that we don't have a big quake.

This is a really dumb analogy, but it's like blowing a bubble with bubblegum, or inflating a balloon. At some point it's going to pop, you might know roughly when but you can't predict for certain. What you do know for sure is that the more you inflate it, the more pressure there is, the more likely it is to burst, the more likely the risk of failure.

edit: so I guess to address this specifically the way you put it, there is kind of a separate store of 100-year earthquake energy. Yes there are small quakes all the time releasing some energy, but the total strain is continually increasing and at some point you're going to need a big quake to release that large store of pent-up energy. Rock is (mostly) brittle, you're not going to have a slow gentle release of energy, you're going to build up strain until you reach the breaking point.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Haha please link an article about this

This was what I could find:

https://gawker.com/5952233/tech-guru-leo-laporte-cant-stop-revealing-his-sexxxy-texts-on-his-internet-tv-show

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dallas police officer Amber Guyger indicted by a grand jury in the murder of Botham Jean

Looks like a for-real murder charge and not manslaughter like she was arrested under.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Annie-loving-Lennox, you fools!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your Taint posted:

Plus, there has not been a single person in the history of existence who hasn't looked like a complete dipshit while wearing a bowtie.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The only other thing I could find is some people were mad about something he said about gender on his Netflix show? Either way, not something I'd lump in with sexual harassment

the people mad were Chuds and other youtube supastarz.

Also sure was weird how all those regressive shits claim to love science and say Nye was a giant part of their childhood yet didnt grow up and get some sort of STEAM related job or hobby.

*posts new video about Soyboy feminist antifi supasoilders*

Also Nye himself is like the only dude who should be allowed to wear a bowtie and regressive wonderboys that get glass frames and vests so they look smart should be forced into a jigsaw death trap to prove their smartness.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The only other thing I could find is some people were mad about something he said about gender on his Netflix show? Either way, not something I'd lump in with sexual harassment

He makes some fairly insane claims about gender and sexuality on his netflix show and tries to pass it off as science. Mostly that's the issue with him, he's not a scientist, and gender identity/sexuality is complicated and emerging at best, it's certainly not "settled science".

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Annie-loving-Lennox, you fools!

A quick GIS proves this correct. :colbert:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He actually married her after which is sort of adorable in a funny way

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

This is a really dumb analogy, but it's like blowing a bubble with bubblegum, or inflating a balloon.

And then something bad happens!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah well it looks like he was separated at the time and it was a mutual consensual relationship, so not as scandalous but still very funny

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pellisworth posted:

Seismologists do indeed estimate how much strain energy has accumulated on specific portions of faults. The longer there isn't a major earthquake on that section, the more stress accumulates and the likelier a big earthquake becomes. Sure, theoretically you could release that energy in a billion tiny earthquakes that cause no damage, but that's not plausibly likely.

The section of the San Andreas that would hit LA is overdue based on the historical average time between big quakes, but as you've mentioned that's not a timetable. It's like saying we haven't had a 50-year flood for more than 75 years.

But also, there is a huge amount of strain built up on certain key sections of the San Andreas, that's something scientists can measure, and it's increasing faster than it's being released by small quakes. So in terms of the "pressure" accumulating in the system, the risk is increasing every year that we don't have a big quake.

This is a really dumb analogy, but it's like blowing a bubble with bubblegum, or inflating a balloon. At some point it's going to pop, you might know roughly when but you can't predict for certain. What you do know for sure is that the more you inflate it, the more pressure there is, the more likely it is to burst, the more likely the risk of failure.

Friendly reminder too that the pacific northwest has huge 8.0-level earthquakes with huge tsunamis every ~300 years like clockwork. The last one was in the 1700s... NOVA did a great full hour episode a few years back, but here's a quick little thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sJ0QJ31fc

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pseudanonymous posted:

He makes some fairly insane claims about gender and sexuality on his netflix show and tries to pass it off as science. Mostly that's the issue with him, he's not a scientist, and gender identity/sexuality is complicated and emerging at best, it's certainly not "settled science".

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bill-nye-gender-chromosomes/

quote:

The world is wonderfully diverse. As scientists we use the scientific method to try and understand that diversity. That is what is happening with the study of human sex and sexuality. Right now, biologists, sociologists, anthropologists, they all are trying to figure this out. And they are finding out that human sexuality is on a spectrum.

Uh that sounds like the opposite of saying it's settled science

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There was an episode on gender identity & expression, and I want to say it had some mixed opinions on how well it handled the subject - I think some people were happy with it, some felt it maybe didn't get deep enough, or spoke in very broad terms in a way that maybe didn't cover the subject entirely?

I've also seen some criticism that the panel segments from the show in general were kinda lovely because they'd always have a contrasting view point that kinda came off as a "both sides of the issue" sort of thing.

I just remember it being kinda hard to separate the people unhappy with the show because it was just weak/cringey at times, from the people just mad at the subject matter. There was no shortage of people put off by the gender issues episode for the wrong reasons, that's for sure.

e: thread moves fast.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 30, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Is there any other sources for the NDT thing? Bunch of folks I mentioned it to keep saying "Pathos is a right wing religious blog, this is the definition of fake news" and bet me $5 apiece that it wouldn't be true.

And I want my $5.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 30, 2018

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Bicyclops posted:

He's douchey in a pedant way and I didn't like him before, but I try not to do the "Is anyone really surprised?" about sexmonsters at this point, because it's not like there aren't some perfectly likable, non-pedantic sexual assaulters out there.
I am never surprised about ANY famous man turning out to be a sexmonster. Literally none would surprise me.

Women I'd raise my eyebrows at in general, because it's statistically unlikely, but sure. That happens too. People are terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The people cited are actual colleagues and other academics who worked with him, the author of the article is a skeptic

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Either it's real and it shows up on actual news, or it's just a smear campaign and it won't. It's not exactly a neutral party in this case.
nvm I misunderstood the POV going on here.

Re: Nye, probably the worst thing he did was debate some young earther and let himself be gish galloped after raising their profile. No idea how you can not be prepared for that before going into a televised debate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
For those asking about the Bill Nye gender expression episode, hbomberguy did a good two-part episode about the backlash against this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA < part 1.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1068590039230291969

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

pookel posted:

I am never surprised about ANY famous man turning out to be a sexmonster. Literally none would surprise me.

Women I'd raise my eyebrows at in general, because it's statistically unlikely, but sure. That happens too. People are terrible.

I'm still crossing my fingers John C Reilly and Tom Waits aren't aren't sex pests

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Your Taint posted:

Plus, there has not been a single person in the history of existence who hasn't looked like a complete dipshit while wearing a bowtie.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Your Taint posted:

Bowties are like fedoras -- to get away with them, as a man, you have to be either ancient and adorable OR an actual jazz musician

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You stood by and let a coach rape some kids, so...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Harik posted:

Either it's real and it shows up on actual news, or it's just a smear campaign and it won't. It's not exactly a neutral party in this case.
nvm I misunderstood the POV going on here.

Re: Nye, probably the worst thing he did was debate some young earther and let himself be gish galloped after raising their profile. No idea how you can not be prepared for that before going into a televised debate.

for what its worth, Nye says he knows that the koolaid drinkers are like 99.99999999999% not going to change their mind, but he just wants to give the kids in such places a life rope to know that there's some weirdos like him that believe different ideas and for some reason Jeeazus/Donnie hasn't hit him and other nonregressives with lightning for some reason.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
For gently caress's sake, this is one thing (among many) that annoys me about the internet. Some moron makes a throwaway comment about some public figure being a bad person and we immediately have to start trawling through decades of a public figure's life to find something to back that up? I'm indifferent to Bill Nye, but isn't there something perverse about so casually trying to find anything we can to tear someone down for no good reason?

Suggestion: everyone who pipes up about a public figure being "bad" or a "piece of poo poo" or some variation of "I heard..." has to post corroborating material from a reliable source or eat a probation. Just casually casting aspersions about someone's character is damaging, because people will retain a vague memory of the negative association with that person without any corresponding memory of how reliable the original assertion was. It's character assassination using the same poo poo-flinging techniques as fake news and we ought to be better than that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

For those asking about the Bill Nye gender expression episode, hbomberguy did a good two-part episode about the backlash against this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA < part 1.

I crack up at the dramatic reading with reverb of “Encouragement of SODOMY” everytime

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blurred posted:

For gently caress's sake, this is one thing (among many) that annoys me about the internet. Some moron makes a throwaway comment about some public figure being a bad person and we immediately have to start trawling through decades of a public figure's life to find something to back that up? I'm indifferent to Bill Nye, but isn't there something perverse about so casually trying to find anything we can to tear someone down for no good reason?

Suggestion: everyone who pipes up about a public figure being "bad" or a "piece of poo poo" or some variation of "I heard..." has to post corroborating material from a reliable source or eat a probation. Just casually casting aspersions about someone's character is damaging, because people will retain a vague memory of the negative association with that person without any corresponding memory of how reliable the original assertion was. It's character assassination using the same poo poo-flinging techniques as fake news and we ought to be better than that.

People were mostly actually going through his history to prove he'd done good things and was scandal-free, but feel free to lose your head about it, I guess.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dork.

Goober.

Okay, now we're talking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Knight posted:

I despise people who use "uh well its science" to try and find a reason to dismiss all this gender stuff, when in reality there are loads of scientists who are researching this very topic.

Bill Nye isn't a scientist so much as a science fanboy, which is totally okay because he generally recognizes that most of the things he is saying comes from people who have a higher level of expertise in this than he does and doesn't claim that these ideas are his and his alone.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what did bill nye do? he has been pretty loving progressive and in general good, yeah he isn't a super expert but at least he doesn't sit on twitter being a weird douche about space movies and politics like NDT.

To clarify, I don't think Bill Nye is a sex pest. I just don't like him, and know first hand that he can be extremely dickish and full of himself.

Besides, Beakman was better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

To clarify, I don't think Bill Nye is a sex pest. I just don't like him, and know first hand that he can be extremely dickish and full of himself.

Thanks for clarifying 2 pages later after people were left scratching their heads.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Then you really shouldn't have invoked his name right after NGD and Al Franken. That was crazy misleading.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bill Nye isn't a scientist so much as a science fanboy, which is totally okay because he generally recognizes that most of the things he is saying comes from people who have a higher level of expertise in this than he does and doesn't claim that these ideas are his and his alone.

I don't think this is entirely fair to him, he has a degree in mechanical engineering and made a significant inventive contribution to aircraft design before becoming a full time educator/entertainer.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Pellisworth posted:

edit: so I guess to address this specifically the way you put it, there is kind of a separate store of 100-year earthquake energy. Yes there are small quakes all the time releasing some energy, but the total strain is continually increasing and at some point you're going to need a big quake to release that large store of pent-up energy. Rock is (mostly) brittle, you're not going to have a slow gentle release of energy, you're going to build up strain until you reach the breaking point.

And since the fault's a really complicated system where strain is constantly moving around as each tiny slip and small quake happens. To make things even more annoying, while we can measure 'strain', we don't have any way to translate that into anything more actionable than 'an earthquake is probably getting closer to happening'.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Blurred posted:

nice meltdown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ZobarStyl posted:

I've re-read these so many times trying to find any angle in which this is normal, and none work. "The president is trapped in a web of felonious lies, treason, and fraud that will redefine this nation's executive" is a just a thing you have to live with in TYOOL 2018.

As funny as "very legal and very cool" is, I'm struck by starting a statement with "Oh, I get it!". That's the type of behavior you see walking down the street and a crazy person storms up to you and screams, "OH, I GET IT!"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think this is entirely fair to him, he has a degree in mechanical engineering and made a significant inventive contribution to aircraft design before becoming a full time educator/entertainer.

To clarify what I mean, I believe he is a very clever person and a good engineer, but his public persona is that of someone who is very *interested* in science, but is not a personal *authority* on it. He recognizes that the stuff he is presenting is the work of people who are authorities on that specific subject and presents it as such.

This is counter to what a lot of people who are degree-carrying scientists claim, which is that they are Good At Science. All of science, regardless of field, which is of course madness.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Calling Brother Mouzone a dork is not a take I expected ever to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

People have this weird pathological obsession with making relationships last even when they are terrible.

It’s biology and neuroscience, my dude. You are hormonally bonded to this person and your drive to feel personally/emotionally/reproductively safe overrides your logical brain. Once you choose to nest with somebody it’s very hard to sever that attachment even if you kind of hate them. Breaking up hurts because you literally go into withdrawal.