Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Barudak posted:

Thats a different film, "Not Demolition Man"

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I will probably never see it, but predatory mech cities sound awesome.

Stupid ideas can work. That movie where Captain America was in a train that had to circle the Earth or it would freeze was pretty good.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I haven’t read Clive Barker’s Books Of Blood since I was a teenager, but I dimly recall a story in there about towns that fight each other by using their inhabitants as the motive force of some kind of Wicker Man- Jaeger mashup. Either that or I ate too much cheese that night.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

yeah I eat rear end posted:

e: it's especially irrational because I love the movie Wild Wild West, and they have a giant mechanical spider for no reason. But at least that movie had charm and will smith. The mechalondon movie does not have will smith.

Hey now, we know exactly why there's a giant mechanical spider in WWW, it's because Jon Peters was the producer.

The question is, what the gently caress was it with Jon Peters and giant spiders? That we may never know.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Torquemada posted:

I haven’t read Clive Barker’s Books Of Blood since I was a teenager, but I dimly recall a story in there about towns that fight each other by using their inhabitants as the motive force of some kind of Wicker Man- Jaeger mashup. Either that or I ate too much cheese that night.

You're right. In the Hills, the Cities is the name of the story. If you google it you can find it, but per another poster in another thread, I'm not going to link it as it is a copywritten story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I watched the first episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia because I'd heard it got pretty absurd and I'd never seen it before outside of clips, but at least the first episode is just wall-to-wall awkwardness, with no real weirdness to it it's just people being realistically awful and that's just not fun. That may just be first season problems though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BioEnchanted posted:

I watched the first episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia because I'd heard it got pretty absurd and I'd never seen it before outside of clips, but at least the first episode is just wall-to-wall awkwardness, with no real weirdness to it it's just people being realistically awful and that's just not fun. That may just be first season problems though.

I like the first season but honestly the show doesn't really become good until Danny Devito joins in season 2. There isn't really a longterm plot so I would say give one of the later episodes a shot and if you still don't like it, it's probably just not for you.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, there's a definite chance it's not for you, but the series really hits its stride when DeVito comes in. I think I remember reacting to Community that way too, like Season 1 was an almost traditional college sitcom with a few meta jokes, but if you stuck with it you got rewarded with a really original show starting with Season 2.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

BioEnchanted posted:

The first season has a lot of that. 2 or 3 is where the series really finds its stride. The absurd stuff happens in the later seasons because the series has run long enough that the characters are all over the top caricatures of who they were in season one. Which isn't me knocking the show at all, but just what happens to any comedy that runs long enough.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not gonna lie, I'd probably opt to live in the tank cities, but I still think the concept is just kind of silly. If mobility was important you would not invest an insane amount of resources in to maintaining your city's wheels/gears/engines, you would focus on smaller scale transportation like we do now. The city doesn't have to go to the oil rig to get the oil, we have things to do that.

also inzombiac remember what thread we're in. I know it's supposed to just be a fun silly idea but the absurdity of the concept and their lack of effort to sell it makes me not want to watch it. I am irritated by a movie I will never watch, which is irrational.

e: it's especially irrational because I love the movie Wild Wild West, and they have a giant mechanical spider for no reason. But at least that movie had charm and will smith. The mechalondon movie does not have will smith.

What are your thoughts on Pacific Rim?

It's absurd that anyone would build walking skyscrapers with fragile piloting mechanics to fight pan-dimensional Kaiju. You could build so many regular weapon platforms instead.

It's so illogical. It makes no sense!

But it's radical and that's all that matters.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

What are your thoughts on Pacific Rim?

It's absurd that anyone would build walking skyscrapers with fragile piloting mechanics to fight pan-dimensional Kaiju. You could build so many regular weapon platforms instead.

It's so illogical. It makes no sense!

But it's radical and that's all that matters.

With the robots I think they are a little more logical because I doubt stationary weapon platforms would work as well, and most weapons large enough to deal with them 100% for sure (i'm thinking at least MOAB-scale) aren't ideal to drop in densely populated areas. They don't seem particularly fazed by getting shot with smaller missiles, so being able to choke them out or stab them is pretty important. Also the mech suits would probably be useful to use militarily once the monster threat is gone. They seem pretty resilient too and you could just drop one in a city.

So I draw the line somewhere between giant mech suits controlled by some magic called "drifting" and giant cities that are mechanised and mobile. Maybe if I see it and they are cool enough I will be more forgiving, but just based on the commercial it's too far over my ridiculousness threshold.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How about small cities? Like instead of London it’s Lubbock, TX?

Is it the size of the city or the general concept of predatory towns?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

How about small cities? Like instead of London it’s Lubbock, TX?

Is it the size of the city or the general concept of predatory towns?

I was on vacation when Boring, Oregon tried to chase me down.

That place sucks. It barely had any missiles and gave up after a couple miles.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maybe i'm just picturing it wrong. On these mech cities are there still like...roads and parks and stuff? People going to work? Or is it really just a bigass war robot that happens to be named after the city?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I for one am glad we have people like yeah i eat rear end here to tell us how illogical giant robotic magitech cities are. Can you imagine the embarrassment if we didn't??

I watched the trailer and thought "that looks really loving stupid but also pretty enough that I might see it in theatres", not once considering the logistical nightmare a walking London would present.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Maybe i'm just picturing it wrong. On these mech cities are there still like...roads and parks and stuff? People going to work? Or is it really just a bigass war robot that happens to be named after the city?

The trailer shows massive stacks of private parks in the upper levels of the city, and the downtrodden masses marching through grey soulless corridors to their grey soulless jobs.

I'd question if a trailer needs to carefully explain how it gets to its premise, and I'd also question if a dystopia needs to carefully explain how it gets to its dystopia. 1984 didn't, Hunger Games didn't, Handmaid's Tale did and it sucked.

The real answer is that it all exists to give us the phrase "the great predator cities" which is loving awesome. The books also called it "municipal darwinism" and I'm really sad that didn't make it into the trailer.

Also Hugo Weaving looks dapper as hell with that beard.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

I for one am glad we have people like yeah i eat rear end here to tell us how illogical giant robotic magitech cities are. Can you imagine the embarrassment if we didn't??

I watched the trailer and thought "that looks really loving stupid but also pretty enough that I might see it in theatres", not once considering the logistical nightmare a walking London would present.

I'm aware it is a stupid complaint and I do "get" it, but it still irritates me. That's why I posted it in this particular thread and not some other thread for posting rational irritations in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It seems to me that food court bailiff is irrationally irritated by yeah i eat rear end's irrationally irritating movie moment

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

fwiw, yiea, the mobile city thing annoys me too. I think for me it's less the concept of moving cities (hell, it worked for a castle) and more that they also survive by eating other smaller cities?? :confused:

I figured maybe I'd like the concept more if I actually read the book (I liked the Hunger Games books, and am an enormous fan of His Dark Materials), but I read the first chapter or so thanks to Amazon's preview function and ugh, the prose.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The trailer for Mortal Engine is incoherent and I think that's a "thing" now since I felt the same way after seeing Artemis Fowl. They should at least give a hint as to what the gently caress is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlBep9uFjI

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm curious about the concept, since there's a lot of ways they could go with it. There's certainly real life cities that bloat up by devouring their surrounding area, to the detriment of everything around them. Then there's the death of 'small towns' as people naturally accumulate into big cities, as well as the environmental impact.

You would think these little cities would have an easier time getting away from London though. I know it harpoons the little cities and reels them in, but it had to get close enough to even do this. I'd assume a small borough would have superior ground speed than some massive metro.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the idea when a version was used in one of the Professor Layton games. I can only hope that it's gloriously stupid.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

fwiw, yiea, the mobile city thing annoys me too. I think for me it's less the concept of moving cities (hell, it worked for a castle) and more that they also survive by eating other smaller cities?? :confused:

I figured maybe I'd like the concept more if I actually read the book (I liked the Hunger Games books, and am an enormous fan of His Dark Materials), but I read the first chapter or so thanks to Amazon's preview function and ugh, the prose.

"Eating" just means capturing and stripping for parts/resources.

It's a pretty naked allegory for colonialism.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Panfilo posted:

You would think these little cities would have an easier time getting away from London though. I know it harpoons the little cities and reels them in, but it had to get close enough to even do this. I'd assume a small borough would have superior ground speed than some massive metro.

Imagining a pack of small towns banding together to prey on giant, lumbering New York City.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mu Zeta posted:

The trailer for Mortal Engine is incoherent and I think that's a "thing" now since I felt the same way after seeing Artemis Fowl. They should at least give a hint as to what the gently caress is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlBep9uFjI

Well that's a teaser trailer; they exist to look cool and make the audience go "I wonder what that movie is about?" until they release a trailer that has more information a few months later. It usually goes teaser>trailer1>trailer2>maybe trailer 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Imagining a pack of small towns banding together to prey on giant, lumbering New York City.

Horizon Zero Dawn meets Pacific Rim then?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Schubalts posted:

"A pack of boroughs can devour a lone parish in less than an hour... The outlying Warehouse Districts will have to wait their turn"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Gaunab posted:

Well that's a teaser trailer; they exist to look cool and make the audience go "I wonder what that movie is about?" until they release a trailer that has more information a few months later. It usually goes teaser>trailer1>trailer2>maybe trailer 3.

i actually hope they dont release more. i only saw the trailer for sorry to bother you and when you go in in the mindset the trailer sets that movie loving blows you away. when you go in knowing the twists its not as great.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'd question if a trailer needs to carefully explain how it gets to its premise, and I'd also question if a dystopia needs to carefully explain how it gets to its dystopia. 1984 didn't, Hunger Games didn't, Handmaid's Tale did and it sucked.

It was less about "how we got here" than "these people used to live normal lives but now they are in this dystopia; look at how much it sucks for them." Oh, you were a lady doctor? Great. Now you make food. That's it. You were a university profession but you also gave birth to a baby? Well, now you are a gently caress factory to the highest bidder. You were a manager at a Cosco but you are a young dude and are appear to be very loyal to the cause? Great, here's an assigned wife and a title, now go spy on people for us.
The same people exist before the change and after. It didn't happen decades ago or centuries ago; it happened yesterday.
Some of the Commander's were good men who believed in equality and freedom before Gilead. Now they revel in their privilege and belittle their wives and servants.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
For those looking for a non-YA, non-anime treatment of the topic, here's a short story for adults about predatory cities: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/the-streets-of-babel/

(Spoiler alert: it's still a metaphor for capitalism.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gaunab posted:

Trailers demonstrably do not exist to look cool and make the audience go "I wonder what that movie is about?" They are there to put asses in seats and if showing a linear report of the premise, plot, and ending is a means to that, they will do it. And in fact, they mostly do, because it is actually an effective strategy for some reason (vide Kiimo in the prior trailer thread).

That said I love trailers who stick to showing some ethereal quality of the film and stay away from major plot points. I want the feeling and the premise, not the ending. If a movie trailer interestes me, I often stop watching it at around the halfway point (where they usually start explaining how the movie ends).

Here's a great trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJj12tJzqc

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krankenstyle posted:

Trailers demonstrably do not exist to look cool and make the audience go "I wonder what that movie is about?" They are there to put asses in seats and if showing a linear report of the premise, plot, and ending is a means to that, they will do it. And in fact, they mostly do, because it is actually an effective strategy for some reason (vide Kiimo in the prior trailer thread).

That said I love trailers who stick to showing some ethereal quality of the film and stay away from major plot points. I want the feeling and the premise, not the ending. If a movie trailer interestes me, I often stop watching it at around the halfway point (where they usually start explaining how the movie ends).

Here's a great trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJj12tJzqc

Uh, they said teaser trailer.
Which is exactly it's purpose. It's suppose to drum up initial excitement without really getting into the plot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, but why is Gollum narrating it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Inzombiac posted:

Uh, they said teaser trailer.
Which is exactly it's purpose. It's suppose to drum up initial excitement without really getting into the plot.

soz i missed that. Yeah, teasers are the only good trailers imo.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Frankly, I'm not going to watch this so-called "Lords of the Ring" until a trailer tells me on explicit detail and technical diagrams exactly how Gandalf casts his magic and the methods by which this "magic" has changed and grown over the entire history of the world.

Also why are there elves? Elves aren't real. Why didn't early prehistoric humans wipe them out like the neanderthal? Please make a trailer for this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

where the gently caress do you think bog bodies come from?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People complain about all sorts of pedantic things with LOTR. Just mention the drat eagles and it will trigger a wall of "why didn't the eagles just do it" "they are too noble they wouldn't also the nazgul and also sauron" etc etc.

Besides, the only thing that really irritates me about the LOTR movies is the ring doesn't seem to really do anything except connect you to sauron and makes you invisible. Pretty lame if you ask me, Bilbo/everyone who touches it could have picked something that actually does something useful to obsess over.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

"A pack of boroughs can devour a lone parish in less than an hour... The outlying Warehouse Districts will have to wait their turn"

London gets Manchester in its sights and steadies the giant harpoon gun. Out of the corner of its eye it suddenly sees Bristol appear to its left.”

“Clever girl” London says right before Bristol strikes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Irritating TV moment: why is there even the option to pass in family feud? I can't think of any strategic reason to ever do it. Almost nobody does it. When they do, it usually screws them over. Is it just to pad out an extra few seconds of steve harvey asking pass or play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

People complain about all sorts of pedantic things with LOTR. Just mention the drat eagles and it will trigger a wall of "why didn't the eagles just do it" "they are too noble they wouldn't also the nazgul and also sauron" etc etc.

Besides, the only thing that really irritates me about the LOTR movies is the ring doesn't seem to really do anything except connect you to sauron and makes you invisible. Pretty lame if you ask me, Bilbo/everyone who touches it could have picked something that actually does something useful to obsess over.

ya i remember that bothering me too, even when i read the books as a child. The wraiths have no special abilities except they can see whoever is invisible from wearing the ring.

Just don't wear the ring Frodo ya dumdum