Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I feel like it's ok to beat up men for that but not women

I’ll amend that it might not be ok for an NFL sized athlete to beat up a normal sized woman, even if she’s Nazi’ing it up.

He should find another woman to kick her instead so it doesn’t have bad optics.

e: app won’t covert to imigur right now if someone can spot my tax

RasperFat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

A curious phenomenon I have noticed is when a disaster happens, they are usually awful on their own, but on the internet it's like a race to make them sound worse than they are. Like that tweet upthread with something on fire. It's taken from a distance and traffic and stuff is blocking any view of it. It looks like a large fire, and I'm sure it sucks for whoever owns whatever is on fire, but what's the point of posting that? Later, someone will be talking about this earthquake having seen something like that tweet and they will exaggerate a little bit and say "I saw there were huge fires after the earthquake!"

I'm not really sure what my point is but I just cringe a little whenever I see things like that and I wish things could just be shown accurately and with pertinent information, but I guess this is how the internet is.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mluckovichajc/status/1068606058938228737

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lightning Knight posted:

There is an entire legal concept built around this in the United States called “fighting words.”

Start poo poo get hit is constitutional law. :patriot:

(Inb4 I am “well actually”’d by evilweasel)
Fun fact! A major case for this involved a pacifist preacher getting the poo poo kicked out of him by a mob and a judge finding a post-factual justification for extra legal violence.

And on that note, i'm pretty sure i'm already on thin ice so i'm just gonna nope out on this particular debate.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mike Luckovich is the only redeeming aspect of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Get ready guys, the National Football League is getting ready to completely botch another domestic violence incident!

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1068590810520801280

Oh they've already all seen it and swept it under the rug.

Per the ESPN article:

quote:

Chiefs owner Clark Hunt also addressed the player's character at that time.

"Kareem is a young man, second year in the league, obviously had a very big year on the field last year," Clark Hunt said. "I'm sure he learned some lessons this offseason and hopefully won't be in those kind of situations in the future."

Clark Hunt said in August that he didn't expect the running back to be disciplined by the NFL.

In June, coach Andy Reid said he had spoken with Kareem Hunt after the second incident but declined to specifically address either situation.

I guess Trump's "letting everyone just openly not have to pretend to give a poo poo" has ironically spread to the NFL.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I feel like it's ok to beat up men for that but not women

Look at this sexist

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mod sassinator posted:

Please explain, what is the complete list of words which when uttered allow a person who hears them to violently assault someone?

I'm going to say probably just that one, given context in this country, and an emboldened presence of neo nazi fucks. Open to suggestions though.

Your Taint posted:

IF she did, I don't know how to feel. I'm still not comfortable with a man hitting a woman under any circumstances other than self-defense.

gently caress that Nazi trash is Nazi trash. If someone violently beat the poo poo out of Laura Loomer I'd have a good chuckle.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mod sassinator posted:

Please explain, what is the complete list of words which when uttered allow a person who hears them to violently assault someone?

Any racist, sexist, homophobic transphobic, etc bigoted slurs.

Unless they're against the oppressor group and then you can shut up and take it.

vvv Well to hell with them both then

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 30, 2018

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I'm going to say probably just that one, given context in this country, and an emboldened presence of neo nazi fucks. Open to suggestions though.

gently caress that Nazi trash is Nazi trash. If someone violently beat the poo poo out of Laura Loomer I'd have a good chuckle.

According to the story he also tried to force her to have sex with his friend. Not really any great people in this one.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

DrNutt posted:

While I kind of agree, I think this is still a very bad idea.

I would probably think it’d be funny if Loomer got clocked for saying stupid racist things in real time.

But most people would be put off by women getting hit in public. And it would inevitably make people more sympathetic to Nazi scum, which is a step backwards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

captainblastum posted:

According to the story he also tried to force her to have sex with his friend. Not really any great people in this one.

jesus. yeah, i don't think i believe him when he said she yelled the N word at him. gently caress this gross rear end in a top hat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

captainblastum posted:

Fair enough. If there is more to the story then so be it, not going to defend an attempted rapist. However white woman accusing black man is probably worthy of a little scrutiny over face value based on historical precedent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

There is an entire legal concept built around this in the United States called “fighting words.”

Start poo poo get hit is constitutional law. :patriot:

(Inb4 I am “well actually”’d by evilweasel)

well actually, that exists but it just lets you ban the speech rather than decriminalizes hitting someone who says a fighting word

so you could arguably ban calling someone the n-word, but that doesn't mean that if you get called the n-word and reflexively punch the person that you have a defense to assault charges

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mod sassinator posted:

Legally?

"Please don't beat me, Officer."

but only if the person asking has dark skin.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Kick nazis AND sexmonsters

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1068608849823838208

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Guys, fighting words is about government restrictions on speech, not an affirmative right to throw a punch.

e: whups, too slow, so I'll add a link to a popehat podcast about it https://legaltalknetwork.com/podcasts/make-no-law/2018/01/fighting-words/

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 30, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well, thats alot better news.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Order of events:
-She says she's not going to have sex with man
-Hunt tells her to leave the room
-She calls him the n-word
-This starts a fight with another woman, presumably black.
-She assaults that woman
-Fight escalates outside hotel room to what's on the video.

None of these things are mutually exclusive, and all of them are bad. You do not need to rank racism vs. being a creep vs. being violent in general.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
There's no sense in wishing Laura Loomer gets smacked, because she does that to herself at every opportunity. Hard, too.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1068600355225690112

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

well actually, that exists but it just lets you ban the speech rather than decriminalizes hitting someone who says a fighting word

so you could arguably ban calling someone the n-word, but that doesn't mean that if you get called the n-word and reflexively punch the person that you have a defense to assault charges

Dammit.

:negative:

In general tho it seems agreed that when you talk about "we should punch Nazis," that's an ethical statement, not a legal one. Few people argue it would be legally speaking a good idea to decriminalize punching Nazis, but rather that we should do it as a form of civil disobedience.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Good. I hope she never breathes free air again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well, thats alot better news.

They've got witnesses who heard her pounding at his door and telling him to open up, and she'd had problems with this guy before.

She went downstairs, started poo poo with the guy, and murdered him, then made up her plainly stupid and ridiculous story thinking a jury of bootlickers + her department would protect her. Sad thing is 50/50 chance on that one, glad it came out right.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Palpable difference when the state voted for Trump

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the president is so loving stupid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like when it comes to violence against racists/nazis/etc: the "one good punch' seems more satisfying then an outright beatdown, kind of like slapping someone who says something lovely/stupid, but with an appropriate higher amount of force. After all, you want them to live with the shame.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
big one

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

Fun fact! A major case for this involved a pacifist preacher getting the poo poo kicked out of him by a mob and a judge finding a post-factual justification for extra legal violence.

And on that note, i'm pretty sure i'm already on thin ice so i'm just gonna nope out on this particular debate.

That's Chaplinsky - which, like seemingly every classic offensive speech case in conlaw involves a Jehovah's Witness - those guys had a unique talent of pissing just about everyone off in every possible way which really helped us figure out what speech states are allowed to ban (very, very little)

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I'd say I'm curious to see how Alaska is treated vs Puerto Rico but... we all know how it's gonna go. Even from that tweet it's obvious.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They've got witnesses who heard her pounding at his door and telling him to open up, and she'd had problems with this guy before.

She went downstairs, started poo poo with the guy, and murdered him, then made up her plainly stupid and ridiculous story thinking a jury of bootlickers + her department would protect her. Sad thing is 50/50 chance on that one, glad it came out right.

This is just an indictment though, she hasn't actually been convicted right?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/juliadavisnews/status/1068530609642004480?s=21

To get back to politics, it’s hilarious that even though Trump licks Putin’s boots constantly Putin still keeps making GBS threads all over him.

I’ve been trying to think of another president where the diaper balloon would have happened, and I can’t think of any with so little respect that it’d become a thing. Even Bush with his “Bushisms” (and generally lovely genocidal foreign policies) didn’t get this much hate internationally. I literally cannot imagine any President we’ve ever had be so widely disrespected and thought of like a literal baby.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

correct, but just getting the indictment was hard enough because the local police/prosecutors tried to charge it only as a manslaughter. the first time they tried a TEXAS JUDGE took a look at this shooting by a cop of a black guy and was like "no, that's murder, come back here with murder charges not manslaughter" and they had to get a different judge to approve the manslaughter charge

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lightning Knight posted:

True. I mean look at Daniel Shaver (or better yet, don't) - dude is on camera playing Simon Says with him until he dies and couldn't even get indicted. The good news is that the Texan's A Man's Home Is His Castle seems to have overridden Cops Are Always Right To Shoot Black Guys.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Some might say that Alaska just got 'totally owned' by a 'whopper'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

correct, but just getting the indictment was hard enough because the local police/prosecutors tried to charge it only as a manslaughter. the first time they tried a TEXAS JUDGE took a look at this shooting by a cop of a black guy and was like "no, that's murder, come back here with murder charges not manslaughter" and they had to get a different judge to approve the manslaughter charge

lol god drat. ACAB.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

True. I mean look at Daniel Shaver (or better yet, don't) - dude is on camera playing Simon Says with him until he dies and couldn't even get indicted. The good news is that the Texan's A Man's Home Is His Castle seems to have overridden Cops Are Always Right To Shoot Black Guys.

Also ACAB.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"To the people of Alaska: you've been hit by a smooth criminal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It was one of the earthiest quakes ever, from the perspective of dirt.