Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of good lore, I hear the Octopath Traveler "secret" final dungeon bosses give you some really cool tidbits about how things tie together. However, you apparently can't pick a strong team of 4. It forces you to use all 8 characters, and the recommend level is 70+. Half of my crew is in the level 35 range. I don't think I have it in me to grind that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bushisms.txt posted:

Does it have similar lore? I read they were separate

Nah, the anime is purely goofy stuff and monster of the week.

Dedede calls a support hotline saying he wants a monster to "clobber Kirby", monster is some weird goofball, Kirby has antics around some random town and has to defeat the monster, end episode with Dedede blasting off again in most cases.

The two get mixed up a lot which is kind of a shame. The anime calls Kirby's race Star Warriors and "kirby is just a baby" which... isn't a thing in the actual games, just as a example.

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of good lore, I hear the Octopath Traveler "secret" final dungeon bosses give you some really cool tidbits about how things tie together. However, you apparently can't pick a strong team of 4. It forces you to use all 8 characters, and the recommend level is 70+. Half of my crew is in the level 35 range. I don't think I have it in me to grind that.

It's honestly not worth it. It's just 8 books that all say just about the same thing.
"Evil person came by today and made me feel like I should be extra evil/do something stupid. Boy that didn't work out."
Then your party stares at the villain without saying a single word, beat it, then leave- again without saying a single word.

Real good music and intense fight tho.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 30, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

is kirby voiced by steve urkel? if not, im out

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

is kirby voiced by steve urkel? if not, im out

Kirby is voiced by Sakurai's wife.

E: There is a episode where Dedede takes over a anime studio and makes the worlds shittiest anime where he's the hero

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 30, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I’ve never needed an avatar more in my life 🙀

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bushisms.txt posted:

I literally can't play platformers without falling asleep. I tried playing one of the snes kirbys and it seemed cute but really basic. I'd be there day one for a tv show though.

Your problem was playing Dream Land 3*, which has that effect.

* Presumably, based on your description. If you played Super Star and it bored you then there's something wrong with your brain.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kirby is voiced by Sakurai's wife.

E: There is a episode where Dedede takes over a anime studio and makes the worlds shittiest anime where he's the hero

I've been wanting a new avatar for months and this is it. Anyone able to make this avatar sized?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been wanting a new avatar for months and this is it. Anyone able to make this avatar sized?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mak0rz posted:

Your problem was playing Dream Land 3*, which has that effect.

* Presumably, based on your description. If you played Super Star and it bored you then there's something wrong with your brain.

It was Dreamland 3, good eye. What games should I try out?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yessss. Thank you!!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yessss. Thank you!!

Excellent

Also I've said this before but man it owns that this thread has a resident Kirby Loremaster

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

Y'all wanna poo poo on the Sonic stories but don't even act like you weren't hype as gently caress when you were a kid and turned into Super Sonic in Sonic Adventure the first time and were fighting this gigantic monster to that sweet Sonic buttrock

That poo poo still owns.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I really liked and got into the lore of the final battle because i was just all about the characters and i loved any more i could get.

Its not neccesary to be 70+, i did it in the high 60's and I've seen someone do it in the high 50's with a good gimmick setup, theres a certain minimum health/survivability threshold you need and beyond that its an execution fight.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

s.i.r.e. posted:

That poo poo still owns.

Well yeah

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wasn't there supposed to be a Shin Megami game for this thing?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Are they any big releases between now and Christmas?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Smash and Katamari are the big ones on my radar

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, in about 2-3 years :/

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

there was also supposed to be a fire emblem game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bushisms.txt posted:

Please play Kirby Super Star.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Spiffster posted:

Smash and Katamari are the big ones on my radar

Somehow I thought Smash was out already.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Super Star, Adventure, or anything from Return to Dreamland and after.

KDL2, 3, and Kirby 64 have a more deliberate feel compared to the action based gameplay of Super Star and its successors.

For a comparison: both games have abilities. Dream Land 3 has eight abilities and six buddies, for 56 combinations (including Kirby alone). Each of these abilities does about the same damage and varies mostly in how they're used and what puzzles they solve.

Super Star has 17 real abilities. Each has four or more moves to use, and all have their own damage, i-frames, and behavior. There are even complexity levels: where everything in Dream Land 3 is equally complex, in Super Star there's a clear distinction between "easy" abilities like Beam, Sword, and Plasma (which are easy to pick up and use well) and "hard" abilities like Suplex, Jet, and Mirror (which have strengths that may not be as apparent or are harder to leverage). There's a lot of depth to explore.

Plus, once you get to RtDL and later, you even get optional challenges that push you to explore this depth.

But play Super Star.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Reality Winter posted:

Are they any big releases between now and Christmas?

Genesis Collection

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
more Shantae

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1068580540821975042

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shantae and the Smash Release Date Curse

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kikkoman posted:

Genesis Collection

Also Katamari. Both of these games release on Smashday :smith:

I want them to be successful because I feel like every Katamari game we get is a blessing and I want another one after this one.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I'm playing Mario Tennis again while waiting for Smash. It's just been patched it so that the online tournament uses random courts (with no hazards) rather than Marina Stadium every time. Matches have been shortened to 2 games, then a tiebreaker game, which unfortunately makes it much less common to KO opponents.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
There is now an option in Xenoblade to make Mythra put some pants on

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also Katamari. Both of these games release on Smashday :smith:

I want them to be successful because I feel like every Katamari game we get is a blessing and I want another one after this one.

I just let Katamari float as a Christmas gift idea for myself, no force on heaven or earth could stop me from getting Smash on release day except all the ones that can kill you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE loving MOON posted:

I just let Katamari float as a Christmas gift idea for myself, no force on heaven or earth could stop me from getting Smash on release day except all the ones that can kill you

Same, except the exact opposite. I’m all in on Katamari

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Did anybody take the plunge on Cattails? It sounds like Stardew but with cats... I am intrigued.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Dont waste your time unless you adore the games combat system and arent somehow sick of it by the time you beat the main quests. Each character basically gets 3 paragraphs of text about their villain explaining their connection, you must beat 10 bosses in a row, and cant save at any point during it so if you die at the end do it all over. You can just read those paragraphs online and get the same value.

Your reward for grinding well past all other content and doing this hell gauntlet is an item which turns off random encounters.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

Dont waste your time unless you adore the games combat system and arent somehow sick of it by the time you beat the main quests. Each character basically gets 3 paragraphs of text about their villain explaining their connection, you must beat 10 bosses in a row, and cant save at any point during it so if you die at the end do it all over. You can just read those paragraphs online and get the same value.

Your reward for grinding well past all other content and doing this hell gauntlet is an item which turns off random encounters.

Lmfao this really is a SaGa game, isn't it?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Guess I’ll check out a video. I appreciate the heads up everyone. Also lmao at that reward item. Bravely Default/Xenoblade 2 battle options need to be in all rpgs from the start, not 60 hours in.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I mean I heard that Octopath is a love letter to 16- and 32-bit era JRPGs but yikes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its made by the people who made Bravely Default, they literally know better!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ragequit posted:

If you care about the lore, you can just do the eight bosses with your four-person party, read the lore dumps, then skip the final boss since there’s nothing interesting after that. Or just look up the lore dumps since they’re just text. They’re pretty interesting but you lose nothing looking them up honestly.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

10 bosses in a row without saving sounds insanely badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think the only parts of Octopath I really liked were the Primrose chapters, and even that story gets lame towards the end.