Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
That always kind of bugged me too. The One Ring is supposed to be able to control them all and be the most powerful or whatever. Is it ever explained what it can actually do? Maybe it is in the books and I have forgotten since I haven’t read them in nearly 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only explanation I could come up with is that maybe Sauron is the only one who is powerful enough/knows how to use it to its full capabilities. Still doesn't really explain why the peopel who don't know how to use it start calling it precious when it doesn't do poo poo for them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Overall the rings had pretty disappointing powers. It would've made more sense if wearing the One Ring turned you into Dr Manhattan, everyone would want to be walking around with a giant electrified blue dong. But just invisibility?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only explanation I could come up with is that maybe Sauron is the only one who is powerful enough/knows how to use it to its full capabilities. Still doesn't really explain why the peopel who don't know how to use it start calling it precious when it doesn't do poo poo for them.

The idea was that the One Ring wearer (be they powerful enough) would be able to directly influence all the other ringwearers. That's why they were given to Kings and whatnot.
Turns out that it's useless when all the men go psycho, the dwarves just get greedy and the elves didn't bother.

Sauron was a chump and his plan sucked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krankenstyle posted:

Trailers demonstrably do not exist to look cool and make the audience go "I wonder what that movie is about?" They are there to put asses in seats and if showing a linear report of the premise, plot, and ending is a means to that, they will do it. And in fact, they mostly do, because it is actually an effective strategy for some reason (vide Kiimo in the prior trailer thread).

I imagine some people probably get really annoyed when a trailer doesn't basically set out the plot.

I feel like a lot of people want to know what they're going to see, partly because a) going to the cinema is an expensive hobby and you don't want to waste your money on something you aren't going to like; and b) less frequently (probably just me being cynical - I see no reason not to be), people want to feel "smarter" than the movie and that means not being surprised by it. :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Irritating TV moment: why is there even the option to pass in family feud? I can't think of any strategic reason to ever do it. Almost nobody does it. When they do, it usually screws them over. Is it just to pad out an extra few seconds of steve harvey asking pass or play?

If there are lots of answers on the board and neither family answered anything in the top 3 then it’s a reasonable risk to pass. They have to guess all the answers in what is presumably a difficult topic whereas your family just needs to guess one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I remember Gandalf having a ring associated with Fire affected the outcome of his encounter with the Balrog but I have no idea what it changed

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Samuringa posted:

I remember Gandalf having a ring associated with Fire affected the outcome of his encounter with the Balrog but I have no idea what it changed

Advantage on reflex saving throws.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

People complain about all sorts of pedantic things with LOTR. Just mention the drat eagles and it will trigger a wall of "why didn't the eagles just do it" "they are too noble they wouldn't also the nazgul and also sauron" etc etc.

Besides, the only thing that really irritates me about the LOTR movies is the ring doesn't seem to really do anything except connect you to sauron and makes you invisible. Pretty lame if you ask me, Bilbo/everyone who touches it could have picked something that actually does something useful to obsess over.

You can do all sorts of other poo poo with it, provided you become practiced in the dominion of others.

The movies omit it, sadly

quote:

‘I would ask one thing before we go,’ said Frodo, ‘a thing which I often meant to ask Gandalf in Rivendell. I am permitted to wear the One Ring: why cannot I see all the others and know the thoughts of those that wear them?’

‘You have not tried,’ [Galadriel] said. ‘Only thrice have you set the Ring upon your finger since you knew what you possessed. Do not try! It would destroy you. Did not Gandalf tell you that the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor? Before you could use that power you would need to become stronger, and to train your will to the domination of others.’

Frodo uses the ring to bind gollum to his oath, in the books, which sets up the entire ensing, and apparently Jackson forgot it lol.

quote:

"I mean a danger to yourself alone. You swore a promise by what you call the Precious. Remember that! It will hold you to it; but it will seek a way to twist it to your own undoing. Already you are being twisted. You revealed yourself to me just now, foolishly. Give it back to Smeagol, you said. Do not say that again! Do not let that thought grow in you!You will never get it back. But the desire of it may betray you to a bitter end. You will never get it back. In the last need, Smeagol, I should put on the Precious; and the Precious mastered you long ago. If I, wearing it, were to command you, you would obey, even if it were to leap from a precipice or cast yourself into the fire. And such would be my command. So have a care, Smeagol!"

quote:

Down, down!’ he gasped, clutching his hand to his breast, so that beneath the cover of his leather shirt he clasped the Ring. ‘Down you creeping thing, and out of my path! Your time is at an end. You cannot betray me or slay me now.’

Then suddenly, as before under the eaves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, scarcely more than the shadow of a living thing, a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet filled with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the fire there spoke a commanding voice.

‘Begone, and trouble me no more! If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.’

The crouching shape backed away, terror in its blinking eyes, and yet at the same time insatiable desire.

Then the vision passed and Sam saw Frodo standing, hand on breast, his breath coming in great gasps, and Gollum at his feet, resting on his knees with his wide-splayed hands upon the ground.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Inzombiac posted:

Turns out that it's useless when all the men go psycho

This was literally part of Sauron's plan with the Rings. Drive the wearers deeper into powerhunger/insanity/darkness and bind their souls to the Ring forever. He only failed with the Dwarves because all they cared about was gold, not ruling the world or living forever, unlike the much shorter-lived humans.

Also the Ring greatly extended the wearer's lifespan. Gollum was one of the oldest people alive at the time of LOTR.

Schubalts has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Dec 1, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Krispy Wafer posted:

London gets Manchester in its sights and steadies the giant harpoon gun. Out of the corner of its eye it suddenly sees Bristol appear to its left.”

“Clever girl” London says right before Bristol strikes.

:laffo:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine some people probably get really annoyed when a trailer doesn't basically set out the plot.

I feel like a lot of people want to know what they're going to see, partly because a) going to the cinema is an expensive hobby and you don't want to waste your money on something you aren't going to like; and b) less frequently (probably just me being cynical - I see no reason not to be), people want to feel "smarter" than the movie and that means not being surprised by it. :shrug:
My thing is -- I almost never watch movie trailers by choice. Of course I'll come across them on TV occasionally, or before a movie I'm in the theater to see, but I generally decide whether I'd like to see a movie based on a quick plot synopsis and/or word of mouth, and avoid trailers since they're prone to spoiling things I'd rather experience myself.

However, ever so often there's a film that I feel as though might appeal to me, and my usual scant research doesn't do me enough, so I watch a trailer. And in those situations yeah, honestly the current trend of a whole bunch of fantastic visuals, but no hint as to the actual movie structure whatsoever, is not appealing for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

People complain about all sorts of pedantic things with LOTR. Just mention the drat eagles and it will trigger a wall of "why didn't the eagles just do it" "they are too noble they wouldn't also the nazgul and also sauron" etc etc.

Besides, the only thing that really irritates me about the LOTR movies is the ring doesn't seem to really do anything except connect you to sauron and makes you invisible. Pretty lame if you ask me, Bilbo/everyone who touches it could have picked something that actually does something useful to obsess over.

To be fair, being invisible would be incredibly useful though.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like a lot of people want to know what they're going to see, partly because a) going to the cinema is an expensive hobby

What? No it isn't.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Dec 1, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

To be fair, being invisible would be incredibly useful though.

If that was all there was to it, then yeah. But having Sauron being all "i see u" and wraiths chasing you all the time is a pretty big downside.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BiggerBoat posted:

What? No it isn't.

I suppose that's pretty dependent on where you live. I sure as poo poo can't afford to go to the movies very often when you factor in transport and ticket prices and concessions if I forget to take snacks, or whatever. There's no cheap cinema around my way and no cinema at all in my town. Ugh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81SBLSdiAY
Dutch subtitles for some reason (it's in Polish) but it doesn't matter. Once I watched the first half of the trailer and decided that I wanted to watch it, I no longer had use for the trailer. I did watch it and I loved it.

This one has some more narrative in the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znv9iBGX6w

I had some clever juxtaposition going but whatever, yall better watch these two movies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(accident)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HopperUK posted:

I suppose that's pretty dependent on where you live. I sure as poo poo can't afford to go to the movies very often when you factor in transport and ticket prices and concessions if I forget to take snacks, or whatever. There's no cheap cinema around my way and no cinema at all in my town. Ugh.

I found your problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Check if your local theater has discount showings. Ours are 5 or 6$ for the first showtime of the day but then jump to 8 and then a further jump at some arbitrary time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They have to give you at least a taste of why the things are happening and more importantly why it's interesting enough to want to see. Like on the face of it people being terrified that mechalondon is coming sounds extremely stupid to me. I watch a lot of bad movies but there has to be a hook in the stupidity. This movie doesn't seem to have one.

Explaining things is for squares.

A good trailer conveys mood and maybe general premise at most. A bad trailer just recaps the film

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Dec 1, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

A good trailer conveys mood and maybe general premise at most. A bad trailer just recaps the film

:hai:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Personally I'm hoping the teasers and trailers for the next Infinity War movie are just black screens and a scroll of the release date with some sad music going along with it.

Imagine going into that movie completely blind to whatever happens and just being like :stonk: at the screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean what could possibly happen if they already have Spiderman 2, Black Panther 2, a Scarlet Witch show and a Loki show already in production? Maybe Captain America dies but that's about it IMO.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean what could possibly happen if they already have Spiderman 2, Black Panther 2, a Scarlet Witch show and a Loki show already in production? Maybe Captain America dies but that's about it IMO.

Those are just other multiverses.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mu Zeta posted:

I was super hoping that marvel would announce "surprise, we're cancelling those films (they were never actually in production to start with)"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Personally I'm hoping the teasers and trailers for the next Infinity War movie are just black screens and a scroll of the release date with some sad music going along with it.

Imagine going into that movie completely blind to whatever happens and just being like :stonk: at the screen.

pro tip: dont watch trailers or movies about superheroes

(possible suggestion) = idgaf, you can suggest it to my knee

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I suggested somewhere else, 2 minutes of Thanos tending to his little farm

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

It was less about "how we got here" than "these people used to live normal lives but now they are in this dystopia; look at how much it sucks for them." Oh, you were a lady doctor? Great. Now you make food. That's it. You were a university profession but you also gave birth to a baby? Well, now you are a gently caress factory to the highest bidder. You were a manager at a Cosco but you are a young dude and are appear to be very loyal to the cause? Great, here's an assigned wife and a title, now go spy on people for us.
The same people exist before the change and after. It didn't happen decades ago or centuries ago; it happened yesterday.
Some of the Commander's were good men who believed in equality and freedom before Gilead. Now they revel in their privilege and belittle their wives and servants.

Oh that stuff was great, yeah. I was thinking of the epilogue, where future historians find Offred 's diary and we get a huge infodump of how Gilead formed and the politics of the USA and how the new Post Gilead Republic is so much better and eurgggh.

The show is more explicitly about the formation of Gilead though, isn't it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

My prediction is everyone comes back to life but Steve decides to retire and passes the mantle to either Bucky or Sam.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My IIMM about superhero movies is when they refer to them by their first name. I am terrible at remembering names (and things, in general), so despite having seen all those movies multiple times, I don't really know who Bucky or Sam are, and I only know Steve because I've seen it so much and gone and looked it up enough to make it stick. I'm more on the "the guy with the gun" level.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My IIMM about superhero movies is when they refer to them by their first name. I am terrible at remembering names (and things, in general), so despite having seen all those movies multiple times, I don't really know who Bucky or Sam are, and I only know Steve because I've seen it so much and gone and looked it up enough to make it stick. I'm more on the "the guy with the gun" level.

but they dont constantly call them "alien"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

It's also that a lot of them have good reasons for the hero names, so not using them is disrespectful to their wish for anonymity. Certainly Thor doesn't hide himself among people and at least Iron Man and Captain America have been public for years, but the Hulk is definitively not Bruce Banner and takes offense to the conflation, Black Widow prefers the code name for espionage reasons but also most reminders of her actual identity are painful due to having a lovely childhood, and Spiderman has traditionally been anonymous for reasons of security (but I haven't seen the latest post-Black Panther movies so don't know if he comes out during them)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The trailer for Mortal Engine is incoherent and I think that's a "thing" now since I felt the same way after seeing Artemis Fowl. They should at least give a hint as to what the gently caress is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlBep9uFjI

I didn't catch that it was a teaser trailer at first so I was mostly annoyed by the fact that they didn't show a single fairy or even Foaly at the least. Really would've liked to know how they decided to interpret them from the books. Anyway, hope it sticks to the books somewhat and doesn't poo poo the bed like Eragon or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In this thread or another, I've mentioned the Star Wars films since the prequels (maybe even the OT, too) have been sort of threadbare on what the plot of the film will be. There's just enough to know a little of what to expect, but there's not been a lot of stuff that really reveals major spoilers.

The Last Jedi's trailers did nothing to even really HINT at the level of comedy they threw in that movie from what I recall. At least the Marvel movies, even the more serious ones, have a joke or two in the trailer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wish I could remember what film it was for, but I once saw a trailer for some 70s film, and over the course of the 2 mins, it told you everything that was going to happen in the film.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Spider-Man 2 could star Miles Morales. Black Panther 2 could star Shuri.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

What? No it isn't.

Admittedly I am a bit of a cheapskate.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't catch that it was a teaser trailer at first so I was mostly annoyed by the fact that they didn't show a single fairy or even Foaly at the least. Really would've liked to know how they decided to interpret them from the books. Anyway, hope it sticks to the books somewhat and doesn't poo poo the bed like Eragon or something.

Considering they turned the 'nut brown skin' Holly into a white passing, extremely generic not-white woman, and Artemis into a happy go lucky, sweet endearing child, you're probably going to get a few ear prosthetics or wacky cgi. I'm disappointed. I loved those books as a kid because Artemis was a complete dick who eventually became a semi-complete dick. Character Growth!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

value-brand cereal posted:

Considering they turned the 'nut brown skin' Holly into a white passing, extremely generic not-white woman, and Artemis into a happy go lucky, sweet endearing child, you're probably going to get a few ear prosthetics or wacky cgi. I'm disappointed. I loved those books as a kid because Artemis was a complete dick who eventually became a semi-complete dick. Character Growth!

Is there a second trailer? I've only seen a teaser and Artemis never talks in it?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

value-brand cereal posted:

This, plus I feel like they should have cast an adult for Holly, rather than a fourteen year old. There are a lot of really weird decisions that have me super pessimistic about how this is going to turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Spider-Man 2 could star Miles Morales. Black Panther 2 could star Shuri.

That would be Ultimate Spider-Man for Miles, and Shuri isn't going to get the mantle of BP. Even if it were possible, weren't all the flowers burned?