Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build Divers had some good kits for sure, but it also complete ignored what kind of show it was supposed to be; Only about a third of the cast got mid-season upgrades. And even then there's at least one or two that still haven't gotten a kit.

I never caught the shows, but that's some seriously poor planning. Those main kits should be like Barbatos in IBO where they receive near constant upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
G Reco movie is going to be paced as well as F91

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's happening with the IBO follow up anyway?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I hope it also has the copyright-infringing lift offs of the Star Wars original score.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

I never caught the shows, but that's some seriously poor planning. Those main kits should be like Barbatos in IBO where they receive near constant upgrades.
I liked that little detail from IBO because, no matter if they were backed by Teiwaz and got proper tune-ups or not, at the end of the day, their main mechanics were:
  • Used to work with Mobile Workers
  • Forced to improvise when it came to getting stuff that worked and "stayed" there, especially given how brutal both the fights in general and Mika/Aki were.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

I liked that little detail from IBO because, no matter if they were backed by Teiwaz and got proper tune-ups or not, at the end of the day, their main mechanics were:
  • Used to work with Mobile Workers
  • Forced to improvise when it came to getting stuff that worked and "stayed" there, especially given how brutal both the fights in general and Mika/Aki were.

Also most of the upgrades in the first season came from looting Mika's latest pile of crushed scrap metal.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's happening with the IBO follow up anyway?

It never existed anywhere outside of speculation and it hasn't moved on from there.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RillAkBea posted:

It never existed anywhere outside of speculation and it hasn't moved on from there.

Well the official twitter account was posting some rather suggestive pictures.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Monaghan posted:

Only thing I’m really looking forward too is he Hathaway’s flash movies

Me too. I hope they keep Mufti's theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCBMar9GE5c

Spelling Mitsake posted:

As one of the rare F91-likers, I'd be okay with a badly-paced movie full of gorgeous animations and interesting unrealized potential.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope the G-Reco movie leads to some master grades of the mechs, I really like the G-Self's design.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also most of the upgrades in the first season came from looting Mika's latest pile of crushed scrap metal.
Don't remember where I read it, but I'm partially inclined to the term "Mikazuki'd" to better explain whatever's left from Tekkadan's adversaries. :mmmhmm:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
They're still going to forget the G-Arcane transforms

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

They're still going to forget the G-Arcane transforms

They remembered it in the Unicorn crossover short!

...And nowhere else. Tomino was even asked about it in an interview.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I can’t even comprehend a version of G-Reco cut down to movie form. It’s going be like watching a fever dream.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

They remembered it in the Unicorn crossover short!

...And nowhere else. Tomino was even asked about it in an interview.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

So Gundam NT... is it in theaters on Friday (in Japan) or streaming online / vod?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dead Like Rev posted:

So Gundam NT... is it in theaters on Friday (in Japan) or streaming online / vod?

NT is in theaters today, but they're gonna put the first 20 minutes online.

I'm going to see it tomorrow! I'm looking forward to being real angry about it :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The official website for Hathaway's Flash is up, though completely empty.

http://gundam-hathaway.net

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

The official website for Hathaway's Flash is up, though completely empty.

http://gundam-hathaway.net

NEXT WINTER. gently caress. Bad enough i gotta wait a few more months for NT. Was hoping it would be on VOD or some crap and id be able to spring for it off some how, hell if gundaminfo is playing the first 20 minutes an english sub is done you'd think.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
That was ok for a 20 minutes screener. Some hero with a camcorder will do me justice because I ain't waiting 6 loving months.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Ka0 posted:

That was ok for a 20 minutes screener. Some hero with a camcorder will do me justice because I ain't waiting 6 loving months.

It's such a tease, i want more.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The NT clip on Gundaminfo is... a thing. it’s only a 2 hour movie right? Zeons still on their bullshit I see

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I feel like my main feeling compelling me to watch NT is confusion, like did Neo Zeon make a new Sinanju, but styled it on how the original was when they stole it? and somehow also made a second Neo Zeong?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

"Oh by the way there was a second Sinanju they also stole" was dumb enough, but really, "oh and also we built a second Neo Zeong?"

I was able to stomach most of Unicorn's weird plot ideas, but this is stretching things a bit further.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Sinanju Stein is the original machine developed by Anaheim. Full Frontal stole it while it was being transferred offsite and then the sleeves reverse engineered it to make the Sinanju. Apparently they kept the original stein prototype around

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Sinanju Stein is the original machine developed by Anaheim. Full Frontal stole it while it was being transferred offsite and then the sleeves reverse engineered it to make the Sinanju. Apparently they kept the original stein prototype around

Well duh, it's Gundam after all. The prototype's always more powerful than the production model! :pseudo:.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
That was awesome.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I actually ended up being able to go see it Narrative today.

My one sentence review: Entirely enjoyable and in no way a masterpiece.

Overall I felt it served adequately as a bookend to the pre-existing bookend to the pre-pre-existing bookend to the first 100 years of the Universal Century. It has a story to tell and it does it more than adequately, and that's all that it does. The crux of it is newtype guffery at its guffiest (if Unicorn was turning it up to 11, NT just kept twisting the knob until it broke off) but unlike Unicorn it doesn't go out of its way to hypothesize on what it is or what it means for humanity. The biggest downfall I would say is its characters, there's ample characterization for everyone you'd care to remember the name of but the movie by and large forgets the humanization that makes Gundam series what they are. The most human characters in the entire movie are Shezarr team. (Which is fine by me because Shezarr team are great and needed more screen time). At only 90 minutes it's not like the movie is outstaying it's welcome, I think with an extra 10 minutes for a little downtime and some incidental scenes you could fix most of the problems I had with it.

And now for all of you who cannot wait/don't care to watch it and just want the facts...

:siren: BIG FAT SPOILERY SYNOPSIS :siren:

Really now, don't read this unless you really want to, this is full spoilers, no beating around the bush.

It was Banagher in the Phenex :v:

Not really though. In chronological order for the purpose of making sense: Jonah, Michelle and Rita are all childhood friends in 0079 (and they're all bloody aussies! :australia:) Rita is a super powerful newtype somehow though and predicts the first colony drop, and through newtype hand holding magic she shows Jonah and Michelle her vision. All three tell the townsfolk about Rita's vision, somehow they believe the kids and the town is mostly evacuated in time saving everybody except the kids parents because convenience of storytelling. After the colony drops and Rita's vision came true the three kids become known as the miracle children and are later picked up by the Titans and put into their cyber-newtype research program. However of course Rita is the only one with any natural newtype ability. Later, after the Psycho Gundam incident the cyber-newtype program risks having its plug pulled so the lab plans to pick out the true newtypes for their test subjects and liquidate the rest of their stock. Overhearing this Michelle tries to make a plan with Jonah to tell the higher ups the truth about the miracle children (that there was only one), handing over Rita in exchange for their own lives. Then Michelle goes ahead and confesses to the program leaders alone. Michelle goes back to live with her relatives at the Luio Trading Company, Jonah is spared from becoming dog food and Rita is put up for intensive training.

Now in 0097, the Luio Trading Company (now mostly represented by Michelle and her discount bishounen sidekick) is now Vist Foundation level powerful and is investigating the Unicorn incident. After freeing Martha Vist Carbine from custody and getting her full account of events, Michelle reveals that the mobile suit deactivating shock-waves from the Unicorn in the final battle actually somehow disassembled minovsky generators restoring them to almost pre-factory conditions. Conclusion: The Unicorn series may actually be able to manipulate time and could possible even be used to grant de-facto immortality, and on a personal note revive Michelle's frozen dad. Problem: There's only one known Unicorn left, it's that Phenex that ran away and has been showing up randomly. (Also it may be piloted by the ghost of her childhood best friend who she betrayed) Thus begins a collaborative effort between the EFSF and the Luio Trading Company to catch the pigeon Phenex. The first attempt fails after Jonah gets cold feet when he hears Rita's voice. In order to coax out the Phenex again, Michelle orchestrates a fake Phenex finding to lure the EFSF and the Sleeves to an inhabited colony in the hope that a big space fight will force the Phenex to appear. The Sleeves at this point though are a single ship of wackos constantly hauling around 2nd Neo Zeong because they have nowhere to put it. They are seemingly funded by a sympathetic minister in the new Republic of Zeon, led by Minerva Zabi who appears to be doing her level best to make a democratic Zeon in line with Zeon Zum Deikun's visions rather than her own family's. King of the wackos though is Zoltan, one of the failures of the Char recreation project that supposedly succeeded with Full Frontal. Despite being told to keep casualties to a minimum for politics sake, Zoltan goes ahead and starts shooting the place up as soon as he sees Jonah's Narrative Gundam. As Michelle predicted the Phenex showed up and is captured relatively easily as Rita can't unleash the Phenex's full power as not to harm civilians. The Narrative's NT-D gets activated though and it links with 2nd Neo Zeong but just before Narrative fully assimilates it, the Phenex is freed just in time for Rita to calm Jonah's anger allowing him both Jonah and the Phenex to escape. After the colony debacle, the Sleeves are to be liquidated and all non-necessary personnel eliminated but Zoltan overhears the transmission, kills his subordinates and goes rogue in the 2nd Neo Zeong. This is pretty much the final battle but its cut with so many flashbacks that it takes up most of the second half of the movie. Highlights include: Now the psycho-shard acts as full magic space telekenesis. The 2nd Neo Zeong can control other mobile suits by wire. Michelle scatters psycho frame bits allowing Narrative and Phenex to combine their psycho frame powers. Michelle gets redemption by suicide (discount bishie goes with her). Banagher shows up and snipes the Neo Zeongs arms. Yes, Banagher, he's part of Minerva's secret black ops team with Zimmerman somehow for some reason. The Narrative Gundam is destroyed and Jonah takes control of the (empty, Rita got Blue Destiny'd!) Phenex and uses psycho-shock/literal wings of light to envelop the 2nd Neo Zeong before it can set off a chain reaction that would send colony sized debris towards Earth. Then Banagher saves Jonah from floating in space.

Jonah breaks down and tells Banagher that now both Rita and Michelle are definitely dead, he has nothing to live for. Then the Phenex goes shooting through the sky and gives Jonah hope.

Now all throughout the second half of the movie, I was thinking that the 2nd Neo Zeong was way too ridiculously powerful. We don't see anything like it in later UC titles so what the heck is up with that? Turns out, that was the actual point of the movie that they don't reveal to you until the final minute and is cleared up in a single comment by Minerva.

"Oh, boy psycho frames sure are ridiculously destructive, we should probably erase them from history" :v:
And lo the canon was restored ROLL CREDITS!

In the post-credits was a very brief teaser for Hathaway's Flash.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To hell with Newtypes, all of this new stuff takes their bullshit to ridiculous...er levels, and I'm just worn out by it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm not reading the spoilers but glad it's enjoyable. The 20 minute preview I saw seemed good and I hope it avoids some of unicorns flaws. then again, not having Banagher in it is only a net positive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now this is a specific sounding question: what is the scope of the film like? One of the big issues I have with post-secondary "main story" Gundam titles is that the scale of the conflicts they portray feel incongruent with the stakes of the narrative. For all of Unicorn's sermonizing about the fate of humanity resting on the recovery of the box, the actual engagements in the conflict barely feel like a blip compared to OYW or Gryps. It's a series of protracted skirmishes against highly specific force compositions who are explicitly acting on their own volition most of the time rather than as true blue feddies or politically recognized zekes.

OYW stories manage to avoid this by setting their plots against the backdrop of an ongoing war with references to other battles still being waged. Zeta did something similar by fleshing out the political angle of the civil war by showing the distinction between AEUG, Titans, the Federation and Karaba, so while the show follows the main AEUG taskforce it's evident they're not entirely alone in the fight.

Hell, even Stardust Memory managed to convey the stakes of the conflict better. Delaz had easily the largest zeon remnant fleet seen, and nuking Solomon put a massive dent in the federation fleet. Even then with both sides at parity operation Stardust made the sleeves/argama fight look like a sideshow.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fukuda has come out in the news with some pretty damning criticisms of Sunrise.

quote:

Director and storyboard artist Mitsuo Fukuda appears to have reached the end of his patience with animation production company Sunrise. Fukuda took to Twitter on Wednesday to vent his frustrations over the current work schedule of a female production assistant with the company, one that includes very long days and next to no sleep. According to Fukuda's tweet, she has worked 59 hours in four days and that schedule isn't out of the norm. He says this has been ongoing for the last month.

Fukuda's wrote that the assistant began her work week on Monday at 10:30 a.m. and did not return home until Tuesday at 6:00 a.m. She then slept until about noon before returning to work again until 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday. She was then able to sleep approximately four hours before she had to return to work again at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday and did not return home again until 11:00 a.m. on Thursday. She said she'd leave a note for herself to wake up after only an hour of rest.

In a follow-up tweet, Fukuda wrote that at the rate the schedule is going, it won't be long before the assistant falls victim to some kind of accident. He went on to say that he used to be able to work under this kind of schedule in the past but now he feels it has to change, even if it's dangerous for him to talk about it.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-4-days/.140134

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Fukuda has come out in the news with some pretty damning criticisms of Sunrise.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-4-days/.140134

The Japanese work schedule is insane, even more so for people working in the anime industry. Good on him for speaking out about this bullshit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRp_OoOn2LM

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Honestly that plot summary sounds pretty decent to me, an unneeded story but nothing offensive and even trying to tie-down the general Pre F91 UC powercreep a bit again.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Isn’t it the same excuse for why the GP-01 and whatnot from 0083 were so much crazier than the stuff later on in Zeta?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ManSedan posted:

Isn’t it the same excuse for why the GP-01 and whatnot from 0083 were so much crazier than the stuff later on in Zeta?

Similar. The 0083 excuse was "We don't want any public information getting out about this whole mess so we're going to erase the Gundam Project from official history so nobody asks awkward questions about why we built a mobile suit with a tactical nuke or multiple sister units designed to support it".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Anaheim BAD :slaps MS hands:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Anaheim BAD :slaps MS hands:

To be fair, how lovely Aneheim is and how they keep getting away with it is very realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RillAkBea posted:

Overall I felt it served adequately as a bookend to the pre-existing bookend to the pre-pre-existing bookend to the first 100 years of the Universal Century.

I don't really get why people think Char's Counterattack is any kind of bookend to early UC. It has nothing to say about most of the stuff raised in 0079, Zeta or ZZ; it's just an (in my opinion, unnecessary) resolution to Amuro and Char's story and not the story of UC up to that point. It doesn't say anything about Newtypes, Zeon or even about Contolism/Ereism despite it being part of Char's motive and which are the biggest points in UC outside those particular characters up to that point. I've always kind of liked Unicorn because it tried to say something about some of those; even if it didn't do a great job.

RillAkBea posted:

Now all throughout the second half of the movie, I was thinking that the 2nd Neo Zeong was way too ridiculously powerful. We don't see anything like it in later UC titles so what the heck is up with that? Turns out, that was the actual point of the movie that they don't reveal to you until the final minute and is cleared up in a single comment by Minerva.

"Oh, boy psycho frames sure are ridiculously destructive, we should probably erase them from history" :v:
And lo the canon was restored ROLL CREDITS!

Honestly, I'd say this has been a problem since Char's Counterattack; because Char's Counterattack introduced the concept of psycoframes and how they can produce literal miracles in the first place. The problem has certainly grown and become more obvious since then with Unicorn and now Narrative, but it was a problem that Gundam just swept under the rug and pretended didn't exist all along so that being the official tack isn't really surprising.

Shinjobi posted:

To hell with Newtypes, all of this new stuff takes their bullshit to ridiculous...er levels, and I'm just worn out by it.

As opposed to the old stuff? Where Kamille could use the souls of the dead to power up his mobile suit and make it literally invincible before holding enemy suits in place to ensure they couldn't escape? Or push asteroids out of their orbit? Even in 0079 Amuro could "talk to dead" using it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

OYW stories manage to avoid this by setting their plots against the backdrop of an ongoing war with references to other battles still being waged. Zeta did something similar by fleshing out the political angle of the civil war by showing the distinction between AEUG, Titans, the Federation and Karaba, so while the show follows the main AEUG taskforce it's evident they're not entirely alone in the fight.

I'm not really sure I agree with Zeta, because while I haven't seen it in years at this point my recollection is that it mostly felt like there was maybe a dozen ships on both sides constantly plugging away at each other and the whole thing felt very small and confined. I don't recall ever feeling like what we see is just one front in a multi-faceted conflict in the same way that it was obvious the White Base was only ever one part of a much larger war.

MonsieurChoc posted:

To be fair, how lovely Aneheim is and how they keep getting away with it is very realistic.

I'm going to go against type and say that I don't even think Anaheim is all that lovely; especially in Zeta and ZZ. They're actually kind of heroic there, at least compared to the Federation; who are depicted as selfish, squabbling assholes who'd rather gently caress over their constituents or ignore problems for an easy life than actually fight the likes of the Titans or Neo Zeon. AE are by no means perfect, but we know they fund AEUG and are actively against some outright awful folks and that alone makes them angels in comparison. The characters from the Le Vie En Rose in ZZ are pretty good folks too.

What mostly kind of ticks me off is that in Zeta and ZZ they really only supply mobile suits to the AEUG (outside fluff anyway), and they don't start double dealing till Char's Counterattack but that's all anyone ever seems to associate them with or even do with them anymore. They're arms manufacturers; therefor "evil". Which is just loving boring. Anaheim funding AEUG as almost a private army and security service that they were somewhat forcing to do their bidding through Wong in Zeta was much more interesting while still implying that they had some shadiness about them.

Discussion often paints them as the real evil in UC too, though that's more of an /m/ thing I'll admit. People who act like AE are the real evil and without them supplying weapons there'd be no wars; ignoring that Side 3 literally invented an entirely new weapons platform to execute a war against the Federation and then turned living spaces in to megabombs to boot. Something Japanese authors appear to subscribe to, at least a little, to say that something along these lines is now an ongoing story in Thunderbolt; with one sect seeking to rid the Earthsphere of the true evil in AE.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 1, 2018