Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I was talking to my mother the other day on Skype. I was standing in a big parking lot at the time, and when I explained where I was she asked if there's any Toyotas around, as my parents have just purchased some new Toyota hybrid thingy and they were interested in seeing if I had seen any of that model around. I look around and point my camera towards a nearby Tacoma. "Well, not a lot of Toyotas around, but there's this. Some pickup truck, I think it's a Tacoma."

Mom: "Oh, it's one of those Taliban cars!"

:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bumper boats in the Sea of Azov yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxiAP5BMiNw

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Does anyone have a link to the gopro video of the Troop on a hillside in Afghanistan getting pot shotted at with literally zero cover while he bumbles trying to change a magazine or do just about anything properly?

lol I found it: this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bip Roberts posted:

Does anyone have a link to the gopro video of the Troop on a hillside in Afghanistan getting pot shotted at with literally zero cover while he bumbles trying to change a magazine or do just about anything properly?

:stare: Why. Why did he do that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bip Roberts posted:

He got an award for this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

It's like when you're playing Rising Storm and suddenly realize you went the wrong way into the enemy's offensive and the only thing you can do is drop prone in the open and pray that you finish shooting everyone before they see you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

He got an award for this

Purple Hearts don't count :v:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

CommieGIR posted:

I think the story was that he decided he was a hero and was trying to get to someone who was separated and pinned down but really just made it so that the rest of his unit had to rescue two guys instead of one

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, that looked like he made a dash for a medal and ate poo poo.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Cameras make people do stupid poo poo

e: Joes Gone Wild

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CommieGIR posted:

Explanation one:

I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety

Explanation two:

GoPro

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Explanation two:

GoPro

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

:laffo:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Literally an Ork weapon from Warhammer 40k

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The tank hammer!

e: nope, won't embed

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

What scares me most is not the thought process that lead to the design, but the fact that the handle is welded on. Poorly.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Anyone who got enough heat penetration for a good weld is already dead.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1068621308727099393

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm always amazed how they fnd ammo for the stg 44

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

IIRC the Serbians (PPU) still make new ammo for it and the East Germans (and maybe other Bloc countries) did post WWII.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

If you look at the twitter thread of that tweet they say that Yemen has a big gun culture so they probably just handload. Also the Soviets dumped a ton of those guns in the middle east as military aid so there might be a ton of ammo left that came with them in the first place.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lebanon and Syria in particular used the StG44 forever in reserve service.

It's gets even weirder than that though. In certain areas of Pakistan the 8mm Kurtz was popular as a conversion caliber for AKs, 7.62x39 being proscribed. They call it 44 bore, or did, until the practice was banned in 2012.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:stare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If he didn't poo poo his pants we all owe him a beer :stare:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

If he didn't poo poo his pants we all owe him a beer :stare:

The nice thing about the rocket chair is that you really have to want to poo poo your pants to overcome the force of the rockets up your rear end.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Here's video. Landed hard due to too steep a descent, resulting in tailstrike and buckled landing gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aydbBl6_W0

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
From youtube comments, no clue of veracity.

quote:

To put the debate to rest: My father has just retired from the RAF after 30 years as an engineer. He was a Harrier engineer. He has detailed knowledge of this particular incident. This aircraft was a Harrier GR9 of 1(f) Squadron Royal Air Force. After an uneventful two aircraft sortie their landing back at Kandahar, Afghanistan was held off by ten minutes due to a busy circuit. When cleared to land ATC requested an expedite landing and runway clearance due to heavy traffic. The wingman landed first due to low fuel but received a hostile missile alert and released flares. ZG478's turn onto finals was too short and 6,500ft higher than normal. Throughout the approach the rate of descent was too high and 'Hover Stop' was selected in an attempt to correct this. At 180ft full power was selected but the tail struck the ground 30ft from the threshold. The outriggers and main undercarriage collapsed as did the nose wheel when the aircraft pitched forward. The under wing stores (bombs, rockets, recce pod, targeting pod and drop tanks) caught fire as it slid along the runway for 4,000ft. During the slide the pilot turned the aircraft away from a formation of four aircraft waiting to take off then ejected when it came to a stand. The fire spread to engulf the whole aircraft at which point the pilot ejected. The pilot was commended for staying with his aircraft in order to guide it away from other aircraft on the ground.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That checks with what we always heard, plus some extra details (external stores).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That guy gets going really fast, really drat fast!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

This is more “combat audio” than camera but holy loving poo poo. It’s a surprisingly high quality audio tape of a firefight in some random village during the Vietnam War.

https://soundcloud.com/magneticart/firefight-no-name-village

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I was talking to my mother the other day on Skype. I was standing in a big parking lot at the time, and when I explained where I was she asked if there's any Toyotas around, as my parents have just purchased some new Toyota hybrid thingy and they were interested in seeing if I had seen any of that model around. I look around and point my camera towards a nearby Tacoma. "Well, not a lot of Toyotas around, but there's this. Some pickup truck, I think it's a Tacoma."

Mom: "Oh, it's one of those Taliban cars!"

:roflolmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qQcRoS0rg

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Space Jam posted:

This is more “combat audio” than camera but holy loving poo poo. It’s a surprisingly high quality audio tape of a firefight in some random village during the Vietnam War.

https://soundcloud.com/magneticart/firefight-no-name-village

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ihI7VU2OY

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

This is cool as hell.

Crazy as hell, too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pro loving click

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 13, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?

Innocent civilians were actually popular targets for US aircrew during Vietnam and they all sleep soundly in their beds to this day.

To quote a passage of the memoirs from Major T.J. “King” Kong of the 843rd Bomb Wing, “your trolling is low effort, get the gently caress out of GIP.”

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1072936560641892356

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm guessing most of them sleep on beds with pillows. Or maybe hammocks if it's just a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They don’t dude they’re all killing themselves with alcohol like the dude I saw today wearing a Vietnam vet hat buying a gallon of Wild Turkey and a case of bud light at 0730