Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Smiling Demon posted:

I've always found power to be more an issue of max line capacity, not my ability to generate it. It's never "I want to add a thermo aquatuner, but can't afford to generate the power", but rather "I want to add a thermo aquatuner, that means a new transformer, a new power line, and all the required infrastructure." Excluding the very beginning I suppose when I still have hamster wheels running.

Oh I absolutely get this, especially when you hit the 1200w items like refineries. Every is going so well and then rip I need to double my power conversion capacity. Early on I was watching brithgar before playing a lot myself and he used a neat trick with pressure plates and batteries to isolate circuits when in use by high capacity machines, I might try that more.

EDIT: While we're on the topic I've been working on centralized gas management systems and while it's not fully fleshed out I have to say it's working pretty great. All the regular gasses in my base are directed to the right places through a centralized line and everything is based off bridges so there is a very neat and orderly priority system and small packets will be filled by other small packets as they pass by the waiting bridges. Nothing important has come close to backing up in 300+ cycles now and I'm vacuuming clear several spaces at the same time now.

Bridges, shutoff valves with sensors, and for the moment infinite storage rooms with water over vents are the keys. At some point when I have freedom to really tear it down I want to swap to gas reservoirs in big columns, but I really like the infinite storage rooms presentation element so I'm torn.

My next thing is really to see if I can combine two metal volcanos and a steam vent to make a couple steam turbines work well. I expect a lot of nonsense and failure but at least I'll figure out the steam turbine stuff along the way since I haven't messed with it at all yet and I'm pretty much set on everything else pre rocketry.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

For power I did a main power line that went through the whole base with a transformer on each floor.

If I make a future base I'm considering a 3' tall maintenance shaft between every floor just to fill with fluid/gas pipes, transformers and power cables.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
This is my second run on this seed with the single entity megabase thing so I pre-planned a bunch of stuff, but you can see I try real hard to contain all my power generation and heavy conductive wire to one very localized area, then just multiple large large transformers and conductive wire to hit all my needs. The excess SPOM power generation is used to power the exosuits and main base stuff, so it basically never has any risk of powering down and trapping my dudes behind the docks.

It's not really going to scale up to rocketry stuff but there is a NG vent up there right at the surface and I plan I'll have a big seperate entity up there for everything related to that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Edit: for Katt:

Transformers generate heat and heavy wire destroys decor ratings. I do the exact same power spine with branches thing but highly suggest putting it outside your living area. I usually isolate it behind some vacuum gapped tiles.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

bird food bathtub posted:

Transformers generate heat and heavy wire destroys decor ratings. I do the exact same power spine with branches thing but highly suggest putting it outside your living area. I usually isolate it behind some vacuum gapped tiles.

I agree with this, I recommend trying to isolate all power and heavi-watt from your dupes if you can, except the guys who might tune the generators. Decor is really the easiest way to just forget about morale problems, especially with free refined metal from a volcano.

Another couple dumb screenshots of this stuff in practice since I have the game open in this view:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 1, 2018

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Mazz I have no idea how you go from the map seed to terraforming such large parts of the map. jesus christ

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jinnigan posted:

Mazz I have no idea how you go from the map seed to terraforming such large parts of the map. jesus christ

Lots of loving up till I stop loving up basically. Once I got comfortable with my SPOM and farm designs + putting all my dupes in suits, you really hit a point where you have 100s of cycles to screw around learning/refining things. My game is currently at cycle 450 and most people are in space by now, I'm just setting up my major refinery for steel because it takes 300 turns to strip mine and then control all the random gasses in that giant area :v:. But I also get to a point where my 16 dupes have 35 morale just from waking up and I don't have to worry about food or oxygen literally ever again.

EDIT: gently caress it I've linked the rest here's water and temp for the full picture

Probably some changes coming seeing the mineral storage and my eventual power up of petro and NG there, but really just adding more winds to the pipe probably. This seed has too much easily accessible water and I don't know what to do with it all.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 1, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Yeah the power stuff is all in the workshop area and power lines only enter the living area through the floor.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

How can any of you psychopaths stand having giant tanks of mixed clean and polluted water? Were none of you held or loved as babies?!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Katt posted:

Yeah the power stuff is all in the workshop area and power lines only enter the living area through the floor.

Ah, with the rest of the picture it makes sense. Thought that was the other half of your living area.

LonsomeSon posted:

How can any of you psychopaths stand having giant tanks of mixed clean and polluted water? Were none of you held or loved as babies?!

I dunno about these weirdos with so much mixed and polluted but I do like to put a small layer of regular water on top of polluted water if I don't want it to make polluted oxygen.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
If the contents of a tank go in at different temperatures, do they output at an average temp?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ah, with the rest of the picture it makes sense. Thought that was the other half of your living area.

I dunno about these weirdos with so much mixed and polluted but I do like to put a small layer of regular water on top of polluted water if I don't want it to make polluted oxygen.

:same:

otherwise though I sperg out as much about liquid mixing as I do gasses unless it’s in areas I haven’t worked on yet. My little volcano steam chamber thing has a bunch of mixed water but I can’t touch it yet as it’s keeping the 140kg per tile steam pressure in when I go grab all the gold between eruptions.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

What do I do with all this water from 2 cool steam vents, a steam vent, and a water geyser?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Make oxygen. It’s not included.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
The (hot) steam vent is pretty much useless unfortunately. It creates so little water, I doubt it's worth the trouble.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I may just be unlucky, but cool steam vents have been pretty weak for me. Maybe I was being unrealistic, but I was hoping they’d at least be able to keep one electrolyzer going.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Cool steam vents can be weak, the output is in a wide random range. I've generally had better luck with liquid geysers. Too bad there is no guarantee you will have any.

I made a list of select seeds from the seed browser site and chose randomly from that list. It's worked fairly well so far.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I haven’t seen too many steam vents that don’t produce over 1000g at least, but they’re still super hit or miss not yeah. Especially compared to gods chosen slush geyser.

FWIW here’s the geyser calc again in case anyone didn’t know what it is

https://onical.ga

Punch in the numbers there from the tooltip after analysis and it will spit out the amount per second average, but also tell you the number of things it can run sustainably, which saves a lot of time.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 1, 2018

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
you guys are building these massive structures but what i dont understand is how you move the gasses around? especially in early game

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Learn ur gases or be an asses

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jinnigan posted:

you guys are building these massive structures but what i dont understand is how you move the gasses around? especially in early game

The basics are here:

Then it's just a matter of trapping the gasses and putting them where you want. The gas reservoirs really help with this.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jinnigan posted:

For the most part you don’t really move the gasses early you just kind of work around them and keep them isolated with gravity. All CO2 to the bottom of things, all hydrogen to the top. Deodorize all polluted oxygen by putting a deodorizer every 3-4 tiles vertically and 99.9% of it will get converted eventually since polluted oxygen doesn’t move much vertically once it’s in an oxygen medium, but will travel side to side horizontally forever. With chlorine, it’s best to just try to avoid it until you can get it to pool right above CO2, preferably away outside your base area since it’s by far the hardest gas to completely remove once it’s in since it will stick in dumb little areas on the boundary of oxygen and CO2 and doesn’t like to cooperate with pumps. If you have to open chlorine rooms to get to places, open them from above or a way that the gas traps itself. Gravity is your best friend when dealing with gas if you use it properly.

Once you get settled in with a sealed up starting base and some atmo suits, you can strip mine large areas. Once the areas are clear of material, the gasses naturally layer themselves. You need to deal with slime and polluted water if you want to completely remove polluted oxygen generators. Setting a high priority storage in water for the slime works, getting clean water on top of the polluted water also works. Then it’s just putting a pump at the bottom and filtering the gasses into seperate end points with either regular filters or element sensors + gas shutoff, preferably the latter because they they use effectively zero power vs 120W per filter. The other thing to learn is how gas bridges work to control directional flow, this is essential for basically all gas interaction though. I don’t actually trap natural hydrogen in most cases, I pop a hole in some roof areas and let it move itself out.

Not by my computer yet but once I am I can throw up some screenshots of my different methods of stuff. EDIT: I don't have any great screens that won't be as confusing as they are helpful, I'll see if I can get some soon.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 1, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I wish some gases were actually dangerous to be in, and caused health damage or some kind of illness even if holding breath.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

enraged_camel posted:

I wish some gases were actually dangerous to be in, and caused health damage or some kind of illness even if holding breath.

I kind of get why they don’t because early players having to work around health hazards from hydrogen/chlorine/etc might be a little too daunting along with everything else, but some kind of environmental hard mode could indeed own.

Fire and those risks would be an extremely cool addition too, both flammable gasses and the removal of oxygen. The fact a lot of materials have tags like combustible makes me wonder if they have any plans for that.

EDIT: The industrial wasteland is mostly complete. The piping was and hydrogen management was ...interesting. Not sure the 5 wheezes will keep up but I don't need to run all of that constantly, just in bursts. Room was really hot to begin with because of the material I needed so it's actually doing better than it looks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 1, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

enraged_camel posted:

And I was just wishing there was a way to start the game where the heat didn't build up as fast as it does. Horses for courses :).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I keep giving my dupes hypothermia in the name of getting pools of water to fill pits of 16 by 4. Or 9 by 4. When I cheat and use the debugger I don't stop cheating.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mayveena posted:

The basics are here:

Then it's just a matter of trapping the gasses and putting them where you want. The gas reservoirs really help with this.

Steam is heavier then oxygen, now? That's almost as irritating as oil being heavier than water.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Samovar posted:

Steam is heavier then oxygen, now? That's almost as irritating as oil being heavier than water.

I think oil and water are in disagreement over who is heavier.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I thought I was so clever and I’d bring oil closer to my base by dumping polluted water on it. But NOPE.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I dump all my surplus liquids into the lava layer and then pump them through filters later on when I need some.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Katt posted:

I dump all my surplus liquids into the lava layer and then pump them through filters later on when I need some.

Same but only into a jar

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there any good way to do large scale mining that doesn't involve putting out one ladder piece at a time and waiting for dupes to build it, forgetting what you were doing and coming back to it 50 cycles later after some other project?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is there any good way to do large scale mining that doesn't involve putting out one ladder piece at a time and waiting for dupes to build it, forgetting what you were doing and coming back to it 50 cycles later after some other project?

I place ladders like this and then set them to mine all the stuff between the ladders at the same time while they build the ladders.

They mined out that whole area with zero supervision and zero dupes getting stuck.

I set the height between ladders at 3 because then they can easily take down the ladders afterwards since dupes can mine/place up to 4 in height

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
What am I doing wrong with my fish feeder? Why are you such a problem, Tom Servo?

Here's my Pacu. He's been hungry for a few cycles but ignores the proffered algae. I've never ranched fish so I don't know how the process looks when it's working correctly. The feeder's loaded with algae, there's algae on the scoop, the scoop's in the water and the fish is hungry. What more is needed?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mechanical Ape posted:

What am I doing wrong with my fish feeder? Why are you such a problem, Tom Servo?

Here's my Pacu. He's been hungry for a few cycles but ignores the proffered algae. I've never ranched fish so I don't know how the process looks when it's working correctly. The feeder's loaded with algae, there's algae on the scoop, the scoop's in the water and the fish is hungry. What more is needed?

What about capturing him with a fish trap and releasing him in that pool? He's not a pet fish yet.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

Mechanical Ape posted:

I don't know what part of the feeder is supposed to actually be used by the fish, but you could try putting the feeder lower in the water as I don't think it can be flooded. Also that's a pretty small tank for what's going to be an explosive growth in numbers of fish.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wild rear end guess, do they need to be in a ranch room to count?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Nope. Pacu want 8 tiles of liquid each to be happy. They can be picky about water levels with respect to the feeder though. Newly grown pacu may not be hungry. Note that even tame pacu do not starve when unfed - they are born with enough kcal to survive their full 25 cycle lifespan.

There is a trick if you want to be abusive to the pacu as well. You can set a limit on the feeder to 1kg. If they eat anything from the feeder, even well short of the daily 140kg, they get the "ate from feeder" buff. They will become glum after a while, but a tame pacu fed this way will produce 4 eggs over its lifespan for only 25kg of algae (only 3 eggs if they start wild).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Nah it's supposed to just require feeding AFAIK. I don't see anything wrong either.

I'd agree dropping the tile row down one so the feeder is closer is one place to start, then trapping it and dropping it back in as mentioned too.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Thanks everyone, I'm gonna experiment.