Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sell the other [non-miata] car, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I wish I lived somewhere that had great weather year-round where I could just have a Miata (or motorcycle) and no other "practical" (:jerkbag:) vehicle. :sigh:

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

That car probably also needs a timing belt. None of those things you mentioned maintenance wise are expensive. But the top and good coils (not what he has, IMO) are $$$. If you really wanted those particular mods then buy it and sell yours.

Really, just buy the top off him and fix yours with better wheels and coilovers. :v: Unless yours has other totally hosed issues (paint, etc).

Phone posted:

the fact that he's listing $200 tires that are halfway through their usable lifecycle as a "1000 value", the harnesses with OEM seats, zero shots of the engine bay, plus all of the timing belt and general maintenance that will have to be inevitably done... with a price tag of $5600?

that's a $3500 car, maybe $4k

Upgrades:
Factory Mazda Hard Top with defrost fine, this is worth ~$800ish
Factory Mazda LSD fine, but did this car come with an open diff?
Perfect condition Avanti Storm S1 15x7 wheels ok, it's $120 a pop wheels...
Less than 4.5k miles on BF Goodrich g-Force Rivals - +$1K value lol
Tien Coilovers garbage
Momo Racing Steering wheel w/ NRG quick release hub and horn fine, but no SRS on the street...
Hard Dog Double Diag "Fat Boy" roll bar with optional harness bar and padding fine, i don't know if this is club approved
Stainless steel brake lines (Extra grippy high-temp ceramic pads) CERAMIC PADS
Flyin Miata peddle extensions for heel & toe shifting whatever
Short Ram intake guaranteed to not be the tuned length/completely worthless without a standalone
Race Quip racing seat belts implementation is :chef:
Tinted Windows fine

You'll both be delighted to hear that I bought the car. Although I was able to talk the PO down a fair bit, I will still concede that I not a smart man. I now own two Miatas of questionable condition. Nothing like diving in head first right? Welcome to this train wreck. I'm having a blast with these cars while trying to absorb as much information on miata.net about them as possible. I haven't had time to really scrutinize the car very well, as far as I can tell though the car is straight other than needing the fluids changed and CAS O-ring replaced. We'll see how deep the hole I've dug is once my fluids come in.

Now I've gotta figure out what to do with the other Miata in my driveway. All the necessary maintenance items come out to ~$600 on Moss Miata. I'm sure I could get the cost lower if I shopped around. Still not sure it's worth all the effort to make selling the car easier. I should probably just re-list the car as is.

Here's an engine shot:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that radiator is a ticking timebomb

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nice hot air intake

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Paint the intake black so at least it looks okay. At best it's not hurting power, but it looks really bad with the rest of the engine bay. (Or find a stock one from a junkyard, depending on the junkyards inventory in your area)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
In all seriousness do not use race harnesses with OEM seats in a Miata. The straps will not stay on your shoulders properly. Use the 3 points until you have at least a race seat and HANS.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

I really miss my Miata. Going to look at this tomorrow: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/1993-mazda-miata-mx-5-97k/6754846183.html

It'd be kind of stupid for me to have a second car right now, though. I only drive about 4 times a week and I don't really have room in my current apartment to store the hard top once the weather gets nice.

gooninawell.txt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will running 18s on my '06 NC be doable? The ms6 is making a rear end clunk and I I dont want to dip into the house money so soon. So the solution is to snap the NC interior back together and toss the winters on it for a few weeks. Just until I can stack some more OT.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

gooninawell.txt

So it wasn't just me thinking that.

Goon 1: Hey guise! I think this car is neat, should I buy?

Goon 2: No, it's too much

Goon 3: Well thought out post with reasons why it's too much and things to fix and reasons to stay away

Goon 1: Hey guise! I bought this car despite all advice saying I should pass on it! I will now proceed to spend the car's value fixing all the issues and come here and cry about it.

SA: :ughh:

E: the above post applies to me as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Diametunim posted:

You'll both be delighted to hear that I bought the car.

Grats? Not sure where you're at but I've always found this time of year awful to sell cars unless it's a winter beater. I wouldn't drop $600 on a car I intended on selling, though.

Rhyno posted:

Will running 18s on my '06 NC be doable?

Nice :effort: post. Yes, 18s will fit I'm sure but you haven't listed actual tire size, wheel offset or anything. Are you planning to swap the wheels from the MS6 to it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Possibly. Depends on what the problem with the ms6 is. I dont want to drop money on fixing a car this month so a wheel swap is my best bet.
215/45-18 on the wheels I'd be swapping on. 18x7 +55 offset

Edit: Offset and bolt pattern is the same. Guess I'll find out if I rub too bad!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 26, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

So it wasn't just me thinking that.

Goon 1: Hey guise! I think this car is neat, should I buy?

Goon 2: No, it's too much

Goon 3: Well thought out post with reasons why it's too much and things to fix and reasons to stay away

Goon 1: Hey guise! I bought this car despite all advice saying I should pass on it! I will now proceed to spend the car's value fixing all the issues and come here and cry about it.

SA: :ughh:

E: the above post applies to me as well.

lmao this is why

blk posted:

I could disable the passenger airbag and put my kid up front while he's still rear-facing (another 2-3 years). Jury's still out how safe it'd be once he's forward facing/in a booster, I need to do more research. If he'd be safe enough, I could renounce women altogether, sell the Saabaru and make the NC2 my only vehicle, practicality be damned.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Phone posted:

that radiator is a ticking timebomb
So I've read. I'll make sure to watch for cracks. If it goes, it goes. I understand the AEM intake isn't really doing anything for the car but is it worth swapping intakes between the cars? the other 99 in my driveway has the stock intake on it.

Suburban Dad posted:

Grats? Not sure where you're at but I've always found this time of year awful to sell cars unless it's a winter beater. I wouldn't drop $600 on a car I intended on selling, though.
Texas. No real winter here thankfully.

FatCow posted:

In all seriousness do not use race harnesses with OEM seats in a Miata. The straps will not stay on your shoulders properly. Use the 3 points until you have at least a race seat and HANS.

No worries, I know the current setup isn't safe so I'm using the 3 points. The PO did provide me with a Planted seat bracket that was in the car at some point.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 28, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Diametunim posted:

So I've read. I'll make sure to watch for cracks. If it goes, it goes. I understand the AEM intake isn't really doing anything for the car but is it worth swapping intakes between the cars? the other 99 in my driveway has the stock intake on it.

The one you have will just make more noise and bring in hotter air.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What do I say to the mechanics who put in new brake pads and rotors in April 2017 and fails me for inspection November 2018 because of rusted rear rotors

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ethanol posted:

What do I say to the mechanics who put in new brake pads and rotors in April 2017 and fails me for inspection November 2018 because of rusted rear rotors

"You have to manually adjust the rear brakes in a Miata, you dickheads."

I'm assuming your handbrake doesn't work either? If it does, go do a few hard stops to clean the rust off.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The hand brake works...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ethanol posted:

The hand brake works...

In that case I'm over my head without seeing your car. I know from experience that many generic shops don't use the adjuster in the rear brakes because it's well hidden, but that should lead to the handbrake pulling all the way to the stop and barely engaging.

If all else fails you could probably drive 20 feet with the handbrake on to scrape the rust off the rotors and pass inspection, but that won't fix the problem of only your front brakes doing any work during regular driving.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So basically I’m out the cost of the brakes and I need to either do the brakes myself or find the only good mechanic in my state (none)

They want to just slap on new rotors and of course those will just rust too

I mean I’ll try to engage the parking brake and scrap it off first

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Paint the rusty rotor silver, problem solved.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 4, 2020

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ethanol posted:

So basically I’m out the cost of the brakes and I need to either do the brakes myself or find the only good mechanic in my state (none)

They want to just slap on new rotors and of course those will just rust too

I mean I’ll try to engage the parking brake and scrap it off first

Don't go to these guys, they're criminals. All rotors* rust constantly, but it should get scraped off as you drive. It's a semi common scam to tell people they need to replace their rusty rotors, even though they will normally clean themselves. The usual reasons to have visibly rusty rotors:

• Short and/or calm drive since last parked
  • Living near the ocean
  • Extra-special long time since car last driven, requiring extra braking to clean all the rust off
  • Brake problem causing one it more wheels to not work fully

The only thing to worry about on that list is the last one. Everything else can be solved with some spirited driving to get the rears to participate since they do minimal work in relaxed braking.

*Except ludicrously expensive ones for supercars

Edit:

puberty worked me over posted:

Does the hand brake manage to engage the caliper piston in a way that fluid pressure from the pedal would not? They're both compressing the caliper piston (one mechanically and one hydraulically) on to the rotor are they not?

I followed this advice when doing the rears on my NB and didn't have an issue:
http://www.misterfixit.com/miatabrk.htm

Close enough to the same thing. Pulling the handbrake (partially!) isolates the rears though. No need to engage the fronts and the rears, especially if some dickhead might have just used a c-clamp to force the piston back into the caliper as is done on cars without parking disk brakes since the brakes then won't adjust themselves back out properly (assuming the calipers don't blow their seals right then and there), which would make the rears too weak to ever engage outside of racing.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 1, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The shop I had replace my rear pads forced the piston in with aC-clamp so I had to replace the calipers the next time, so there's that.

Maybe your guys also hosed up the self adjusting mechanism inside the piston, so it works if you pull the handbrake really far, but the piston won't move close enough to the pads for it to engage during normal driving with hydraulics.

I'd second just driving with the handbrake on for a bit to clear off the rust and pass the inspection for now. Unless they also test the effectiveness of the brakes, which they do here...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 1, 2018

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mobby_6kl posted:

The shop I had replace my rear pads forced the piston in with aC-clamp so I had to replace the calipers the next time, so there's that.

Lucky. I went out to my car a few days after I bought it and all the brake fluid was in a puddle under the car. Replaced that caliper and a week later I parked the car, grabbed a pizza, and when I went to leave the brake pedal hit the floor because the other side was now leaking.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I drove around braking extremely hard and occasionally with the ebrake on. The range of the pedal kept changing. At one point after a squealing stop my pedal became almost entirely slack. I could then hear rust scraping off the backs. A few pumps and I got pressure back. I drove back to the shop with clean and HOT rear rotors... and they passed it.

The range of the ebrake handle has also moved, but if I pull it it seems to slacken up again up the next pull. I dunno if my brakes are actually adjusting correctly but at least that inspection fee wasn’t wasted. This all seems like either a sticky caliper or I'm adjusting my brakes correctly for the first time maybe having braked hard enough. I'm thinking it's the second because a sticky caliper should only be one brake? Both brakes were rusty and are now cleaning off

Also this is a 2008.. wouldn’t a nc have self adjusting rears?

Hopefully i didnt blow the line completely haha

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 1, 2018

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What’s the proper way to move the piston back into the calipers?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 4, 2020

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

ethanol posted:

Also this is a 2008.. wouldn’t a nc have self adjusting rears?

When I did my 2011's brakes, I didn't mess with any adjustment and didn't have any problems like you're describing. So I guess they're self-adjusting? Or maybe I got lucky? Sorry, I'm no mechanic.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Also the easiest way to reset your ebrake after is pull ebrake to 6 clicks then tighten the caliper hex bolt till the wheels stop turning..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Anyone know if the cost of ownership of a Fiata is noticeably higher than that of a Miata ND?

Looking at getting a used 2016-18 model of either the Fiat 124 Spider Lusso or the Mazda MX-5 soft-top GT in automatic. My wife and I will probably swap DDing the car but that's only about 5-7k miles per year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mandalay posted:

Anyone know if the cost of ownership of a Fiata is noticeably higher than that of a Miata ND?

Looking at getting a used 2016-18 model of either the Fiat 124 Spider Lusso or the Mazda MX-5 soft-top GT in automatic. My wife and I will probably swap DDing the car but that's only about 5-7k miles per year.

I've owned one for two years and it has cost me nothing, beyond oil and gas. It's been a terrific car.

Edit:

I guess I can add a bit to that. I know of one problem that is reasonably common. The thermostat is a Mazda unit and sometimes has trouble talking to the FIAT ECU. This results in it maintaining too low of an engine temperature which sets a CEL. The fix is replacing the thermostat and/or reflashing the ECU. It's handled under warranty, so it's not costing anyone anything. I have not had that problem, myself.

Other poo poo I see people complaining about are mostly due to the mods they're making screwing up sensor data and that's their own drat fault.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 12, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How bad is the gas though? Like shredded wheat levels or black bean nacho levels?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

How bad is the gas though? Like shredded wheat levels or black bean nacho levels?

Broccoli and onion soup

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I'm in the middle of rebuilding the shifter bushings and boots. Anyone have tips for removing the two locator pins in the turret housing, should I just whack away with a hammer and punch until one comes lose? If I can't push a pin lose would separating the upper and lower turret housings to get better access to the pins be a good idea?

e: These pins are the worst. I've tried using several punches and the vice grip/socket method to press these pins out and I can't get them to budge. I'm hoping some PB Blaster overnight will free these bastards up.

e2: These loving dowel pins :arghfist:. I'm about to take the upper turret housing to a machine shop. Hopefully somebody can press these bastards out.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 20, 2018

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday, I had the little Miata out in the snow...

...ever so briefly. It was just in order to turn it around and wrangle it at an angle into the workshop, to get to pulling the engine.

Me+brother spent a few hours unbolting and removing all the things. I'm pulling the engine with the trans, and was fearing the PPF bolts. While the big one one on the diff was very hard to move, they all came out nicely, as did pretty much everything else. Only things that didn't were one of the bolts for the exhaust manifold heat shield that got rounded off and a bolt for the hood prop that broke (which I then realized didn't have to come out as I could just remove the prop from the bracket).

I think it's just about ready to come out. It's parked an hours drive from where I live, and next time I'll return with a hoist and a pickup truck and hopefully get everything out. All that I know is left to remove is the fuel line (I lacked the appropriate tool for those clips) and some wiring. I know I haven't removed all the engine grounds and alternator wiring, and I guess there's still some cables and hoses attached in the area under the intake manifold that are very hard to get to.

In all, it's pretty exciting, and so far worked better than I had expected.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Can I get a recommendation on 08 NC which brand or where to buy rear brake rotors and pads? I'm going to attempt my first brake job on this car

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What do you plan to do with your car? Street driving? Autocross? Track days?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

What do you plan to do with your car? Street driving? Autocross? Track days?

Street and lots of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rock Auto. Most centric brand stuff is decent for cheap rotors. Pads choose based on how much dust, noise, and stopping power you want.

Ceramics are low dust and noise, and wear rotors less generally. They don't have the feel or stopping power of semi metallics though. That's kinda how it goes as you increase friction coefficient/material up to performance street or track pads which dust like crazy, are noisy but stop you much faster and can do so repeatedly. Good ceramics are fine for most but it's a sports car so choose based on how you like to drive.

...And it's the rear so it won't matter much anyway. :v: