Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Monoma is going to blow his whole team up attempting to use OfA better than Deku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rhonne posted:

I bet Shinso will do something super heroic, but will also ultimately cost him the match.

Considering there's a poltergeist student I wonder if she'll "wake up" whatever is left of OfA users inside Deku and Shinso is going to save him (and everyone else) by controlling Deku and calming him down.

But something that big would be pretty hard to explain to everyone without revealing OfA's secret.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Monoma copying OfA will be treated as a big deal, but in the end it will do nothing because he can't copy the stockpile. Cue everyone going "WTF?"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

gmq posted:

Considering there's a poltergeist student I wonder if she'll "wake up" whatever is left of OfA users inside Deku and Shinso is going to save him (and everyone else) by controlling Deku and calming him down.

But something that big would be pretty hard to explain to everyone without revealing OfA's secret.

She tries to possess Deku, but things go crazy and the spirit of one of the previous OfA users takes over(trapping ghost girl inside Deku's head/soul) and he has no idea what is going on and just starts attacking everyone because he thinks he's in some kind of All For One trap.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

God, this chapter would loving rule if I wasn't forced to compare it to the last two rounds.

I get it, Bakugou's the fighting wunderkind, so I can't be TOO mad that he can take out an entire team nearly singlehandedly. The others basically just backed him up while he did everything. A legitimate strategy, sure! But aggravating since it amounted to "free Bakugo from one trap and then fight one guy (that Bakugo could have taken out anyway once he finished defeating the other two)." It just becomes a bit annoying to see them win so effortlessly against more impressive quirks (compared to the last two 1-B teams) AND a recommended student (not that that matters given the existence of Yao) just because Bakugou is OP and their teamwork is somehow flawless because he said "hey let's support each other" before the fight. Wish the other teams had thought of that. Oh and they somehow discerned Tokage's whole quirk based on the most vague of evidences. Not that it mattered since she was fighting solo at the end anyway.

Meanwhile team Yaoyorozu fought against significantly worse quirks (minus one throaty mushroom) and they got demolished because 3/4 of the team haven't learned a thing all year. I'm not even angry because Yao and Tokoyami lost despite the former deserving better and the latter being cheated, it's just all the more infuriating that in particular Hagakure and Aoyama were so completely wasted when Sugar Man of all people finally gets to contribute (even if it's one thing, but it's punching apart steel so it's a pretty cool thing.) At least the story had the guts to pretend Ojiro and Shoji were being useful last round.

I think I just need to let the last two battles go and get back to enjoying the story with the acceptance that the cast is just too big for everyone to be treated fairly. If they had reordered the battles so that we didn't get two really disappointing results sandwiched between two great rounds maybe it wouldn't feel so bad.

The whole point is that Bakugou didn't singlehandedly take out the entire team and it was the seamless teamwork that got 1-A the win. The team is basically set up as Bakugou being the offense, Satou as the second line with Sero and Jirou as support. Since Bakugou has the most mobility and the highest fighting skill he ends up being the one taking point and chasing down the other team but it wouldn't have worked without the rest of the team. Satou breaks Bakugou free and secures Bondo as soon as Bakugou takes him down, letting him keep hunting down the rest of the team without having to stop. Jirou and Seto also take down Awase on their own while Bakugou flies overhead again allowing him to keep moving so the other team couldn't hide.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
lol that bakugou's team has the best teamwork, congrats for jirou for being cool and infinitely more useful than momo (who cant lead, fight, support). sugarman and sato have now done more than her and lol to the guy who acted like bakugou solo'd (even though thats exactly what todoroki and iida tried doing)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This fight felt a lot better than the previous ones, because both teams actually worked together and the less important players were given time in the spotlight. Every member of both teams was given a chance to show off their stuff in some way, and even though Bakugo's team blew Tokage's team out, nobody looked like a useless jobber.

Awase and Bondo both looked way better than anyone on Momo's team except Tokoyami, and they're 1B extras on a team that got annihilated. This fight managed to make Sugarman look cool and useful and he's probably the most superfluous character in 1A.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Maybe Horikoshi made everyone else suck to make Bakugo look great by comparison. 6d narrative maneuvers over here.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

lol that bakugou's team has the best teamwork, congrats for jirou for being cool and infinitely more useful than momo (who cant lead, fight, support). sugarman and sato have now done more than her and lol to the guy who acted like bakugou solo'd (even though thats exactly what todoroki and iida tried doing)

I must have missed the part where Sato cloned himself and replaced Sero.

And yeah, Todoroki really did have a poor showing, didn't he? He just tried to melt Tetsutetsu for 20 minutes and passed out. At least Iida captured someone.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I disagree with people saying Tokage did okay and wasn't a complete jobber. She lost fantastically - her strategy was wrong and her power wasn't just useless, it actively worked against her in the end.

That's pretty bad, folks. Horikoshi has been pretty alright with getting female characters screentime and not making them "powerful, but useless against the big strong man", but there are still some instances of female characters losing and sometimes being ... kinda useless.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I expect Deku to do absolute madman things in his fight, like in every fight, and somehow win.

I'm also expecting Deku to pull off a 'perfect' victory, but it'll be not so one sided like Bakugo just pulled off

Actually I just realized Bakugo's team is the only one who won without anyone captured

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 30, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm so bored of this arc and its characters that will probably never make a major appearance again

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the key to why this battle was so good is because it was only two chapters. I feel that Iida and Todoroki’s was four or something

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I disagree with people saying Tokage did okay and wasn't a complete jobber. She lost fantastically - her strategy was wrong and her power wasn't just useless, it actively worked against her in the end.

That's pretty bad, folks. Horikoshi has been pretty alright with getting female characters screentime and not making them "powerful, but useless against the big strong man", but there are still some instances of female characters losing and sometimes being ... kinda useless.

I half agree. Tokage has a great power, great design AND is a recommendation student but all things considered, all she did was do reconnaissance, ineffectively punch Bakugo a few times and formulate a plan that lost them the match and that was it. She really could get a bit better showing. In-fact, she did about as well as Momo and that ain't a compliment.

The difference and where I disagree is that it was good plan and Bakugo beating it felt earned. It worked with what they knew about Bakugo's personality not Bakugo's power level and it was Bakugo's character development that made it ineffective, which was something they really couldn't know much about. If Bakugo just learned a few new moves and became stronger like other class A students, then the plan still would have worked and he would still lose. It demonstrated his character development and concrete fruits of progressing his character arc, which was something that was actually needed to be shown.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 30, 2018

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
The best thing about this chapter was I'll save you shitheads when you get in trouble, and you shitheads can save me when I get in trouble.

Like, yeah, that's definitely character growth but it's still pure Bakugo and it's beautiful.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm going to make a prediction and say that Monoma is going to try and still aim for victory for 1B on the grounds that "when we win the last round we may be tied in terms of rounds won/lost, but we'll have captured more people than 1A".

Round 1: 2 people from 1A captured, 4 people from 1B captured
Round 2: 4 from 1A, 0 from 1B
Round 3: 1 each from 1A and 1B
Round 4: 0 from 1A, 4 from 1B
*Round 5: 4 from 1A, 0 from 1B

Final count: 11 people from 1A captured, 9 from 1B captured.

*What Monoma thinks will happen.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
tokage had her plan fail and her team failed with it, momo personallly failed her team and in turn lost it all for them.

If bakugo was more like his old self it would have been a wash for them but bakugou actually had a plan that wasnt 'let tokoyami try soloing the team while i sit back with a canon like command and conquer'. Tokage also had her team work together unlike momo who had aoyama and tokoyami together (she coulda just let tokoyami go berserk then use aoyama to brighten the quirk back down).

even frigging froppy was using her brain more than the so called tactician of 1-A and I dont see tokage's loss as a real jobbing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Her strategy was wrong, but it was also about the best one she could have made from what she knew going in.

When you're dealing with Bakugo, you don't really have room to reassess a failed strategy since he's already wrecking your poo poo. He's the best fighter in the entire first year, the sheer heart attack of students.

Tokage set everything up around what should have been the one flaw, bad team cohesion. And then it turned out that was wrong, and Bakugo and co were wrecking everyone's poo poo too fast for the backup plan (retreat, regroup, repeat) to work.

Basically, she screwed up, but all things considered, it was more Bakugo's team being That Good than her being that bad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe I like mushroom girl a bit more now.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Down, boy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Maybe Horikoshi made everyone else suck to make Bakugo look great by comparison. 6d narrative maneuvers over here.

Pretty much his mo. Bakugo still way overpushed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

That’ll change when Bakugo stops moving the manga

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flesnolk posted:

This is his first win since Bakugo vs Deku mark 2 which was preceded by him failing the big hero exam lmao.

He's the secondary protagonist I'm sorry the duder's getting an arc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Push Sugar Man.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

off a cliff.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Give Sugar Man a cake factory.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This chapter was rad.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Push Uraraka. And Bakugo. Together. “FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT kiss kiss FIGHT”

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

Push Uraraka. And Bakugo. Together. “FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT kiss kiss FIGHT”

Only villains do this

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is his first win since Bakugo vs Deku mark 2 which was preceded by him failing the big hero exam lmao.

He's the secondary protagonist I'm sorry the duder's getting an arc.

Secondary protagonist and the most popular character in the manga, who's been out of the spotlight for quite some time.

It's also Bakugo's thing that he wins fights. I'd even put decent odds on that being why his suspension lasted just long enough to miss the Mirio fight. Bakugo can lose at everything that isn't fighting and it works for the narrative. He needs to get shot down so he can grow and because it's funny.

But if Bakugo loses his title as the class's combat genius, then he loses a lot of his purpose. He needs to remain something Deku can aspire to just like Deku needs to "get" being a hero better than Bakugo does. If Bakugo stops being a winner, he's no longer serving his purpose.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Bakugo needs to learn the power of teamwork, and Deku needs to learn the power of power. They compliment eachother nicely.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Only villains do this

'Oh Bakugo! Your giant grenade arms are so... big!'

I'M NOT PLAYING WITH MY DOLLS i mean action figures i mean DOLLS AGAIN YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

Secondary protagonist and the most popular character in the manga, who's been out of the spotlight for quite some time.

It's also Bakugo's thing that he wins fights. I'd even put decent odds on that being why his suspension lasted just long enough to miss the Mirio fight. Bakugo can lose at everything that isn't fighting and it works for the narrative. He needs to get shot down so he can grow and because it's funny.

But if Bakugo loses his title as the class's combat genius, then he loses a lot of his purpose. He needs to remain something Deku can aspire to just like Deku needs to "get" being a hero better than Bakugo does. If Bakugo stops being a winner, he's no longer serving his purpose.

Also why his failure in the license exam was a failure based on attitude and serving as a hero. Not involved with Gang Orca. And that losing to Deku in the first class fight, Deku was the one broken and beaten while Bakugo was completely fine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

'Oh Bakugo! Your giant grenade arms are so... big!'

I'M NOT PLAYING WITH MY DOLLS i mean action figures i mean DOLLS AGAIN YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING!

You mean Funko Pops?

(You monster.)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Every panel of Bakugo was him just exploding something/someone, fucken owns

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think Bakugo touched the ground like one time in the entire fight. His mobility really is insane.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eej posted:

The whole point is that Bakugou didn't singlehandedly take out the entire team and it was the seamless teamwork that got 1-A the win. The team is basically set up as Bakugou being the offense, Satou as the second line with Sero and Jirou as support. Since Bakugou has the most mobility and the highest fighting skill he ends up being the one taking point and chasing down the other team but it wouldn't have worked without the rest of the team. Satou breaks Bakugou free and secures Bondo as soon as Bakugou takes him down, letting him keep hunting down the rest of the team without having to stop. Jirou and Seto also take down Awase on their own while Bakugou flies overhead again allowing him to keep moving so the other team couldn't hide.
Yeah, Satou broke out Bakugou and then he left Awase for them to take care of. That was cool but it was also the extent of their contribution.

Bondo - Held in place by Sato sure, but he was already blown the hell up by Bakugo so he was neutralized anyway.

The Bug Guy - Solo'd by Bakugou instantly.

Tokage - Her position was found by Sero+Jiro, sure (using Bakugo's grenades), but Bakugo took her out singlehandedly without resistance.

It was well put together and infinitely more entertaining than the last two matches so I'm not that mad about it, I just feel like Bakugo's getting way too much credit for teamwork when he took out 3/4 of the team on his own once he got past the Awase trap. It had to happen this way for it to be a snappy 1 chapter sweep, but it would've been cool to see just a bit more teamwork than that.

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, after blowing up Bondo's glue and then Bondo himself and then the Bug Blades Guy after rocket-propelling himself through the air from one side of the arena to the other, maybe Bakugo could've been out of sweat and unable to rocket himself up to Tokage. So instead Sero could throw him up there, if it had to be Bakugou, or maybe that could've been the chapter stinger and we could've got a final chapter where Tokage gets to show off why her quirk is useful and earned her a recommendation spot while the remaining three on Team Bakugo work out some team attacks together to take her down. Then we get an even better showing from the B-squad while not completely invalidating yet another promising female character.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Jiro told Bakugo where Mantis guy was for him to take him down.

The thing about teamwork is that everyone has a role to play. If Bakugo micromanaged Awase then the rest of B would have had an opportunity to regroup. He trusted Jiro and Sero to take him out and so was able to get the jump on Bondo. Then trusting Sato to complete the restraining of Bondo let him get in a position to take advantage of Jiro's surveillance to take out Mantis. By then Sero had worked out where Tokage with his trapping of a piece of her alllowing Bakugo to rain on her parade. They worked together as a well oiled machine. Exactly like how a pro team is supposed to work when their side-kicks are involved. Hell, if Bakugo hadn't rushed back to save Jiro then Sato would have ended up gooped trying to save Jiro and Sero and it all would have fallen apart exactly like what Tokage was expecting.

Saving to Win and Winning to Save.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The problem is, if we compare to Momo's battle. Tokage was overwhelmed but had no contingency and her teammates weren't able to put up a good struggle themselves. As you say her quirk wasn't extremely useful in combat, and it wound up biting her back in the end. Momo even though she was isolated still managed to send her team some aid at her own risk and used her quirk as a means to slow down her opponent the best she could. The spotlight of the battle was then given to Tokoyami; although it was a moot point because their opponents had Mushroom girl who reinforced the idea that spore based abilities are top-tier. But the other students as well had potent powers as well; namely Manga.

In both cases it can be argued that the losing team was going up against someone vastly outside their weight belt which was the major contributing factor to their defeat. But how the leaders adapted to that situation at least presents Momo in a better light as someone capable of making snap decisions and changes under pressure along with her pre-planning. Tokage just folded when bumrushed because she only had one plan and no adaptability which is something that doesn't benefit a hero in a crisis or combat situation which is still the overall goal of these classes and trials. The other thing is that Momo's confidence and analytical ability under pressure are a trait of her character that is being developed, this was Tokage's debut fight with the reader knowing nothing about her outside the hype of being a recommendation student. The combination of her thorough defeat, and verbal fellating of the 1-A team firmly made her out to be a jobber to showcase Bakugou's growth and resolve first and foremost.

I still like the chapters themselves, but Tokage wasn't very impressive especially after Juzo managed to stalemate in his previous fight despite going up against two of the most prominent members of Class 1-A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rouncer posted:

Jiro told Bakugo where Mantis guy was for him to take him down.

The thing about teamwork is that everyone has a role to play. If Bakugo micromanaged Awase then the rest of B would have had an opportunity to regroup. He trusted Jiro and Sero to take him out and so was able to get the jump on Bondo. Then trusting Sato to complete the restraining of Bondo let him get in a position to take advantage of Jiro's surveillance to take out Mantis. By then Sero had worked out where Tokage with his trapping of a piece of her alllowing Bakugo to rain on her parade. They worked together as a well oiled machine. Exactly like how a pro team is supposed to work when their side-kicks are involved. Hell, if Bakugo hadn't rushed back to save Jiro then Sato would have ended up gooped trying to save Jiro and Sero and it all would have fallen apart exactly like what Tokage was expecting.

Saving to Win and Winning to Save.
I guess that's fair. I admit that I'm nitpicking out of frustration with this fight versus the ones before it more than out of any real malice towards the chapter. Maybe it was so much better than the last two that it rolled over into disappointment that it wasn't even better, which isn't fair.

I still would have liked the non-Bakugo's to have a more direct role vs the opponents versus just ganging up on one guy mostly off screen or holding down others, but they still got to use their quirks and contribute even if a lot of it was just guiding Bakugou around like an RC car of death. And they didn't look lovely afterwards, so that's a hell of a lot more than half of the 1-A participants before them can say.