Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe ike hired some ex mossad to dig up dirt on iger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

HIJK posted:

Failing up, Hollywood style.

I mean, has anyone at WB faced any consequences for the DCEU? Last I heard Venom earned as much if not more than Justice League, which is layers of funny to me all things considered. I think its kind of funny how Hollywood seems immune to more typical corporate culture. You look at the video game industry, for example, and how so many companies ended up getting screwed by shareholder expectations and executive demands for profit growth, but Hollywood corps can drop hugely underperforming products and no one blinks. Which, come to think of it, makes "Hollywood accounting" seem that much scarier. :stare:

site posted:

Maybe ike hired some ex mossad to dig up dirt on iger

Considering how many times we keep finding out that Hollywood execs are secret criminals/sex offenders, I can't entirely ignore the possibility that some level of blackmail is involved in high level job security.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/1068549688364843012?s=19

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Losing his Kingpin is the most painful thing about this whole thing for me. I did like Charlie Cox's Daredevil, but Vincent was an amazing Fisk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, has anyone at WB faced any consequences for the DCEU? Last I heard Venom earned as much if not more than Justice League, which is layers of funny to me all things considered. I think its kind of funny how Hollywood seems immune to more typical corporate culture. You look at the video game industry, for example, and how so many companies ended up getting screwed by shareholder expectations and executive demands for profit growth, but Hollywood corps can drop hugely underperforming products and no one blinks. Which, come to think of it, makes "Hollywood accounting" seem that much scarier. :stare:

Zack Snyder did.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Zack Snyder did.

I thought he left Justice League due to some family tragedy? That said, the fact that he made it that far into JL before being taken off of the franchise is still pretty bad. The sad thing is, I don't even think he is the worst film maker, I just don't understand how you can look at the performance and reception of Man of Steel, and say "yes, let's give this man a billion dollars to lead our movie franchises going forward" and then again with BvS and go "we made the right choice, full steam ahead!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought he left Justice League due to some family tragedy? That said, the fact that he made it that far into JL before being taken off of the franchise is still pretty bad. The sad thing is, I don't even think he is the worst film maker, I just don't understand how you can look at the performance and reception of Man of Steel, and say "yes, let's give this man a billion dollars to lead our movie franchises going forward" and then again with BvS and go "we made the right choice, full steam ahead!"

Probably because man of steel and bvs made 3 times it's budget so they were financially successful. Principal filming for Justice League started only a month after BVS because they wanted to catch up with marvel ASAP. So the negative backlash it got wasn't fully felt by then. I'm guessing that once they realised that audiences really soured on the DCEU after BVS, they wanted the reshoots.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder why the movie side don't get along/like the TV side and if it's mutual.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

That was what they announced at the time, but it's come out since that he was fired.

He also lost his position as the architect for the movies and all that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Probably because man of steel and bvs made 3 times it's budget so they were financially successful. Principal filming for Justice League started only a month after BVS because they wanted to catch up with marvel ASAP. So the negative backlash it got wasn't fully felt by then. I'm guessing that once they realised that audiences really soured on the DCEU after BVS, they wanted the reshoots.

Making x times the budget doesn't really mean much. In US business structure, it is about meeting expectation, so what would matter would be what they set as the expected earnings for shareholders and whether those films contributed to positive growth. And also how they perform against competing products. Without knowing the expected earnings for BvS, and just looking at the big picture, BvS underperformed, especially given the assumed values of the brands associated with it. Whatever the case, it's obvious that no one financially involved had particularly high expectations at that point, because it wasn't until Disney started regularly crossing the billion dollar line that someone pulled the plug, since it was then they probably realized they could have and probably should have made hundreds of millions more than they did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bessantj posted:

I wonder why the movie side don't get along/like the TV side and if it's mutual.

Ike Perlmutter is notoriously difficult to work with. They also got rid of the creative committee. I don't know if that committee had direct dealing with the TV stuff, but it does demonstrate how people from different departments would come together to gently caress up the movies. If that's the culture at Marvel Entertainment, then it probably affected the TV stuff too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Marvel TV likely is subject to the same interference that Studios was under the committee, since Permlutter etc, would be at the top of that food chain either way. Considering the rift stemmed from interference over the movies via the committee, it's probably a safe bet that despite named positions being given out for Marvel TV heads, it is ultimately run by the very people that rubbed Marvel Studios the wrong way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Marvel organization chart

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Merlyn, Diaz, and Sampson as cops? :allears:

Meryln's really come down in the world. He used to be Ra's al Ghul.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Ike Perlmutter is notoriously difficult to work with. They also got rid of the creative committee. I don't know if that committee had direct dealing with the TV stuff, but it does demonstrate how people from different departments would come together to gently caress up the movies. If that's the culture at Marvel Entertainment, then it probably affected the TV stuff too.

Ah so loving it up by committee, that's a shame.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's cute that some of you think the new shows on Disney+ will tie into the movies more than say, Agents of SHIELD. The major reason for the lack of tie ins is the difference in production schedules between movies and TV and the movie people not wanting to have to worry about whether or not their audience saw some random episode of whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's cute that some of you think the new shows on Disney+ will tie into the movies more than say, Agents of SHIELD. The major reason for the lack of tie ins is the difference in production schedules between movies and TV and the movie people not wanting to have to worry about whether or not their audience saw some random episode of whatever.

Well considering the new shows are going to feature stars from the films...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bessantj posted:

Ah so loving it up by committee, that's a shame.

I'm just reading between lines so I may be way off, but yeah, executive meddling and turf wars seem to be at the root of it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, you people thinking that just because Hiddleston is playing Loki in the series that will also be under Feige's team that it will be connected to the movie are so stupid!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf the russos say that loki is dead dead, so it'll probably some prequel show and may not really tie in to the movies

since i have no idea what happens to wanda in iw2 im not gonna speculate on that one though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

tbf the russos say that loki is dead dead, so it'll probably some prequel show and may not really tie in to the movies

since i have no idea what happens to wanda in iw2 im not gonna speculate on that one though

They also put out trailers with scenes that were not in Infinity War so........

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not that I'm taking Marvel's side on canning these, but I'm sure a lot of the terrible seasons of the Netflix stuff can be directly laid at Loeb's feet. He wasn't directly in charge until DD and JJ S1 were out, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Well considering the new shows are going to feature stars from the films...

That just tells me those characters aren't going to be in the movies anymore.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm sure he's dead dead but he's also Asgardian so I've always assumed they would eventually get to the realm of the dead in Thor stuff and wouldn't you know it, as soon as Thor becomes responsible for the Asgardian people he loses half of them.

Fingers crossed we get some kind of journey into mystery/escape from the underworld in this Loki series, Hiddleston stars in the first episode and is replaced by a kid/woman for the remainder, and Hela takes her proper seat as ruler of Hel and all is right with the world.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

Not that I'm taking Marvel's side on canning these, but I'm sure a lot of the terrible seasons of the Netflix stuff can be directly laid at Loeb's feet. He wasn't directly in charge until DD and JJ S1 were out, right?

I believe so yeah. He wasn't a good manager of the shows and, welp. The results are in front of us.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find it hard to feel bad for things being taken away from Loeb and Ike.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Sure that's the corporate PR line, but I think considering the confirmed animosity between camps, it is probably more that, while crossing over TV with movies would certainly be some what of a challenge to schedule, the fact of the matter is Marvel Studios doesn't want to cross over with Marvel TV because Marvel Studios has no control over them and Disney isn't making them anyway. We saw that there was a fight for control over the MCU and Marvel Studios/Kevin Feige won, so I don't see how it is a stretch to put two and two together and realize that Feige has all the leverage here, and he doesn't want to work with Marvel Entertainment execs. He didn't want them around for the movies, so why would he invite them back by trying to work with the area that Disney gave them explicit control over.

When people say "tie in", they are referring to the fact that Feige and Marvel Studios themselves are producing/writing. I highly doubt he is going to let people write some poo poo that completely contradicts his vision when he actually has full control over it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HIJK posted:

I believe so yeah. He wasn't a good manager of the shows and, welp. The results are in front of us.

I think this would've happened either way but Defenders probably wouldn't have sucked so bad if it wasn't for him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

When people say "tie in", they are referring to the fact that Feige and Marvel Studios themselves are producing/writing. I highly doubt he is going to let people write some poo poo that completely contradicts his vision when he actually has full control over it.

"It's all connected" is clever marketing and everyone bought it.

I know people who absolutely hated Agents of Shield (at least in its first season) but insisted on watching it every week because they were convinced that it would "count".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
How much control did Loeb have over the series anyway? I always thought it was weird to put a guy in charge of a completely different media type that he worked for just because they are adaptations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loeb is just the guy who makes the deals and poo poo. He doesn't run the shows, but is the guy who helps hire them. He isn't like Feige where people he hires all follow a certain roadmap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/havensam/status/1068350428687912960?s=21

Samuringa posted:

How much control did Loeb have over the series anyway? I always thought it was weird to put a guy in charge of a completely different media type that he worked for just because they are adaptations.

Loeb's been in TV for ages, mostly working on horrible shows like Heroes. He certainly doesn't lack experience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Loeb had previous experience in film and television; in fact I think that's where he did most of his work before he started in comics. He wrote or co-wrote the screenplay for Commando and he was a writer and producer on Smallville, Lost and Heroes.

Maybe that's not a great pedigree but if you want to keep it "in-house" it's probably more experience than most Marvel writers have. :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

If they want to bring him back they can just say "it's Loki" and have him dance around smugly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bruceski posted:

If they want to bring him back they can just say "it's Loki" and have him dance around smugly.

One of the few characters for which that wouldn't be bullshit. Whatever, I just want more of Hiddleston's take on the character.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if the whole series is Tom lending his voice to Cat Loki

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Argue posted:

What if the whole series is Tom lending his voice to Cat head Loki

Sorry felt I needed to clarify that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just watched the latest episode of Titans. Haven't seen any of the others yet, but...yeah, I gotta agree that it has all the hallmarks of a...well, the best way I can put it is a "strangely good TV show."

Also I love this Donna and would die for her :love:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Having not watched any of Titans yet, all the chatter I’ve seen online is that it turned out to actually be a good show that people are enjoying. So what the “gently caress Batman” happened with the pre-release marketing that had everyone so initially soured on it? Were the trailers not representative of what the actual show would be? Does it take more than the three episodes that were sent to critics to find its feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Are they all still murderers?