Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

New Atheists are Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Steven Pinker and the like, who use "Reason and Logic" to defend conservative policies while posing as progressives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Flying-Chip posted:

New Atheists are Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Steven Pinker and the like, who use "Reason and Logic" to defend conservative policies while posing as progressives.

Pretty much.

It kinda got started as the internet allowed spread-out groups like atheists to congregate and find common experiences and give those types a steady audience, especially via blogs. Early Youtube dissing of creationist tropes/organizations was also a big thing and might be the cradle of the DEBATE ME!! gambit of the current alt-right.

There was a definite progressive current in it early on, via people like PZ Myers and Aron Ra. Daniel Dennett also seems to be not a poo poo person. Those all got tossed aside when:

1- Intra-movement tensions (Libertarians versus Others, Shitbags versus Women Who Don't Wanna Be Groped and stalked at Conventions) made it clear that if white guys and their fans had to make ANY effort to improve themselves, they would rather burn it all down instead;

2- They realized that blowing raspberries at home-schooled creationists got you the modest applause of some academia types, but making GBS threads on muslims/feminists/marxists got you hundreds of thousands of views, bulging Patreons and the adoration of restless chuds and chud-adjacent factions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It was a real mindfuck when those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s found out that just hating Jerry Falwell and Tipper Gore and suchlike doesn't automatically make you a good person.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well, the MMA doc is over.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Wild how much this parallels what is occurring the WWE right now. I hope they do more stuff like this in the future

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1068588574067646469?s=21

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I have one short criticism: It's obvious that this was going to be mostly an History of MMA -> MMA becomes a business <-> US slowly becomes eaten alive by itself ordeal, but... there's a huge, Razvan Kadyrov shaped hole in all of this. Which seems kind of a huge deal, unless Karim Zidan or someone else didn't want for him to be the guy to talk a lot about it, better for a different kind of documentary.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

senpai noticed me

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1068608999694700550

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I thought the doc was good but holy poo poo the sound editing was atrocious. One minute Felix sounds like he's in a studio and the next in a closet with a tape deck.

Jon Bois' eulogy to Radioshack is still my favorite thing from him and one of the best things I've ever read.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I thought the doc was good but holy poo poo the sound editing was atrocious. One minute Felix sounds like he's in a studio and the next in a closet with a tape deck.

Jon Bois' eulogy to Radioshack is still my favorite thing from him and one of the best things I've ever read.

The Radioshack thing is fantastic and it’s how I first knew qbout him, despite being from the same city. The audio thing was messing with me at first, but it must be intentional so I guess I’m fine with it. The doc is a good watch, it kinda felt disjointed at first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think my favorite Bois content is The Death of Basketball
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Felix just kind of... has that effect, somehow.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Crotch posted:

Felix just kind of... has that effect, somehow.

It’s from being from Chicago, they have an innate resistance to people wearing a wire, but it clearly has some unintended side effects

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lmao I watched some of that fighting loneliness poo poo because this thread was talking about it and the first couple minutes are felix talking in his Serious Voice cut with presidents making statements about the peacefulness of the american character. It's literally something chapo would dunk on coming from anyone else

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lmao I watched some of that fighting loneliness poo poo because this thread was talking about it and the first couple minutes are felix talking in his Serious Voice cut with presidents making statements about the peacefulness of the american character. It's literally something chapo would dunk on coming from anyone else

HOW do you not get irony

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1068541409073029122?s=19

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

HOW do you not get irony

That thing where I suck? Oh its irony. It's just jokes.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Uh dude you think my retarded youtube poo poo sucks? My back hurts my cousin isnt here you're fuckin lucky fortnite Chicago eminem halo i woke up at noon uh "irony"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Uh dude you think my retarded youtube poo poo sucks? My back hurts my cousin isnt here you're fuckin lucky fortnite Chicago eminem halo i woke up at noon uh "irony"

Half your posts in this thread are crying that you don't like Felix "God's Chosen Son" beiderman.

He's not gonna gently caress you, relax my man.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah it's actually a good series with good delivery, sorry you're not doing anything interesting

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Protect felix! At all costs! *frantically searches post history for tepid owns*

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Half your posts in this thread are crying that you don't like Felix "God's Chosen Son" beiderman.

You're not kidding, he's got exactly one setting and it's Extremely Not Mad

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Haha, it's entirely about Felix.

Stop posting about Felix, boring guy.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Love too post weirdly about Felix for some reason.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I haven't been 'in' on Chapo for as long as many others, why does Felix break brains like this?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I haven't been 'in' on Chapo for as long as many others, why does Felix break brains like this?

He's the ultimate thirst trap, the poster's Afghanistan.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I Before E posted:

He's the ultimate thirst trap, the poster's Afghanistan.

graveyard of hornt posters.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gangbager go on r*d s*care

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The doc is good, I didn’t give a gently caress about mma and still don’t but I was interested while watching the movie.

Disliking the doc is classist.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sorry dude didn't even have to click the little button on the bottom left there I just remembered the last time you posted was to whine that people were enjoying a Felix heavy ep.

You've just posted so bad so consistantly it's become a known brand.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 1, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love listening twice a week to a podcast where I hate one of the main hosts, then watching said host's docuseries that doesn't feature the hosts I do like

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is this "having an extremely normal one"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Matt is clearly the best looking podcast boi, and he's anime as well. If anything, they should be tsundre for him.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chapo's reality warping powers just a smidge off target this time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also it seems really really really dumb to get mad at Felix for being so into joking irony all the time right after you made a post complaining that his documentary was way too earnest.

It's almost as if you don't really care either way.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 1, 2018

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It should be noted that Felix's statements on Obama have to be put in context of him being really, really hopeful for him in 2008 in hopes that it would do something about those crisis both in and out of the US. That doesn't necessarily mean he's like this in 2018. Plus it's there to mirror what Dana White really wanted to do with UFC which as the documentary goes on and on, you kinda see that being turned to poo poo.

Kinda like the segment on PC -> HR culture only really being set once you see those headlines being written from papers owned by the exact same company to set that Yes, the freakout about Political Correctness was mostly manufactured.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is that why they're mad at Felix? I thought it was just jealousy.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the antisemitism is coming from inside the government

The NRO 100% has the sickest mission patches.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I'm mad at Felix because of his beautiful face and lisp and becuase he won't tell me his SA username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Biomute posted:

Is that why they're mad at Felix? I thought it was just jealousy.

Heavens no, what I meant was that the Felix hating poster saw that statement about the then president as his feelings towards Obama now in 2018, rather than reflecting the situation in 2008 to Obama's election.