Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wasn't he one of Cohen's other clients? Bet you that Cohen flipped on him too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yay my probe is over!

So, when 45 fails to attend due to hurt fee-fees, will that make him the first modern sitting prez to not attend a former prez funeral?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Same poo poo they pulled in NC two years ago. Less sore losers, more scorched earth.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Can't the new state leg's just overturn all the poo poo that the old ones pass in the lame duck anyways? :raise:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mistaya posted:

Can't the new state leg's just overturn all the poo poo that the old ones pass in the lame duck anyways? :raise:

They still held to power in the legislature in these elections. They did it in the lame duck session so that the new governor couldn't veto it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There is a slight chance that Snyder vetoes the legislation in Michigan since, while terrible, he's not a complete hack, but Wisconsin is probably hosed.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Oh, that sucks. :(

re: North Carolina voting fraud- our republican state reps tried to amend the state constitution to hobble the voting fairness commission that is currently looking into the mess. Right now it's a 4/4 dem/repub split +1 independent. The ballot proposal was to eliminate the independent (making it an 8 seat instead of a 9 seat panel) so it could just go into a partisan deadlock every time and accomplish nothing.

Thankfully that got voted down.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

The Glumslinger posted:

Wasn't he one of Cohen's other clients? Bet you that Cohen flipped on him too

yes, his only three clients were Trump, Broidy and Hannity

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hannity talking military tribunals. But we haven't heard a word about what Cohen may have said about him?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This is such loving horseshit. If gerrymandered forever-republican state legislatures in purple states can just obliterate any ability for any Democrat to implement their policies and campaign promises, whats the loving point of anything?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sanguinia posted:

This is such loving horseshit. If gerrymandered forever-republican state legislatures in purple states can just obliterate any ability for any Democrat to implement their policies and campaign promises, whats the loving point of anything?
1.) Once they lose power, they lose power hard. Look at California

2.) There is always the hope of a resurrected VRA.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Sanguinia posted:

They can’t take veto power away from a governor, which means they have to work with democratic governors to draw legislative districts after the 2020 census.

In the meantime they can hobble a democratic governor’s ability to fix things, but the veto power keeps the gop from breaking things further.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 1, 2018

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The purple states where the GOP hadn't already installed explicitly fixed electoral systems to maintain power in legislature are basically our newest blue states. The GOP had to have locked in that power by now, or it's too late for them. Where this lock is legally or electorally degraded, for our lifetimes, it's going to be a one-way process.

Virginia will be a blue state next.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Russia trolling Trump:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-didn-t-cancel-putin-because-mueller-white-house-insists-n942146

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kavros posted:

The purple states where the GOP hadn't already installed explicitly fixed electoral systems to maintain power in legislature are basically our newest blue states. The GOP had to have locked in that power by now, or it's too late for them. Where this lock is legally or electorally degraded, for our lifetimes, it's going to be a one-way process.

Virginia will be a blue state next.

People keep saying this and the GOP keeps finding ways to stay in power. They're going to:
Find new wedge issues
Find new ways to disenfranchise people
Find new white people by expanding whiteness

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

HootTheOwl posted:

People keep saying this and the GOP keeps finding ways to stay in power. They're going to:
Find new wedge issues
Find new ways to disenfranchise people

When was the actual last time whiteness was expanded? People always mention the Italians and Irish, that was a loooong time ago

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Arturo Ui posted:

When was the actual last time whiteness was expanded? People always mention the Italians and Irish, that was a loooong time ago

Slavs?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arturo Ui posted:

Cubans.

And you can argue it has actually regressed a bit in the last couple decades since Persians and some Arabs used to be considered white.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Arturo Ui posted:

It's going to just be hispanics. You can already check white hispanic or non-white hispanic on ethnicity boxes. I check white hispanic because my father is from Argentina.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

AlternateNu posted:

Cubans.

And you can argue it has actually regressed a bit in the last couple decades since Persians and some Arabs used to be considered white.

We have a surge of Indians that they may take a swing at.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Cubans.

Jews have also become less white lately.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
This keeps on being reported but I never get tired of hearing it: https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1068897519805972480

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arturo Ui posted:

Rafael Edward Cruz: how white is he?
If his dad was darker would he still be white?

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2018

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

marshmonkey posted:

This keeps on being reported but I never get tired of hearing it: https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1068897519805972480

The important point here, of course, are that these are state crimes, and so immune from Trump's pardon power.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/arappeport/status/1068923010063704065

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

saintonan posted:

The important point here, of course, are that these are state crimes, and so immune from Trump's pardon power.

Also New York is dem through and through, and both the Governor and the elected AG ran on "we're going to get at Trump".

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think Republicans in 2018 are interested in expanding what counts as a white person.

W. Bush tried to reach out to Hispanic voters, but :lol: if you run in a 2020 GOP primary supporting that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

marshmonkey posted:

Any reason the NYAG would slow-play this to wait for Mueller?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

it's hard to say because there's multiple investigations at multiple levels

- the trump foundation lawsuit about their "charity" is actively being litigated right now
- if the Dept. of Tax and Finance investigation is separate, we know almost nothing about it
- there's one other state investigation (maybe it's the same as the DTF one) that's referenced that is unknown
- and the feds are investigating the Stormy Daniels/etc related electoral violations

odds are they are coordinating with Mueller and will respect the special counsel's wishes until their interests are no longer aligned for one reason or another, but I think there's not any particular reason that bringing charges against the Trump Organization would have to be delayed

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mdemone posted:

I’m guessing that the Mueller team would just hand them stuff as needed anyway.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Meanwhile all I hear from certain people is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-is-worlds-most-competitive-economy-for-first-time-in-a-decade-1539727213

quote:

The U.S. is back on top as the most competitive country in the world, regaining the No. 1 spot for the first time since 2008 in an index produced by the World Economic Forum, which said the country could still do better on social issues.

woo :chud:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1068968191567654912

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they start claiming that the Russians were helping the Democrats.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Taerkar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they start claiming that the Russians were helping the Democrats.

That’s been an on and off again Republican talking point since last year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

James Garfield posted:

I don't think Republicans in 2018 are interested in expanding what counts as a white person.

W. Bush tried to reach out to Hispanic voters, but :lol: if you run in a 2020 GOP primary supporting that.

If it was a conscious choice I'd agree with you. But it isn't. Whiteness is a construct that is as expansive as it needs to be to maintain power, and as exclusionary as it can be to keep it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taerkar posted:

they probably are, there's no reason not to help both sides if your goal is to induce chaos rather than tip the scales

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

luxury handset posted:

they probably are, there's no reason not to help both sides if your goal is to induce chaos rather than tip the scales

Nah, they straight up tipping the scales. Remember that they hacked the RNC just like they did the DNC but not a single piece of information from that was ever leaked.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nah, they straight up tipping the scales. Remember that they hacked the RNC just like they did the DNC but not a single piece of information from that was ever leaked.

i can think of reasons for this other than russia actively supporting the republicans in some sort of alliance. like, there's not as fertile ground on the left for wild conspiracy mongering and outrage media as on the right

putin has a record of funding both pro- and anti-groups just to create dissonance, which is the most obvious thing the russians would want - here's one example

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-trolls-senate-intelligence-committee-hearing-2017-11

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

luxury handset posted:

i can think of reasons for this other than russia actively supporting the republicans in some sort of alliance. like, there's not as fertile ground on the left for wild conspiracy mongering and outrage media as on the right

putin has a record of funding both pro- and anti-groups just to create dissonance, which is the most obvious thing the russians would want - here's one example

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-trolls-senate-intelligence-committee-hearing-2017-11

Because Hillary was a hawkish candidate who kinda weirdly implied she'd be willing to shoot russian planes down in Syria and Trump has business in Russia where the government has leverage and is just the dumbest man on earth. It doesn't need to be an alliance and collusion for them to see the dumbest motherfucker ever saying 'YEA I GRAB PUSSIES WHAT OF IT' and vowing to slash everything that isn't turning a profit in the government and poo poo and go 'haha yea this guy'll gently caress things up, that'd rule'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

It doesn't need to be an alliance and collusion for them to see the dumbest motherfucker ever saying 'YEA I GRAB PUSSIES WHAT OF IT' and vowing to slash everything that isn't turning a profit in the government and poo poo and go 'haha yea this guy'll gently caress things up, that'd rule'.

thank you for agreeing with me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)