Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

Well yeah

I just reinstalled Sonic Adventure DX on Steam for a replay, this is going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Heath posted:

Lmfao this really is a SaGa game, isn't it?

SaGa games usually don't have super lengthy chained bosses or random encounters so Octopath can't even get that right.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So aside from not having to worry about losing your game carts, are there any benefits of exclusively downloading vs. buying physical?

Like, what happens if the eShop is shut down for good one day, and you lose access to all of the games you've downloaded?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its made by the people who made Bravely Default, they literally know better!
They tried to maintain that illusion, but it wasn't really. Produced by the producers of Bravely Default, everyone else including director, designer, and writing staff were from Acquire. The director's biggest credit is Way of the Samurai 3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Willo567 posted:

So aside from not having to worry about losing your game carts, are there any benefits of exclusively downloading vs. buying physical?

Like, what happens if the eShop is shut down for good one day, and you lose access to all of the games you've downloaded?

Same thing that happens to your physical copy of NBA 2k19, it doesnt work anymore.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's funny cause of all the systems, Nintendo is the last one to worry about, look at how they're handling the wiishop closing in 2019. They treat digital like physical, in that you own it, not a license. Compared to sony who is literally shutting down games a year after they launched and pulling others off the store completely and even corrupting the rightful owners copies.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

bushisms.txt posted:

It's funny cause of all the systems, Nintendo is the last one to worry about, look at how they're handling the wiishop closing in 2019. They treat digital like physical, in that you own it, not a license. Compared to sony who is literally shutting down games a year after they launched and pulling others off the store completely and even corrupting the rightful owners copies.

You still end up losing all of the Wii games you've downloaded if your Wii becomes hosed somehow. Also, Sony isn't the only one who has pulled games off of their stores; all of the major companies have had games pulled off of their store front at one point. Finally, what are you talking about with the last point?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The P.T. thing about Konami putting out a patch to "disable" the game on consoles that still had it turned out to be a hoax.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a Goon clan for Warframe?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Policenaut posted:

The P.T. thing about Konami putting out a patch to "disable" the game on consoles that still had it turned out to be a hoax.

Don't you still have to essentially "hack" psn to get again if you delete it?

Willo567 posted:

You still end up losing all of the Wii games you've downloaded if your Wii becomes hosed somehow.

That's all digital media if you lose what it's saved to.

Alan_Shore posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a Goon clan for Warframe?

Go to the Warframe console thread. They've got a discord.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Don't you still have to essentially "hack" psn to get again if you delete it?

Sort of.

I think Konami's the only company to have done this on the PSN this generation, but the option to escalate the delisting of a product to permanently remove it from the visible library is present. Most delisted games on the PSN just vanish from the store but you can still go to download list/Library and find it if you bought it, but P.T. was removed entirely. People eventually learned that P.T. is still on Sony's servers, but the public access was removed, so if you do some weird proxy connection stuff with your PS4 you can re-download it if you already owned it before it was removed from public listings. I've never looked too hard into it (it sounded really complicated when I first heard it) but if you really, really want P.T. back then you can give Konami the finger and do so.

That's all more on Konami's hatred of P.T. though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NintendoAUNZ/status/1068699657277190144

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That looks a lot better rendered than it did in the sticker art

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That looks a lot better rendered than it did in the sticker art

Well yeah, the art was altered by someone with a short timeframe, presumably.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

s.i.r.e. posted:

That poo poo still owns.

Until the prerendered cutscene ends and the ancient world-destroying God goes from this

To this

I remember sitting on the floor with that godawful dreamcast controller in my hands thinking "I fought that lovely fish boss fight three times for this?"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RandomFerret posted:

Until the prerendered cutscene ends and the ancient world-destroying God goes from this

To this

I remember sitting on the floor with that godawful dreamcast controller in my hands thinking "I fought that lovely fish boss fight three times for this?"

I also remember the music changing from the :krad: butt rock (with lyrics!) to something more generic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomFerret posted:

To this

It didn't matter for me because I was loving Super Sonic.

Wamdoodle posted:

I also remember the music changing from the :krad: butt rock (with lyrics!) to something more generic.

I thought it's the same song just without the lyrics?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just reinstalled Sonic Adventure DX on Steam for a replay, this is going to own.

It does not hold up IMHO

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I thought it's the same song just without the lyrics?

No it's some orchestral "Tense moment" music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRh63S-D548

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

s.i.r.e. posted:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wamdoodle posted:

No it's some orchestral "Tense moment" music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRh63S-D548

lol, I don't remember this poo poo at all. wtf

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah it does that during the second phase for some reason and it makes no sense

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It does not hold up IMHO

It holds up as terrible just fine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Andrast posted:

It holds up as terrible just fine

True enough

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Please post more of your erotic Sonic fanfiction.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mega64 posted:

Please post more of your erotic Sonic fanfiction.
Great,

Now he'll show us

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I obtain a legit early physical copy of smash and play it offline will I be banned from something by Nintendo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

dividertabs posted:

I'm playing Mario Tennis again while waiting for Smash. It's just been patched it so that the online tournament uses random courts (with no hazards) rather than Marina Stadium every time. Matches have been shortened to 2 games, then a tiebreaker game, which unfortunately makes it much less common to KO opponents.

Oh cool. I'll have to check it out, but last time I played took me ages to find a match. Splatoon being that much faster is more worth the while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If I obtain a legit early physical copy of smash and play it offline will I be banned from something by Nintendo

No

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Honestly no one knows. Your system will still collect telemetry about when you played the game, even if it is a legit retail copy.

No one knows what Nintendo will do with that data when you eventually put your switch back online.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Beat Steamworld Dig 2 yesterday after picking it up in the Black Friday sales.

Very cool game but short, and no NG+! Glad I got it on sale. It said I took 7 hours but I could've done it in ~4, I think, if I had beelined for the objectives.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly no one knows. Your system will still collect telemetry about when you played the game, even if it is a legit retail copy.

No one knows what Nintendo will do with that data when you eventually put your switch back online.

I doubt Nintendo care all that much, because broken release dates happen, and it's not exactly like there's a big trend of pirates raiding shipments of games in transit just to get them a few days early.

Well except that one time with a shipment of Splatoon in the UK.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Willo567 posted:

Having a bunch of games with you without having to actually have them on you in a carrying case or whatever, and not having to swap out carts if I want to play a different game. This is especially handy while travelling. It saves a lot of space. I like it in particular for games that I come back to a lot, like Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash, etc. Not so much games I beat and consider myself done with, but games I end up coming back to over and over. Animal Crossing would be another prime example of a game I would much rather have downloaded, ditto for Pokemon.

As to your second point, what would happen is you would lose access to your games, yeah. As to worries about the system bricking... it's Nintendo. Their poo poo lasts. I figure by the time that needs to be a worry, I either won't be interested in playing those games anymore, or emulation will have reached the point where I still can if I want to. :shrug: We're talking about like a couple decades down the line, probably. Nintendo only recently shut down download service for the Wii and the DS.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I am a big fan of being able to decide to buy something, and then buying it, and then playing it while skipping the “drive to a store” or “wait 2+ days for delivery” steps.

I’m not a collector or archivist and years of experience have taught me that I lose, give away, or get rid of physical media and systems long before their online/digital aspects stop working. And I don’t have the patience or care to resell physical media. So my digital collections have had longer longevity than my physical purchases.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Willo567 posted:

The same thing you do with the other consoles. Hack them and put whatever game you want on it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

I am a big fan of being able to decide to buy something, and then buying it, and then playing it while skipping the “drive to a store” or “wait 2+ days for delivery” steps.

I’m not a collector or archivist and years of experience have taught me that I lose, give away, or get rid of physical media and systems long before their online/digital aspects stop working. And I don’t have the patience or care to resell physical media. So my digital collections have had longer longevity than my physical purchases.

This and the fact that I've literally never failed to regret selling a game or console at some point afterward.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt Nintendo care all that much, because broken release dates happen, and it's not exactly like there's a big trend of pirates raiding shipments of games in transit just to get them a few days early.

Well except that one time with a shipment of Splatoon in the UK.

They did ban a bunch of (allegedly) legit owners of Pokémon Sun/Moon (or was it X/Y?) when there was that pirated leak, but that may have been coincidental. They were going after the pirates on that one. If Smash doesn't leak online for pirates, I don't imagine they'd go looking for bans. Even still, I'd be sure I was in airplane mode until release date just to be safe.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Every Switch cart has a unique key so they can easily distinguish between pirates and early physical copy havers if they want to, since the pirates will appear on their end to be thousands of people playing with the same cart.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Celeste is so good ya'll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

Celeste is so good ya'll