Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

K8.0 posted:

If you want specific things on specific monitors the answers get more complicated and app dependent.

That is indeed exactly what I want. I play some games on my monitor, some on my TV. Wasn't an issue until now as I just used screen cloning. However I can't use that any more and many older (and even some new, heh) games won't let you pick a monitor to run on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you can run the games that you want on the secondary monitor in windowed/borderless mode (and there are utilities that let you force a window to be borderless, and in some cases ways to force a fullscreen game into a borderless window), then you can usually shove it around with win+shift+arrow keys. If you can't do that or don't want to, you are probably going to have to do something like make a script that switches which monitor is primary and use that to launch the game. AFAIK there isn't a single, flawless, no compromises required solution.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Basically the only elegant solution to this is get another computer that you want to run the other specific games on.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mr. Neutron posted:

That is indeed exactly what I want. I play some games on my monitor, some on my TV. Wasn't an issue until now as I just used screen cloning. However I can't use that any more and many older (and even some new, heh) games won't let you pick a monitor to run on.

DisplayFusion triggers should let you do this. You can set up a separate trigger for each of your games that you need special handling for, and have DisplayFusion force-move them to the display output of your choice. Not sure how capable it is of overriding games that feel they need to force themselves to run on a given monitor, but it's worth a shot.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm getting the annoying issues where i wake my computer from sleep and all the windows have shrunk to 1024x768. none of the answers i've found have been definitive and its super annoying... steam also actually maximizes its window.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Yeah, the Dell monitors are great in every department except that some revisions of them don't really follow displayport protocol correctly. When the monitor goes to sleep the PC thinks it has disconnected completely so it immediately forgets all window positions and sizes and defaults to whatever Windows' default res is. I have 2 Dell p2415q monitors, one was rev1 and one rev3. The rev3 performs correctly, I got the rev1 RMA'd and received a rev2 one which seems ok sometimes but not all the time.

YMMV with your model of monitor, if it has further revisions at all, but it is Dell's fault for not implementing the protocol correctly. I guess most just put up with it, it's a minor niggle really. Since I have dual 4k monitors I just use winkey+left/right/up/down to position and resize windows to a quadrant when they get out of place if it occurs.

Edit: I'm guessing your old one didn't have this issue because it was DVI instead of DP, right?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm getting the annoying issues where i wake my computer from sleep and all the windows have shrunk to 1024x768. none of the answers i've found have been definitive and its super annoying... steam also actually maximizes its window.

Check for a HDMI or DisplayPort "deep sleep" setting on the monitor depending on what you have it plugged in with and disable it if you find one.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Budgie posted:

Yeah, the Dell monitors are great in every department except that some revisions of them don't really follow displayport protocol correctly. When the monitor goes to sleep the PC thinks it has disconnected completely so it immediately forgets all window positions and sizes and defaults to whatever Windows' default res is. I have 2 Dell p2415q monitors, one was rev1 and one rev3. The rev3 performs correctly, I got the rev1 RMA'd and received a rev2 one which seems ok sometimes but not all the time.

YMMV with your model of monitor, if it has further revisions at all, but it is Dell's fault for not implementing the protocol correctly. I guess most just put up with it, it's a minor niggle really. Since I have dual 4k monitors I just use winkey+left/right/up/down to position and resize windows to a quadrant when they get out of place if it occurs.

Edit: I'm guessing your old one didn't have this issue because it was DVI instead of DP, right?

Nope the Dell 2311H has a DP port. I'm guessing this is more of a Windows issue than my monitor and it's more likely that Windows didn't clean up something.

From what I read online there's some entry in the registry that sets the resolution to 1024x768 and when you install new drivers/monitor it still reads the old one. My registry has about 50 entries or so so it makes it difficult to figure out.. maybe back it up by exporting the entire tree, delete it, start over and restore from backup if it fucks up...

Indiana_Krom posted:

Check for a HDMI or DisplayPort "deep sleep" setting on the monitor depending on what you have it plugged in with and disable it if you find one.

I disabled it. Let's see if that stops the issue. Thanks.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Can we ask about TVs here? I'm looking for a good value budget 4k TV with low input lag for gaming to put into my home office for couch gaming (ps4 pro and switch) & media watching.

Also in addition to that, I'm in the market for a 24 inch g-sync 144hz or 240hz display in the near future if anyone has suggestions there.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2018

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Can we ask about TVs here? I'm looking for a good value budget 4k TV with low input lag for gaming to put into my home office for couch gaming (ps4 pro and switch) & media watching.

Unless you are looking for smaller or cheaper, the tcl 6 series (r615/r617) is a 55 inch powerhouse of a tv with incredibly low input lag and full array backlighting with is unheard of at its price. There is a tv thread in the "inspect your gadgets" forum though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Spacedad posted:

Also in addition to that, I'm in the market for a 24 inch g-sync 144hz or 240hz display in the near future if anyone has suggestions there.

As mem said, there's a TV thread in IYG. The OP is old but it's very much an active thread. They'll tell you to get OLED if you can afford it though, but for a TV that actually kinda makes sense (maybe). In addition to that, Rtings.com has good TV reviews.

As for 24" high refresh rate displays with G-sync, they exist but they almost exclusively use TN panels (maybe there's some more or less sketchy VA available too, idk). If you want actually good high refresh rate displays you need to look at 27" ones.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So, I've learned you can use activate freesync with an nvidia gpu. Has anyone tried this? I'm looking for a 27" monitor, and g-sync ones are too pricey.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Budgie posted:

Yeah, the Dell monitors are great in every department except that some revisions of them don't really follow displayport protocol correctly.
Annoyingly, they actually are behaving correctly according to the spec. The spec says that the monitor must be ready to communicate on the DP_AUX line at any time the monitor present signal is asserted. The problem is that when they go to "Deep Sleep" they shut down the controller that talks on DP_AUX, so by the spec they must drop the monitor present signal.

The spec does not require that monitors always assert that signal when connected, which is dumb as poo poo.

Strong Sauce posted:

From what I read online there's some entry in the registry that sets the resolution to 1024x768 and when you install new drivers/monitor it still reads the old one. My registry has about 50 entries or so so it makes it difficult to figure out.. maybe back it up by exporting the entire tree, delete it, start over and restore from backup if it fucks up...
No, it's not a Windows issue.

What that registry key controls is the size of the default desktop, which is what Windows uses when it doesn't detect any monitors attached. Changing it to match your monitor's dimensions doesn't actually solve the bad behavior of the monitor, it just basically hacks around the symptoms by making the default desktop match the real thing. The monitor is still telling the computer it's not there anymore, but the computer no longer sees a reason to rearrange the desktop.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sprite141 posted:

So, I've learned you can use activate freesync with an nvidia gpu. Has anyone tried this? I'm looking for a 27" monitor, and g-sync ones are too pricey.

Last I heard, you could only accomplish this by exploiting a lovely bug and you also needed an AMD GPU sitting alongside your Nvidia card to do so. Don't do this thing, just wait for prices to go down/hold off buying things until you have more money.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sprite141 posted:

I haven't tried it myself but it was widely reported to work a few months ago. That said it seems pretty janky in general. You do need a freesync capable AMD GPU in your system, so either you need one of the Ryzen APU's (which don't really have great CPU's - there are no high-end Ryzens with integrated graphics), or a dedicated AMD GPU in addition to your Nvidia one. The APU variant is better because if you have a dedicated GPU then it'll only work in games that let you choose the GPU to render on in-game (with the APU you can set it for all games in Windows). See here for more details.

27" IPS G-sync monitors aren't even that expensive anymore, the XB271HU has almost been touching $500 recently. Like, yeah, $500 is quite a bit of money but it's around the price you'd need to pay for a GPU that would make it worth it to purchase such a monitor in the first place, and monitors last one hell of a lot longer than GPU's do. I think my old Dell 2311H was around $220 new (something like that) when I bought it in 2010, and I only retired it earlier this year.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2018

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

mem posted:

Unless you are looking for smaller or cheaper, the tcl 6 series (r615/r617) is a 55 inch powerhouse of a tv with incredibly low input lag and full array backlighting with is unheard of at its price. There is a tv thread in the "inspect your gadgets" forum though.

Good to know. But the size of the 6 series is overkill for my room. Someone suggested to me the 43 inch TCL 5-series, which is going for $350 on amazon right now. It has really great input lag for gaming too. I'm more than likely going to go with that.

TheFluff posted:

As mem said, there's a TV thread in IYG. The OP is old but it's very much an active thread. They'll tell you to get OLED if you can afford it though, but for a TV that actually kinda makes sense (maybe). In addition to that, Rtings.com has good TV reviews.

As for 24" high refresh rate displays with G-sync, they exist but they almost exclusively use TN panels (maybe there's some more or less sketchy VA available too, idk). If you want actually good high refresh rate displays you need to look at 27" ones.

Yeah, I found the IYG thread. Thanks. :)

And thanks for the tip on the display size. Any suggested models?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Spacedad posted:

There are only two 240 Hz gsync displays on the market IIRC, Acer sells one and Asus sells the other (they use the same panel and gsync, so they are pretty much identical other than the stand). Both are TN, I have the Asus model myself (PG258Q), its fine, it gets the job done, the contrast is acceptable, the color accuracy is actually quite reasonable, and it can be very bright (over 400cd/m2). The 27" Acer XB271HU bmiprz is a better display, but in the heat of the moment in a high action game at 200+ FPS the 240 Hz TNs can do their thing undeniably better than any other display on the market. And because the 240 Hz ones are 1080p, odds of reaching 200+ FPS are higher on them than on a 2560x1440 display like the XB271HU but it won't be *that* much higher with an appropriate video card and the drop down to 144-165 Hz target refresh cuts some slack on the CPU. Feeding a 1080p/240 Hz display is basically harder than doing 2160p/60 Hz in just about every way, it is the same number of pixels per second but everything else has to happen 4 times faster.

Basically you wouldn't regret buying either a PG258Q or a XB271HU.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Alright so I got one of the fancy pants XB271HU 144hz monitors and holy poo poo the smoothness has made me much better at killing. I'm uniformly awful at games but I'm noticably reacting faster than a bunch of my opponents in Black Ops 4. Very cool.

I did ramp the saturation up to 110. I was surprised at how washed out the colours looked initially but I guess I raised the saturation on my previous monitor and it's skewed my perception on how things should look. I just like my games to be colourful and fun v:v:v

EE: Turns out I got the Acer Predator XB271HUA which is a TN panel and not IPS :doh: That'll teach me to get confused by all the different variants. Eh, I don't mind, the smoothness of it all makes it all a-ok.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 2, 2018

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The power supply if my 2014 Asus PG278Q (M270Q002 V0) died and holy hell is getting a new one in Germany a slug.
I phoned ASUS support and they suggested me an „official“ 3rd party online store (IPC Computer), where the supply is €56 Euro tagged :argh:
Cheaper than a new monitor tho.

Alternatively you can buy from this international shop for 1/2 of that price:

https://www.laptop-ac-adapter.de/diesen-shop.html (Text is English).

I played 2 days without Gsync and I could never ever go back. My Battlefield V results took a brutal dip and I died like three times as often. Forza Horizon 4 felt poo poo on my non Gsync backup monitor.

I never thought about the importance of Gsync for my playing experience and immersion the last 4 years, it is a completely other level of gaming.

If you got some Xmas money spare, consider buying a Gsync (or Freesync, but afaik it’s a a little inferior) display, it’s a night and say experience.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I thought that having a TV hooked up to your PC was not so strange in 2018 but apparently game devs think otherwise. The amount of modern games that don't let you choose which monitor to run on is staggering. A few I have been able to force via Windowed Borderless utility but some are simply no go.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

TheFluff posted:

I haven't tried it myself but it was widely reported to work a few months ago. That said it seems pretty janky in general. You do need a freesync capable AMD GPU in your system, so either you need one of the Ryzen APU's (which don't really have great CPU's - there are no high-end Ryzens with integrated graphics), or a dedicated AMD GPU in addition to your Nvidia one. The APU variant is better because if you have a dedicated GPU then it'll only work in games that let you choose the GPU to render on in-game (with the APU you can set it for all games in Windows). See here for more details.

27" IPS G-sync monitors aren't even that expensive anymore, the XB271HU has almost been touching $500 recently. Like, yeah, $500 is quite a bit of money but it's around the price you'd need to pay for a GPU that would make it worth it to purchase such a monitor in the first place, and monitors last one hell of a lot longer than GPU's do. I think my old Dell 2311H was around $220 new (something like that) when I bought it in 2010, and I only retired it earlier this year.

Apparently you can do with just the amd software, and telling it to use the nvidia gpu in games. Sounds questionable, and it probably is! Still, 500$ is way too much for your average person to shoot for. So I'll probably just suck it up and get a regular 27" monitor instead.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sprite141 posted:

Apparently you can do with just the amd software, and telling it to use the nvidia gpu in games. Sounds questionable, and it probably is! Still, 500$ is way too much for your average person to shoot for. So I'll probably just suck it up and get a regular 27" monitor instead.

Not requiring an AMD GPU would be more than I know and I'd be interested in reading about how it'd work, if you have a link handy.

As I said, I agree that $500 is expensive, but in relation to the $1000-ish system you need to really take advantage of a monitor like that I don't think it's all that unreasonable. The monitor will almost certainly outlast most of the rest of the system. If you have a 1070 or below it's hard to push high frame rates at 1440p in new AAA games. If you play less demanding games that still benefit from high frame rates (e.g. Overwatch, CS:GO etc) then you don't need G-sync, just get a regular 144Hz display instead and run the game at the monitor's refresh rate.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2018

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Amazon DOTD has the Dell Alienware AW3418HW (1080p) and AW3418DW (1440p) at its lowest prices listed. $679.99/$799.99 respectively. Will arrive before Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-LED-lit-AW3418HW/dp/B0777RY75V/ref=as_li_ss_tluage=en_US?th=1

Indiana_Krom posted:

This seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks.

wolrah posted:

Annoyingly, they actually are behaving correctly according to the spec. The spec says that the monitor must be ready to communicate on the DP_AUX line at any time the monitor present signal is asserted. The problem is that when they go to "Deep Sleep" they shut down the controller that talks on DP_AUX, so by the spec they must drop the monitor present signal.

The spec does not require that monitors always assert that signal when connected, which is dumb as poo poo.

No, it's not a Windows issue.

What that registry key controls is the size of the default desktop, which is what Windows uses when it doesn't detect any monitors attached. Changing it to match your monitor's dimensions doesn't actually solve the bad behavior of the monitor, it just basically hacks around the symptoms by making the default desktop match the real thing. The monitor is still telling the computer it's not there anymore, but the computer no longer sees a reason to rearrange the desktop.

But this doesn't seem to happen to me for Macs? If I do set the default to be the actual size of the desktop wouldn't that fix the issue I'm seeing?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

TheFluff posted:

Not requiring an AMD GPU would be more than I know and I'd be interested in reading about how it'd work, if you have a link handy.

As I said, I agree that $500 is expensive, but in relation to the $1000-ish system you need to really take advantage of a monitor like that I don't think it's all that unreasonable. The monitor will almost certainly outlast most of the rest of the system. If you have a 1070 or below it's hard to push high frame rates at 1440p in new AAA games. If you play less demanding games that still benefit from high frame rates (e.g. Overwatch, CS:GO etc) then you don't need G-sync, just get a regular 144Hz display instead and run the game at the monitor's refresh rate.

I just re-read the article. You do need a dedicated amd card, they just worded it as though the method was an alternate to requiring one. Or maybe I skimmed it first time around, which is also the case.

A monitor being over half my computer's cost is kinda staggering to think about, but honestly that's just be me being too cautious. You are right that it will end up outlasting the rest of the computer, and is probably the best long term investment out of all of it. Besides, I bought a 1070ti so I might as well bush to use it. After all, it's either that or snag a cheap 1080p and just wait for the g-sync monitors to be more affordable. Which they probably won't, since it's the proprietary poo poo that's making them expensive.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sprite141 posted:

I just re-read the article. You do need a dedicated amd card, they just worded it as though the method was an alternate to requiring one. Or maybe I skimmed it first time around, which is also the case.

A monitor being over half my computer's cost is kinda staggering to think about, but honestly that's just be me being too cautious. You are right that it will end up outlasting the rest of the computer, and is probably the best long term investment out of all of it. Besides, I bought a 1070ti so I might as well bush to use it. After all, it's either that or snag a cheap 1080p and just wait for the g-sync monitors to be more affordable. Which they probably won't, since it's the proprietary poo poo that's making them expensive.

To be clear here, I don't want to pressure you into making financially irresponsible decisions :shobon:

The thing is though, a 27" 144Hz 1440p IPS monitor without G-sync is still expensive, if you can find one at all (some models that used to exist seem to have been discontinued). There was some Samsung curved VA panel that was on sale for around $450 or something like that recently, but that's about it. Prices have slowly been coming down though, the XB271HU used to be $750 or something and now the list price is $600. Again, a lot of money, not arguing that, but it's less steep than it used to be.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 4, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sprite141 posted:

Using freesync with NVidia requires using the NVidia card to do the processing and an AMD card/APU for the output. Unfortunately, while Windows will let you select a different processing card with an APU output, there's no way to assign the two tasks to two discrete cards unless the game offers the option in it's menus. That's why when the workaround was originally discovered it only worked with AMD APUs (which are relatively weak processors) or with a small number of specific games. Apparently someone is currently working on a utility to expose GPU selection, but I'm not sure how well it works yet, so I probably wouldn't count on it while making a monitor purchasing decision.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 4, 2018

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever seen a narrow (10-pixel-wide) vertical column get drawn at the far left of the screen, instead of in the middle of the screen where it should be? At first I thought I was reading a website with broken css because some text was compressed but everything else looked fine.

My AOC AG271QG has done that twice since I got it last month, both times when waking up from a 8+ hour sleep. Changing the refresh from 144hz to 120hz (and going back) in the nVidia control panel, and cycling the power have each corrected the issue.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
What happened to the 65" G-Sync monitors? I remember almost a year ago a bunch of articles announcing the BFGD gaming monitor experience. And now nothing. You'd think they would have wanted the large format displays ready for sale for the Christmas shopping season. Wonder what happened?

If they are developing a curved 65" G-Sync I could understand that. But in this case I'm puzzled.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

monsterzero posted:

Has anyone ever seen a narrow (10-pixel-wide) vertical column get drawn at the far left of the screen, instead of in the middle of the screen where it should be? At first I thought I was reading a website with broken css because some text was compressed but everything else looked fine.

My AOC AG271QG has done that twice since I got it last month, both times when waking up from a 8+ hour sleep. Changing the refresh from 144hz to 120hz (and going back) in the nVidia control panel, and cycling the power have each corrected the issue.

This was an issue with early Acer and ASUS 1440/144 IPS gsync monitors, too (I think they're the same panel and maybe the same hardware). They fixed it with a firmware update, but if you had one of the early models you had to send it in for an update at their expense. I'm not sure if the firmware update program is still running, but you could check with AOC.

On the plus side, it's easy to fix by cycling the power and it's relatively infrequent - I never bothered to get my firmware updated.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! I just found some posts about the Acer/ASUS screens and it looks like the same issue. HWiNFO64 thinks its build date is the last week of 2016, but the chassis says 4/18 so maybe old firmware. I'll definitely get in touch with AOC.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

monsterzero posted:

The acer I bought new in august does this too, glad to know it's not just me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys aren't talking about the real time FPS indicator on the Asus display right? It looks like that.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Nope. My AOC doesn't have any fancy features, it barely has anything beyond brightness/contrast in the on-screen menus.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

You guys aren't talking about the real time FPS indicator on the Asus display right? It looks like that.

No, this is an issue where a few lines of pixels from the middle of the screen end up at the edge of screen. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often - usually after waking from sleep or switching resolution/input mode etc. - and it's easy to fix by turning the monitor off and back on. It's weird that it's still showing up in new monitors since they had a whole expensive (in shipping terms) firmware update program a few years ago.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Stickman posted:

No, this is an issue where a few lines of pixels from the middle of the screen end up at the edge of screen. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often - usually after waking from sleep or switching resolution/input mode etc. - and it's easy to fix by turning the monitor off and back on. It's weird that it's still showing up in new monitors since they had a whole expensive (in shipping terms) firmware update program a few years ago.

Is that what that is? I had that happen once on my XB271HU I got recently.

I do seem to have a second inconsistent issue with my monitor that no one else seems to have. On the right side of the screen when viewed from the direct center of the monitor, the edge area of the screen sometimes appears to be darker than the rest of the monitor. When viewed from directly in front of the affected area, it appears normal. Whats even weirder is that this is only noticeable on white or light grey screens, like on the forums. I don't notice it at all in games or during movies. It reminds me a lot of the darkening you get with a TN panel when viewed from a slightly bad angle.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/1070362845186088960

this "two cables for one monitor" thing seems oddly familiar for some reason

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TheFluff posted:

this "two cables for one monitor" thing seems oddly familiar for some reason

It's been done before when panel technology got ahead of connector bandwidth, Dells 8K monitor uses 2x DP1.4 for example.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

quote:

Acer’s Predator XB273K will hit the North American market in the fourth quarter, in time for holiday season. In the U.S., the LCD will cost $1,299, whereas in Europe it is going to carry a €1,499 ($1,749 tax included) price tag.

:negative:

Article is from end of August, so I guess this isn't news, but drat.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
This is probably an insanely dumb question. I think I'm about to spring for one of those bmirpz Predator monitors, but with the QA issues I've read about, will I be able to properly test that I don't have a defective one if my system can't really push it to what it's capable of within the return period? I'm sitting with a system from 2012 (gtx 660ti) and won't be getting a new PC until Spring of next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

the last signal... posted:

This is probably an insanely dumb question. I think I'm about to spring for one of those bmirpz Predator monitors, but with the QA issues I've read about, will I be able to properly test that I don't have a defective one if my system can't really push it to what it's capable of within the return period? I'm sitting with a system from 2012 (gtx 660ti) and won't be getting a new PC until Spring of next year.

Maybe you should wait until you’re closer to your build? Those monitors should only get cheaper with time.

Should.