Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

It's just because bank imports make this ten times easier. You lose nothing because you have to approve each transaction manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah I’m still doing everything manually but when I miss entering some lunch I got or double enter it or something, having the import there speeds things up quite a bit, especially when you’re reconciling every day or so

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
It’s ten times easier and one tenth as useful. The point of YNAB is to get you to think about your purchases in relation to your budget, and this just allows you to coast. Your numbers will never quite be current even if you import every few days—and you won’t import every few days, you’ll import once or twice a month and approve everything because you can’t remember what you spent well enough to question the bank’s records. It’s harder to spot errors, to catch yourself before overspending a category, and to categorize accurately.

They had no choice but to add the feature, but it encourages disengagement with the budget. I’m not surprised they sent out a newsletter today with an essay encouraging people to try manual entry.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

We've had this discussion so many times its lost all meaning. Maybe its better to be entirely manual for the first month. Maybe its better for you to be entirely manual. But after two years of this, not having auto import is a deal killer for some people including myself. The simple fact is having the option makes people like me happy and makes other people happy if they just don't enable it. If its early in the month and I don't care that my numbers aren't current, fine. If its late in the month and I do care, I'll put some in manually and let the bank confirm it. Even if the bank JUST fills out the Payee information correctly, that's a huge help with automatic categorizing.

I think the real issue here is you assume people will import once or twice a month with bank imports. That's going to cause problems no matter what. I import every morning, reconcile every Friday. Its baffling to me why people DON'T do this, but I understand, maybe not all banks are as consistent as mine. But to say its not useful is simply not true, again, for me.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Eh, fair enough if you import/reconcile religiously. I doubt most people bother; it’s just too easy to let the software do everything.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yes great point about reconciling, a bunch of people who I assumed were using this correctly very rarely bothered to do it. And of course the longer you go without it, the harder it is. It would be nice if YNAB hounded you about not reconciling regularly. I'll add that to the list of features in my imaginary ideal version of this software.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

epenthesis posted:

Eh, fair enough if you import/reconcile religiously. I doubt most people bother; it’s just too easy to let the software do everything.

Why would you even bother using the software if you're not actually going to, you know, use it?

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!

listrada posted:

Why would you even bother using the software if you're not actually going to, you know, use it?

You ever join a gym?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I require the shame of manually punching in the numbers on my poor decisions to maintain good decision making so I still do everything manually. I've been using YNAB since the early days so I would feel weird doing it any other way.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

One of life's greatest joys is making a purchase, manually logging it in the app, then watching as the category balance drops down to juuuuuust above $0.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I just wanted to see what I'm buying at Amazon per year, I noticed nYNAB still doesn't have Spending by Payee in the reports. What the gently caress am I paying them for again?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I just wanted to see what I'm buying at Amazon per year, I noticed nYNAB still doesn't have Spending by Payee in the reports. What the gently caress am I paying them for again?

Did they ever have this? I remember one of the services I’ve used in the past do this. I’m surprised YNAB Toolkit hasn’t gotten this implemented yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Old YNAB4 definitely had it.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
The YNAB toolkit extension has a Spending by Payee report, if I'm not mistaken.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Reporting in YNAB4 is actually good.

Wife and I both use it regularly to shame each other by adjusting it until our personal categories take up large parts of a pie chart.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Income vs Expense is the only one I tend to look at anyway, it's the most helpful.

Spending by Payee would be useful if auto-import didn't completely clutter up your payee list with a ton of duplicates, yeah I could fix it when I import but I don't use that report anyway and tend to direct my attention to my categories rather than who I paid.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

YNAB4 reporting - specifically the income vs. expense report - was crucial in my number crunching to make sure I could afford buying the house I was looking at.

Unfortunately YNAB doesn't have any way of accounting for everything that needs to be fixed immediately :suicide:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hopped over to budgetwise. Theres a lot of stuff missing, but once things like charts and reports get implemented, I'm probably doing the $99 lifetime option. I'm tired of subscriptions.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

buglord posted:

Hopped over to budgetwise. Theres a lot of stuff missing, but once things like charts and reports get implemented, I'm probably doing the $99 lifetime option. I'm tired of subscriptions.

First I’ve heard of budgetwise after using YNAB for a few years. My student subscription is running out soon and the $99 lifetime appeals to me.

What I like about ynab is auto import and ability to adjust budget on a whim if needed. I also like being able to do things on my iphone thru an app or desktop if needed. How does budget wise really differ?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ha ha ha ha ha haha how are fuckin credit accounts still so goddamned broken like a year and a half since nYNAB launched? I switched jobs and moved last month and had to do some dumb stuff like draining a good chunk of my emergency fund and also rolling some credit card balance because I had to overspend a couple categories

No big deal, because nYNAB is set to handle this, and overspending on credit accounts will create a line item for me to have to budget against next month when I start getting paychecks again

Except it just didn’t count any of my overspending. In October, I’ve got like six or seven categories that are in yellow because I overspent, but then my budget for November says “-0.00 overspent in Oct”

Good product great job

Now I need to untangle this fuckin knot or maybe just fresh start it for two months or something

E: said gently caress it, went back to October and zeroes out all the overspent categories

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2018

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

How do people handle paying and claiming back large medical/dental expenses? I have a procedure this month which I will need to pay upfront this month in two instalments, but my insurer has already agreed to cover almost all of it. The payments will be by credit card, but the reimbursment will be by cheque. Last time I claimed the cheque only took a few days to be posted to me but obviously I can't guarantee when it will arrive, and it will likely span months in YNAB (2nd payment will be on 30th November), check will come in December.

My current idea is to budget enough to cover the full cost from savings and allocate it to medical expenses. I'll then pay off the CC balance using the savings, and when I get reimbursed, put it into 'to be budgeted' and budget it back to savings. Does that make sense? Are there other ways to do this? What if I didn't have all the money available in savings?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Not medical/dental but the way I handle my work expenses is I have a category for "Work Expenses". I usually use my credit card for these. I pay them normally and if the expense goes into the next month before I submit for reimbursement, I just use the carryover feature (the red arrow). When I get reimbursed, I just budget the reimbursement as an inflow into "Work Expenses" so the reimbursements never factor in as "income" and ruin reports.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
That sounds mostly right to me, though I’d probably put the reimbursement into medical expenses then transfer the category budget amount into TBB after, so your reports are closer to the amount you actually spent.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
If I know a large one-off is coming up for work or medical, I make a separate tempotary budget category for that expense and fund it ahead of time. Then when I have to pay for it, I move the money over from the temp category to my more general category for work or medical or whatever is appropriate. If it's reimbursed, that money goes into To Be Budgeted when I receive it.

It's roughly in line with the Wish Farm idea, although I only make a category when I know I need it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yup, those are the two options; pay for it out of savings, by transferring from savings to the expense category, then put the reimbursement into your savings, or set the category as 'ongoing' and carry it as debt against yourself until you get the reimbursement, and pay it down with the reimbursement.

Given that YNAB cares about expenses, but treats all income as fungible, the first way is probably more correct, as it accurately reflects what you're really doing; paying for it with money you have on hand, then keeping the reimbursement. The second way is not accurate to reality, because it treats the outlay as 'virtual' so to speak; you're telling YNAB you'll pay on Tuesday for a hamburger you're eating today, which isn't quite correct.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
An aspect of that approach that really works for me is that for similar trips I can get either no, partial, or full reimbursement or even a separate 1099. Until I started treating the money as disconnected income, accounting for reimbursement was the most complicated part of my budget.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks all, I'll stick with my plan then although might transfer it in and back out of medical as suggested so my report doesn't think I actually spent the money long term.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

In nYNAB, do you guys take money from TBB and apply it to over-budget line items, or just leave it red?

I started out doing the former, but the last few months I've been just leaving them red, mostly so I can go back to previous months and easily see which categories I overspent on. I'm not living paycheck-to-paycheck, so having the over-budget categories just pull from next month's TBB seems fine to me.

This also means that I can do a "use budgeted values from last month" and not having to worry about that extra $1000 I had to apply to Guns to come over to the next month and have to manually correct it.

Honestly I really miss the red forward arrow of YNAB4. I don't know why that just isn't an option :sigh:

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I cover overspending with funds from other categories immediately, and budget all TBB income into categories for the next month. I get paid biweekly so month-to-month income varies.

At the start of a month I check toolkit reports to see my month-to-month spending trends and fiddle with my budget category goals accordingly.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is nYNAB the best budget app out there? I asked in the newbie thread and they said goon consensus is still nYNAB or Financier.

Thoughts?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

nYNAB is OK, so long you don't go expecting big changes in functionality over the next decade. For that you have to install a third party extension. If the mobile app wasn't unmaintained, I'd say you'd probably be better off trying to go through the trouble to get a serial for YNAB4 somewhere. Unless you want direct imports.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Having auto imports is worth the price of admission when you have a wife that doesn’t put anything in on the spot.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
In honor of everyone needing a BJ now, i did the absolute minimal work required to update the OP with links that don't work. I also proofread. Some.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Gothmog1065 posted:

i did the absolute minimal work required

Have you considered changing to a subscription model?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Xik posted:

Have you considered changing to a subscription model?

It depends on how many people I can sucker into paying. Once they're in I'll just constantly raise the prices.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any expats using YNAB?

Wondering how you deal with having transactions in different countries. Right now I have two different budgets, but it's making it hard to get that big-picture look at my spending.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any expats using YNAB?

Wondering how you deal with having transactions in different countries. Right now I have two different budgets, but it's making it hard to get that big-picture look at my spending.

Yeah it's a pain (I'm using YNAB 4). Do you have investments and regular transactions in USD plus whatever local currency? You'll probably have to cobble together some kind of spreadsheet to give you an overview but that sounds like a loving drag. I'm pretty settled in now so 99% of everything I do is in Swiss francs except for holidays and we just use converted values for the CC transactions and enter the ATM withdrawals as "Holiday cash" since it'll all get spent while we're out of the country anyway. On longer trips I'll cobble together a Google sheets thing on my phone to keep track of our spending.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m looking into PocketSmith which has multi currency support. It’ll automatically convert your holdings into a base currency and show you a global overview.

The subscription model is kind of a pain in the rear end and I’m not really digging how it handles transactions but this is might just be me being used to YNAB.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Quick question for your guys - how often do you use the mobile app vs the website? I prefer to use the web page for practically everything since it seems easier to work with for me but I wonder if I'm a weirdo and everyone else uses the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

FateFree posted:

Quick question for your guys - how often do you use the mobile app vs the website? I prefer to use the web page for practically everything since it seems easier to work with for me but I wonder if I'm a weirdo and everyone else uses the app?

YNAB has a webpage? I use the desktop and mobile apps, daily.