Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Easy Diff posted:

I played and cried at EiA 1, now my loving chest is hitching and I'm almost in tears at 2, because it's so loving accurate.
Getting carried is fine, you follow your M6 DH friends, get gold and DBs, and then in like 2 Rifts you have like 4 Zuni's pieces or whatever between drops and Kadala. On Hardcore (dunno if Switch has HC mode), it's an extra level of fun because you have to not die while hoovering up items.

I found it pretty hard to connect or like either parties in eia 1. Main character especially was just very adolescent and generally spineless. If you haven't tried Bury Me, My Love you may be interested. It's another IM based narrative game but on android/iphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I found it pretty hard to connect or like either parties in eia 1. Main character especially was just very adolescent and generally spineless. If you haven't tried Bury Me, My Love you may be interested. It's another IM based narrative game but on android/iphone.

yah but i was a spineless adolescent in 2004 so :shrug:

John Murdoch posted:

It really bugs me when people say this because it's not really true and makes the game sound awful. While D3 has the most accessible endgame of any ARPG out there IMO, the journey through story mode (bad writing aside) is fun enough on its own, particularly if you're playing casually.
Sorry you are completely wrong the story is awful, and going through it is awful. The sooner you can get someone to beat Maltheal for you and open up adventure mode and never, ever touch campaign mode again, the better. Also having less than a full bar of skills and less then all runes unlocked is boring and stupid.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Easy Diff posted:

The sooner you can get someone to beat Maltheal for you

Again, saying poo poo like this makes people not want to play the game at all. Adventure Mode is only a meaningful revelation if all you care about is optimized grinding, which isn't universal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Again, saying poo poo like this makes people not want to play the game at all. Adventure Mode is only a meaningful revelation if all you care about is optimized grinding, which isn't universal.

Hard disagree. Having played since vanilla d3, where you had to play the story over and over, the story flaws only grew and grew.

Play the story once if you want (or are forced to), but it's the drizzling shits from Chris Metzen's "it was corrupted!" rear end in a top hat.

No one who is reasonably invested in the idea of clicking on demons in the most satisfying and polished demon clicker on the market should care or want to spend any more time than is necessary sub-70 or in story mode.

I am a huge D3 advocate, it offers great demon-clicking. But go play Gone Home if you want story.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
lmao

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Being the person who started the latest D3 discussion, I'd like to say I ended up getting the D3 battle chest and am currently playing through the bland, but ok-ish story and enjoying it for what it is: something to make all the clicking less monotonous.

To each their own, ofc.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yeah, D3 is super polarizing. I can't god drat stand it after a few weeks playing it off and on, and I realized why a long time ago in that one, it doesn't fit the tone or mood of a Diablo game and two, it's incredibly, incredibly simple. I genuinely feel like some clicker games have more strategic depth. So yeah, super not my thing, but I'm glad other people can enjoy what I can't :)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

OK, looking to put a little dent in my backlog, I promised myself I would only buy 1 game in the Winter sale for each one I finish before then. What of these recent releases can I play and beat in one 6-hour-ish (or less) sitting?

ECHO is fairly short. 6 hours would probably get you from start to finish.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I probably would have enjoyed Diablo 3 more if I didn't know beforehand that it was Chris Metzen writing the story, because he can only write one story so you know from the very start how it's going to progress and end. If it had been anyone else writing it then I could at least have deluded myself into thinking it could maybe have an unexpected twist before the end.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
D3 is going to get a lot more complicated (if you like builds) in the next season. I mean really if you want complex ARPG's Path of Excel is always there and free on top of it. Ok Path of Exile if you insist :)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I guess it boils down to how much customization you want. The way item sets are set up in D3 it seems like theres only handful of truly viable builds, but the plus side is that these builds are fun to play. Not being able to come up with a customized build bothers some people.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I guess it boils down to how much customization you want. The way item sets are set up in D3 it seems like theres only handful of truly viable builds, but the plus side is that these builds are fun to play. Not being able to come up with a customized build bothers some people.

While in PoE, poo poo like this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyV0kIp5n4

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That's the thing, because of a change in the next season, the amount of viable builds is going to explode for that season.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's the change?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

What's the change?

Should discuss this in the D3 thread but Ring of Royal Grandeur is always on in that season meaning that sets that would normally require six pieces for full benefits until you get the Ring of Royal Grandeur will only need five. That means that there's a ton of armor that you can mix and match right from the start.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nalesh posted:

While in PoE, poo poo like this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyV0kIp5n4

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3DhXSmFPYo
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oH1EGfYoqI

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I need games that I can play while listening to podcasts or YouTube. So something I can do with a little bit of concentration, but I can still play while dividing my attention. Also the gameplay needs to be not super reliant on sound. And a game without super awesome music, so I dont feel guilty about ignoring it. I played through dark souls like this and have a feeling I missed part of the experience, but I could run around and fight and stuff ok.

On the other hand, picross requires too much of my brain power and I end up ignoring the podcast. It's a tough balance!!
Kerbal Space Program is what started me listening to podcasts in the first place.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Maybe it's just that I'm not well versed in ARPGs but isn't this more or less a thing in all of them? D3 certainly suffers from having four sets per class etched in stone, but otherwise people always fall back on cookie cutter endgame builds regardless. I'd love to hear stories of people organically discovering some cool poo poo in an ARPG without outside help. I've certainly never managed it beyond really basic, obvious stuff.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe it's just that I'm not well versed in ARPGs but isn't this more or less a thing in all of them? D3 certainly suffers from having four sets per class etched in stone, but otherwise people always fall back on cookie cutter endgame builds regardless. I'd love to hear stories of people organically discovering some cool poo poo in an ARPG without outside help. I've certainly never managed it beyond really basic, obvious stuff.

Path of Exile is amaaazing for this. There are, of course, the cookie cutter builds (Sunderbois, Skelemancer, Pizza Sticks, LLRF Guardian, Thicc Juggs, etc.!) but every league brings with it new and revamped skills. There are a -ton- of weird, niche builds out there that you can discover on your own - a fair number of people when they're better at the game take a look at the uniques list, find one that sounds interesting, and builds exclusively around it for fun even if it's seen as mediocre or worse!

There's the whole saga of WORMBLASTER through it too, where someone made a build that has since gotten nerfed every league to try and stop its existence because it literally attempts to murder the server, there are dozens of unique skills - some of which only appear on items - to build around, and some of them (Raise Spectre - raises a direct copy of the monster you click on) where that can be a half dozen or more builds on its own. Raise Spectre in particular is amazing because you can go soooo many different routes with it. You can go support spectres with special monkey chieftains, who buff your other minions and you. You can go some laser and lava spewing spectres that can melt any monster in the game with their laser totems. You can get some caged skeletons that cyclone around and spew whirlwinds everywhere, and can either optimize their cyclone damage -or- the tornados they spew.

Hell, take an item like Death's Oath here, people can build around this in a dozen different ways. One of the more popular ways is to take the chaos damage spreading and exploding Occultist - normally a small squishy wizard - and just march through the game while mitigating the self damage from that and combining it with Righteous Fire, a skill that literally sets you on loving fire to passively murder everything you walk through.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All of that sounds cool but then I remember how difficult it is to respec and how little I desire making new characters and running the first two hours of the game over and over again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All of that sounds cool but then I remember how difficult it is to respec and how little I desire making new characters and running the first two hours of the game over and over again.

What? You're given quite a few respec points and there's enough skills that are largely the same to build around but play differently that you can easily try out something else instead of leveling a new character all the time. And once you get far enough along a full respec costs a lot less than the gear it's gonna take to make that work.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've tried PoE a number of times and always bounce off it. It's like EVE; you read about and see all this radical poo poo about endgame raids and pvp and crazy builds, but then actually getting to the point where you can do any of that requires actual for real accounting and grinding, and I don't have time for that crap anymore.

Just let me run through a room at mach 3 turning everything into blood tia

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
PoE definitely seems like the kinda game where you need someone to lead you in the right direction for your first couple of builds.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What should I play if I loved Subnautica and want more of that? Exploring an alien world and being able to build my own base of operations a must; a storyline with an eventual goal is nice but not necessary.

Obvious answers:
- Minecraft, Terraria, and Space Engineers I've played to death.
- Planet Explorers was just really awkward and cumbersome to play and had lots of NPCs blathering at me.
- Fortresscraft Evolved was also pretty clunky, had some frankly bizarre lighting/rendering issues (e.g. the sun going out if you walk down a hill), and was focused more on Factorio-style factory automation.
- No Man's Sky had promise but was killed by a combination of serious bugs, a perplexingly bad UI, and a clunky building system where you assemble things from individual wall panels that was worse than both Subnautica's "plop down entire rooms at a time" and Space Engineers/Minecraft's "build everything out of individual 1m cubes".
- Empyrion, Astroneer, Osiris, and Planet Nomads are still in early access, and Subnautica: Below Zero doesn't even have a release date yet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nalesh posted:

PoE definitely seems like the kinda game where you need someone to lead you in the right direction for your first couple of builds.

What some of its fans like to tell you is that you are supposed to get to endgame at least once by stumbling around and then you'll 'get it'. Well I personally don't have time for all that. Fortunately I think that attitude is dying because PoE's fans can see that it really turns people off from the game.

I just want to run some dungeons, kill some stuff, and get some (better) loot. D3 is perfect for that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicFrog posted:

What should I play if I loved Subnautica and want more of that? Exploring an alien world and being able to build my own base of operations a must; a storyline with an eventual goal is nice but not necessary.

Obvious answers:
- Planet Explorers was just really awkward and cumbersome to play and had lots of NPCs blathering at me.
- Fortresscraft Evolved was also pretty clunky, had some frankly bizarre lighting/rendering issues (e.g. the sun going out if you walk down a hill), and was focused more on Factorio-style factory automation.
- No Man's Sky had promise but was killed by a combination of serious bugs, a perplexingly bad UI, and a clunky building system where you assemble things from individual wall panels that was worse than both Subnautica's "plop down entire rooms at a time" and Space Engineers/Minecraft's "build everything out of individual 1m cubes".
- Empyrion, Astroneer, Osiris, and Planet Nomads are still in early access, and Subnautica: Below Zero doesn't even have a release date yet.

Waking Mars is adjacent to it - no base-building, but it's about gardening on Mars while exploring the storyline and it's very cool.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ToxicFrog posted:

Obvious answers:
Signs of Life is goon made, very good, and can be inadequately described as "Weird Space Terraria".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Waking Mars is adjacent to it - no base-building, but it's about gardening on Mars while exploring the storyline and it's very cool.

It's good -- I finished it a while ago -- but not really what I'm looking for, even if I hadn't already finished it.

Splicer posted:

Signs of Life is goon made, very good, and can be inadequately described as "Weird Space Terraria".

That's already on my wishlist, but it's still in EA as well, isn't it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've tried PoE a number of times and always bounce off it. It's like EVE; you read about and see all this radical poo poo about endgame raids and pvp and crazy builds, but then actually getting to the point where you can do any of that requires actual for real accounting and grinding, and I don't have time for that crap anymore.

see I'm all about this poo poo, it's just that i'd rather claw my eyes out than play a game with PoE's camera / zoom level

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

see I'm all about this poo poo, it's just that i'd rather claw my eyes out than play a game with PoE's camera / zoom level

That's a great point and thinking about it, a big reason why I can't deal with the game. And yeah, I used to enjoy that kind of fiddly gameplay, but I simply don't have the time anymore what with being a new dad and running the restaurant. Just let me get my turbomurder fix and go to bed!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Same except I don't even have kids or own a business, I'm just old and impatient.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't get this complaint - is it too zoomed in? Too zoomed out?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't get this complaint - is it too zoomed in? Too zoomed out?

Too zoomed in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Too zoomed in.

Ah, fair enough!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mayveena posted:

What some of its fans like to tell you is that you are supposed to get to endgame at least once by stumbling around and then you'll 'get it'. Well I personally don't have time for all that. Fortunately I think that attitude is dying because PoE's fans can see that it really turns people off from the game.

I just want to run some dungeons, kill some stuff, and get some (better) loot. D3 is perfect for that.

D3 and PoE both come down to playing through a somewhat copypasted story that you've played a dozen times in other games/read in terrible epic fantasy novels and then getting to a certain point (which you can call endgame or whatever) when you unlock a bunch of stuff and then essentially re-run sections of content you've seen before (maybe with slight differences) while your powers and numbers go up. If you like that kind of thing then they will both absolutely hit that urge in slightly different ways. (I found that PoE it was easy to go down a wrong turn with your build well before you get to the end of the main campaign while in D3 it was actually difficult to die in the main story campaign on whatever the normal difficulty is)

However if you don't like seeing numbers go up, get new loot and unlock new powers to go through the same maps/slightly more powerful version of the same enemies over and over then neither game is worth playing past the main campaign/adventure mode. But that's a flaw of the type of game they are, not the individual games themselves. For just playing through the main campaign without thinking too much, I'd definitely reccomend D3 over PoE since you can mess up your build in PoE and struggle to progress well before endgame.

D3 has the witch doctor with frog powers though, which is pretty hilariously awesome if you like frogs.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dis astranagant posted:

What? You're given quite a few respec points and there's enough skills that are largely the same to build around but play differently that you can easily try out something else instead of leveling a new character all the time. And once you get far enough along a full respec costs a lot less than the gear it's gonna take to make that work.

I mean this would be great if it was true. I would love to be able to make one character and confidently bring him to the 'end-game' but its my understanding your first character is going to end up getting trashed. The idea of feeling like I'm forced to play the game twice is a huge turnoff when I have a backlog already.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wouldn't recommend either D3 or PoE to someone who doesn't want to invest too heavily. D3 is at it's most rewarding when you push your numbers sky high, while PoE is most rewarding when you get stuck into it's systems and start doing silly things, but neither have very strong levelling experiences and stories. Neither of them are really games you "beat" either, in D3 you'll just endlessly push grifts and in PoE a lot of totally fine builds just won't be able to beat the hardest content and the ones that can might well stop being fun before you actually get them there. If you're going to play for a few days then move on to the next game you'll hit the weak points of both games hard and stop playing before you get into the good bits, and there's no real end point except the moment you stop having fun.

Frankly, I can't think of any Diablo style isometric ARPG that has a good opening. I don't think there's anything in the genre with a particularly good story and they're all pretty slow and/or clunky when you're starting out with basic gear and limited skill availability. If you're looking for something to open up, play through and then move on, I'd find it hard to recommend anything in the genre.

I mean this would be great if it was true. I would love to be able to make one character and confidently bring him to the 'end-game' but its my understanding your first character is going to end up getting trashed. The idea of feeling like I'm forced to play the game twice is a huge turnoff when I have a backlog already.

For the record, you get about 20 respec points from the story and probably a few more from loot drops in that time, while finishing the story will usually pick up most of the key parts of your build and leave you with 80-90 passive points, so you can respec about a quarter of them totally free. A lot of builds will have a lot of the same components, especially in terms of defences, so you wouldn't usually need to do a full respec unless you totally hosed up. A total respec also isn't a huge cost, even a new player shouldn't take more than a few evenings to farm up the currency to completely reset yourself.

If anyone is reading this and deciding to play PoE, I would absolutely recommend starting with a guide or at least some basic tips. The main things that will make you need to trash a character are picking a skill/class/mechanic combo that straight up doesn't work well, and not picking up enough defences to survive the challenges you're faced with. Both mistakes are easy to make, but also pretty easy to avoid. Even a little direction from something that's known to be good will likely produce a character than can make a decent amount of progress into the end-game and probably be fixed relatively cheaply to be even better.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Deformed Church posted:

Frankly, I can't think of any Diablo style isometric ARPG that has a good opening. I don't think there's anything in the genre with a particularly good story and they're all pretty slow and/or clunky when you're starting out with basic gear and limited skill availability. If you're looking for something to open up, play through and then move on, I'd find it hard to recommend anything in the genre.

If you want a third-person action game with RPG mechanics that has a strong opening, your best bet is probably to shift towards the Devil May Cry / God of War type games, where the focus is more on the action and less on the loot. ARPGs tend to be built around a loot treadmill, and that requires a fair amount of buy-in on the player's part for them to be worthwhile. Ditching the loot treadmill, even if you keep other RPG concepts, definitely feels like it lands you in the more "stylish beat-em-up" genre.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
PoE is a game that you generally want to play more than once, since each time a new league comes out it's got a good amount of new content to run through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i love PoE but it has so many lovely design decisions that i don't blame anyone for not wanting to dive into it

no adventure mode analog and gender-locked classes are what are preventing me from diving back in next season