Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I cannot for the life of me bring myself to listen to Daytona again. I am sick of it. I no poo poo must have listened to it about a hundred times before I listened to anything else but I am done with it. This is the first time I've actually become sick of listening to something I love so much.

Fortunately, there's been plenty of other good poo poo this year like A Breukelen Story to listen to. I seriously dig that album. Such an easy listen. Still got to listen to Earl, Meek, and Ski Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really into the new Earl, definitely my favorite project from him. Lyrics stand out like someone said before, thanks for whoever recommended Mike also, really digging him too. The download I received was a link to some garbage 'Sony Secure File Transfer System' website which had minimal bandwidth, but the bitrate is super high so whatever I guess?

This has been a really solid year for rap in general, can't remember a year where I've added so many albums to my regular rotation.
Punken - Maxo Kream :: Super solid album front to back, nothing skippable. Also can't believe this was 2018, feels like I've listened to it for forever
Vacation in Hell - Flatbush Zombies :: Another solid release, nothing standout but I still put it on periodically
Daytona - Pusha T :: Great album. I also got a bit burned out on it, but I still put it on once in a while
Kids See Ghosts - Kanye & Cudi :: My favorite of the 4 kanye albums released this summer
TA13OO - Denzel Curry :: Love me some Curry, and this album didn't disappoint at all. The albums ends on a high point too which is cool.
FM! - Vince Staples :: Another great album from Vince, I like all of his albums and this one was great.
Veteran - JPEGMAFIA :: Never listened to a full album from JPEGMAFIA before, love this one though. Beats are really interesting.
Tha Carter V - Lil Wayne :: Really wasn't expecting to like a Wayne album in 2018...
Awful Swim - Father :: Thanks to whoever recommended Father in this thread he has become a favorite of mine.
Stuck - Nickelus F :: Great album, always appreciate some new Nick Fury.
DROGAS WAVE - Lupe Fiasco :: Longest album in my regular rotation at this point, really good though. I don't think I like any other Lupe albums so I wasn't expecting to enjoy this.
Renaissance Man - Mike :: Great album, reminiscent of the new Earl
Some Rap Songs - Earl Sweatshirt :: I've been waiting for a new Earl album for a long time, glad it didn't disappoint.

Notable, but not in my regular rotation:
Freddie - Freddie Gibbs
I Want to Die in New Orleans - $uicideBoy$
MUDBOY - Sheck Wes

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, this is just what I can remember/find in my recent plays. Dump your favorite albums of the year rap thread, I'll try to collate it at some point and put together a list of the top albums of the year

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 1, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Marching Powder posted:

I cannot for the life of me bring myself to listen to Daytona again. I am sick of it. I no poo poo must have listened to it about a hundred times before I listened to anything else but I am done with it. This is the first time I've actually become sick of listening to something I love so much.
weak

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sweeper posted:

I'm really into the new Earl, definitely my favorite project from him. Lyrics stand out like someone said before, thanks for whoever recommended Mike also, really digging him too. The download I received was a link to some garbage 'Sony Secure File Transfer System' website which had minimal bandwidth, but the bitrate is super high so whatever I guess?

This has been a really solid year for rap in general, can't remember a year where I've added so many albums to my regular rotation.
Punken - Maxo Kream :: Super solid album front to back, nothing skippable. Also can't believe this was 2018, feels like I've listened to it for forever
Vacation in Hell - Flatbush Zombies :: Another solid release, nothing standout but I still put it on periodically
Daytona - Pusha T :: Great album. I also got a bit burned out on it, but I still put it on once in a while
Kids See Ghosts - Kanye & Cudi :: My favorite of the 4 kanye albums released this summer
TA13OO - Denzel Curry :: Love me some Curry, and this album didn't disappoint at all. The albums ends on a high point too which is cool.
FM! - Vince Staples :: Another great album from Vince, I like all of his albums and this one was great.
Veteran - JPEGMAFIA :: Never listened to a full album from JPEGMAFIA before, love this one though. Beats are really interesting.
Tha Carter V - Lil Wayne :: Really wasn't expecting to like a Wayne album in 2018...
Awful Swim - Father :: Thanks to whoever recommended Father in this thread he has become a favorite of mine.
Stuck - Nickelus F :: Great album, always appreciate some new Nick Fury.
DROGAS WAVE - Lupe Fiasco :: Longest album in my regular rotation at this point, really good though. I don't think I like any other Lupe albums so I wasn't expecting to enjoy this.
Renaissance Man - Mike :: Great album, reminiscent of the new Earl
Some Rap Songs - Earl Sweatshirt :: I've been waiting for a new Earl album for a long time, glad it didn't disappoint.

Notable, but not in my regular rotation:
Freddie - Freddie Gibbs
I Want to Die in New Orleans - $uicideBoy$
MUDBOY - Sheck Wes

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, this is just what I can remember/find in my recent plays. Dump your favorite albums of the year rap thread, I'll try to collate it at some point and put together a list of the top albums of the year

My list would include Daytona and Veteran for sure. I'm a bit on the fence about TA13OO and FM!. Freddie and the new Brockhampton are solid. But my top rap albums of the year at the moment are Paraffin by Armand Hammer and PRhyme 2.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
rich homie quan had the best album this year btw

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Thom and the Heads posted:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

As someone who had never listened to Curry, I got really into Taboo. Black Metal Terrorist makes me want to go dive headfirst through a plate-glass window. Most of the other rap I listened to a lot this year was much more sedate, like everything Milo put out and Ka's new album.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Ski Mask album has its moments but like every project he releases it just feels like a scattering of half-realized ideas that go nowhere

This is definitely the highlight for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7r2qTrT9vM

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Peep the new KRIT - 5 songs on two EPs (Thrice X and Double Down).. he goes crazy on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8ir-7SUhs

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

eminem unironically doesnt understand how his thing sucks and black thoughts flex freestyle is a 10/10

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Cage and Everlast won.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Black Panther soundtrack, Daytona, Kids See Ghosts, Drogas Wave and iridescence are probably my top 5 hip hop albums of the year so far

I still need to check out JPEGMAFIA. I've heard interesting things about his beats but I don't think I've actually heard anything the guy's put out.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 1, 2018

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Issy posted:

Cage and Everlast won.

They played the long game.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
My top albums were:

Pusha T - Daytona
Prhyme - 2
Kids See Ghosts
City Morgue - Hell or High Water vol. 1 *best new artist(s)*
(probably) Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy

some other stuff I liked:

Emenim - Kamikaze
Royce - Book of Ryan
Royce - Bar Exam 4
$uicideboy$ - I want to Die in New Orleans
Future & Juice WRLD - WRLD on drugs
Jay Rock - Redemption
Black Thought - Streams of Thought Vol. 1
Rich Home Quan - Rich as in spirit
Black Panther Soundtrack
Frank Ocean - Endless
Bun B - Return of the Trill

OK STUFF:

Ski Mask - Beware the book of Eli
ASAP Rocky - Testing
Key! & Kenny Beats - 777
Flatbush Zombies - Vacation in Hell
Future - Beastmode 2
Young Thug - Slime Language
Denzel Curry - Ta1300
Brockhampton - Saturation 3
Lupe - Drogas Wave

Worst album was Playboi Carti - Die Lit, Ye was biggest disappointment. I have like a dozen things from artists I really like I haven't listened to yet though. I'm so loving lazy when it comes to new music when I find something I like I listen to it on repeat until I get sick of it.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Favorite songs of the year:

Nice For What
Alan Forever
Ghost Town
What Would Meek Do?
Pray For Me
Mona Lisa
SAD!
STARGAZING

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Freddie’s was decent but not much else.

Gibbs has my favorite flow of anybody doing it but many of his projects are just let downs for me. It’s like each project he gets one beat, then makes ~10 other beats that are super similar. While each project can have a distinct aesthetic, tracks in a given album sound samey.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ski Mask album has its moments but like every project he releases it just feels like a scattering of half-realized ideas that go nowhere

This is definitely the highlight for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7r2qTrT9vM

I like him probably best out of the newer soundcloud cats making names but you're not really wrong. That said I still think his stuff has been really solid, dude raps his rear end off

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Issy posted:

Cage and Everlast won.

I no joke think Cage's musical output is way better than Eminem's (Depart from me is terrible but it would be like an average eminem album, whereas only really the marshall mathers lp equals any of cage's other stuff) but Eminem's probably got a net worth 100x Cage and will basically go at least gold releasing literally anything for the rest of his career.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

And there's a couple things I still want to listen to but best album this year was Everything's Fine. Punkem, KSG, and Busdriver's project stand out to me as well among other things. Got a ton to listen to though

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

okay I can probably do this now

red light
victory lap
rich as in spirit
poison ivy
freddie

honorable mention to all the basically disposable atlanta trap stuff that fuckin slaps even if it all blends together

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

alansmithee posted:

I no joke think Cage's musical output is way better than Eminem's (Depart from me is terrible but it would be like an average eminem album, whereas only really the marshall mathers lp equals any of cage's other stuff) but Eminem's probably got a net worth 100x Cage and will basically go at least gold releasing literally anything for the rest of his career.

Hell's Winter is better than anything eminem has put out since 2004

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

SaberToothedPie posted:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

SaberToothedPie posted:

Hell's Winter is better than anything eminem has put out

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hell's Winter is good as poo poo. Cage is his own brand of weirdo, but I gently caress with that record.

Forgot about the production credits on that; El-P, Blockhead, RJD2, DJ Shadow, Camu Tao. poo poo is stacked.

highme fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 2, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ranking 2018 rap releases before dec 31st is disgraceful

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thom and the Heads posted:

:emptyquote:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SaberToothedPie posted:

i absolutely love this album and the fact that its themes are still relevant today is hosed up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i tried a lot of drugs
i tried a lot of ladies
some i probably wouldn't have tried
if i wasn't on drugs

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

have some fukken respekt. dont rush it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChQssXSkDPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZ3xDCHRYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNaCqxersmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vVHPRZ21iE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dV4QC9qzBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHa286saCf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV2NTIbTw2Y

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 3, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ban me if aoty changes from red light to anything else in the next month :toxx:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

PS... V Don

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHU3BucF6OU

PPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymgdnDCvtjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nudRoYQ89gM

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 3, 2018

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i loved behold a dark horse but its distribution is going to stop a ton of people from listening to it

that said orpheus vs the sirens is my rap aoty and its not particularly close
rich as in spirit is up there too. so is isolation if we're counting kali uchis in here

honorable mentions for me are:
invasion of privacy
carter v
kids see ghosts
ta13oo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I really wanted to like Ta13oo, but ultimately didn't really give a poo poo about it.

My top 5 projects:

1) Lupe Fiasco - Drogas Wave
2) Trouble - Edgewood
3) Maxo - Punken
4) Kids See Ghosts
5) Pusha T - Daytona

Honorable mentions: Carter V, A Breukelen Story, Dime Rap, and that Cardi B album was a lot of fun.

Top 5 tracks:

1) Jim Jones ft Jadakiss - Dust and Powder
2) ATHLETE
3) Pusha T - If You Know You Know
4) Flatbush Zombies - HEADSTONE
5) GlokkNine - 10 Percent

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Most-listened to projects:
JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Death Grips - Year of the Snitch
Pusha T - Daytona
Hermit and the Recluse (Ka and Animoss) - Orpheus vs. the Sirens
Armand Hammer - Paraffin

Went by my last.fm playcount. Veteran kind of gets a boost thanks to being released at the very start of the year.
Lots of good poo poo this year, lots of stuff I want to listen to more. Very hard to pick an *actual* fave from those.

Tracks (from unique artists):
Pusha T - If You Know You Know
JPEGMAFIA - 1539 N. Calvert
Famous Dex - Japan
Death Grips - The Fear
03 Greedo - Never Bend
N*E*R*D — Kites
Brodinski — Split (feat. Peewee Longway)
ye — Ghost Town
milo - galahad in goosedown (fiat iustitia et pereat mundus)
Maxo Kream — Grannies

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One of my favorite songs this year has to be Potato Salad by Tyler the Creator and ASAP Rocky

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Nobody feeling TI’s album? That and Edgewood are my top 2 of the year.

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
Maxo Kream is really good but I think a lot of white people have overpayed for weed while listening to him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cobra Commander posted:

Nobody feeling TI’s album? That and Edgewood are my top 2 of the year.

Made my honourable mentions. It's good.

Edgewood is great though. No weak tracks. Great hooks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alright, suppose I'll do mine then, though it's gonna be real short. I listened to a lot more EPs and singles this year than full albums, but here's what I haven't stopped playing in my car. So this is not so much a "best of" as "what have I been listening to a lot that came out this year"

Albums:
Lupe Fiasco - Drogas Wave
T.I. - DIME TRAP
Black Thought & Salaam Remi - Streams of Thought vol 2 (this is just barely long enough that I'll call it an album. Vol 1 was good too but clearly an EP)
Vinnie Paz - The Pain Collector (shut up, I know. I still like it)

Honorable mentions (stuff I liked that came out this year but don't listen to regularly):
CZARFACE & MF Doom - Czarface Meets Metal Face
Armand Hammer - Paraffin
Black Thought - Streams of Thought vol 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I wanna chime in and say thank you to everyone posting their "best of" lists, I fell off the wagon hardcore this year regarding new hiphop, so this is fuckin awesome. I downloaded like 3GB of new stuff to listen to :getin: