Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Am I asking them that question, or answering it for them?

This makes it seem like the latter. Given that in this particular case the character was "around" but not active in the party (outside of a "help me bust down this gate" thing), I think I have an idea for what they could have been doing.

Yeah, you're assuming certain offscreen activities so you can give them a reasonable set of risks and benefits to choose between. If you don't feel like you know the character well enough yet, ask the player if you can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Drop Database posted:

I had a quick read and left some comments. Feel free to message to discuss. In general, I feel like the playbooks have had some good conversion work, and are evocative and genre-appropriate (although some of the names confused me). I feel like the basic and peripheral moves can use some more work, though. Some of them are very reminiscent of AW still, where they should be dripping with space flavour, being the rules players interact with more often.

Thanks for the feedback, it was really useful. I'm still thinking about how to cram more space flavor in, and you gave me some good points to try to do it.

I agree with the playbook names--they're still a work in progress.

Pollyanna posted:

Given that in this particular case the character was "around" but not active in the party (outside of a "help me bust down this gate" thing), I think I have an idea for what they could have been doing.

A decent option is always to involve them in the other players' lives. For example, if another character is trying to hunt down a rare item, a good love letter option may be "You've managed to get hold of X. Where'd you get it, and who else knows you have it?" This pulls the player into the current session without having to have their character "magically" stumble their way back into the tangled web of events that happened during the session the missed.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Honestly if the player only missed a single session you might not even need to do a love letter for them? I mean you can if you want to but I've typically only used them when it's been ages since the last time our group's played. I like to fill mine with tough decisions about their relationships because it always makes them squirm.

Here's some from my game when there was like months since our last session. The deal with these is whichever options they didn't take would be treated as if the player rolled a miss, i.e. Dart's player rolled a 10+ and they took the safe road and Jacks options, which meant that when the game started Natch had a bone to pick with them.

quote:

Dearest Saffron,

Hey baby girl, how you been living? Have you and Lamprey worked things out yet? Actually, wait, don't answer that. First, roll+hot. On a 10+ pick two. On a 7-9, pick one.

- Been disappeared without a trace, but you have a good idea of why, what he's up to and with whom he's collaborating.
- The Zinger has fully collapsed. You are the only game in town. Pat yourself on the back!
- Baa survived and still has clout with the Mainland. He is willing to facilitate communication between you and them.

On a miss, Baa is dead, you have no idea where Been could be and the Zinger is still around and controlled by someone truly loathsome.

Now, how's things with Lamprey?

Love and kisses,

Your MC.

quote:

Dearest Gemini,

Wow, you just can't catch a break, eh? Roll+cool. On a 10+, pick two. On a 7-9, pick one.

- You effortlessly dispatched the last Hawkblood that came after you. You sufficiently intimidated them that they're probably going to bide their time before risking another attack.
- Rail has found some discrete way of contacting you and assuring you of his safety. He wants to meet up with you.
- If you can stand to be chained down like that, you've found a person or people who give enough of a gently caress about you that you can go to them for safe harbour. Detail, now.

On a miss, your last Hawkblood encounter was a near thing, Rail didn't show up to the rendezvous he arranged and you are alone. But gently caress it, what's new right?

Love and kisses,

Your MC.

quote:

Dearest Vex,

Sorry about your 'girlfriend'! It probably wouldn't have worked out anyway; your relationship was all about one person mindfucking the other. Anyway, roll+weird. On a 10+, pick two. On a 7-9, pick one.

- Alpha Centauri can't get to you.
- The psychic maelstrom – or something in the maelstrom, or someone else who can reach through the maelstrom – has made it clear to you that it's on your side and supports what you're doing. That might even be a good thing!
- Natch and the Mainland are too busy fighting each other to be interested in you right now.

On a miss, the maelstrom is indifferent to your efforts (or it hates you; hard to tell sometimes), Natch and/or the Mainland are painting lines on you like a cow for slaughter (not that you know what a cow is) and Alpha Centauri is so close she could just reach out and touch you.

And she will.

Love and kisses,

Your MC.

quote:

Dearest Dart,

Old times, old crimes bro. You know how it be. Roll+cool. On a 10+, pick two. On a 7-9, pick one.

- Natch respects your decisions and hasn't forced you to choose your loyalties.
- Jacks has stuck with you and is now a resident of the Port, someone you can rely on.
- You've been able to maintain a covert, relatively safe road that runs clear through the island from the Port to the Lagoon.

On a miss, Jacks has been enslaved by the Mainland and Natch wants to know if it's gonna be her way or the highway. Forget the safe road: there's pretty much no way you're getting anywhere without getting attacked unless you're willing to risk the scariness of the deep jungle.

By the way, how are things with you and Oreo? Are you two still kinda together? If so, driver special move is online. If not, roll+cool. On a hit, choose one of the following:

- He's been captured by the Mainland.
- He's a wrecker now and he thinks you're full of so much poo poo.
- He's dead.

On a miss, not only is he dead, but you had to kill him yourself when he came at you with a mouth-drill.

Love and kisses,

Your MC.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

Thanks for the feedback, it was really useful. I'm still thinking about how to cram more space flavor in, and you gave me some good points to try to do it.

I think ultimately to have more flavourful moves, you will come up against having to decide what kind of space setting you actually want. Over the top cool space, like Mass Effect or Guardians of the Galaxy, gritty and threatening space, like the Expense, mystical/violating space, like 40K or Dune.... tech and mission-focused like Star Trek or crew-drama focused, like Firefly?

The strength of PbtA is being able to write the flavour right into the mechanics, and the best-regarded PbtA games focus tightly on a particular genre of fiction... but that sometimes means giving up the ability to be more generic

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Here are my own love letters, from when we took a campaign break. (We referred to the break as the end of a 'season', a la TV framing, so I added some other advancement stuff in there to indicate the passage of time, too.)

quote:

Dear Clipse,

First, you get this move:

Deep brain scan: (... as per the Brainer playbook ...)

Next, note this move:

Trouble in Paradise. When we start this season, roll+cool. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, all three.
- You've been having dreams where you are the trees and the river is singing to you. The songs aren't good ones.
- The roses have been taking over more of the garden, and they bleed red when you try to cut them back. The blood acts as a hallucinogen, too.
- Nelson's got hooked on something serious, and he's out more than he's in. People are coming to you with disputes now.
On a miss, all three, and one of them is pressing too hard right now.

Finally, answer these questions:

- What has Charlie been doing lately that's bothering you, and why are you ignoring it outright but still secretly trying to stop it?
- What weird side effects are Beam's experiments having on members of your congregation? What happened at the last mass that got really loving nuts?
- Other people's minds have become louder lately, and you can even read them with some effort. What other side effects (physical or otherwise) is this having?

Grins & Love,
Your MC

quote:

Dear Lee,

First, you get this:

Your workspace now has skilled labor (name them), and choose one more workspace feature.

Then get a gang (detail in the usual way); you’ll have to get Leadership on your own.

Next, note this move:

Museum of Tomorrow. When we start this season, roll+hard. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- Your museum has been crumbling to the plants, more and more, and even these brilliant minds seem unsure about how to hold them back.
- The sun's activity has been starting to mess with your broadcasting and receiving, and other messages have been leaking in.
- Cyclops has been offering you larger and larger gifts to take on Grub as an apprentice. The last few have been... problematic. How so?
On a miss, the first one and one more, and you haven't been sleeping much.

- The printer has been printing some weird poo poo, all on its own, brilliant sculptures of glass and metal. What are you doing with them, and why do they scare you as much as they awe you?
- Valence and Shallot claim they can gently caress with a person's dream with their new rig---any truth to that?
- What keeps you going back time and again to stand over Fleece's grave?

Grins & Love,
Your MC

quote:

Dear Benzol,

First, you get this move:

Moonlighting. (... as per the Operator from 1E ...)

Next, note this move:

Kill your Friends. When we start this season, roll+sharp. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- Parcher's talked you into that smuggling thing, and it entails moving some weird poo poo from Claymaker to Heckler in Nursery.
- "Dig, dig, dig," the helmet demands. And now Eldest and Hugo are here striking a deal to dig under Monk's. Which would be fine, except that Eldest is a weird fucker that nobody really likes talking to.
- Beam's got all sweet on you, and that's apparently made poo poo a little tight with Spidere (and Teatime, by extension).
On a miss, choose two, and you're running low on bullets, too. gently caress.

- What dark thing did you see at the river bank a few weeks ago, and what about it keeps you from sleeping at night?
- What combat stimulant drug have you got a decent lead on, and how much of it have you been doing recently?
- Who offered you a big sum of pristine bullets to take a shot at Clipse, and what makes them practically untouchable?

Grins & Love,
Your MC

The goal was to set up things to kick off the whole 'season', though, so these are probably overkill for a one-off session absence.

Drop Database posted:

I think ultimately to have more flavourful moves, you will come up against having to decide what kind of space setting you actually want. Over the top cool space, like Mass Effect or Guardians of the Galaxy, gritty and threatening space, like the Expense, mystical/violating space, like 40K or Dune.... tech and mission-focused like Star Trek or crew-drama focused, like Firefly?

The strength of PbtA is being able to write the flavour right into the mechanics, and the best-regarded PbtA games focus tightly on a particular genre of fiction... but that sometimes means giving up the ability to be more generic

My goal is a mixture of interpersonal drama and localized power struggles---far from Star Trek / Guardians / Mass Effect, closer to Firefly and early Foundation. My intention is that even the tech should feel secondary to control and continued existence. That said, it turns out 'control and continued existence' look really different floating in space than they do living in a desert-waste, and that's the gap I'm still working to smooth out.

For what it's worth, I'm hesitant about nailing down space moves further because (in my playtesting) various groups seem to bring various levels of verisimilitude to space, and I've had issued trying to pin down the moves without pinning a level of realism to them.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 9, 2018

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

My goal is a mixture of interpersonal drama and localized power struggles---far from Star Trek / Guardians / Mass Effect, closer to Firefly and early Foundation. My intention is that even the tech should feel secondary to control and continued existence. That said, it turns out 'control and continued existence' look really different floating in space than they do living in a desert-waste, and that's the gap I'm still working to smooth out.

For what it's worth, I'm hesitant about nailing down space moves further because (in my playtesting) various groups seem to bring various levels of verisimilitude to space, and I've had issued trying to pin down the moves without pinning a level of realism to them.

If you want interpersonal conflict, you will probably need to drive players to it. In my experience, almost any group of players will have a default expectation of working together to combat enemy and challenge, and the game mechanics have the task of challenging that dynamic (if that's what the game wants) by colliding character motivations. In AW, people fight over food/keep, in Cartel it's money, drugs, and stress, in the Veil it is (sometimes) conflicting beliefs. Even the much-derided Dungeon World takes a stab at this, with some background/alignment moves rewarding actions a character will have to convince a party to back.

What can you do in space? Spit-balling some ideas: Limited tech/scrap, limited air/mission time, ship/hive tasks all requiring cooperation or crew allocation.. something for players and characters to argue over

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Thanks for the comments left on my doc

mixmastermind
Jan 18, 2014
What PbtA games have rules for collaboratively building a setting?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mixmastermind posted:

Perilous Wilds, if you're playing Dungeon World. Maybe even if you're not.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

mixmastermind posted:

Fellowship's core conceit involves this.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
The Sword, The Crown and The Unspeakable power has you build the history and mythology of your setting together, and Legacy: Life Among the Ruins has you decide what the world was like before the apocalypse and what its map and landmarks look like now.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I'm working on my threat map after finishing a first session of AW and I'm wondering what's a good number of threats with countdowns to have at one time? I've got 4 PCs, one dropped but was replaced by a Driver so I'm trying to have some threats affecting the world outside the town the rest of the PCs are at, as well as the threats inside the town. I have a bunch of ideas and having a lot of things to deal with and trying to prioritize what to handle first is a good source of tension, but how many is too many?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I didn't see a specific thread for it, but would this be a good place to ask some questions about Legacy? I feel like some of the questions may be specific to the game itself, but others might be PbtA things we're getting stuck on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Heliotrope posted:

I'm working on my threat map after finishing a first session of AW and I'm wondering what's a good number of threats with countdowns to have at one time? I've got 4 PCs, one dropped but was replaced by a Driver so I'm trying to have some threats affecting the world outside the town the rest of the PCs are at, as well as the threats inside the town. I have a bunch of ideas and having a lot of things to deal with and trying to prioritize what to handle first is a good source of tension, but how many is too many?

If you can close your eyes and still remember them all, you don't have too many.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Spiteski posted:

I didn't see a specific thread for it, but would this be a good place to ask some questions about Legacy? I feel like some of the questions may be specific to the game itself, but others might be PbtA things we're getting stuck on.

Sure, ask away.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Sure, ask away.

* The story moves "In Want". If no one gets a +10, what happens?

* If someone is wanting to take their family into the Wasteland... can they? I know the wasteland survival is a Character move. Is that because the expectation is that family wont move?

* What happens if someone has a need and then gets another one? This happened during an age, and we weren't sure how to handle it, so we just sort of said "you're shortage of people is now REALLY short. It's going to take a big surplus to undo that".

* Can people be the same family/but their own? IE two lots of tyrant kings? We've got a 5 person group so there isn't actually enough of the non-ruins families to go around if someone doesn't like one or two of them.

There were some more but I forgot. I'll double check with the group and see what I am missing.
There were of course the moments where I fell back into the single die roll resolving a single action/attack mentality, but that'll get fixed with practice I think.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Spiteski posted:

* The story moves "In Want". If no one gets a +10, what happens?
There's no crisis. As a GM, I'd then ask the players what they do to take advantage of the lull in the drama of survival.

quote:

* If someone is wanting to take their family into the Wasteland... can they? I know the wasteland survival is a Character move. Is that because the expectation is that family wont move?
Sure, assuming the family is Nomadic. If they're not, they'll likely need to wait for the next turn of the age to shift them to a Nomadic lifestyle, and then get moving. When the family runs into trouble out there, they're probably going to trigger either Hold Together or Claim by Force.

quote:

* What happens if someone has a need and then gets another one? This happened during an age, and we weren't sure how to handle it, so we just sort of said "you're shortage of people is now REALLY short. It's going to take a big surplus to undo that".
The general rule is that if you get a duplicate of a surplus or need you already have, you gain a different one that everyone agrees is appropriate given the current circumstances (page 31).

quote:

* Can people be the same family/but their own? IE two lots of tyrant kings? We've got a 5 person group so there isn't actually enough of the non-ruins families to go around if someone doesn't like one or two of them.
I generally prefer to avoid it, but it can work if they take a radically different tack with the playbook. Alternatively, they could pick an Echoes playbook and choose the moves which minimise the hypertech side of things? The Pioneers can be pretty mundane if you don't take the kraken-summoning atlantean mermen moves, for example.

quote:

There were some more but I forgot. I'll double check with the group and see what I am missing.
There were of course the moments where I fell back into the single die roll resolving a single action/attack mentality, but that'll get fixed with practice I think.
No worries, happy to answer further questions if you find any missing ones!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cool these are good answers.
I guess I was looking for a family Move that was akin to the Wasteland Survival one but those two make sense instead.

mixmastermind
Jan 18, 2014

milk moosie posted:

Perilous Wilds, if you're playing Dungeon World. Maybe even if you're not.

That is a fantastic way to make a setting, thank you.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have a Roll20 compatible sheet for World Wide Wrestling?

I couldn’t find anything via Google, G+, Roll 20’s forum, or Reddit. I also don’t know HTML very well, so hacking one out from a sheet coded for Monster of the Week has been troublesome.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Sure, ask away.

Another one, related to In Want story move.

One of my players selected "Something snuck under your radar" and then the player who was In Want looked at Uncover Secrets. But.... It didn't make sense? It says "The player picks an option from Uncover Secrets as the first sign of danger, adding it to the map"

How does that work? Do they gain a benefit as in the first part of the Uncover Secrets? Or add one of the second section? None of it seems to really pair up with "something snuck under your radar". Probably very obvious, or some conceit we missed but really stuck on that one.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Another one, related to In Want story move.

One of my players selected "Something snuck under your radar" and then the player who was In Want looked at Uncover Secrets. But.... It didn't make sense? It says "The player picks an option from Uncover Secrets as the first sign of danger, adding it to the map"

How does that work? Do they gain a benefit as in the first part of the Uncover Secrets? Or add one of the second section? None of it seems to really pair up with "something snuck under your radar". Probably very obvious, or some conceit we missed but really stuck on that one.

Ah, that's irritating - it used to be that Uncover Secrets was only that second list, and when we changed it we obviously forgot to revise In Want. So essentially, the player picking the 'something snuck under your radar' option adds to their map a powder keg, a shelter or a barrier and contextualises it as the first sign of danger.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Ah, that's irritating - it used to be that Uncover Secrets was only that second list, and when we changed it we obviously forgot to revise In Want. So essentially, the player picking the 'something snuck under your radar' option adds to their map a powder keg, a shelter or a barrier and contextualises it as the first sign of danger.

Ok sweet, I'll put that on a little post-it there to reflect that so we remember. Thanks for that

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Does anyone have a Roll20 compatible sheet for World Wide Wrestling?

I couldn’t find anything via Google, G+, Roll 20’s forum, or Reddit. I also don’t know HTML very well, so hacking one out from a sheet coded for Monster of the Week has been troublesome.

There isn't an auto-roll one, but I put together a text one when I ran it

quote:

Name:
Gimmick:
Role:
Hailing from:
Entrance:

=====STATS=====
LOOK:0 (Cut A Promo, Wrestling)
POWER:0 (Feat of Strength, Wrestling)
REAL:0 (Break Kayfabe, Work Real Stiff)
WORK: 0 (Wrestling)

=====HEAT=====
(Run-In, Wrestling)

Write down each other wrestlers name. On your turn, ask 1 question per other player. When answered, gain +1 Heat with their wrestler. See Gimmick for questions.
Q1:

Q2:

Q3:

Q4:

Whenever you work a match with a character you have +4 Heat with, gain +1 Audience.
When you finish a feud, reset Heat to +1.
____________ +0____________ +0____________ +0

=====ROLE=====
» Pick your starting Role. You can use the Move of the same name. Gain +1 Heat with everyone who’s the opposite
» When you deliberately break your role, you make a turn and switch to its opposite. Gain +1 Heat with everyone now opposed to you

=====MOVES=====
FINISHING MOVE:

OTHER MOVES:

=====INJURY=====
☐☐☐☐
When you get injured, check an Injury box. When Injured:

When you spend an Advance, you can erase a check. You can no longer compete when you have _ Checks.

=====AUDIENCE=====
(Work the Audience, Championship Advantage)

This Gimmick starts and resets to: Audience _
+4 ☐Mark an Advance. At the beginning of the Episode, make the Over Move
+3 ☐Start the Episode with +2 Momentum
+2 ☐Start the Episode with +1 Momentum
+1 ☐Start the Episode with +1 Momentum
+0 ☐Mark an Advance. At the end of the Episode, you’re fired.

=====MOMENTUM=====
(Cheap Heat, Finishing Move, Babyface/Heel)

0 Add Momentum spent to any roll you make

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s more functional than what I currently have. Thanks!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
It's the last few hours of the Impulse Drive Kickstarter!

we've nearly hit $14,500!
Thank you everyone who has contributed so far with pledges, sharing the kickstarter, discussing the game, and following. I can't believe how many folks have shown excitement for this game and I'm truly moved. I'd love for us to unlock the next stretch goal, so please continue to share the kickstarter and hype up your friends for space opera adventures!

As we come in to the last few hours of the kickstarter, there's time for the final push to get all the art from the wonderful illustrator Claudia Cangini. Once the campaign is complete, I'll be sending out surveys for preferred names in the thank you section of the book, and contact emails for download codes from Drivethru RPG when the files are ready.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Anybody run a Legacy 2e game? I’m wrapping up a year long Blades game and looking at my next campaign.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

madadric posted:

It's the last few hours of the Impulse Drive Kickstarter!

we've nearly hit $14,500!
Thank you everyone who has contributed so far with pledges, sharing the kickstarter, discussing the game, and following. I can't believe how many folks have shown excitement for this game and I'm truly moved. I'd love for us to unlock the next stretch goal, so please continue to share the kickstarter and hype up your friends for space opera adventures!

As we come in to the last few hours of the kickstarter, there's time for the final push to get all the art from the wonderful illustrator Claudia Cangini. Once the campaign is complete, I'll be sending out surveys for preferred names in the thank you section of the book, and contact emails for download codes from Drivethru RPG when the files are ready.

I forgot to say this earlier, but congratulations on getting funded man. Look forward to the finished product.

I really should do the same with friendship effort Victory soon. I still think there's a market for shown in battle comic role playing game using this engine.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

Anybody run a Legacy 2e game? I’m wrapping up a year long Blades game and looking at my next campaign.

I wrote the thing, what would you like to know?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey, congrats on the 2e publication dude. You've got a real neat game here! I'm getting stoked about potentially running it.

Like I said, I've a Blades campaign wrapping up. Afterwards, I'm thinking about running Legacy 2e for my crew. I've gone through the core book a couple times—your play advice section has been a big help. However, I've got two big concepts I'm struggling with:

1. I've really begun to rely up on the "score -> downtime -> score" structure of Blades. I understand the core gameplay loop in Legacy is "zoom in -> characters -> zoom out -> family -> zoom in" but I'm concerned that picking up and putting down my player's characters will put off my crew, who loves their lovely, terrible Blades protagonists to death. How do you recommend keeping the family, not the characters, in the forefront of this cycle? How do you keep the pressure on the families as the gameplay loop cycles through the third or fourth age?

2. My players are great, but petty as hell. I'm a strict everyone-having-fun, consensual, non-catpiss kinda MC, but I know, for example, that one of my players would zoom in on the Tyrants and likely start doing Tyrant things as much as possible. PVP would be an inevitability with my group. I understand your advice is to try and keep the players working at cross-purposes, rather than all out war, but how much do you recommend stretching the scope of the heartland and area around it to enable this sort of cross purpose conflict? I understand being a PbtA game there are actually few assumptions about an individual game world, but I'm curious about your recommendations regarding Homeland scope as a way to mitigate / facilitate player conflict.

For example, take the Tyrant family I know will pop up in my game. I would want to give the Tyrant room to put around and smash sandcastles. I guess the "default" Homeland is sorta-populated, scattered communities, with only the other player families actually owning and holding solid ground (assuming any selected Settled starts). In my mind, this would start the Tyrants immediately marching and trying to conquer my other players' territory. Should I try to put more npc controlled territories in the Homeland to give the Tyrant targets that don't put them at life-or-death odds with other Families? Does the default start assume large communities that the families are minor populations of or isolated communities comprised of entirely Family-members?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

Hey, congrats on the 2e publication dude. You've got a real neat game here! I'm getting stoked about potentially running it.

Like I said, I've a Blades campaign wrapping up. Afterwards, I'm thinking about running Legacy 2e for my crew. I've gone through the core book a couple times—your play advice section has been a big help. However, I've got two big concepts I'm struggling with:

1. I've really begun to rely up on the "score -> downtime -> score" structure of Blades. I understand the core gameplay loop in Legacy is "zoom in -> characters -> zoom out -> family -> zoom in" but I'm concerned that picking up and putting down my player's characters will put off my crew, who loves their lovely, terrible Blades protagonists to death. How do you recommend keeping the family, not the characters, in the forefront of this cycle? How do you keep the pressure on the families as the gameplay loop cycles through the third or fourth age?

2. My players are great, but petty as hell. I'm a strict everyone-having-fun, consensual, non-catpiss kinda MC, but I know, for example, that one of my players would zoom in on the Tyrants and likely start doing Tyrant things as much as possible. PVP would be an inevitability with my group. I understand your advice is to try and keep the players working at cross-purposes, rather than all out war, but how much do you recommend stretching the scope of the heartland and area around it to enable this sort of cross purpose conflict? I understand being a PbtA game there are actually few assumptions about an individual game world, but I'm curious about your recommendations regarding Homeland scope as a way to mitigate / facilitate player conflict.

For example, take the Tyrant family I know will pop up in my game. I would want to give the Tyrant room to put around and smash sandcastles. I guess the "default" Homeland is sorta-populated, scattered communities, with only the other player families actually owning and holding solid ground (assuming any selected Settled starts). In my mind, this would start the Tyrants immediately marching and trying to conquer my other players' territory. Should I try to put more npc controlled territories in the Homeland to give the Tyrant targets that don't put them at life-or-death odds with other Families? Does the default start assume large communities that the families are minor populations of or isolated communities comprised of entirely Family-members?

So, for your first question, just because Legacy characters are more disposable than Blades ones doesn’t mean you can’t get attached to them! If a player wants to stick with their character from one age to the next, that’s possible in the system as long as it works in the fiction; just have the character migrate from one playbook to another, resetting stats and moves but keeping a relic from their previous playbook. As for keeping the pressure on families, my co-author wrote a pretty great article on the ways the social dynamics of the game tend to change over time - you can read it here.

For your second question, it’s definitely important to have other factions in the homeland than just the players. Someone controls each settlement, unless it’s one of the players, and you can encourage your group to build this up by picking npc factions to answer their questions in the History section of world setup. For the Tyrants, it’s important to remember they’re in the empire business. There’s a reason their alliance move keys off them offering someone a place in their heirarchy. As a gm, encourage the Tyrants to recruit instead of crush, and also highlight to the other players that the tyrants draw their strength from their vassals - and that means there’s plenty of points of weakness to hit with diplomacy or subterfuge.

World setup should leave you with plenty of threats out there in the wasteland for the tyrants to conquer, and internal needs they need to address. That, combined with the history they have with the other families, tends to head off immediate PvP in my experience.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the breakdown. I think I'll need to see it action to really understand.

Thankfully your blog has a bunch of examples of that. Time for some reading!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Vincent Baker is doing some interesting stuff on his Patreon, streamlining and combining playbooks for a different look at Apocalypse World. Is anyone else following Burned Over?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I’ve followed it, but mostly for design stuff and Under Hollow Hills (which I Hope hasn’t been dropped)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Vincent Baker is doing some interesting stuff on his Patreon, streamlining and combining playbooks for a different look at Apocalypse World. Is anyone else following Burned Over?

I am. It's super interesting, and I'm curious to see how the rest of it works.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I'm interested in what the Psi rating and Environment stat do for you. A couple of things manipulate them, but I don't believe they're mentioned in the reference section as-is.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, Psi rating is really interesting and I'm curious how it will shake out. My take us that it implies some mastery over the maelstrom, while weird indicates the Pc's receptivity to it, but it will be nice to see some clarification of that. I was very interested in the Unalone merging the Skinner, Chopper and Hocus books while presenting other options.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I still think the weapons rules from the Fallen Empires preview should be universalized. I want to use them for AW but it would be a pain in the dick to rewrite all the playbooks just to change weapon stats and the rules for the Battlebabe's weapons.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I've been running a City of Mist Persona game, about 10 sessions in right now and everyone's really enjoying the system and the way moves are not locked to one specific type of situation. The only thing we're really struggling with is that there doesn't really seem to be a specific way to handle powers that should definitely target more than one person at once when they're facing multiple unique targets instead of a gang. I've been sort of alternating between using Change the Game to allow players to power up their other moves and having them use their tags as if they were the equivalent of weapon tags in Apocalypse World. I'd be curious to see if anyone has an opinion on that or if I maybe just missed a rule somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The first 8 playbooks for Burned Over as well as the moves and other rules just went up, looks like it's playable at first glance.