Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I loving love metrics. Give me more.

Preferably the kind that involve GCSSA that BNs, BDEs and divisions can pull the same information, push through their own convoluted Excel spreadsheet to turn the gibberish into something somewhat legible, and have different numbers come out each time.

So that we can then scream at each other up and down the chain of command each month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

i'm gonna make financial health a thing they track

legit

Hey. gently caress you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i mean that's fair

but it's not my idea, that's the job

identify all currently collected metrics and trainings that are related to readiness/resilience, assess their impact and respondent burden, and identify which ones can be either changed or eliminated entirely with a preference on elimination

for all services

JCS is concerned about financial health

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

I will happily track financial health if they eliminate [too many dumbass things we track that are "important" here]

But I'm not confident that will happen. So far we've removed like... Army TRiPS and maybe two other annual online trainings?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
get rid of the course that tells you to act like a weirdo conspiracy theorist when getting a room at the best western

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
also

winter safety
summer safety
ice safety
water safety
boating safety
swimming safety
grilling safety
deep frying turkey safety

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's a work in progress, it's the same thing that I had to deal with when I worked for DHA.

1) OSD/OUSD/OASD/JCS/DHA/etc. decides something is hosed up and needs to change. How they reach this conclusion is irrelevant.
2) Joint organization conducts an environmental scan of all services policy/regulations/laws/practices on the topic area. This can take like a year or more.
3) Joint organization determines what they want to unify, based on expert workgroups. This can also take years.
4) Every service flips the gently caress out and immediately launches a protest, sometimes the house or senate gets involved depending on what sacred cows are up for slaughter
5) Adjudication of every service's grievances is done by the expert workgroups. Takes years.
6) Joint organization issues new guidance.

Sometimes this happens fast enough if someone with enough juice says 'I don't loving care, we're doing xyz'

I'm somewhere at point 1.5. In this case JCS has determined that there's too much focus on poo poo that doesn't affect readiness and it's actively detracting from readiness. I deal with health, so there's a lot of poo poo going on with other teams that I don't have visibility on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

In this case JCS has determined that there's too much focus on poo poo that doesn't affect readiness and it's actively detracting from readiness.

Zounds! What a discovery!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
no kidding, but this poo poo is like inception

they have to think it's their idea

but once they have it, the idea takes hold and you can actually get action

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We need more online training where we complete it, receive a certificate and then go to an entirely different military website and upload our training certificate to prove we actually we did it.

My favorite online training I did was for the new GPC MasterCards where the certificate is in the slide show you download and you have to fill it out yourself. Then you send an email essentially saying "yeah sure, I DEFINITELY watched the required video training and didn't just skip to filling out the cert!".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

God damned required training for poo poo that isnt relevent is probably in the top 5 for morale killers, because they never say, "Yo, the whole platoon has 60 days to get current. I'll give each squad/team/whatever a few hours each week in rotation to get it done. Be grown ups, do your poo poo. Check your buddy. Leaders, check in. If you need an alibi fire, let me know. Otherwise, we good." It's always, we have one working computer, and the whole company has to get current before we can go home, and midnight's the deadline." @ like, 6pm.

I mean, besides the useless training aspect.

When I was in the Guard, we were getting out mandatory drug/wife beating/ suicide poo poo, the guy giving the presentation said that since there is overlap, he will be combining the drug abuse and suicide one. Cool. An hour less of that bullshit.

"Who remembers Chris Farley?"
:everyone nods:
"Let's watch a few clips for the younger guys" we watch a few of the classic bits- a scene from Tommy Boy, the other movie with David Spade, and "I live in a van, down by the river!" Joy is had.
"Ok, so everybody agrees, funny dude." Transitions to the next slide, and it's his dead loving body. It is legit the crime scene photo from his death.
"Don't do drugs, or you will loving die. Ok, onto suicide prevention..."

Pretty much ruined everyones afternoon.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That's one way to scare people off of drugs...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

God damned required training for poo poo that isnt relevent is probably in the top 5 for morale killers, because they never say, "Yo, the whole platoon has 60 days to get current. I'll give each squad/team/whatever a few hours each week in rotation to get it done. Be grown ups, do your poo poo. Check your buddy. Leaders, check in. If you need an alibi fire, let me know. Otherwise, we good." It's always, we have one working computer, and the whole company has to get current before we can go home, and midnight's the deadline." @ like, 6pm.

When I was in the Guard, we were getting out mandatory drug/wife beating/ suicide poo poo, the guy giving the presentation said that since there is overlap, he will be combining the drug abuse and suicide one. Cool. An hour less of that bullshit.

"Let's watch a few clips for the younger guys" we watch a few of the classic bits- a scene from Tommy Boy, the other movie with David Spade, and "I live in a van, down by the river!" Joy is had.
"Ok, so everybody agrees, funny dude." Transitions to the next slide, and it's his dead loving body. It is legit the crime scene photo from his death.

That's great.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

"this is go home criteria"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Better than this

https://youtu.be/KUXb7do9C-w

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Someone walked up to him after and said maybe he should start with suicide prevention, if he is going to make everyone want to die in the drug class.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Vasudus posted:

i mean that's fair

but it's not my idea, that's the job

identify all currently collected metrics and trainings that are related to readiness/resilience, assess their impact and respondent burden, and identify which ones can be either changed or eliminated entirely with a preference on elimination

for all services

For 18th ABC:

Get rid of the 4 miles/36 minute pace and 12 mile AASLT ruck bullshit. Those metrics are made up and everyone knows it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Does anyone feel guilty about leaving?

I know this is like the worst place to ask but I could use some support. My unit and friends are like trying to convince me to stay, even for 6 months.

We have 20 new soldiers due in by February and a lack of experience, and we just had a company change of command.

It's hard to walk away especially when I have my army switch turned on. I wouldn't need to do another APFT or anything, so it would be mostly mentoring and training but I'm worried that it's not a good enough reason to stay.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can't save everyone, and if you don't look after yourself, who will?

Triggs posted:

For 18th ABC:

Get rid of the 4 miles/36 minute pace and 12 mile AASLT ruck bullshit. Those metrics are made up and everyone knows it.

I'm actually going to be pushing for site visits + interviews + observations for probably mid-late 2019. That kind of poo poo is exactly in my domain because muscular-skeletal issues from training is a high priority concern.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The army and those 20 soldiers will do just fine without you, you are nothing but a tiny cog in the machine. I don't mean that in an insulting way, but the army and your unit will be exactly the same without you, it's designed that way. You need to do what is best for you and your well being dude.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Wasabi the J posted:

but I'm worried that it's not a good enough reason to stay.

It's not.

It's cool that they want you now, but when they decide they don't then you're just a piece of poo poo short timer.

They'll find someone to fill your slot, they always do. The military isn't gonna collapse because one dude left.

Run home. Be free.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Vasudus posted:

I'm actually going to be pushing for site visits + interviews + observations for probably mid-late 2019. That kind of poo poo is exactly in my domain because muscular-skeletal issues from training is a high priority concern.

The only real way I see that happening is actually force a limit on how much dudes can ruck and run, and getting rid of the ridiculous morning PT that is just 90 minutes of bone grinding in the cold.

And that ain't gonna happen.

I like the idea though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
No it almost assuredly won't result in any drastic changes, but I'm going to do what I can. Unfortunately any changes this whole process can actually do won't be until 2022 or so, maybe longer.

The strategy lately has been to quantify the losses in money, because I guess that's never been a thing. Another contractor (I think it was RAND but maybe not, can't recall) did an assessment for OUSD(P&R) that was a 2-year study and the numbers apparently made everyone in the room throw up a little, hence the newfound concern.

The sacred cows of certain training regimens become a whole lot less sacred when you inform the money people that ruckrunning costs the government an additional 1.5m/soldier over their lifetime.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you cant put a price on tradition, Vasudus

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

mods changed my name posted:

The army and those 20 soldiers will do just fine without you, you are nothing but a tiny cog in the machine. I don't mean that in an insulting way, but the army and your unit will be exactly the same without you, it's designed that way. You need to do what is best for you and your well being dude.

Plus, even if you are a unit linchpin, and those 20 soldiers would be better off with you there, you need to realize that's never going to end - there's always going to be a next thing coming up that they could really use your help with, and if you could just stick around a little bit longer, etc. The unit was there before you, and it's going to be there long after you're gone, regardless of how long you stay. At some point, you need to look after yourself.

Also, the longer you're in the position of "guy everyone relies on because he knows how to do everything," the worse it is for everyone else when you leave. The best thing you could do is train up several other people on what it is you do, or at least give them the tools so they can figure out how to do it themselves, and then walk away from it all when it's time to leave.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks dudes.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mods changed my name posted:

you cant put a price on tradition, Vasudus

Triggered

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A big priority in 7th ID is sending dudes to the divisions warrior athlete program. Most of the students are SGTs and SPC team leaders. The idea is that these guys then go back to their units and develop physical training programs that promote functional fitness and prevent injuries. I don't know about you guys but I have never once seen anyone other than SFCs and SSGs create PT plans. Sure a SGT or SPC might take lead during stretching or doing pull up drills or whatever but they definitely didn't create the plan.

Right now something like 5 dudes per company within 7th ID are required to have this training but few if any of them are in any position to actually change anything in their units.

They should take away the ability of SFCs and SSGs being able to create PT plans unless they've been through some kind of fitness training. Just because it's the way they've always done PT doesn't mean its the right way.

The same NCO's that create squad competitions involving flipping tires across a field as fast as possible will then turn around and wonder "Why the gently caress do we have so many profiles?" Of course 3 out of your 4 SSGs have some kind of permanent profile themselves anyway, likely from a decade of doing stupid poo poo for PT.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
when I was a young SGT I was told I was "soft" for letting my soldiers go to sick call, because I didn't feel comfortable making medical decisions because i'm not a doctor and had no medical training, but apparently you're just supposed to know that they're malingering pieces of poo poo

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Vasudus posted:

No it almost assuredly won't result in any drastic changes, but I'm going to do what I can. Unfortunately any changes this whole process can actually do won't be until 2022 or so, maybe longer.

The strategy lately has been to quantify the losses in money, because I guess that's never been a thing. Another contractor (I think it was RAND but maybe not, can't recall) did an assessment for OUSD(P&R) that was a 2-year study and the numbers apparently made everyone in the room throw up a little, hence the newfound concern.

The sacred cows of certain training regimens become a whole lot less sacred when you inform the money people that ruckrunning costs the government an additional 1.5m/soldier over their lifetime.

The money lost due to wasted man hours alone would be staggering. Do a case study of a single battalion. Hell, even a company. Or go even more micro than that, put a number on the amount of time wasted on DA31s when the whole process could be automated.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i think at one point my leave packets for the chemical unit I was in exceeded 20 pieces of paper. Multiply that times a whole company in paper costs in toner and loving wasted time. Jesus christ.

edit: even if you were just staying on base you had to do trips because thats what the coversheet says!!!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

A big priority in 7th ID is sending dudes to the divisions warrior athlete program. Most of the students are SGTs and SPC team leaders. The idea is that these guys then go back to their units and develop physical training programs that promote functional fitness and prevent injuries. I don't know about you guys but I have never once seen anyone other than SFCs and SSGs create PT plans. Sure a SGT or SPC might take lead during stretching or doing pull up drills or whatever but they definitely didn't create the plan.

Right now something like 5 dudes per company within 7th ID are required to have this training but few if any of them are in any position to actually change anything in their units.

They should take away the ability of SFCs and SSGs being able to create PT plans unless they've been through some kind of fitness training. Just because it's the way they've always done PT doesn't mean its the right way.

The same NCO's that create squad competitions involving flipping tires across a field as fast as possible will then turn around and wonder "Why the gently caress do we have so many profiles?" Of course 3 out of your 4 SSGs have some kind of permanent profile themselves anyway, likely from a decade of doing stupid poo poo for PT.

I've never seen any kind of PT plan implemented ever.

Unless that plan is "what the dude in charge of formation wants to do today, but god help you if it isn't PRT"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

The money lost due to wasted man hours alone would be staggering. Do a case study of a single battalion. Hell, even a company. Or go even more micro than that, put a number on the amount of time wasted on DA31s when the whole process could be automated.

DA 31 packets (and a lot of personnel actions) are automated now at my unit. Upload a few documents, track progress online. So far pretty decent. Except when the internet is down or a computer isn’t available and now some clerk gets to refuse to do poo poo because they don’t take paper copies anymore because gently caress you.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

Unless that plan is "what the dude in charge of formation wants to do today, but god help you if it isn't PRT"
The best way I saw of doing it was to develop a loose PT schedule for the upcoming week and have everybody SPC and up rotate through leading the platoon. This would keep things fresh and interesting, and also give younger guys the opportunity to learn how to lead. The incentive for not half-assing it latent threat was that if somebody's plan for a given day sucked, the PSG would take over the formation; the guy whose day it was would look like an idiot and everybody would hate him because they'd be stuck doing stupid, boring poo poo for PT.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
^ absolutely. It's so simple and I don't see it anymore.

not caring here posted:

There were some pockets where my supervisors had the chance to run stuff, or even I had my team go with plans our motivated Specialist designed, but more and more over the years a small group which outperformed the rest will always get their agency stripped away and moved to Section/Platoon PT (with the expected effects on morale, performance, and injuries)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it finally happened, vas has turned into a good idea fairy civilian at the pentagon

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lmao nah

all of this stuff is in place already

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

lmao nah

all of this stuff is in place already

Not my fault. I’m just a cog, we all say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i mean i'm literally legally unable to do anything other than the incredibly specific job i was hired for but sure