Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read a collection of 20 Poe stories, and three of them were about the last son of a once-great family who drives their wife to death by being insane and weird, and still manages to make it all about themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Poe also has a racist novel of his own. It’s not very good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jocoserious posted:

I agree. Lovecraft ranges from "interesting ideas smothered in purple prose" to "absurdly racist schlock".

His own contemporaries were better than him at writing cosmic horror. IMO, the best cosmic horror story is The Willows by Algernon Blackwood.

That's a quality horror writer name too.

If you don't know it, you can't be 100% sure "The Willows by Algernon Blackwood" isn't the actual story title.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Poe is good you goobers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Poe has his moments, but this guy Jeff in my freshman English class was the best horror poet. He wrote a poem about how he knocked up his girlfriend.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

knocking women up is indeed terrifying

example: Eraserhead

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently learned that one of my old friends from school who I haven't seen or spoken to in years is having his first child. I suppose other former schoolmates must have children by now but since I'm not really in contact with anybody I was at school with, this is the first I've heard about. And it makes me wonder, why? Why does he want to have children? And I have to accept that it's something I will probably never be able to understand, which in turns makes me feel annoyed because it means there must be something wrong with me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People want different things out of life. A lot of people in our generation are very anti-kid too...until they meet someone they care enough about and your priorities start to change. That doesn't mean you have to have kids once you find someone you want to spend life with, but a lot of people do and that's fine. It's also fine to just never have kids, if that's what makes you happy. The world would honestly be a better place if less people had kids, and preferably there should be a way to determine who can reproduce on top of that, but it's a natural urge to want a kid. Like when you get married, settle down in life and approach a stable lifestyle, it's natural to think the next step is having a baby. But that doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with you if you don't feel that urge.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People want different things out of life. A lot of people in our generation are very anti-kid too...until they meet someone they care enough about and your priorities start to change. That doesn't mean you have to have kids once you find someone you want to spend life with, but a lot of people do and that's fine. It's also fine to just never have kids, if that's what makes you happy. The world would honestly be a better place if less people had kids, and preferably there should be a way to determine who can reproduce on top of that, but it's a natural urge to want a kid. Like when you get married, settle down in life and approach a stable lifestyle, it's natural to think the next step is having a baby. But that doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with you if you don't feel that urge.

Yeah I don’t feel weird about not personally wanting a child; rather I think it’s weird that people make that determination long before they meet someone they may want to have a child with. Same with marriage really. If you’ve never met someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, it’s weird to me that you could know you want that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah I don’t feel weird about not personally wanting a child; rather I think it’s weird that people make that determination long before they meet someone they may want to have a child with. Same with marriage really. If you’ve never met someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, it’s weird to me that you could know you want that.

For me it's a desire I have but it hinges entirely on the conditional "if I find the right person" part. If I never find that person, that's fine, but if I do, great.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

More people need to just adopt if they want to clean turds and never have money even worse that bad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Velcro is a superior way of fastening shoes than shoelaces.

-Velcro doesn't get undone like laces
-Easier to adjust, apply and remove
-Won't fray at the end or split due to friction with the shoe

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Away all Goats posted:

Velcro is a superior way of fastening shoes than shoelaces.

-Easier to adjust, apply and remove

There's a reason "being able to handle shoes with laces" is a common milestone in mental development.

Besides, why embarrass yourself with velcro when loafers/slip-ons are superior in every way?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Slip ons are great too but I'm also thinking of stuff like hiking shoes or cleats where you really need them secured to your foot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MizPiz posted:

There's a reason "being able to handle shoes with laces" is a common milestone in mental development.

Because dopes gotta have something to feel good about when nothing else will suffice.

Velcro or straps are in fact superior.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I suppose it just seems like a bit of a waste of time and money to me.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Because dopes gotta have something to feel good about when nothing else will suffice.
Velcro or straps are in fact superior.

:ck5:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose it just seems like a bit of a waste of time and money to me.

tbh pretty much everything is a waste of time and money in an objective sense, so spend it on what you enjoy, whether it's video games, building a business, starting a big family, who cares, in 2000 years nobody is going to care/remember what you did.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Away all Goats posted:

Shoelaces are more secure than velcro, unless you are bad at tying your shoes

Away all Goats posted:

Stuff gets caught in velcro, slowly reducing it's ability to cling together.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

tbh pretty much everything is a waste of time and money in an objective sense, so spend it on what you enjoy, whether it's video games, building a business, starting a big family, who cares, in 2000 years nobody is going to care/remember what you did.

What if I’m the next Augustus or Alexander the Great though? It could happen.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tubgoat posted:

Frankly, I'ma say "his tribe" or nearest kin, who may opt to share him with archaeologists for purposes of research, but this is hell and his body would mysteriously disappear in transit and the site would be deliberately destroyed by colonists. :(

I know this is from ages ago but to be honest I think this is sort of bullshit. When the body is almost 9000 years old the nearly incomprehensible distance in time mean that he's almost certainly got an extremely tenuous connection to living people, at least on things like a cultural or linguistic level. Suggesting as much without evidence plays into a conception of pre Columbian America as a place that was static and unchanging which itself is a bit of an offshoot of the idea of American natives being noble savages whose ways of life have remained fixed since the beginning.

I'm not saying that the tribe shouldn't have say over what gets found on their land and there certainly is a complex history around archaeology and colonialism, but it's a bit like a random European talking about a proto indo European body as one of "their people".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The truth is that I have no real affection for other people and I know that this is abnormal, and this bothers me.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

khwarezm posted:

I know this is from ages ago but to be honest I think this is sort of bullshit. When the body is almost 9000 years old the nearly incomprehensible distance in time mean that he's almost certainly got an extremely tenuous connection to living people, at least on things like a cultural or linguistic level. Suggesting as much without evidence plays into a conception of pre Columbian America as a place that was static and unchanging which itself is a bit of an offshoot of the idea of American natives being noble savages whose ways of life have remained fixed since the beginning.

I'm not saying that the tribe shouldn't have say over what gets found on their land and there certainly is a complex history around archaeology and colonialism, but it's a bit like a random European talking about a proto indo European body as one of "their people".

I'd at least check if any Indo-Europeans cared first. :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
PHUO: It is fine to talk about the bad things a public figure did, regardless of how close it is to their death.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US and Canada should have a schengen-style arrangement. Mexico and Central America to join once we figure out what to do about los carteles (end the war on drugs)

Also a single currency, but call it the loving dollar, not “amero”. It will be based on the USD but formatted like canadian coins and bills.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we're maybe 50-100 years away from that, but that's still pretty close all things considered.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

PHUO: It is fine to talk about the bad things a public figure did, regardless of how close it is to their death.

Indeed so; one shouldn't feel obliged to be polite about someone who's died. I remember when I was told that Martin McGuinness had died, the person who told me gave me a hard time when my immediate reaction was, "Fine. I never liked him that much."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Astrology is good

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Astrology is good

Makes comfortable white people easier marks, agreed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Astrology is good

as long as you aren't a true believer and treat it like most people treat fortune cookies (just silly lighthearted fun), fine. If you really believe that kind of stuff matters, you might as well believe everything else magical in stories like harry potter is true too.

Calling an astronomer an astrologist though is one of my bigger peeves. I don't care if you call me "dr", in fact I'd prefer that nobody would, but telling everyone you have an astrologist in the family and being asked poo poo about constellations and relationship advice pisses me off. I can't even tell you which star is the north star, asking me to point out scorpio or whatever and telling you what house mercury is in is hopeless.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

as long as you aren't a true believer and treat it like most people treat fortune cookies (just silly lighthearted fun), fine. If you really believe that kind of stuff matters, you might as well believe everything else magical in stories like harry potter is true too.

Calling an astronomer an astrologist though is one of my bigger peeves. I don't care if you call me "dr", in fact I'd prefer that nobody would, but telling everyone you have an astrologist in the family and being asked poo poo about constellations and relationship advice pisses me off. I can't even tell you which star is the north star, asking me to point out scorpio or whatever and telling you what house mercury is in is hopeless.

A part of my inner child died when I learned that real astronomers spend more time doing boring math and computer poo poo than being crazy mountain hermits in observatories.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A part of my inner child died when I learned that real astronomers spend more time doing boring math and computer poo poo than being crazy mountain hermits in observatories.

Can't they just do the math in the hermit mountain observatories?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

They're doing it on purpose

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

there are ones that still go on long observing trips spending several days getting drunk on a mountain observing, but the more modern telescopes are generally operated by staff and you just send them instructions on where to point it, which is pretty boring. I was never very interested in the night owl aspect that draws a lot of people to astronomy though, I'm almost always in bed before 10 so in college the night labs were always a challenge.

Getting people who think space is really cool after watching shows like cosmos etc to not experience that inner child dying thing in their first real course was always a challenge. Makes you feel like a dick when you are disappointing more than half of the class, but it is what it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand the appeal of bands like Dream Theater. Specifically, I don't really understand the appeal of John Petrucci. It's weird but I just don't think there's anything interesting about a guy who can play literally perfectly. As guitarists go, I can't think of anyone in the rock field who has better technique than him but listening to the playing of guys like, say, Jimmy Page or Gary Moore or Billy Gibbons or even that ageing gently caress Ted Nugent is more rewarding to me, because nothing they do ever sounds effortless to me. I have similar feelings about guys like Satriani and Vai. Does that make sense?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait'll weed is legalised in your state, then you'll see.

I dunno, I really like a couple of their songs, even when not high, though hearing their music for the first time while high was loving amazing and a feeling everyone who isn't a war criminal should have at some point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't understand the appeal of bands like Dream Theater. Specifically, I don't really understand the appeal of John Petrucci. It's weird but I just don't think there's anything interesting about a guy who can play literally perfectly. As guitarists go, I can't think of anyone in the rock field who has better technique than him but listening to the playing of guys like, say, Jimmy Page or Gary Moore or Billy Gibbons or even that ageing gently caress Ted Nugent is more rewarding to me, because nothing they do ever sounds effortless to me. I have similar feelings about guys like Satriani and Vai. Does that make sense?

I mean it’s really common to dislike them for that reason but not understanding the appeal is weird.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

websites doing some unavoidable annoying overlay you can't turn off like "lol look at this dumb poo poo" is lame, that's some 4chan poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish it was socially acceptable to wear those "communist dictator chic" button down suits as sported by Kim Jong Un here:

They look so much cooler than regular suits, even on him.

websites doing some unavoidable annoying overlay you can't turn off like "lol look at this dumb poo poo" is lame, that's some 4chan poo poo.

lol my laptop made it so that as I saw this post, the overlay was directly over your name/avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh no, web site changed appearance