Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That just means I won't waste data on dumb gacha games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don't worry, you can turn on your phone's wifi hotspot and connect the tablet to that to waste your data on dumb games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/27/googles-project-fi-opens-up-to-samsung-oneplus-and-iphones/

Looks like Google will officially allow non-Fi phones to be activated on Fi. Including iPhones and Galaxy phones.

This is pretty awesome! Never expected this to happen and I might be upgrading my 1st Gen Pixel XL to an iPhone XR now. I have been wanting to get an iPhone but have been unwilling to leave Google Fi.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Data only Sims are nice. I have one in my laptop as well as my dedicated hotspot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

15 gb doesn't seem like much when you get into actual internet usage vs streaming a few songs or looking at Instagram. A weekend without wifi puts my phone into the 3gb range.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

15 gb doesn't seem like much when you get into actual internet usage vs streaming a few songs or looking at Instagram. A weekend without wifi puts my phone into the 3gb range.
15GB of mobile data per month is an extreme edge case for 90% of the population. It might not work for you but it's certainly not stingy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

American McGay posted:

15GB of mobile data per month is an extreme edge case for 90% of the population. It might not work for you but it's certainly not stingy.

I'm talking about hotspot/data sim. Most months I'm under 1 gb because I cleanse myself in the waters of wifi.

edit - Netflix claims 4 hours per gb of data on mobile, hot drat. That's less data than the Facebook app.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I purchased a phone to take advantage of the gift card deal yesterday. The e-mail saying my order had been confirmed had my previous address as the shipping location as I have moved recently, woops! I went to edit my order and google can't find my order at all, even though I have an order number. Goons, did I buy a phone or not? I sent an e-mail to googles support but who knows when they will get back to me.

EDIT: Well my order is showing up, but I can't change the shipping address as far as I can tell. So my only option is to cancel the order? Because that really stinks.

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 29, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You'll never see it and google won't do a thing to help you. Have fun!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Throwing my referral link out there just cause

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

cinnamon rollout posted:

I purchased a phone to take advantage of the gift card deal yesterday. The e-mail saying my order had been confirmed had my previous address as the shipping location as I have moved recently, woops! I went to edit my order and google can't find my order at all, even though I have an order number. Goons, did I buy a phone or not? I sent an e-mail to googles support but who knows when they will get back to me.

EDIT: Well my order is showing up, but I can't change the shipping address as far as I can tell. So my only option is to cancel the order? Because that really stinks.

Christ, I hope you cancelled it while you still could. Otherwise they'll ship it with no way to stop it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got an email confirming I'd get the travel gift card. FYI, if you're doing a trade-in it's the total cost of the phone minus the value of the trade-in.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Cloks posted:

Got an email confirming I'd get the travel gift card. FYI, if you're doing a trade-in it's the total cost of the phone minus the value of the trade-in.

Which is some serious bullshit, what's the point of trading in then?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Red Warrior posted:

Which is some serious bullshit, what's the point of trading in then?

I got the email and thought the same thing.

The optimal move was to buy the phone straight up, and sell your old phone separately. Trading in the old phone is a straight loss.

It's a baffling detail. The promo feels like it was a great idea but the details weren't quite in place.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Ok apparently they are updating the FAQ with this answer:

quote:

If I trade in a device, do I qualify for the Travel on Fi promotion?

Yes. You can redeem a travel gift card in the amount you paid for the device, excluding taxes, which is the phone price. You'll get your trade-in value as a Fi credit, in addition to the travel credit.

Note: This answer has been updated from our previously posted FAQ. We heard your feedback and apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
https://support.google.com/fi/thread/643233?hl=en&utm_source=project_fi&utm_campaign=Google_Fi_Promo_Confirm&utm_medium=email

Of course navigating the faq thread is a nightmare. But how on earth did that clause get put in the email in the first place? That's not confusion btw Google. People weren't confused about you saying you were going to change the terms of the deal.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mysteriously got an email today: "You've earned $90 Fi credit from the Bring Your Own Device promotion! You'll see the credit applied to your next bill(s)."

But... I bought a Pixel 3 from them during the $200 off/$200 credit promo...

I am not looking forward to arguing about them with this.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cloks posted:

Funny how nothing mentioned that when I purchased, and the purchase page showed the gift card value equal to the new phone value. Should have screen shotted it.

And the trade in is bullshit how they work it. They credit your bill over a few months. So if you still have a balance left on your Pixel 2, it works out something like -

$27 Pixel 2
$33 Pixel 3
$30 data
-$90 bill credit
$8 taxes + fees
Total: $8

So they credit you the max excluding taxes and fees until the $250 trade in value is satisfied.

But that might only be three months of paying for your Pixel 2 that you still owe $250 on.

So using this example, your bill totals are going to be:
Month 1: $8
Month 2: $8
Month 3: $28
Month 4: $98 - now you're still paying off that Pixel 2 that you don't own

Of course it normalizes since you paid nothing for a couple months, but you have to have the foresight and planning to cover those higher bills you're going to get while paying for multiple phones.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 1, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I'm glad the 5X I'm trading in doesn't even boot up because I'd be seriously pissed if I was trading in a Pixel 2 or similar. I took a bunch of screencaps during the entire process and it definitely says that you'd get a gift card for the price paid on the phone and doesn't mention trade-in lowering the value at all. I doubt I'd have been able to sell a boot looping 5X for more than $45 anyway (still confused why my 6P that works isn't worth $0.01 but a non-functional 5X is worth $45) so it isn't a big deal to me, but I'd definitely be hassling support if I traded in a Pixel or Pixel 2.

They've also already mailed me the trade-in box despite the phone not shipping for another 2 weeks so I guess it's a good thing I'm not trading in a phone I'm actually using! You'd think a company as big as Google would be able to handle this promo without bungling it but here we are.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Bloodplay it again posted:

They've also already mailed me the trade-in box despite the phone not shipping for another 2 weeks so I guess it's a good thing I'm not trading in a phone I'm actually using! You'd think a company as big as Google would be able to handle this promo without bungling it but here we are.

In all fairness, the trade-in program isn't handled by Google. So it's a right hand/left hand thing

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Hi guys, I am dumb. I have a cellphone number under my family's ATT plan. What do I do in advance to port my number? Will i be phoneless for a few days?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cromlech posted:

Hi guys, I am dumb. I have a cellphone number under my family's ATT plan. What do I do in advance to port my number? Will i be phoneless for a few days?
When I ported from AT&T it was painless -- I think I needed a PIN for the AT&T account maybe? Have you ordered the Fi phone or SIM yet? When I did it asked during the order process for info like the number and maybe that PIN and it was prepopulated on the phone when I booted it up, ready to initiate the port. Wait a few minutes, the number belongs to Fi, never had to talk to AT&T.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cromlech posted:

There's a form online where you can get everything ready.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I already have P3 with my ATT SIM in it.

Is the form on Fi's side or ATT's side?

Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The form is somewhere on the Fi page it'll say something like "get ready to switch numbers" but if you already have your phone as soon as you boot it up it should ask you to select a carrier (Fi) and ask if you're porting a number. The only thing the form does is automatically pull the data you already put in it.

The page says it could take 2-3 days for your calls/texts to switch over to your new device but for me (coming from AT&T) it took like 20 minutes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm glad the 5X I'm trading in doesn't even boot up because I'd be seriously pissed if I was trading in a Pixel 2 or similar.
That'd be me, and I'm not thrilled. I don't know how best to make loud noises about it, though.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I thought it was determined that the trade-in value won't get negated?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They'll pretty much slash your value because gently caress you, we have your phone now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ryanbruce posted:

I thought it was determined that the trade-in value won't get negated?
If it has been, I'd like to see that written down somewhere. Given that I haven't sent my phone back yet...

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If it has been, I'd like to see that written down somewhere. Given that I haven't sent my phone back yet...

See above but click 'More...' on this FAQ post, which was linked from the email they sent out previously:
https://support.google.com/fi/thread/643233?hl=en&utm_source=project_fi&utm_campaign=Google_Fi_Promo_Confirm&utm_medium=email

quote:

[UPDATED ANSWER] If I trade in a device, do I qualify for the Travel on Fi promotion?
Yes. You can redeem a travel gift card in the amount you paid for the device, excluding taxes, which is the phone price. You'll get your trade-in value as a Fi credit, in addition to the travel credit.

Note: This answer has been updated from our previously posted FAQ. We heard your feedback and apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Red Warrior posted:

See above but click 'More...' on this FAQ post, which was linked from the email they sent out previously:
Perfect. I can send this one back without worrying, then! Thanks :shobon:

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Does anyone here have experience with the call quality getting shittier?

I swapped over to Fi from ATT, and my call quality has gone through the floor. Everything sounds tinny, and volume doesn't seem to equalize correctly. I'm on a Pixel 3 XL, and had zero issues with this before.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dilber posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the call quality getting shittier?

I swapped over to Fi from ATT, and my call quality has gone through the floor. Everything sounds tinny, and volume doesn't seem to equalize correctly. I'm on a Pixel 3 XL, and had zero issues with this before.
What phone did you have before? It might have been doing some VOIP wizardry before.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

American McGay posted:

What phone did you have before? It might have been doing some VOIP wizardry before.

Same phone. I bought the Pixel 3 XL at launch, and only made the switch on Thanksgiving after getting everyone else in my family on pixels.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I had the opposite experience. Once my family got Fi with Pixels, the call quality got substantially better.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
So earlier I had purchased a phone through Google for the promotion they just had and had it accidentally shipped to a wrong address. Google was spectacularly unhelpful. I did manage to get the phone though, by going to the address I had accidentally shipped it to and talking to the person living there. Thank God they were understanding about the whole thing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
FedEx is not delivering to my address, the woman I talked to on the phone at FedEx suggested asking Google to send another phone.

Extremely helpful company, extremely normal solution.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FedEx is awful. I had a delivery a couple weeks ago - the guy walked up to my gate, put a "you weren't here" sticker on it, and left. He didn't come to the door or knock or anything. I ran down the street after him to get my package, and he acted pissed off at me.

When I saw my Pixel 3 was coming FedEx, I opened the door before they were up the walk. Luckily it was a different driver and she couldn't be more friendly, but she sure seemed to be in a hurry.

Not ten minutes later, another FedEx truck with a different driver drove up to my neighbor's house to deliver him a package.

I don't understand this company.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I work from home and still had to sit literally on the front porch and chase the FedEx truck down the road to get my wife's new pixel 3. FedEx is the absolute worst shipper. I don't understand why Google partners with them and they should be doing more to help customers who get screwed by FedEx.
Also the pixel 3 is super nice.. makes me want to swap my 2xl out for one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know how they operate, but I suspect the drivers pay is based on something that rewards them for saving time by not actually delivering things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know how they operate, but I suspect the drivers pay is based on something that rewards them for saving time by not actually delivering things.

I've had multiple times where I've seen the truck slow down drove past and the driver marks attempted delivery or delivered and will drop it off whenever he feels like it lol. They are independent contractors so I guess they can do whatever they want?