Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah don't pretend this is based on Rational Market Forces or anything, it's about two dudes in suits not getting along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

RareAcumen posted:

Meanwhile, Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. continues to flex and pose, undaunted by threats of cancellation.

This can’t be overstated. If someone told me AoS would outlive every Netflix show during its dogshit first season, it would’ve blown my mind.

I am eagerly awaiting the streaming bubble to burst, but it won’t be Disney+ that does it. I’m sure they’ll have enough content to sustain themselves, but gently caress you Showtime / Starz / FX Now, etc. for your walled gardens. You have like 1-2 good shows airing 3 months out of the year...you don’t deserve unique apps. Nobody watches Ray Donovan. gently caress you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/havensam/status/1068350428687912960

Like, the writing was on the wall, but you really think this poo poo would be better communicated.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lurdiak posted:

https://twitter.com/havensam/status/1068350428687912960

Like, the writing was on the wall, but you really think this poo poo would be better communicated.

afaik, this is typical for the TV industry. cast/crew usually don’t find out about renewal/cancellation decisions much, if at all, before the rest of the world does

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Xealot posted:

This can’t be overstated. If someone told me AoS would outlive every Netflix show during its dogshit first season, it would’ve blown my mind.

I am eagerly awaiting the streaming bubble to burst, but it won’t be Disney+ that does it. I’m sure they’ll have enough content to sustain themselves, but gently caress you Showtime / Starz / FX Now, etc. for your walled gardens. You have like 1-2 good shows airing 3 months out of the year...you don’t deserve unique apps. Nobody watches Ray Donovan. gently caress you.

Yeah Disney makes sense as it's own streaming thing even if it's annoying to me. STuff like CBS... not so much.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Xealot posted:

I'd forgive FX for having their own service if they brought back Terriers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

afaik, this is typical for the TV industry. cast/crew usually don’t find out about renewal/cancellation decisions much, if at all, before the rest of the world does

What a lovely way to treat people.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

This is in no way exclusive to the entertainment industry.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This is in no way exclusive to the entertainment industry.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If I had to guess a season 4 of Daredevil it would've combined Bendis' Hardcore and The Murdock Papers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whatever the case, S3 provides closure and a happy ending and Charlie Cox will hopefully go on to be amazing in something else.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yep. Nobody likes to tell someone they are going to fire them until they fire them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Related to the topic, cross posting from comic book movie thread

Dumb question: does Disney owning all these Marvel properties now mean anything to Universal Studios theme park? They have a bunch of Marvel themed rides (Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Dr. Doom) and are a direct competitor to Disney World.

What happens when the mouse wants to build an Avengers themed park or its own spiderman ride? Or do they just own film/tv rights? How does that work?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Personally feel like the Marvel TV shows nosedived pretty hard. I really liked Daredevil season 1 and had high hopes for the rest

Personally I did not even like JJ or Luke Cage at all. They were pretty bad, imo, apart from some of the villains. The punisher show had a few good episodes but as a whole was not particularly memorable.

I'm gonna watch Daredevil season 3 and see if it's a good sendoff but I can't say I'm sad that all the marvel shows are dying since many of them felt stillborn to begin with and the others that started with potential just ended in wet farts

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Daredevil and punisher were pretty good JJ and Luke Cage was ok. We don’t talk about Iron Fist. There’s definitely room for better shows though. Although they kinda poo poo on the name of Iron Fist so I wouldn’t expect them to do much with him unless they do Heroes for Hire or something. Bernthal is a really good Punisher and I Like Charlie Cox as Daredevil too so that’s a shame.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BiggerBoat posted:

Related to the topic, cross posting from comic book movie thread

Dumb question: does Disney owning all these Marvel properties now mean anything to Universal Studios theme park? They have a bunch of Marvel themed rides (Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Dr. Doom) and are a direct competitor to Disney World.

What happens when the mouse wants to build an Avengers themed park or its own spiderman ride? Or do they just own film/tv rights? How does that work?

Disney will try, but Universal has a pretty air tight contract on Marvel super heroes in amusement parks east of the Mississippi. Literally.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Zzulu posted:

Personally feel like the Marvel TV shows nosedived pretty hard. I really liked Daredevil season 1 and had high hopes for the rest

Personally I did not even like JJ or Luke Cage at all. They were pretty bad, imo, apart from some of the villains. The punisher show had a few good episodes but as a whole was not particularly memorable.

I'm gonna watch Daredevil season 3 and see if it's a good sendoff but I can't say I'm sad that all the marvel shows are dying since many of them felt stillborn to begin with and the others that started with potential just ended in wet farts

I'm not going as far as you did but yeah, the shows all pretty much nosedived very quickly. JJ season 1 was great, season 2 was a mess. Luke Cage started off great and then halfway through became a mess. Iron Fist was a notorious disaster. The Defenders was atrocious, and committed the cardinal sin of wasting Sigourney Weaver.

It's pretty remarkable how quickly the buzz died for these shows. I remember how much anticipation there was for Luke Cage, the Defenders, etc. and very quickly I was surprised by Daredevil season 3 because no one was talking about it. Maybe it was just a little too much superhero overload.

Oh well, it sucks there was lots of potential but we still got some good stuff out of all of it.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 1, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mike N Eich posted:

Maybe it was just a little too much superhero overload.

Nah it was Season 2 sucking my nuts of Daredevil. That was what started the spiral. It is super important to note they changed show runners.

The thing I will always remember about Season 2 is going halfway through "this is so incredibly loving goofy that this reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and then, with a "Wait a second..." I put together TMNT is a parody of Daredevil, which I never really got before.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think Daredevil shows up in TMNT at some point but yes, The Hand, The Foot.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Nah it was Season 2 sucking my nuts of Daredevil. That was what started the spiral. It is super important to note they changed show runners.

The thing I will always remember about Season 2 is going halfway through "this is so incredibly loving goofy that this reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and then, with a "Wait a second..." I put together TMNT is a parody of Daredevil, which I never really got before.

It's wild because the first half of Daredevil season 2 owns bones with the Punisher, but yeah good lord everything about the Hand in all the shows was just terrible

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!

Invalid Validation posted:

I think Daredevil shows up in TMNT at some point but yes, The Hand, The Foot.

Don't forget Stick and Splinter

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mike N Eich posted:

It's wild because the first half of Daredevil season 2 owns bones with the Punisher, but yeah good lord everything about the Hand in all the shows was just terrible

I dunno if the hand stuff in Daredevil S2 was bad (it definitely was in all the other shows), but it has the poor fortune to be running opposite the ongoing Punisher stuff that was knocking it out of the park.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Well... Yeah, literally

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The punisher was so goddamn weird. The daredevil episodes were great, so they decide to have an entire season of.... relationship drama where punisher fucks his partners wife

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Terror Sweat posted:

The punisher was so goddamn weird. The daredevil episodes were great, so they decide to have an entire season of.... relationship drama where punisher fucks his partners wife

Good to know you didn't want Punisher because that never happened.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Cythereal posted:

Good to know you didn't want Punisher because that never happened.

I want to watch the punisher he watched. Did it show the penetration?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I believe it was the Dolph Lundgren Punisher that had the full penetration and not the Jon Bernthal Punisher.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Johnson Baresitall is the Poonisher.
Vengeance is here. And it's cumming in your wife.

Having his sidekick named "Micro" isn't helping :effort:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

With double season renewal even.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrigaar posted:

Johnson Baresitall is the Poonisher.
Vengeance is here. And it's cumming in your wife.

Having his sidekick named "Micro" isn't helping :effort:

OK, that tagline made me laugh my rear end off.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Proposition Joe posted:

I believe it was the Dolph Lundgren Punisher that had the full penetration and not the Jon Bernthal Punisher.

Having the Punisher be able to literally smell crime was a little odd.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wait so are we getting Punisher 2? Or did they can the series after it had wrapped?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait so are we getting Punisher 2? Or did they can the series after it had wrapped?

Punisher 2 and Jessica Jones 3 have both wrapped and are coming out sometime next year. They're the only shows that haven't been canceled.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just read an interview with DDS3 Director about the prison riot single shot fight and he said they did six takes between 6 and 1 PM then they broke for lunch because 6 was really good, but then Charlie Cox was like “I wanna redo the whole thing because I think I can act better during the scene with the Albanians” and the 7th take was the one they used.

Charlie Cox is a treasure.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
crossposting from the BSS TV thread: Good Twitter thread analyzing the Netflix Marvel cancellations and rebutting a lot of the fan theories and speculation, by someone who’s done a lot of good analysis of Netflix’s business model (check his timeline for more).

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889?s=21

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Marvel lost Iron Fist, time to get the Shang Chi train going apparently?...

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-chi-marvel-studios-first-asian-film-superhero-dave-callaham-kevin-feige-black-panther-1202512660/

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I don't know about everybody else, but the way Luke Cage has currently ended is super depressing and hosed up and they need a Season 3.

Right now it's "Harlem had a hero, but we're leaving his story where he's on the path to becoming exactly like the villains he fought. The End."

gently caress. That.

This is from pages ago but - actually this rules and I think its hilarious and awesome that the entire Netflix Marvel universe will end with Luke Cage as a crime lord

Barry Convex posted:

crossposting from the BSS TV thread: Good Twitter thread analyzing the Netflix Marvel cancellations and rebutting a lot of the fan theories and speculation, by someone who’s done a lot of good analysis of Netflix’s business model (check his timeline for more).

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889?s=21

This is insightful and also tragic - the stuff about how it doesn't make sense for Netflix to shorten seasons even if it means there's a better product in the end is especially depressing

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 4, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly the writing was on the wall. I know it’s 2018 and every single POC has to be a shining example and pillar of the community but the actual character arc of Luke Cage just getting worn down and beaten until he finally has to become the corruption itself is a beautiful storyline, both as a comic book and also as a story of black men in America today. Luke Cage deserves a happy ending, maybe (Claire left for the right reasons IMO), but in the gritty real ness of MARVELNETFLIX he was never gonna get one.

Daredevil’s happy ending seems more earned because Matt and Karen had to go through a lot more and watched a lot more people die.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The fact that this whole franchise is over makes me even less interested in JJ3 (lol I already didn't care) and Punisher 2. Knowing it's a lame duck property makes me not care at all where they go with the story really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wamsutta posted:

The fact that this whole franchise is over makes me even less interested in JJ3 (lol I already didn't care) and Punisher 2. Knowing it's a lame duck property makes me not care at all where they go with the story really.

On the other hand, it might make them focus on bringing things to proper conclusions instead of leaving them open, which is the opposite of a problem these days. (Note: I'm not criticizing DDS3 because it actually did this very well)