Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Celeste is probably going to make me finally get some sort of controller grip/case for the handheld mode because playing it like that makes my hands cramp up in like under two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think it's really cool when games do things that only games can do. but less cool when they try to just be movies

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tender Bender posted:

I'm almost done with the main story I think and I'm impressed at how with such a simple moveset it keeps things fresh consistently. From trailers I thought like "pursuit by evil double" would be a major recurring threat but it's just part of one level.

My major complaint so far is that I wish the chapters were broken up a bit into separate stages because they're fairly long if you go digging for all the strawberries, which is fine at first but makes me not want to go back and look for the ones I missed.

To your first point, me too. The game really feels like the developers took the core mechanics and did absolutely every possible thing with them... and then just a few more for good measure. I mean, everybody who talks about the game says that, but they all say that because that's what it feels like.

I agree with you about your second point too. The game could be split up just a bit more, but when you're just playing through it, it feels fine. Then again you could always use that cheat menu to get as far as you need stress free, then do the remaining strawberries with the cheat mode off to do it the honest way. :)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 1, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Looper posted:

i think it's really cool when games do things that only games can do. but less cool when they try to just be movies

Nice juxtaposition between Kojima and Kojima

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

We’re probably gonna be getting Metroid Prime 4 stuff at the video game awards in five days hosted by the Doritos Man and that’s pretty cool

what makes you think that?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

In September Knightly confirmed Reggie would be there to show some stuff off. He included a picture of him and Reggie, with Reggie wearing a Metroid shirt under his blazer. It was recently announce the TGA would feature ten world reveals of anticipated games. Once this was announced those who will be involved at show starting dropping hints related to Metroid all over Twitter. It’s speculation but it’s seems fairly likely

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

Nintendo will probably announce something and the fact that we haven't heard a peep about MP4 other than the teaser trailer at LAST year's E3 makes it a good candidate.

They could also just do a lame hype trailer for Smash or something but I'd imagine it would be something bigger.

For reference, last year they dropped a "oh hey the Champions Ballad DLC for BOTW is available to download right now".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

In September Knightly confirmed Reggie would be there to show some stuff off. He included a picture of him and Reggie, with Reggie wearing a Metroid shirt under his blazer. It was recently announce the TGA would feature ten world reveals of anticipated games. Once this was announced those who will be involved at show starting dropping hints related to Metroid all over Twitter. It’s speculation but it’s seems fairly likely

neat, ty for the clarification

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ll probably double dip on firewatch since I haven’t played it since it was released and I’ve probably forgotten a bunch of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Started playing Xenoblade 2 again a bit after not touching it for a while
Can you transfer ownership of the random Gacha Blades or do i just need to assign them to a character blindly without knowing what I’m gonna get.
Also, how many of these blades are just gonna be generic trash that clutters my party screen and should I even bother

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can, but not freely. It requires an item called an Overdrive, which is fairly rare. In all honesty, having blades on the "right" drivers is not nearly as important as it might seem, so don't sweat it too hard - pretty much everyone gets at least one plot-locked Blade only for them so you can't gently caress anyone up too badly.

As for the generics, you'll want a decent amount of them for merc missions and they help if you're lacking in a certain element when those checks come up. You can also use this to get more Overdrives late-game by maxing out a 4* (iirc) generic blade and then releasing them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ColdPie posted:

I feel like anyone who enjoys video game stories has never read a book. Like RDR2? Larry McMurtry will blow your loving mind.

E: And you don't have to waste your life combing a fake horse, or whatever poo poo excuse for gameplay they cram in there, to experience the story.

I read constantly and still enjoy plenty of video game stories. Not everything has to be some deep cerebral experience to be enjoyable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t believe someone made an unironic read a book post.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

can you rotate a christmas duck to enjoy the simulated physical presence it occupies in your so-called "books"? i think not. checkmate, readers.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

imagine if people only watched the oscars for trailers of next year's movies

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have never read anything and I'm not going to start now

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Looper posted:

I'd like that. The oscars suck

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Final Fantasy X/X-2 and XII are up on Amazon.
$45 each. Not bad.

I'm gonna get XII because I've played the others a whole bunch already.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I'd like that. The oscars suck

Of course it sucks, it's an awards show

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Looper posted:

This would unironically result in the largest viewer count for the Oscars in years if not decades.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

What's a good book for someone who liked Celeste's story? Not being ironic.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arbitrary Number posted:

What's a good book for someone who liked Celeste's story? Not being ironic.

if you're a fan of video games you might like a little book called Ready Player One

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tender Bender posted:

My major complaint so far is that I wish the chapters were broken up a bit into separate stages because they're fairly long if you go digging for all the strawberries, which is fine at first but makes me not want to go back and look for the ones I missed.

GreatGreen posted:

I agree with you about your second point too. The game could be split up just a bit more, but when you're just playing through it, it feels fine. Then again you could always use that cheat menu to get as far as you need stress free, then do the remaining strawberries with the cheat mode off to do it the honest way. :)
There are multiple checkpoints per chapter you can jump back into and once you beat the level it shows a little list of icons indicating what strawberries you have and haven’t gotten per checkpoint when you pause :eng101:
also you only need to have the strawb poof away to get it, you don’t need to beat the level after

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m illiterate to own the libs

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Non-readers aren't allowed to enjoy pokemon games.

It says so on the back of the box.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Licarn posted:

Non-readers aren't allowed to enjoy pokemon games.

It says so on the back of the box.

But how are they going to find out if they can't read the back of the box? :thunk:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does anybody know if/when Celeste is getting a physical release? I'm holding out for that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

Does anybody know if/when Celeste is getting a physical release? I'm holding out for that.

I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t at least get a Limited Run Games printing.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

gmq posted:

But how are they going to find out if they can't read the back of the box? :thunk:

Somebody never dealt with DRM from the floppy-disk era of games

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

b_d posted:

There are multiple checkpoints per chapter you can jump back into and once you beat the level it shows a little list of icons indicating what strawberries you have and haven’t gotten per checkpoint when you pause :eng101:
also you only need to have the strawb poof away to get it, you don’t need to beat the level after

Omg I didn't know this, thanks!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

God some of these strawberries in celeste are just brutal. I have to put the thing down for a second after I finally get one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Volte posted:

Celeste is probably going to make me finally get some sort of controller grip/case for the handheld mode because playing it like that makes my hands cramp up in like under two minutes.

The pain was extreme for me too. The d buttons being so low hosed up one hand and the need to basically always be holding the trigger to grip hosed up the other.
I played through it though cause it was good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What makes these winged starwbe er ths decide to go away. Seems random. Different trigger every screen? Is that the puzzle.

Oh is ts dashing? Think I just solved it. Is it always dashing?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it’s if you air dash. it takes them a sec to flap away so you can dash to hit em

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

b_d posted:

it’s if you air dash. it takes them a sec to flap away so you can dash to hit em

Thanks.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Brother Entropy posted:

if you're a fan of video games you might like a little book called Ready Player One

Ooof, I know this isn't serious, but I'm obligated to recommend snow crash any time I see that hacky ripoff mentioned.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

snow crash used to be the punchline book. I only read it once like 15 years ago so I don’t know if it’s warranted, BUT the guys name is hiro protagonist and he motorcycles around in VR with two swords and gets a hot punk gf with a future skateboard

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

b_d posted:

snow crash used to be the punchline book. I only read it once like 15 years ago so I don’t know if it’s warranted, BUT the guys name is hiro protagonist and he motorcycles around in VR with two swords and gets a hot punk gf with a future skateboard

the hot punk gf is also underage if i'm remembering it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eat fresh