Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I've never been much of a sniper in any game let alone a battlefield but bf1 was the easiest by far. but I rather hip fire the automatico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

zooted heh posted:

I've never been much of a sniper in any game let alone a battlefield but bf1 was the easiest by far. but I rather hip fire the automatico.

Yeah the sweetspot mechanic and high bullet velocity made sniping pretty easy. I almost find it easier in bfv though, since everyone moves slower than bf1 and the massive head hitboxes.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I’m actually finding BF5 easier than BF1, but that might be exclusively a medic thing.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just started playing this after getting it included in a One X bundle. First impressions are it seems much more bright & colourful compared to BF1's grime (different setting I know) that will take some getting used to.

Also the sound effects don't seem as good, maybe I have to fiddle with settings but they seem slightly muffled. I chose the Headphones preset so maybe that's just a bad preset.

Otherwise I'm liking it so far but it's hard to remember there's no spotting, when by reflex whenever someone shoots at me that I can't see I'm so used to spamming it on them. :v:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Fanatic posted:

Just started playing this after getting it included in a One X bundle. First impressions are it seems much more bright & colourful compared to BF1's grime (different setting I know) that will take some getting used to.

Also the sound effects don't seem as good, maybe I have to fiddle with settings but they seem slightly muffled. I chose the Headphones preset so maybe that's just a bad preset.

Otherwise I'm liking it so far but it's hard to remember there's no spotting, when by reflex whenever someone shoots at me that I can't see I'm so used to spamming it on them. :v:

Use the 3D Headphones audio setting, also what’s your GT?

FYI: I found out last night that swapped out weapons will hang around for a while. I took a sniper overwatching the hangar on Aerodrome last night with my M1A1, then swapped out with his Krag-Jorgensen and got a couple headshots, and when I turned back around at least a minute or so later, my M1A1 was still laying there waiting for me. It honestly felt like I was in a single player campaign using whatever worked best for right then.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 2, 2018

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

3D Headphones or War Tapes are the audio settings to use

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

Use the 3D Headphones audio setting, also what’s your GT?

FYI: I found out last night that swapped out weapons will hang around for a while. I took a sniper overwatching the hangar on Aerodrome last night with my M1A1, then swapped out with his Krag-Jorgensen and got a couple headshots, and when I turned back around at least a minute or so later, my M1A1 was still laying there waiting for me. It honestly felt like I was in a single player campaign using whatever worked best for right then.

Yeah I switched to 3D Headphones and it's much better!

My GT is Lockie but there's probably not much point adding me unless you play on Oceania.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Fjell is such a terrible loving map. I refuse to ever play breakthrough on it again. Even conquest on Fjell isnt enjoyable. It reminds me of Argonne but worse in every possible way. I've heard Hamada isnt great but somehow I've never played that map even after 10 to 15 hours of playing. I'm mostly enjoying the game but it doesn't come close to being as enjoyable as BF1, I'm just not a fan of the decreased TTK and the ammo changes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Live At Five! posted:

Fjell is such a terrible loving map. I refuse to ever play breakthrough on it again. Even conquest on Fjell isnt enjoyable. It reminds me of Argonne but worse in every possible way. I've heard Hamada isnt great but somehow I've never played that map even after 10 to 15 hours of playing. I'm mostly enjoying the game but it doesn't come close to being as enjoyable as BF1, I'm just not a fan of the decreased TTK and the ammo changes.

It's even worse than Argonne because there are goddamn mountains that people climb and camp on with sniper rifles and KE7's.

The worst that Argonne had to offer was C turning into a bottleneck for morons that thought C was key to winning the game and didn't understand the concept of flanking. Fjell is Argonne but 20 times worse. Argonne didn't have bomber planes, either.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Air fights in Fjell are fun, otherwise map is utter garbage

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

A Typical Goon posted:

Air fights in Fjell are fun, otherwise map is utter garbage

Agreed

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I find myself loving the hell out of Rotterdam, Devestation and Arras and not much else. Also, Grand Operations beats the hell out of every other mode, especially since Conquest maps no longer have 1,000 tickets and are often over in 20 mins or less.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Gonz posted:

It's even worse than Argonne because there are goddamn mountains that people climb and camp on with sniper rifles and KE7's.

The worst that Argonne had to offer was C turning into a bottleneck for morons that thought C was key to winning the game and didn't understand the concept of flanking. Fjell is Argonne but 20 times worse. Argonne didn't have bomber planes, either.

It is insane how much fun it is to start a huge fight at C then immediate peace out after a few deaths and back cap everything else.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I just hope we end up getting more diverse maps that are similar to Empire's Edge or Sinai. The bigger the better. And for the love of God, I am not suggesting that the tanks be made indestructible, but the ability to kill a tank with 2 well placed rocket strikes kinda of devalues the concept of Battlefield's whole "This FPS series has always had a diverse selection of badass vehicles you can use, unlike some other game that we won't name!" thing.

The vehicles just seem like background noise, now. You spawn one and then 60 seconds later you're dead. Playing with teammates who can help protect you and move in packs with you is impossible unless you're squadded up with friends on a headset.

Beastie posted:

It is insane how much fun it is to start a huge fight at C then immediate peace out after a few deaths and back cap everything else.

I played Battlefield 1 multiple times a week, every week, since the game was released, and there was quite literally no instances I ever witnessed over the course of playing Argonne Forest where people learned that lesson. Nope. They would all just rush to C and shoot each other for 40 minutes and more often than not, the team that controlled C never faced an opponent who would flank them and win the map easily.

I ended up top 100 on Earth on the PS4 for shotgun kills, though. Because I never gave a gently caress about KDR. I cared about flanking idiots and playing the objectives.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Fjell is what happens when DICE thinks the problem with Argonne is too much cover and not enough planes. Also gently caress the whole building fortification nonsense. It almost always feels like a massive waste of time that is only a slight inconvenience to attackers, especially with the prevalence of explosives. I hope that system gets axed for BF6. I do love the squad revive system though, makes squad play much more enjoyable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Live At Five! posted:

Also gently caress the whole building fortification nonsense.
But but but fortnite

quote:

I do love the squad revive system though, makes squad play much more enjoyable.

This is the only thing BF6 has gotten right

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

e.pilot posted:

But but but fortnite

This is the only thing BF6 has gotten right

God I didnt even think about fortnite being an "inspiration" for the building fortifications mechanic. What a nightmare.

I do think BFV is the skeleton of a great game, so hopefully the game shapes up via tides of war. The lack of dorito shooting is good and I'm glad that tanks are pretty vulnerable without infantry support but it just feels like something is missing. I miss being able to play aggressive scout, which is pretty much all I did in BF1. Using anything that isnt automatic is pretty much a death sentence.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The fortifications are great in the attack/defend modes like Breakthrough and they’re useless in ring around the rosie like Conquest and Domination. Hence why Conquest is the worst it’s ever been

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So like if I'm in a bomber tryna grind out some poo poo that actually gets some kills and I got a fighter on my tail... what do? The best I can come up with is to immediately eat dirt just to deny the other guy a kill.

edit: not the first one to mention this, but poo poo takes ages to rank up. still haven't ranked up any aircraft at all, gotten enough kills i should have rank 1 at least. but no.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

So like if I'm in a bomber tryna grind out some poo poo that actually gets some kills and I got a fighter on my tail... what do? The best I can come up with is to immediately eat dirt just to deny the other guy a kill.

edit: not the first one to mention this, but poo poo takes ages to rank up. still haven't ranked up any aircraft at all, gotten enough kills i should have rank 1 at least. but no.

Fly JU-88 only. If the fighter is non-upgraded you hop to the rear guns and shoot it down before your own plane crashes.

If they are upgraded, you might as well crash if you have no ground AA support.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fjell is one of my favorite maps. No lie.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Chazani posted:

Fly JU-88 only. If the fighter is non-upgraded you hop to the rear guns and shoot it down before your own plane crashes.

If they are upgraded, you might as well crash if you have no ground AA support.
Spent about fifteen minutes using the rear gun, I recall two hitmarkers

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Wow that French war story is ridiculous on Hardcore. Not only are your allies totally useless, you get nade spammed, noob toobed and shelled constantly by enemies who respawn faster than you can kill them lol. Somehow I persevered through it.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The fortifications are great in the attack/defend modes like Breakthrough and they’re useless in ring around the rosie like Conquest and Domination. Hence why Conquest is the worst it’s ever been

:agreed: I was initially turned off by it assuming it was like Fortnite, but because they restrict you to predefined areas it actually works really well in those attack/defend modes but yeah, might aswell not exist in Conquest.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I only play conquest really so I should usually ignore the fortifications then?

Maybe I should try out the “bigger” modes but eh

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Friar Zucchini posted:

This sums up pretty much every air to air battle

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I like them in principle, but they need to be toughened up. It’s a waste of time to build up an objective only to get killed immediately when your shitheel pubby team abandons the position and the other team can just waltz in effortlessly. The kill cam blips a red outline and the name for like a second, then the bleed out sequence begins.

My kd is a steady .4 here, while in bf1 and BF4 it was usually at least 1.5. One shotted from across the map all the time, can’t see anyone. Is there some insane hdr thing going on? The outdoor maps are insanely bright, so I can’t see the text on the screen, but if I turn it down, I can’t see anything indoors.

I guess I need to learn the maps or something, it’s frustratingly rough, and not the fun way BF4 was broken for the first few months.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

red19fire posted:

My kd is a steady .4 here, while in bf1 and BF4 it was usually at least 1.5. One shotted from across the map all the time, can’t see anyone. Is there some insane hdr thing going on? The outdoor maps are insanely bright, so I can’t see the text on the screen, but if I turn it down, I can’t see anything indoors.

I guess I need to learn the maps or something, it’s frustratingly rough, and not the fun way BF4 was broken for the first few months.

So much this. V just feels frustratingly broken and half baked, even by BF standards.

BF1 was the first FPS game I was able to really get into since the counter strike source days. I played it for literally hundreds of hours and was an absolute force in the game.

I want to like BFV so badly but it’s just not fun :saddowns:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

red19fire posted:

I like them in principle, but they need to be toughened up. It’s a waste of time to build up an objective only to get killed immediately when your shitheel pubby team abandons the position and the other team can just waltz in effortlessly. The kill cam blips a red outline and the name for like a second, then the bleed out sequence begins.

e.pilot posted:

So much this. V just feels frustratingly broken and half baked, even by BF standards.

BF1 was the first FPS game I was able to really get into since the counter strike source days. I played it for literally hundreds of hours and was an absolute force in the game.

I want to like BFV so badly but it’s just not fun :saddowns:

Yeah I can absolutely wreck poo poo in BF4 but I’m just finding BFV incredibly frustrating on console. The audio and TTD bugs combined with the low TTK and poor player visibility make it almost impossible to do well without cheesing the gently caress out of the game. I’m actually enjoying the game quite a bit on PC because mouse and keyboard controls and better graphics mostly mitigate the above issues, but on console the game is just garbage right now. Doesn’t help that XIM is very obviously becoming much more common.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t mean to be a dick but it sounds like you’re just not used to/good at the game yet. I’m often in the upper 50% and only solo queue + lone wolf often. I’m not amazing by any means and it took me a while to figure out the flow of the game but it’s not that difficult to me at least. You have to get a good feel and sense for how battles tend to go on each map. Maybe spend some rounds hanging back behind groups and playing support until you get an idea for the flow of the maps and how to detect enemies from far off. It can definitely be overwhelming but it’s not broken or massively overhauled. It’s still Battlefield. There’s a big update coming tomorrow too by the way, might address some of your concerns. It won’t have TTD/TTK changes but they said on reddit that they’re working on those and listening.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Noctone posted:

Yeah I can absolutely wreck poo poo in BF4 but I’m just finding BFV incredibly frustrating on console. The audio and TTD bugs combined with the low TTK and poor player visibility make it almost impossible to do well without cheesing the gently caress out of the game. I’m actually enjoying the game quite a bit on PC because mouse and keyboard controls and better graphics mostly mitigate the above issues, but on console the game is just garbage right now. Doesn’t help that XIM is very obviously becoming much more common.

ESP on PC is much more common than XIM is on console, so I'd say that's a huge mark against PC. The most popular cheat site even added the aimbot back recently (after it was causing bans, which ESP has basically never done by itself,) so it's gotten even worse.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The reflex & nydar sights are surprisingly good at helping you distinguish targets because they dim a lot of lens flare, muzzle flashes, and explosions on screen. Theyre great if you don’t mind the loss of fine aim

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Friar Zucchini posted:

I don't mean to be a dick but... maybe your aim sucks? The rear guns on both the bombers will shred fighters very fast if you can hit them.

Also the Blenheim becomes much more usable once you get the forward facing machine gun spec or whatever it's called. Despite the name you can spin the turret 360°, which ends up giving the Blenheim more fire power than even the JU-88.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lambskin posted:

I don't mean to be a dick but... maybe your aim sucks? The rear guns on both the bombers will shred fighters very fast if you can hit them.

There could be a break of understanding here.

Swapping to the gun turret in your own bomber can shred a tailing fighter quickly, yes. But this guy may be describing trying to be a gunner for somebody else, possibly someone juking wildly when confronted by a fighter. In that case... yeah you'll be lucky to hit anything at all.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

There could be a break of understanding here.

Swapping to the gun turret in your own bomber can shred a tailing fighter quickly, yes. But this guy may be describing trying to be a gunner for somebody else, possibly someone juking wildly when confronted by a fighter. In that case... yeah you'll be lucky to hit anything at all.

Ah yeah that would be fair. I generally try to fly smoothly when I have a gunner so they can actually hit whatever is shooting at me. Unless it's a mosquito, then I'm just going to try to get the hell out of there.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Yeah it's pretty hard shooting the tail gun on a bomber when a random is flying. Your cross hair sits a inch below or a above the attacker and your can't hit because the guy flying refuses to adjust for you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lambskin posted:

Also the Blenheim becomes much more usable once you get the forward facing machine gun spec or whatever it's called. Despite the name you can spin the turret 360°, which ends up giving the Blenheim more fire power than even the JU-88.

Otoh being able to swap quickly back and forth from gunner to pilot can make the difference in getting a repair off before a fighter returns for another pass

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t mean to be a dick but it sounds like you’re just not used to/good at the game yet. I’m often in the upper 50% and only solo queue + lone wolf often. I’m not amazing by any means and it took me a while to figure out the flow of the game but it’s not that difficult to me at least. You have to get a good feel and sense for how battles tend to go on each map. Maybe spend some rounds hanging back behind groups and playing support until you get an idea for the flow of the maps and how to detect enemies from far off. It can definitely be overwhelming but it’s not broken or massively overhauled. It’s still Battlefield. There’s a big update coming tomorrow too by the way, might address some of your concerns. It won’t have TTD/TTK changes but they said on reddit that they’re working on those and listening.

I've played every BF so far and I'm finally getting to the point where I'm pretty decent at BFV...and I still don't like it. Honestly I'm just not having that much fun with it for similar reasons to the above posters. There's very little weapon and gadget variety, the infantry/air/ground vehicle dynamic feels wonky and there are just tons of rough edges and small annoyances. I felt kinda the same about BF1 at launch, so I'm going to come back to it in a few months and give it another go.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Game is good an fine. Needs some tweaking but I mean jesus, were talking about BF games here. BF4 was actually truly unplayable because you couldn’t launch the client, compared to that the game is fine. I don’t know how many times this has been said in this thread, but if you’re comparing BFV as it is right now to BF1 or BF4, games that have been out for years and have years worth of patches, balancing changes, and DLC, then gently caress yeah you’ll be disappointed.

Also lol at complaining about fortifications being worthless because your squad mate ran off as if that’s a problem with the game and not the people playing it. Which will be an issue in every single multiplayer game you have played or will play

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So, Origin access; I can pay $5 for a month and play this game all I want, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I understand "fortifications are dumb" if you're just playing conquest err day. But in every other mode they are useful and good.