Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

onions onions onions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Louder: ONIONS ONIONS ONIONS

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I fuckin' love garlic and onions.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Okay, Kombucha.

What the gently caress is this hippy poo poo?

Kombucha is lightly fermented tea. Bit of alcohol, bit of vinegar, bit of tea.

What is it good for?

So, wierd hippies claim all kinds of bullshit health benefits, as weird hippies are wont to do. Really, it just tastes good and tends to help settle your stomach.

Why would you brew it instead if just buying it at the store?

Three reasons, really. One, the store stuff is expensive as hell. It's super cheap to make your own. Two, they can't sell actual strength kombucha at most stores because it's slightly too alcoholic, so they tend to water it down a bit and add more sugar to mainstream the flavor profile. Homemade is the easiest way to find the authentic stuff. Third, there's a bunch of crazy flavors that you can try and it's way easier to do it yourself than find someone selling stuff besides lemon-ginger.

Okay, so how do you booch?

One, get a mother. Also known as a kombucha mushroom, or a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). It's a pad of slimy fungus and bacteria, usually shipped wet and in some liquid. Dry ones are sold, but tend to be a pain in the rear end to rehydrate. Why is it sometimes called a mother? More on that later.

Two, get a glass vessel that holds at least 1.25 gallons, ideally with a. Spigot at the bottom. Clean thoroughly using hot water or 1:1 mix of hot water and vinegar. Don't use anything like antibacterial soaps that might try to kill your mother.

Heat 1 quart of water to just below boiling. Combine with 4-6 teabags of caffeinated tea or 1-2 tablespoons loose leaf tea. Black, white, green, oolong, puerh, etc. Steep for 5-15 min, then remove the tea leaves

Add 1 cup sugar, stir until dissolved.

Pour three quarts of cool water into your brewing vessel, add the hot sweet tea concentrate on top. This prevents you from cracking the glass vessel with the hot tea and cools it down by diluting it with the cool water so it won't kill your mother. If it's warmer than 100F, cover the jar with a cloth and let it cool.

With clean hands, slip the mother onto the top of the tea in the brewing vessel. Pour the liquid it came with gently into the top of the vessel so it mostly stays up near the top.

Cover the vessel with a breathable cloth, secure with a rubber band to prevent it from slipping off and keeping fruit flies out, stick the vessel somewhere that is ideally between 75-85 F out of direct sunlight.

Let it sit for 7-21 days.

At first, the mother will probably fall to the bottom of the vessel. As it brews, the mother will rise to the top until it floats just under the surface. A thin film will develop on the surface as well, thickening over time. This is a new baby SCOBY, and can be used just like a mother. Each SCOBY loses potency over time, they can generally be used for 5-10 brews at least. But your original mother will make a whole bunch of baby SCOBYs, which you can use for new brews or give to friends or even eat.

Start tasting a small amount with a straw or from your spigot on the bottom starting about 5 days in, bottle when you like the taste. It'll get more vinegary and alcoholic over time. When you like the taste, remove two cups of the liquid, then the mother and your new baby SCOBY. This is your new starter liquid and SCOBYs for your next batch. Find another big glass vessel, fill it with sugar tea just like you were brewing another batch, and add the SCOBYs and starter liquid. This is your SCOBY hotel where you store them when you're not brewing. Store it in a dark area at room temp covered with a cloth.

Take your freshly brewed batch, stick it in bottles (I like 16 oz swing-top caps).

Try any of the following flavors, or experiment on your own. Stick in each bottle, cap, and let it sit 1-3 days at room temp in darkness to carbonate, then stick in the fridge.

Amar Al-din
1 tbsp diced dried apricots, 1 tsp honey per bottle.

Midnight Fire
2 tbsp quartered blackberries, 1 tsp fresh diced ginger.

Turkish coffee
1 tbsp chopped date, 1 tbsp brewed coffee, 1/8 tap cardamom, 1/8 tsp ground cloves

Ruby Sage
2 tbsp Ruby red grapefruit juice, 1/2 tsp fresh sage

Peach Fuzz
2 tbsp kiwi, peeled and chopped, 2 tbsp peach, peeled and diced.

Pink lemonade
2 tbsp strawberries, chopped, 1 spring fresh thyme, 1 tsp lemon juice.

All of those are from the Big Book of Kombucha by Crum & LaGory. Highly recommended.

Warning:. Don't try to drink a whole bottle of home brewed kombucha as soon as it's done. It'll probably send you running to the bathroom. It can be a moving experience Think about a quarter of a bottle as a serving size. Over time you get more used to it and it won't have as strong an impact on your guts.

Crakkerjakk has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Dec 1, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Crakkerjakk posted:

It can be a moving experience

how on earth have i not heard this euphemism before, lmao

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Just tasted Kewpie mayo for the first time, and holy gently caress guys

I don't even like mayonnaise. At all. But this is some really good poo poo. Tried it on a burg and some chicken, next I'm gonna make deviled eggs with it

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Kewpie is good poo poo, but I'm not sure how far 'there are identifiable eggs, mustard, and vinegar in this, it's not just industrial sandwich lubricant' will go in seasoned egg yolks

it makes a mean potato salad tho

on the topic of crossing the streams between Japanese and western cooking, I have an effortpost coming this week of an attempt to turn Osakan soul food into a state fair monstrosity that should be c-spam as gently caress. just need to wait for a day where I can afford to be glued to the shitter if it turns out bad.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Let me reiterate how wonderful Kewpie is. I literally tried it one time, and HW Bush dropped the gently caress dead

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

great write-up, will report back when my first batch is brewing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
MEAT AND POTATOES

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Listen up you fat motherfuckers, eat some Chanko Nabe Sumo Soup and get swole from wrasslin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EirVa3tAw. Pork/Beef/Fish broth with daikon, bok choi and onions. Pork meatballs made with panko and onions, maybe some pork belly or shrimp if you want. A shitload of ginger and soy sauce and garlic. The secret ingredient is rage. Serve with rice.

I'm browning some pork meatballs for this right now and already I wanna suplex a binch.

edit: The soup is actually pretty lean, you could use it to cut. Just strip out the rice and/or noodles and DON'T eat 10 big bowls of it a day

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Grimoire posted:

Listen up you fat motherfuckers, eat some Chanko Nabe Sumo Soup and get swole from wrasslin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EirVa3tAw. Pork/Beef/Fish broth with daikon, bok choi and onions. Pork meatballs made with panko and onions, maybe some pork belly or shrimp if you want. A shitload of ginger and soy sauce and garlic. The secret ingredient is rage. Serve with rice.

I'm browning some pork meatballs for this right now and already I wanna suplex a binch.

edit: The soup is actually pretty lean, you could use it to cut. Just strip out the rice and/or noodles and DON'T eat 10 big bowls of it a day

I've been meaning to make this. What's a good recipe for meatballs meant for soup?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the petit bourgeois stromboli:

1. go to grubhub.com

2. order a stromboli

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

the petit bourgeois stromboli:

1. go to grubhub.com

2. order a stromboli

uh, call your local strombo place people.

grubhub is bad

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Made a ham today. Bought a ham, put some pineapple on it, baked it.

Ham.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Made a ham today. Bought a ham, put some pineapple on it, baked it.

Ham.

Take whatever leftover ham you have in a day or two as well as the ham bone, throw it in a slow cooker with some beans (I like great northern, but it'd probably work with anything) that you soaked overnight, add some diced/crushed tomatoes, onions, whatever salt/spices you want (you'll probably want garlic and salt), maybe a bit of brown sugar, splash of mustard, it's all really very variable. Fill it up the rest of the way with the broth of your choice (or water), set it up in the morning, ignore it all day except maybe to stir occasionally.

Serve with rice or over cornbread or however you like it.

Ham&beans.

(And it will taste even better a day or two after you cook it.)

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Doc Walrus posted:

I've been meaning to make this. What's a good recipe for meatballs meant for soup?

I did roughly 1 lbs ground pork, panko, an egg for binder, 1 diced yellow onion, uh an indeterminate amount of chives, 2 cloves garlic, a bit of fresh ginger, 1 tbsp of miso paste, splash of soysauce and pepper to taste. Scoop and ball the mix, roughly 1 tbsp per ball. Cook till brown in a frying pan with a bit of sesame oil before dumping them in the stew for more flavor than just boiling the pork mix.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Plinkey posted:

uh, call your local strombo place people.

grubhub is bad

ya that's why it's a petit bourgeois stromboli

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I like Avocados

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

my extended family slaughters pigs every year, and then shares the meat with everyone. years ago I made some pics documenting the whole process, from death to sausage. it's pretty gnarly if you never seen a backyard butchering. I could post some, if there's interest.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

go nuts. i never get to do anything gnarlier than clean fish.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
The first burger posted in Cooking With C-SPAM is required to be a monstrosity

Featuring bacon, sauteed onions, colby jack cheese, kewpie mayo (not pictured), and a third slice of bread in the middle

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Crakkerjakk posted:

Okay, Kombucha.

I have hella kombucha brewing and drink it all the time but never tried flavoring it, going to try this and report back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh water crackers are so expensive but they're the best thing to eat with cheese

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
kombucha is utter tripe imo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Baloogan posted:

kombucha is utter tripe imo

I'm shocked, shocked that this poster would hold a bad opinion

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

twoday posted:

I have hella kombucha brewing and drink it all the time but never tried flavoring it, going to try this and report back

Cool! Let me know what you think. That book I mentioned has an absolute fuckton of flavoring recipes. The ones I posted are only a small selection of the fruit ones.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

I'm shocked, shocked that this poster would hold a bad opinion
It tastes like poo poo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
komboucha is actually irl bad and homemade komboucha is NOT a suitable gift to bring to a party

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
more like komfuckcha

twoday
May 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

ugh water crackers are so expensive but they're the best thing to eat with cheese

Buy matzo instead, it's exactly the same thing but bigger and cheaper

Just make sure to seal the bag with a clip or they will quickly go stale

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll admit, 'rotten mushroom tea' isn't really at the top of my list of sought out experiences, but I'll try anything once. (Don't really do alcohol, though, so.)

I was reminded the other day of my favorite stupid fish recipe, and my other favorite stupid fish recipe, both of which I'm probably cooking this week as me and the roommate are in full ANYTHING BUT TURKEY mode right now.

Stupid Fish Recipe #1:

- Pound or so of fish fillets, unbreaded. Walleye is nice, so is tilapia, probably works with drat near anything.

- Stick of butter (or equivalent amount of your preferred cooking oil)

- Some lemon juice

- Some garlic

- Vegetables. Frozen is fine. Fresh is good. Something with some heft, like broccoli and cauliflower and carrots. Mushrooms too if you like. Almonds would probably be good if you don't mind having the SOULS OF THE WILDFIRE DAMNED on your conscience.

- Whatever other spice you want to taste, but you don't need much. Fish flavors are subtle and you don't want to drown them out.

Melt the butter with the lemon juice and the garlic. Dip the fish in the butter, throw in baking pan. (I use a cast iron skillet.) Throw vegetables on top. Pour the rest of the buttery stuff overtop. Bake at about 350 for 15-20 minutes til it's good and flakey. Serve with rice if you want.

Stupid Fish Recipe #2: Basically this one. You definitely want a baking dish with walls (or, again, a cast iron skillet) for this one because your packets will leak liquid and it will be messy. But super tasty.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i made salmon a few days ago. it was on sale for like $6/lb and it baked really, really well. made it similar to your first recipe

twoday
May 4, 2005

docbeard posted:

I'll admit, 'rotten mushroom tea' isn't really at the top of my list of sought out experiences, but I'll try anything once. (Don't really do alcohol, though, so.)

It's rotten tea the way yogurt is rotten milk, or wine is rotten grape juice. As for alcohol content, it's usually less than 1% and I don't think it's possible to get drunk from it, though there are various reasons people can not have alcohol. Even the kombucha sold in stores has some alcohol, but because they keep it less than 0.5% it doesn't get labeled as an alcoholic beverage.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Speaking of weird vinegar drinks, y'all should try Switchel/Haymakers Punch

This stuff was made by farmers back in the 18th century. Great at replacing electolytes, and tasty. Use in any situation you might decide to drink a sports drink.

Mix together:

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
4 cups (960 ml) water
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup grape juice

Shake. Drink.

I usually quadruple everything but the water in a 1 quart mason jar to make a concentrate, then mix it in with 4 cups of water 1 cup of concentrate at a time. Change up the kind of sweetener and juice for different flavors, keep the salt and vinegar constant.

Oh, also drinking vinegar, for cocktails:

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups mixed berries (I use frozen)

Put in mason jar, shake, leave on kitchen counter for a week, shaking once a day.

Strain out the fruit, and add:

1 cup sugar

Shake it till the sugar dissolves. Refrigerate another week.

Dilute 4:1 with whatever cocktail mixers seem fun. I usually do 1 part drinking vinegar, 1 part alcohol (gin or vodka work well with this flavor), and three parts sparkling water.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Sounds like Posca:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posca

That was a mix of vinegar, water, sometimes honey, and maybe coriander seed. It was a sort of energy drink for Roman soldiers.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

twoday posted:

Sounds like Posca:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posca

That was a mix of vinegar, water, sometimes honey, and maybe coriander seed. It was a sort of energy drink for Roman soldiers.

It does. It tastes pretty good once you mix it with some diluted fruit juice. I prefer it to gatorade and such.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

ate the rest of the ham yesterday

made some cinnamon rolls because it snowed over the weekend and we wanted comfy food

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hell yeah