Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anime Reference posted:

:sigh: Just another omnicidal nihilist in a JRPG.
Yeah, it's a shame. His backstory and that discussion with Alice made him seem like he was so much more complex than that. It actually kind of makes me feel like the writing doesn't do justice to what the character could have been. I'm with the guy who thinks the "dapper trollmancer" suddenly descends into a Full Crazy he didn't exhibit before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want to see an RPG where the villain or secondary villain plans to destroy the universe so that no one will ever be sad again

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Isn't that, like, all of them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No, they're always more specific.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Let's kill everyone so no one ever gets hurt again" seems like it's basically equivalent to "let's kill everyone so no one can be sad by being hurt" to me, but that's hair-splitting, so whatevs.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Wasn't that basically the villain's plan in Persona 4? Cover the world in fog, then no one has to care anymore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anime Reference posted:

:sigh: Just another omnicidal nihilist in a JRPG.
The Shadow Hearts games broke the JRPG mold in a bunch of ways, but the main villains just being ominicidal nihilists was unfortunately not one of them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's certainly the motivation of the "villain" of Persona 3 - humanity is sick of its suffering (its sadness, effectively) and just desires an end to it all. Persona 4 is more personal, I feel, but it runs on a lot of the same themes.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Really Pants posted:

I want to see an RPG where the villain or secondary villain plans to destroy the universe so that no one will ever be sad again

If I'm not mistaken Seymour's line in FFX was "free Spira from its Sorrow" so...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gonna be honest here. Pretty much as soon as the game revealed that Faux Bacon was Albert Simon it felt to me that he started acting like Generic jRPG Arch-villain instead of the Dapper Trollmancer he was up to that point. At least he's still holding onto that hat.

I mean, he did reduce Shanghai to a smoldering crater just to be a dick, so it's not like he wasn't that far off before. He's just getting more animated about his nihilism because he's right on the cusp of victory.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

I mean, he did reduce Shanghai to a smoldering crater just to be a dick, so it's not like he wasn't that far off before. He's just getting more animated about his nihilism because he's right on the cusp of victory.

I meant in his dialogue and mannerisms, not his actions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

But, but, the evil laugh! :smith:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Accordion Man posted:

The Shadow Hearts games broke the JRPG mold in a bunch of ways, but the main villains just being ominicidal nihilists was unfortunately not one of them.

How many games don't have that? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ultrafilter posted:

How many games don't have that? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

The early Pokemon games. Team Rocket doesn't want to blow up the planet, they just want to make a shitload of money.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shin Megami Tensei games generally want something that involves the end of the current world, but basically without exception to replace it with something else in their own image. I think that makes them radical, not nihilistic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

Just JRPGs or games in general? I'm general I can name a bunch but JRPGs are definitely harder. Nier is a big one because the antagonists are actually trying to achieve the exact opposite.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can think of this visual novel that was LP'd here where one of the antagonists wants to turn back the clock to when there were just way fewer people because it meant everyone actually mattered as an individual.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

I can think of this visual novel that was LP'd here where one of the antagonists wants to turn back the clock to when there were just way fewer people because it meant everyone actually mattered as an individual.

If that is who I think it is then what he wanted to do was to turn earth into a living hellscape so that only those worthy to be ruled by him would survive.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't remember it that well and I think that was almost ten years ago by now, so those might have been the specifics of the plan, sure. The general idea was also what I said, though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't remember it that well and I think that was almost ten years ago by now, so those might have been the specifics of the plan, sure. The general idea was also what I said, though.

By any chance was this characters name Gilgamesh?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

By any chance was this characters name Gilgamesh?
Yeah! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was. There was also a crossdressing King Arthur involved somewhere, that stuck with me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was. There was also a crossdressing King Arthur involved somewhere, that stuck with me.

Then that is Fate Stay Night and there is nothing compassionate or noble about what Gilgamesh is doing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, yeah, of course not. He's the villain. He didn't want to wipe out humanity from some nihilistic sentiment, though, so it counts.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

BEHOLD! Worms convicted me in Nuremberg four hundred years ago... behold the fruits of your folly!

I know what Worms means, but I still find it funny. I'm sure that the voice actor was completely incapable of saying "The Diet of Worms convinced me...." without cracking up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Accordion Man posted:

Just JRPGs or games in general? I'm general I can name a bunch but JRPGs are definitely harder. Nier is a big one because the antagonists are actually trying to achieve the exact opposite.

Just JRPGs.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Simon's speech here (and by extension his voice actor) was one of the few positive things I remember about this game's voice acting quality. Guy is good at hamming it up as any of the English VAs for Dracula in the Igavania games.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Melbu Frahma from Legend of Dragoon didn’t want to destroy the world, he just wanted absolute power over it. Genocide of lesser races WAS acceptable though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kefka is a literal Evil Nihilistic Clown and he wants to destroy the world, but after he does so, there's still a lot of people left, so there's also that, I guess?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardiovorax posted:

Kefka is a literal Evil Nihilistic Clown and he wants to destroy the world, but after he does so, there's still a lot of people left, so there's also that, I guess?

That's mostly because he knows that it'd be unbearably boring to be the only being left. So he decided to only mostly destroy the world. That way he'd have a set of victims to torment. It wasn't until the protagonists showed up again that he got bored enough to change his plan to "just nuke the world and move on after crushing these annoying hopeful types".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Good to know, I never finished that one.

It's kind of hard to find a villain who's not some flavour of complete rear end in a top hat, so "not an omnicidal nihilist" tends to turn out more as a matter of degrees, because they usually want to kill a lot of people anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What did Simon get out of helping Dehuai with his schemes? Simon was expecting Dehui to fail do did he need Dehuai to summon his god so Simon could summon the float thing?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 2, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
He was expecting the Seraphic Radiance to go haywire and gently caress up the world's poo poo unabated, but apparently it wasn't enough for him. He wanted less a nuke and more a Death Star.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think he was hoping Yuri wouldn't be able to contain it at all and that it'd still be out there killing everything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that Alice was within his sphere of influence and Albert still really, really wanted her at that point also played into it. If the Radiance fucks up all of the everything, so much the better. If it just kills the big hitters of the party and makes her easier to grab, that's also good. Dehuai was still nominally powerful enough to make his life hard if he decided to actively oppose Simon, so he chose not to outright get in his way and rather see how it plays out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Either you get to watch a lovely wizard step on a rake or the lovely wizard does all your work for you, because there's no way in hell Dehuai was going to control that thing.

It's win win for Simon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
wow, I just realized, Id has been running this LP for six months now and hasn't had his AV changed even once, and it's at least from the LP before this one. time was he couldn't go a week without it changing. joke finally worn thin or people just broke?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ultrafilter posted:

Lavos from the CT series isn't really an "omnicidal nihilist." The villains of FFXII just wanted to create a unifying empire, and not to destroy the world. As far as I know the Suikoden games were about wars rather than any global annihilation. Same with the Front Mission games, I think?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Schwartzcough posted:

Lavos from the CT series isn't really an "omnicidal nihilist." The villains of FFXII just wanted to create a unifying empire, and not to destroy the world. As far as I know the Suikoden games were about wars rather than any global annihilation. Same with the Front Mission games, I think?

Some of the Front Mission games are crazy, but 4 being the first one I played, I remember being kind of gobsmacked that the point of a ridiculous sci-fi conspiracy was 'enormous money, power, and influence for wily Russians' and not 'destroy the world' or whatever.

It was my first JRPG that did that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Also, from the other page, Amon was the name of the demon whatshisname was fused with in Devilman, yes. It's an important plot point at several junctures that it was Amon specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wow, I just realized, Id has been running this LP for six months now and hasn't had his AV changed even once, and it's at least from the LP before this one. time was he couldn't go a week without it changing. joke finally worn thin or people just broke?

There probably wasn't any good AV material throughout the game so far. Though some of the faces Albert was making in the last page made him look like he's loving this poo poo.