Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

My grandpa had a Mark IV I was looking into possibly doing this with. You can get a set of mounts made to bolt in a PowerStroke pretty much off the shelf. I figured in the end it was still too much of a boat to be worth it. It got 7mpg highway, 4mpg city.

The 460 that came in those things wasn't really meant to be a power house, even though it was big as gently caress, even for the time.
Not sure about the 400 that was also available in them bitches. That was a longer stroked 351 Cleveland IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh, I've got this in my phone

You have brandy and raisins in your phone?

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

god drat she's gorgeous

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqxxQAHlj0P/

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...619836928_n.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 2, 2018

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Door latches and seatbelts: one of the two.

My 90' s passat has a design flaw with the door latch where if it gets wet and the temp drops below freezing, the catch freezes in the open position and the door won't latch shut. I've had two of these cars in the past 10 years, and they've had the exact same issue. The only thing you can do is drive around until the interior heats up enough to melt the ice on the latch, fine if you're taking left turns, but right turns fling the door open. Hand on the door, hand on the wheel, hand on the shift knob...

So, I run the shoulder belt (separate motorized shoulder belts, thanks 90s) through the door handle, and cinch it tight into a knot so the door stays shut while I drive. I could just let it warm up idling.. But it would take a week.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 2, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

NoWake posted:

My 90' s passat has a design flaw with the door latch where if it gets wet and the temp drops below freezing, the catch freezes in the open position and the door won't latch shut. I've had two of these cars in the past 10 years, and they've had the exact same issue. The only thing you can do is drive around until the interior heats up enough to melt the ice on the latch, fine if you're taking left turns, but right turns fling the door open. Hand on the door, hand on the wheel, hand on the shift knob...

So, I run the shoulder belt (separate motorized shoulder belts, thanks 90s) through the door handle, and cinch it tight into a knot so the door stays shut while I drive. I could just let it warm up idling.. But it would take a week.

Spray some lock de-icer in the latch?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would an ice pick do the job?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

Spray some lock de-icer in the latch?

Over the years I've used wd-40, silicone spray, grease, oil, nothing works to keep the latch from freezing open. Really only happens after a good freezing rain, maybe 4 times a winter. I'm leaning toward it not being in the actual latch on the door frame, but some linkage hanging up inside the door panel shared between the interior and exterior door handles. (handle I use with the belt is the solid pull-it-shut handle, not the smaller pop-it-open handle)

It's got 252,000 miles now and honestly could have been junked 3 years ago, but I keep resurrecting it for some dumbass reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

The 460 that came in those things wasn't really meant to be a power house, even though it was big as gently caress, even for the time.
Not sure about the 400 that was also available in them bitches. That was a longer stroked 351 Cleveland IIRC.

The 400 was the economy engine, the 460 was the performance engine. Presented without comment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Yes, apparently.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

My grandpa had a Mark IV I was looking into possibly doing this with. You can get a set of mounts made to bolt in a PowerStroke pretty much off the shelf. I figured in the end it was still too much of a boat to be worth it. It got 7mpg highway, 4mpg city.
That's impressively terrible. But I'd guess that a large modern diesel would get it up to like 20 mpg. What I'm saying is yes definitely do it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have questions

Like do steps have to be some specific height? And what would happen if you put an american on the first and last step?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

I have questions

Like do steps have to be some specific height? And what would happen if you put an american on the first and last step?

The first step is harder because you need to schlep yourself out of your rascal scooter, and the last one is where you get a coronary and die from overexerting yourself.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

I have questions

I don't know if there are rules for that. What I do know is that the most comfortable height for stairs is well-known and nearly always applied in new buildings.

Older European houses and especially historical castles and churches did whatever considering stair height/stair width so climbing stairs in those is annoying as gently caress.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

NoWake posted:

This happened with my dad's VW Vento (the 90s Jetta for Americans) more than once one winter. The seatbelt was too short to actually latch on when routed through the handle, but I did discover that if you manage to get the door to lock, the lock will actually hold it in place for the most part. It thawed out pretty fast once you started driving it around, so it wasn't a huge issue but it was definitely a bit of a surprise closing the passenger door and having it just uselessly bounce back the first time it happened to me.

e: The lock solution was a bit perilous though because the door was functionally open and just held in place by the locking mechanism somehow. I was a bit concerned the lock was going to fail and the door slam open taking a corner, but luckily it stayed put.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if there are rules for that. What I do know is that the most comfortable height for stairs is well-known and nearly always applied in new buildings.

Older European houses and especially historical castles and churches did whatever considering stair height/stair width so climbing stairs in those is annoying as gently caress.

There is a DIN(DIN 18065)

in Germany specifying tolerances that a mandatory stairwell cannot over/undershoot.

There's also decorative stairs, those are more relaxed

https://www.bauen.de/a/din-18065-vorschriften-zum-treppenbau.html

Hope this clears all questions

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 2, 2018

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I have questions

Hopefully it would never get to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPzN2gD3PQ&t=5s

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Challenge accepted.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Splicer posted:

Challenge accepted.

Shamelessly stolen and reposted elsewhere.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I used to daily this beast for about ten years. 6 MPG.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/d0cTB/status/1067536429746671621

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

JamesieAB posted:

Hopefully it would never get to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPzN2gD3PQ&t=5s

Those sure are some Irish people attempting American accents lol

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Went to Amsterdam for the first time recently and the aspect ratios of some of the stairs were truly :stonkhat: I know the history behind "build em tall and narrow" but some of the residents must've been real masochists.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

More likely flowers.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There is a DIN(DIN 18065)

in Germany specifying tolerances that a mandatory stairwell cannot over/undershoot.

There's also decorative stairs, those are more relaxed

https://www.bauen.de/a/din-18065-vorschriften-zum-treppenbau.html

Hope this clears all questions

Well I was also thinking since the first step is the last step, and itself seems to weigh in at an american or two even unloaded, and seems affixed in either end to some 2x2 matchsticks using pop rivets or whatever, I figured maybe it'd explode or do something completely groverific if you sneezed at it wrong.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

This is the jobsite that I was invited to work at for some extra cash. Replacing some rotted-out shredded wheat siding with T1-11 plywood. The old siding was super fun to remove because it was put up using like 4x the amount of nails needed.

Nobody wanted to disassemble the janky-rear end staircase, so it was decided that pulling it away from the barn and holding it there would be the best plan of action...however, the hydraulics on the tractor don't hold the bucket in place and it starts to sag after 30 minutes, so it either has to be constantly adjusted or a standoff would have to be constructed to keep the whole thing from wobbling horribly.
A standoff that doesn't butt up against the barn framing, but instead crosses the gap and is driven into rotten plywood flooring inside the barn using two 3-inch deck screws. The standoff is one jerky movement from breaking.

For "extra safety", a post is used to turn the platform into a tripod. It's attached using two 3-inch deck screws. It barely stabilizes the platform. Also, the wood is slick with algae and rain.

Also pictured is the step ladder used to hang the siding at the very peak. It has one functioning spreader.

All of this plus the owner of the barn is a massive rear end in a top hat who watches you like a hawk and critiques your every move, all day long. It's fabulous. I had to quit after the ultra-sketchy staircase plan was implemented.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 2, 2018

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Sagebrush posted:

Those sure are some Irish people attempting American accents lol

How dare you.

The fat dude is Welsh.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

I have questions

In the US, most of the building code for stairs revolves around maximums and minimums. The maximum riser height is 7.75 inches. The minimum width is 3 feet. Stair treads should have a minimum of 10 inches of depth. And there should be a minimum of 6'8" of head room.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

I have questions

See, my big problem with this - that no one else has mentioned - is that I don't see a railing. Plus, the stairs have that nice smooth downward curve on the outside edge. Maybe I just can't see right and there's a railing there, but if not, I KNOW I would slip off one of the top flight of stairs eventually, and I'm sure there's people even more clumsy than me out there.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
You could grab the matchsticks that make up the walls.

That window doesn't look reinforced. Slip on the polished wood when you're running up stairs and out you go.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How about the landing. If you've got short legs and are wearing socks....

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
You're all missing the most glaring issue:

How do you insulate these stairs?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Thomamelas posted:

In the US, most of the building code for stairs revolves around maximums and minimums. The maximum riser height is 7.75 inches. The minimum width is 3 feet. Stair treads should have a minimum of 10 inches of depth. And there should be a minimum of 6'8" of head room.

This is like a list of things my stairs at home don't provide or meet. Nice. (It's in a house that was built in 1903)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IPCRESS posted:

You're all missing the most glaring issue:

How do you insulate these stairs?

:grovertoot:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Applesnots posted:

I used to daily this beast for about ten years. 6 MPG.

Neil?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Also every step needs to be the exact same size and there's constraints on the positioning of the railing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I took an aftermarket 3-port 220V USB charger to the Zurich Novotel in 2013.

On the third day, all the power went out in the room while my son was charging his phone.

Moments later, the front desk made a WTF call to the room. While I was professing ignorance in my lovely 8th-grade German, the charger ignited; we grabbed a wet washcloth & threw it in the sink & doused it before any real smoke could form. Hotel management seemed nonplussed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I've never seen that emoticon before. Genius!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Log082 posted:

See, my big problem with this - that no one else has mentioned - is that I don't see a railing. Plus, the stairs have that nice smooth downward curve on the outside edge. Maybe I just can't see right and there's a railing there, but if not, I KNOW I would slip off one of the top flight of stairs eventually, and I'm sure there's people even more clumsy than me out there.

And not to mention the stairs appear to stop a decent distance before the window, so when you go down in your socks for some evening snack and
inevitably slip in the turn on that polished wood you won't even have a wall on any side to grab on to.

Xaintrailles posted:

That window doesn't look reinforced. Slip on the polished wood when you're running up stairs and out you go.

Unless you go at it full clip I think the distance between the stairs and the window is actually big enough for you to fall down onto those stones instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

I should note i drive a 73' on winter tires through the canadian winter with 100lbs worth of weights in the trunk.
My mom had a '69 Boss 302 Mustang until my dad crashed it and she would load up the trunk with concrete blocks in the winter.

https://i.imgur.com/bbdLSqN.mp4

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 3, 2018