Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

All because Trudeau called him Donald and wouldn’t use his stupid new name for NAFTA and made him mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does NAFTA have some clause in it saying that the president can withdraw without an act of congress? Or is it one of those not-actually-a-treaty agreements?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Easy Diff posted:

(other than the default of "Trump is so loving stupid, literally everything he does is automatically wrong and the opposite position is by default correct")

I mean that's pretty good as a general rule

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Stereotype posted:

I am extremely ready for people to stop equating him with the astrophysics community at large.

Nevermind the "real scientist" fight; after Ott, Krauss, Marcy et al., astrophysics has already built itself a reputation of being particularly rapey, so NDT is doing minimal damage to the field on that front.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Context: USMCA doesn't just take effect; part of the terms of USMCA is that NAFTA stays in place until USMCA is ratified by all three governments. By threatening to withdraw early from NAFTA, Trump is trying to force Congress to hand him a quick ratification process instead of, you know, doing their jobs and examining it carefully.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait what, didn't you just renegotiate some of its terms in a surprisingly okay deal, you loving shithead
Sure, but it's the USMCA now! USMCA!!! USMCA!!!!! Pay no attention to the fact that it's 99% the same poo poo as NAFTA.

He's basically blackmailing Congress into approving the USMCA (and thus reapproving the 99% of it that's NAFTA stuff). If they do, Trump's "formal termination" will mean basically nothing.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Praising a member of the British royalty and acting like they're "cool" is pretty embarrising for anyone claiming to be on the left, to be honest.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

All because Trudeau called him Donald and wouldn’t use his stupid new name for NAFTA and made him mad.

Unless I'm missing something, this is just Trump grabbing a media cycle by saying something provocative. Of course congress is going to ratify the treaty, it's a minor improvement over NAFTA for the USA. All it cost was signalling that America will try to roll it's closest allies on trade basically whenever it wants.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Saagonsa posted:

Praising a member of the British royalty and acting like they're "cool" is pretty embarrising for anyone claiming to be on the left, to be honest.

Good point, but, counterpoint:

Elizabeth has literally fought nazis, so

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Easy Diff posted:

It's my gut feeling that NAFTA was, on net, bad because it allowed companies to more easily outsource American labor to Mexico, but what is the approved leftist take on why it is actually good and we should keep it/be outraged about Trump ending it? (other than the default of "Trump is so loving stupid, literally everything he does is automatically wrong and the opposite position is by default correct")

Leftist take: it wasn't good, not because of its effect on the US, but because of its effect on Mexico. I don't really trust Trump to do anything but take a dump on the market place, however.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

cheetah7071 posted:

Does NAFTA have some clause in it saying that the president can withdraw without an act of congress? Or is it one of those not-actually-a-treaty agreements?

quote:

Article 2205: Withdrawal

A Party may withdraw from this Agreement six months after it provides written notice of withdrawal to the other Parties. If a Party withdraws, the Agreement shall remain in force for the remaining Parties.

It's not clear as written whether this means that the President can do it personally or whether it requires an act of Congress. Article II, I think, only states that he can't make treaties without the consent of the Senate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mantis42 posted:

Leftist take: it wasn't good, not because of its effect on the US, but because of its effect on Mexico. I don't really trust Trump to do anything but take a dump on the market place, however.

oh right, that reminds me, it also wouldn't much bring back any staple crops et al that were outcompeted by Great Plains megafarms or whatever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Besesoth posted:

It's not clear as written whether this means that the President can do it personally or whether it requires an act of Congress. Article II, I think, only states that he can't make treaties without the consent of the Senate.

So it's basically wildly unclear how withdrawing from NAFTA is actually done and any attempt to do so would be tied up in court for at least as long as it would take for congress to do this the slow way instead of ramming it through

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

So it's basically wildly unclear how withdrawing from NAFTA is actually done and any attempt to do so would be tied up in court for at least as long as it would take for congress to do this the slow way instead of ramming it through

99% certain he's mad about how he's being seen at G20 and doing something "shocking" to get the headlines back on something that isn't either Mueller coming after his family or him being the laughingstock of G20.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Side effect of the MAGAFTA thing is it requires that the US prohibit discrimination based on gender identity (because Canada managed to slip that in there), as well as having sexual orientation, pregnancy, and gender more generally sprinkled throughout as to be protected.

Some on the right are also starting to hand-wring that the language requiring that the parties have statues and regulations that maintain "the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining".

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Stereotype posted:

Well he wasn’t involved at all in getting the IAU to take up and vote on the resolution to change the classifications.

https://www.iau.org/news/pressreleases/detail/iau0603/

He also isn’t on the Planet Definition Committee.

https://www.iau.org/public/images/detail/iau0601g/

The actual work was done by other people who are not rockstar science celebrities and it’s obnoxious that nerdy science enthusiasts just blindly ignore them.

This is not the hill to die on, dude(tte). He has been clear that he didn't demote Pluto, he was the head of a planetarium that was revising its exhibit on planets. For the previous 8 years or so Pluto was starting to be seen as something that shouldn't be called a planet. After the planetarium revised their exhibit there wasn't even any press about this "demotion" for about a year.

Stereotype posted:

He isn’t a scientist though. He started working as a planetarium curator almost immediately after getting his PhD. He hasn’t done any real science since his thesis work three decades ago. He is a “science communicator,” he does not further science, he just talks about it.

I am extremely ready for people to stop equating him with the astrophysics community at large.

Bill Nye is a science communicator with a BS in mechanical engineering.

Carl Sagan was a science communicator with a PhD in physics/astrophysics.

Neil Tyson is a science communicator with a PhD in astrophysics.

The attitude that "just talking about science" is so much lesser than "furthering science" is really disgusting. Do you know how many future scientists Carl Sagan and Bill Nye have created? Do you know how many of my students know about basic concepts in physics and chemistry thanks to Nye and Sagan and Tyson? Do you know how many "Actual Scientists" do unsung work that is only sometimes used by other scientists?

I teach high school science (I have a BS in Chemistry if that matters), and I make it clear to my kids that I am not a scientist because I don't do science even though I did spend a single summer doing actual science. I have been a scientist (doing "small" research).

Stereotype posted:

I’m not saying that being a science communicator is bad, they are extremely important. Most scientists are not good at communicating the importance of their work to laypeople, which is often very challenging.

I’m just saying NDT entirely hides behind the description of “astrophysicist” when he categorically is not one.

He sure as hell is an astrophysicist. He has also been very good at communicating specific scientific discoveries and why the scientific method has provided the most useful explanation of the universe. He understands the science behind it and pauses when answering questions because he's trying to figure out how to condense the complicated explanation into something his audience can understand. This is what I do every day with my high school kids, so I recognize it.

That said, if he doesn't understand why reaching under a colleague's sleeveless dress to see her tattoos is not okay or why inviting a young woman who worked for him on a documentary back to his place for cheese and wine was a bad idea then he needs to retire or admit he was a creep and explain how he is learning to not be a creep. It's Al Franken all over again.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Saxophone posted:

99% certain he's mad about how he's being seen at G20 and doing something "shocking" to get the headlines back on something that isn't either Mueller coming after his family or him being the laughingstock of G20.

This strikes me as a solid read but still makes me furious.

Shifty Pony posted:

Side effect of the MAGAFTA thing is it requires that the US prohibit discrimination based on gender identity (because Canada managed to slip that in there), as well as having sexual orientation, pregnancy, and gender more generally sprinkled throughout as to be protected.

Some on the right are also starting to hand-wring that the language requiring that the parties have statues and regulations that maintain "the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining".

yeah, i'm not sure how that stuff made it through (yes I am, it's because President Deals is a moron)

bonus: one of my family members benefits meaningfully from the whole dairy thing!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

lol was trump so desperate to sign a trade deal he could shout maga over that he agreed to one that strengthens unions

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Saagonsa posted:

:agreed:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what do you mean by this? did she actually enlist and take part in battles?

edit: apparently she was a truck mechanic. how much she actually contributed is kinda questionable considering:

quote:

Unlike the other members of the ATS, Elizabeth returned each night to sleep in the royal residence of Windsor Castle.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 2, 2018

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lycus posted:

Why on Earth did he think telling those stories would make him look better?

Because he is the sort of person who is incapable of saying, "I was wrong. I'm very sorry. I will never do this again."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cheetah7071 posted:

lol was trump so desperate to sign a trade deal he could shout maga over that he agreed to one that strengthens unions

It could potentially void right-to-work laws nationwide, depending on how the inevitable dispute resolution process goes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Easy Diff posted:

It's my gut feeling that NAFTA was, on net, bad because it allowed companies to more easily outsource American labor to Mexico, but what is the approved leftist take on why it is actually good and we should keep it/be outraged about Trump ending it? (other than the default of "Trump is so loving stupid, literally everything he does is automatically wrong and the opposite position is by default correct")

it was net bad. pulling out of it suddenly will also be bad in that it will be a shock to markets, but that's really the only bad part of getting rid of it. it'd be better to ease out of it or sign new trade deals that extended at minimum american labor protections to labor in the signatory nations

Condiv fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 2, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I wonder if that also means a termination of CUSFTA, which is superceded by NAFTA. I suppose we'll find out. Can your president even do such a thing without congress' approval?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Loving the squirming smile on Trudeau. He can’t even stand to physically be near Trump anymore :allears:

Was that before or after he called him Donald. :cawg:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm reading all the positive news coverage of Bush and I want to blow my brains out. It's seriously depressing how everyone is falling over themselves to say nice things about him. I mean I get it, "don't speak ill of the dead" etc. etc. but this is a very serious form of the whole "decorum" disease that the media specifically suffers from whereby a famous person dies and all pretense of objective coverage goes out the window and they are made into a god drat a saint.

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Sure, but it's the USMCA now! USMCA!!! USMCA!!!!! Pay no attention to the fact that it's 99% the same poo poo as NAFTA.

He's basically blackmailing Congress into approving the USMCA (and thus reapproving the 99% of it that's NAFTA stuff). If they do, Trump's "formal termination" will mean basically nothing.

Don't you mean CUSMA? :3:

Also to my understanding it's basically an update on NAFTA to accommodate for the changes in way the world and economic systems work since the mid 90's. The underlying provisions are supposed to remain the same but with updated rules surrounding things like labor laws and environmental standards. It's a "better" deal in Trump land because his names gonna be on it so it must be the absolute most amazing treaty ever to have the potential to be signed into law and the old deal of course one of the worst because Bill Clinton's name is on it, but really it's more of a renegotiation and update that happens every so often in international treaties.

Also Trump can't understand international deals as being a benefit for a collective, only as a zero sum game where there are hard winners and losers so this could get interesting. If Canada and Mexico keep being in the for it camp no doubt he'll suspect that it's because they're getting something out of it in a way that means the United States is losing out on something, ergo he's showing weakness to his base and he'll try to torpedo the drat thing somehow in 2019 thinking he's going to score much needed political points. It's one of the many things that makes him a uniquely lovely President.

To really shorten it up, for Canada and Mexico it's about what's actually in the agreement, for the United States as a result of Trump it's almost all about optics and how he gets to sell it to his base as a show of how super awesome he is at negotiating and little else. If something's in there that really isn't good for the U.S economy he'd just as soon pretend that it's fake news probably.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 2, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JawKnee posted:

I wonder if that also means a termination of CUSFTA, which is superceded by NAFTA. I suppose we'll find out. Can your president even do such a thing without congress' approval?

I don't think so, but he's gonna say it until someone on his team tells him he can't.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh right, that reminds me, it also wouldn't much bring back any staple crops et al that were outcompeted by Great Plains megafarms or whatever

i really don't get this attitude. shipping stuff that can be made or grown less far away than another country is not really sustainable anymore. some jobs are going to have to come back if we want to deal with climate change.

edit: also, megafarms are themselves extremely destructive to the environment and have to be done away with

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh wow, my dumb joke was worthy of a thread title?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/lBRXHlM/status/1068846040688791552

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

i really don't get this attitude. shipping stuff that can be made or grown less far away than another country is not really sustainable anymore. some jobs are going to have to come back if we want to deal with climate change.

edit: also, megafarms are themselves extremely destructive to the environment and have to be done away with

This is actually a good point in terms of future strategy / climate philosophy, the thing I said was kinda dumb in that light.

I'm not convinced that better megafarms aren't part of the answer, but shipping grain from Iowa to Mexico City is probably questionable for the future we want to reach.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Condiv posted:

it was net bad. pulling out of it suddenly will also be bad in that it will be a shock to markets, but that's really the only bad part of getting rid of it. it'd be better to ease out of it or sign new trade deals that extended at minimum american labor protections to labor in the signatory nations

Of the 3 signatories America is not the one with good labor protections or laws and the language in both NAFTA and the new deal that do try and protect labor have been primarily the result of Canadian efforts. So dunno wtf you’re on about here but I don’t think you’re particularly well versed on either deal if you think American labor protections are good.

That said both deals also have huge issues with distribution of the resulting benefits but that’s not going to be addressed with multiple bi-lateral deals at all, in fact it would get worse. Welcome to capitalism I guess.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 2, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

squirrelzipper posted:

Of the 3 signatories America is not the one with good labor protections or laws and the language in both NAFTA and the new deal that do try and protect labor have been primarily the result of Canadian efforts. So dunno wtf you’re on about here but I don’t think you’re particularly well versed on either deal if you think American labor protections are good.

i know. that's why i said that a new labor deal should at minimum hold all signatories to american labor regulations. the strongest labor regulations of any of the signatories would be more preferable, but I already get enough pushback and get accused of calling for "full socialism now" when I suggest that at the very least our trade deals should force american labor regs or stronger.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 2, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, that and terminating NAFTA doesn't actually terminate the NAFTA Implementation Act, which is the piece of legislature that implemented the procedures necessary for the US to comply with NAFTA and so almost all of the provisions that bind US trade remains law until repealed or replaced, while the ones that let them challenge Canadian and Mexican laws that violate the treaty would stop. So even if it survives a successful court challenge, terminating NAFTA over congressional objection only terminates NAFTA in the same sense that Trump making GBS threads directly into the insurance markets "fixed" Obamacare.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guys do you think our civilization will be taught like Easter Island and summed up with, "Their obsession with consuming meat and electronics led them to cut down all the trees and die out."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Arglebargle III posted:

Guys do you think our civilization will be taught like Easter Island and summed up with, "Their obsession with consuming meat and electronics led them to cut down all the trees and die out."

who's gonna be teaching our civilization? the roaches?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Being that the British military didn't allow for women in frontline roles at the time (though quite a few served with distinction in intelligence roles on the continent), it's more accurate to say that she contributed to the war effort. Prince Philip, though, most definitely fought fascists during his career in the RN, seeing action at the Battle of Cape Matapan and elsewhere.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Oh wow, my dumb joke was worthy of a thread title?

Debate & Discussion › USPOL Winter: Oh wow, my dumb joke was worthy of a thread title?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

who's gonna be teaching our civilization? the roaches?

don't be rude, condiv, their preferred terminology is the Ck’chk’ck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lets not talk about roaches, tia