Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Argue posted:

Huh, this looks real useful. Fortunately, our household has a computer just for running server-y things. Thanks!

The home automation thread has a bunch of people using HA (me included) if you wind up with questions or want to see people’s use cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Appshopper is pretty good too.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Quick question, my wife is about to have a baby so we are looking at being a bit more serious about our schedules rather than just writing things on our calendar in the kitchen.

We both have iPhones and iPads and we are on the same iCloud family so I know I can go into the stock calendar app, create an event, switch it to “family” and she will get it.

But is there a way to make this just the default “calendar” it posts to? So either if I ask Siri to make an event or if I just click add it will default to family rather than anything else?

Also, any suggestions on any other calendar apps (happy to pay if it’s worth it, we live in Australia if that makes a difference)

Finally when my wife goes back to work she’s a paramedic who does shift work, she is using a shift worker app as it inputs her day/night rosters in well, is there a good way to make repeating shifts in iOS calendar (her roster is generally day shift, day shift, night shift, night shift, 4 days off for example.) it seems to be a bit too niche and difficult for iOS calendar.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
1) Settings - Calendar has an entry for default calendar. In your example, set it to “Family”.

2) When you make an event, there is a “repeat” field that may suffice for your wife's schedule.

3) Fantasical is a highly regarded calendar app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shared family calendars may be different, but one really irritating issue I've had with my wife sharing her work schedule is that my phone keeps setting notifications for me needing to leave to work at her job, and when I connect to CarPlay maps tries to route me to her workplace.

If there's an option to prevent that I haven't been able to find it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It might be better to use separate calendars for different things, and share visibility of the calendars. Not sure whether that will help the notification/CarPlay issue.

I have a calendar that I put my work crap into that my wife can see, she has a calendar she puts her work/daycare/school stuff into that I can see, and we also have a shared calendar that we use for social events/weekends/birthdays.

I use CCal and my wife likes BusyCal.

Edit: Fantastical is on special at the moment. I don't like it myself but Apple twitter hivemind can't be wrong, right?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 26, 2018

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I bought fantastical and could never get on with it. I prefer the default calendar app. Maybe i should try and use it for an extended period and see if I can learn why everyone else loves it so much.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Slash posted:

I bought fantastical and could never get on with it. I prefer the default calendar app. Maybe i should try and use it for an extended period and see if I can learn why everyone else loves it so much.

It's nice because you can type out a sentence using regular language into the 'add event' bar and it populates the fields for you automatically.

"Drinks with Max at Bourbon and Branch tomorrow at 6" automatically becomes this:

It's a great time saver on mac and iphone. I don't use it on iPad because the interface is fugly.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fenix for iOS is now out of beta.
https://twitter.com/fenix_app/status/1068175603071881216

It's $2.99, on sale for launch. Available for iPhone and iPad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Fenix for iOS is now out of beta.
https://twitter.com/fenix_app/status/1068175603071881216

It's $2.99, on sale for launch. Available for iPhone and iPad.

Is this any good? What does it offer that TweetBot doesn't?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Is this any good? What does it offer that TweetBot doesn't?

Fenix and Flamingo are the top Twitters apps for Android. I never used TweetBot, so I can't compare, sorry.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

How does it compare to the stock iOS twitter app? I see it removes all sponsored content ads at the very least.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I haven't actually used it, but from the screenshots it looks more or less identical to Tweetbot except for a few UI differences. Unless a convincing argument can be made as to how it's better, I'm totally content sticking with Tweetbot like I have been for years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's kinda strange that another third-party Twitter app is trying to get into the game AFTER Twitter broke them all, but more power to them. I don't see any reason to switch, but I guess Android users who switch to iOS might be comfortable with using an app they're already familiar with.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The official Twitter app has a chronological feed now so it’s really not as bad as it was before. Yeah it still has ads but I just really like the push notifications.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the recommend iOS app for casting video and stuff to a Roku?

Skeezy posted:

The official Twitter app has a chronological feed now so it’s really not as bad as it was before. Yeah it still has ads but I just really like the push notifications.

The ads are kinda a feature for me since I’ve blocked so many corporate accounts that I only get sponsored tweets for stupid inane poo poo and it’s great.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Anybody else having issues of apple music not loading album art? Minor nuisance but very annoying. How do I fix this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple Music and album art is a mess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Yeah it appears to be a complete failure for my stuff even with everything loaded into iTunes. Every other music player I've used from Media monkey to android apps considers this a solved problem

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Two quick music app questions:

1. Is there a music app that will consistently stay on either while music is playing or while it's plugged in automatically? It seems like when I'm using the Music app, it will either use the 2 minute timeout setting or just randomly turn off, which is annoying while I'm driving.

Thanks!

Just a heads up to anyone looking for this, Cesium does this via a setting to disable auto-lock. The app is currently $1.99 and worth every penny to me for this feature alone, but the player itself is nice if not fully intuitive on how to get back to the main screen (swipe from top) or get back to the song that is being played (press the “invisible/outlined” box at the bottom).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Spotify also keeps the screen on while charging.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Weedle posted:

Spotify also keeps the screen on while charging.

Good to know. Now if I can get a podcast player that disables auto-lock as well, that would be great. Pocket Casts goes dark too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s the best app to use to digitize documents (including multi page)? OCR and multipage support would be nice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve tried a few and always go back to Scanner Pro. I just like the UI and export options.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I’ve tried a few and always go back to Scanner Pro. I just like the UI and export options.

Yep my recommendation as well.

I even grabbed my Manfroto magic arm from my camera bag and combined with an iPhone mount. I have it preset for the prefect distance and attached to the side of my desk in my home office. Swing it out of the way for when I don’t need it. It came in super handy when I was digitizing a bunch of my home owner records and I was too cheap to buy a Fuji feed scanner.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What’s the recommended ad blocker (paid or free) these days?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

1Blocker X for Safari seems to work pretty well so far. I'd also say Malwarebytes but I haven't actually tried the iOS implementation yet since I can't cheap my way out of that by buying a key, it's subscription only.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Another vote for 1Blocker X.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
1blocker X if you like customization (whitelist, rules, etc.). Wipr for set it and forget it. I used 1blocker before they came out with the X version and it works well but it can be a bit aggressive and break some sites. I mostly noticed it on shopping sites with menus. I can't say if 1Blocker X is better about this though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the best app to use to digitize documents (including multi page)? OCR and multipage support would be nice.

I love Scanbot pro, it's connections to cloud services is fantastic. I scan in all of my receipts, documents, and manuals and it immediately drops them in my folder on my Google Drive.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s a good radio app that would have a good selection of uk and australian stations? I’ve been using a decent British rádio app but the amount of ads is killing me.

E- weird, I don’t know why rádio is autocorrecting that way

Snowy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 3, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dexter6 posted:

I am still happy with Firefox Focus two years on.

(Yes it is billed in the App Store as a deniable browser. It works as a Safari content blocker as well.

The only downside is there's no corresponding macOS Safari content blocker. I can't imagine why.)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Snowy posted:

What’s a good radio app that would have a good selection of uk and australian stations? I’ve been using a decent British rádio app but the amount of ads is killing me.

E- weird, I don’t know why rádio is autocorrecting that way

TuneIn Radio?

I've been using it for years with no issues.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

What’s my best bet for browsing files on my NAS? Integration with the Files app is a plus, it’s a Synology NAS if that matters.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

What’s my best bet for browsing files on my NAS? Integration with the Files app is a plus, it’s a Synology NAS if that matters.

So Synology do ssh? If so Termius is amazing.

Really don’t don’t know much about them sorry.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Apparently Synology has been working on Files integration since iOS 11, but this has good reviews in the meantime:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-computers-cloud/id364738545?mt=8/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

DS File by Synology works just fine but I don't believe it has files integration.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Looking for a office program application. Mostly just spreadsheets, being able to script is a must. Would also be nice if it doesn’t use some terribad custom format and allows saving as either MS/open source file format. Honestly do not care if I have to pay as long as it is not obscenely costly. Bonus points if I can gently caress with python in it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeesis posted:

Looking for a office program application. Mostly just spreadsheets, being able to script is a must. Would also be nice if it doesn’t use some terribad custom format and allows saving as either MS/open source file format. Honestly do not care if I have to pay as long as it is not obscenely costly. Bonus points if I can gently caress with python in it.

You're not going to find anything that allows scripting in iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

You're not going to find anything that allows scripting in iOS.

I don’t know specifically of any spreadsheet apps with scripting, but you can definitely write and run scripts on iOS with apps like Pythonista and Scriptable.