Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Whatsapp is one of those weird things like MSN Messenger where nobody in the US has even heard of it. I just assume europeans or chinese use whatsapp to smuggle drugs or something.

It's very popular in the US as well, remember this is the Android thread, where the Pixel is the most popular phone and Hangouts is the most used messaging platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I can confirm that I am an american that uses whatsapp with my friends and family who are mostly also in america

my friend's brother uses groupme and I've never seen another person use that

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I use sms

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerve posted:

I use sms

what about encryption

think of how many times the NSA has watched you type "lol"

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Who uses Hangouts?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nalin posted:

Hangouts Chat / Meet are part of the paid GSuite enterprise tools so many people assumed they would have a cost. But it looks like there won't be any worry as a couple points were made today.

1) Chat / Meet will be released for free to consumers eventually and people will be migrated over to the new stuff.

2) Hangouts Classic will not be shut down until they have a new dialer app for Google Fi users. So people on Google Fi who make use of the features Hangouts provides probably don't need to worry about the rug being pulled out from underneath them.

I'm on Fi and people don't really use Hangouts for the dialer features, it's more for the ability to text on PC without having to deal with SMS bullshit through Messaging. With Hangouts, you can text anywhere on any device period. I mean you can call too, but most who complain about no Hangouts on Fi seem to complain more about the lack of SMS on PC as the Messaging app is kind of unreliable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Healbot posted:

Who uses Hangouts?

I like hangouts but forget why

anyways i'm into some pretty obscure ims

(who uses Kik?)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm on Fi and people don't really use Hangouts for the dialer features, it's more for the ability to text on PC without having to deal with SMS bullshit through Messaging. With Hangouts, you can text anywhere on any device period. I mean you can call too, but most who complain about no Hangouts on Fi seem to complain more about the lack of SMS on PC as the Messaging app is kind of unreliable.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6159953

I am mainly talking about people who transferred their Google Voice number to Google Fi. If you do that, you use Hangouts to call, text, and check voicemail. Apparently there was a decent amount of people who did that who got really worried when they heard that Hangouts was being discontinued.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I frequently use my computer to do calls because I have a really high quality mic attached to it. It would be a real bummer to loose the ability to make and receive calls from my computer

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

what about encryption

Yeah, they probably think I'm a happy person but joke's on them.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot if we were supposed to take Night Sight pictures or cat pictures right now so i took an Night Sight picture of my cat:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wechat is mandatory if you want any sort of interaction in China. Social, business, payments, taxis, everything. It’s weird how fast it’s taken off.

At that suspension bridge I posted last page it says in big font "we do not accept tickets purchased on We Chat." (We have a huge Chinese population+lots of tourists) Wonder if it's a fraud problem or what

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My wife and I use allo and it's good.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Anybody use Signal? Seems like they're the ones doing the interesting privacy/e2e stuff since other services are adopting their protocol.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Anybody use Signal? Seems like they're the ones doing the interesting privacy/e2e stuff since other services are adopting their protocol.

Yes. Not very fancy feature set, but works well.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use Signal and convinced the handful of people I frequently IM to start using it as well.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Thread title is super accurate right now.

Is the infrastructure too expensive to host an all-in-one chat service for Android or something?

I can have my phone's futuristic robot talk to spam-callers and leave a transcript, but I can't get basic chat features on the one of two devices I use for chat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Signal is fine, desktop app is handy. I wish I could use it from a tablet too but other than that it does everything I need it to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's like back when I had Trillian so I could log in to AIM, MSN, ICQ and whatever else in one program.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Harminoff posted:

If anyone is looking for a new launcher to try I really recommend Niagara launcher. It's really nice and simple.

https://www.xda-developers.com/niagara-launcher-minimalist-notifications/amp/

Downloaded this last night and it's pretty good so far, good recommendation

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Tetrabor posted:

Is the infrastructure too expensive to host an all-in-one chat service for Android or something?

I can have my phone's futuristic robot talk to spam-callers and leave a transcript, but I can't get basic chat features on the one of two devices I use for chat.

At this point I'm thinking Apple must have some kind of ironclad patent cause even if Google dragged their feet I'm shocked Samsung haven't implemented some kind of iMessage ripoff by now.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

SamDabbers posted:

I use signal with the few people I could convince to use it. For the rest it’s WhatsApp.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bronin posted:

I use signal with the few people I could convince to use it. For the rest it’s WhatsApp.

I love signal because it integrates with regular sms, but it handles mms so bad.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

It's like back when I had Trillian so I could log in to AIM, MSN, ICQ and whatever else in one program.

I missed that so much I've tried it again and hoo boy. Hard pass

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tetrabor posted:

You've got the chicken-and-egg problem where even if you have a new messaging service, it's not going anywhere without the users and the users won't go to where their contacts aren't. Then you have the problem where the existing messaging services don't want to interoperate, because losing control on their user base means losing that sweet data mining/targeted advertising money, plus microtransactions for emotes/stickers et al.

Basically unless one of the companies goes bankrupt there's going to be an eternal cold war going on.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FAUXTON posted:

what about encryption

sure id prefer to use something with encryption but literally everyone i communicate uses sms, what is a boy to do

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nalin posted:

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6159953

I am mainly talking about people who transferred their Google Voice number to Google Fi. If you do that, you use Hangouts to call, text, and check voicemail. Apparently there was a decent amount of people who did that who got really worried when they heard that Hangouts was being discontinued.

From what I've seen, people aren't worried about that so much as being forced to go back to SMS-only clients that only work half of the time. Hangouts is seemingly more reliable as it uses data and not just SMS to push messages through.

Also, Google claimed they were going to put Fi integration into Voice a year ago. Nothing's happened.

https://9to5google.com/2017/01/30/project-fi-integration-might-be-coming-to-voice-google-is-working-on-a-solution/

Though this is from 9to5's "source" which is most likely bullshit considering this most recent Hangouts article they posted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After taking stock of the USB-C adapters I have lying around the house (stemming from rearranging my desk and wanting a single cable solution for external monitor and charging for both my Chromebooks and and XPS15) I'm going to attempt an effort post on USB-C power. This isn't so much about what's safe and what's not, just how to understand adapter specs and what that may mean for your charge rates.

First and foremost, we have USB-C without PD. That's easy. 5v@3A. That gives you 15w of power to work with. Pretty much every C charger will do this.

USB-PD basically says voltages from 5v-20v, maximum of 3A. If you need more than 60w, that's the next generation stuff which allows up to 5A over the cable (but same voltages) to allow up to 100w. If a C cable is to support more than 3A, it has to have a emark chip in it that allows that. Without a emark chip, amperage will be capped at 3A no matter what. So, if you use normal C cables with a 100w adapter, you aren't going to get more than 60w.

Now, just because there's that voltage range, there are voltages that are considered standard (which can all do up to 3A.)

5v
9v
15v
20v

Do not confuse standard with required. Outside of 5v, it's not uncommon to see adapters skip some of these or include others. This is especially true for OEM adapters which may customize their output for the max charge rate of their device at the detriment of wide comparability.

12v is also a fairly common profile. It was originally thought to be a standard profile, but was supplanted by 15v. Because of this, you'll see 12v support more than 15v support on older adapters and devices.

So, that brings me to adapters themselves and their wattage capacity they advertise. As you can guess, since it's possible to support up to 3 amp across all those voltages, that wattage number you get may not be telling you the whole story about your charging rates.

To highlight this, let's go over a few adapters that I have on hand.

15w bundled for Google Wifi and Pixel C (captive cord.)
5v@3A

18w bundled with Pixel Phones
5v@3A
9v@2A

Nintendo Switch OEM adapter
5v@1.5A
15v@2.6A

Pixelbook 45w adapter
5v@3A
9v@3A
12v@3A
15v@3A
20v@2.25 A

Belkin 45w adapter
5v@3A
9v@3A
12v@3A
15v@3A

Anker 30w adapter
5v@3A
9v@3A
15v@2A

Verizon 24w adapter (also qualcomm QC 3.0)
5v@3A
7v@3A
8v@3A
9v@2A
12v@2A

Google Universal 60w adapter (no longer sold)
5v@3A
12v@3A
20v@3A

Anker 60w adapter
5v@3A
9v@3A
15v@3A
20v@3A

So, now you can see why even if you have a high power adapter, you MAY not be getting max charge rate.

For example, the Google Universal adapter, despite being a 60w adapter that can power my XPS15, can't even charge modern flagship phones at full rate because it lacks a 9v profile.

Even though the switch will take up to 30w (in undocked mode), the most that the Pixel adapters can give it is 15w since the Switch doesn't support a 9v profile. However, you probably aren't giving it even 15w with a normal C adapter. Notice how Nintendo's brick is 5v@1.5a and 15v@2.26A. That likely means that the Switch itself won't accept more than 1.5A at 5V, so an 18w C adapter will only charge it at 7.5w. You need an adapter that supports at least 2A at 15w to get normal charge rates for the switch. If all you have are 9v and 12v profiles, you are stuck at 7.5w.

The Pixel C can actually charge at 24w, but the most that the Anker 60w adapter can do is 15w since the Pixel C achieves that at 12v@2A.

So, basically, if you want to get max charge rate with a 3rd party adapter on a device, take note of what power profiles the OEM charger uses. If there's a 12v profile there, makes sure you buy one that can do 12v. If there's a 15v profile, make sure you get one that can do 15v to at least as many amps that's listed.

For broad compatibility without having to power a full sized notebook, the Belkin adapter appears to be best. The Pixelbook adapter edges it out a little bit by including the 20v profile, but use of that is pretty rare. The Anker adapter is good for 60w, but you could lose some compatibility with older tablets/chromebooks by losing 12v.

Of course, proprietary standards really throw a wrench into this.

Qualcomm quick charge and USB-PD can generally co-exist even if it's a violation of the USB-PD spec for that to happen. They both go about things the same way, variable voltage up to 3A. But the signaling is different and QuickCharge does variable voltage in 200mv steps within a range rather than a lower number of profiles. There's no reason why a QC device can't charge at a very fast rate with a USB-PD charger (unless it completely ignores USB-PD signaling). It just may not charge as optimally as the battery fills up and charge rate needs to slow. The next step down with USB-PD may be lower than it could achieve with QC.

Oneplus Dash Charge (which is licensed VOOC from Oppo) is wholly incompatible because it messes with amperage. Dash Charge can go up to 5v@4A which isn't even covered in USB-C spec. So, those devices are stuck at 15w of charging on normal USB-PD even though they are designed to take 20w. There's just no way under USB-PD to deliver 20w at 5v, they would have to support 9v@2.2A and I don't think they have any 9V support at all. This is also why they tell you to only use their cable with the charger. Normal USB cables are only designed for up to 3A. 4A is outside of spec and could be dangerous.

Samsung Adaptive Fast charging is generally compatible with USB-PD as it uses a 5v/9v@2A profile. It's just worth it to note that if your JUST have a 15w adapter (5v@3A), you won't get max charge rate with your samsung device (you'll be stuck at 10w). You need to have an 18w adapter. That's not to say that it spends much time at 18w though. However it will still spend time at 9v at lower amperage before getting into the 10w range. One other thing to note about Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging is that it doesn't play nice with emarked USB-C cables used for 100w charging. The signaling of Samsung's spec keeps the chips in a constant state of brownout which degrades them over time. So, do not use expensive USB 3.0 Gen 2 C cables with your Samsung charger. The same should be said for any of the proprietary specs.

Moto TurboPower is also generally compatible with USB-PD for the 15 and 25 specs, but it leans heavily on 12v so broad compatibility with normal chargers for max rate doesn't have much overlap TurboPower 30 is a completely different animal. It takes a page out of VOOC and keeps things at 5v, but ramps up to 5.7A. This is why all TurboPower 30 chargers have a captive cable. They should be avoided and used only with devices they are bundled with. Those devices also likely won't charge beyond 15w with any spec compliant charger.

To sum up:

For just phones, 18w and 27w chargers should get you all you need. They will do 5v@3A and 9v@ 2A or 3A. This will give you best case non-proprietary charging across all manufacturers (outside of motorola).

If you want to include your Switch into this list, you need a 30w, 45w or 60w charger as you really need that 15v profile.

If you have oddball tablets or chromebooks, it may be worthwhile getting a charger that support 12v profile as those devices might be utilizing that to get charging in the 24w range. Check your OEM adapter and see if it mentions 12v. If so, you could likely benefit from the Belkin or Pixelbook adapter.

If you want to max charge a TurboPower 30 or OnePlus device. Best of luck to you. You'll be spending a lot of money on chargers that have little utility on other devices.

To toss in a few more things..

Anker's Powerport+ 5port desktop charger

This thing is advertised at 60w, but that's across both the C ports and A ports. The C port itself is a 30w port and supports

5v@3A
9v@3A
15v@2A
20v@1.5A

Mophie Powerstation XXL USB-C 30w battery
5v@3A
9v@3A
15v@2A
20v@1.5A

Nimble 18w battery
5v@3A
9v@2a
12v@1.5a

The Mophie's input matches its output which is great for fast charging or passthrough charging. It's also a great battery to pair with the switch.

The Nimble does 5v@2.5A and 9v@1.8A so it can be recharged at max rate with most phone chargers, but it will actually charge at a slower rate than it can output. It's a good pairing for phones for travel, but not great for something like the switch.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 2, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You missed Huawei

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've finally got round to introducing the parents to whatsapp and its so nice not having to deal with mms any more for the random pictures they send me of everything going on in their life

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

You missed Huawei

Similar to Dash/VOOC and TurboPower 30, high amperage at 5v.

Exposure is pretty limited though. It's not even in all Huawei derives. For example, my MediaPad M5 doesn't support it and will actually charge slower on a Huawei supercharger since it relies on a 9v profile that the supercharger doesn't have.

I have pretty high distain for Dash/VOOC/Supercharge since they go beyond spec amperage for USB but the chargers DON'T USE A CAPTIVE CABLE unlike Moto with TurboPower 30. That's pretty negligent. Here, let's give you a standard cable interface, but we may pump 2x the rated current though it. We'll just make sure to mention that you should only use the included cable and wipe our hands of liability.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

I've finally got round to introducing the parents to whatsapp and its so nice not having to deal with mms any more for the random pictures they send me of everything going on in their life

I'm jealous. I tried to get my family on Telegram (or really anything other than SMS/MMS) a couple months back and they all went "why?".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On wireless charging notes, Belkin's wireless charger for the P3 looks like it's going to start showing up places soon. It looks like there's 4 SKUs in total. There's black in white in both laying down and with a stand.

The placeholder on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Boost-Wireless-Charging-Google/dp/B07HNZ3W7X) has some good info from the manufacturer.

quote:

The Belkin F7U050-MG charges up to 10 W for the Google Pixel 3 and the Google Pixel 3 XL phones, 7.5 W for compatible iPhones®, up to 9 W for compatible Samsung® wireless fast charge devices, and up to 5 W for all other Qi™-Certified devices.

So, unlike the Pixel Stand, this charger will have full universal capability. It's just going to lack the assistant stuff.

So, it may be a decent choice for people worried about having a fast charger that will last them through several devices and manufacturers.

Keep in mind that this is the exact same model number of their existing wireless charger, just with MG tacked on to the end. I'm going to guess this version will just replace their old one.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 2, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

I have pretty high distain for Dash/VOOC/Supercharge since they go beyond spec amperage for USB but the chargers DON'T USE A CAPTIVE CABLE unlike Moto with TurboPower 30. That's pretty negligent. Here, let's give you a standard cable interface, but we may pump 2x the rated current though it. We'll just make sure to mention that you should only use the included cable and wipe our hands of liability.

This is incorrect, at least as it pertains to Supercharge. Supercharge only works with cables with special signaling. Charging is otherwise limited to 5V/2A

grack fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 3, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

This is incorrect, at least as it pertains to Supercharge. Supercharge only works with cables with special signaling. Charging is otherwise limited to 5V/2A

It's still problematic depending on how closely stuff is regulated. Also, from tests, it seems like that isn't strictly true and behavior can be erratic.

https://gtrusted.com/review/dont-use-a-non-supercharge-cable-to-quickly-charge-your-huawei-p10-with-the-huawei-supercharge-multiport-charger

quote:

In the first few minutes of charging, the Huawei P10 was seen to start pulling current that changes rapidly along a 5 volts rail. When reaching 10 minutes, the phone briefly pulled up to about 15.3 watts (9 volts @ 1.7 amps) which the current then dropped quickly to zero. In the next 131 minutes, no current was pulled resulting in no charging at all. The current then started to rise up to 3 amps for the phone to resume charging at around 13.5 watts. 

So, the charger got higher than 5v and higher than 2A despite the fact that it should be limited to 5v@2A. It ended up settling at 4.5v @3A. That shouldn't be an issue for the cable, but it's not acting the way it should.

We all know the hell that was USB-C cables, especially A-C cables. It's not a stretch to think that Huawei may not have accounted for some of the possibilities on the market that could cause their charger to malfunction and keep it from properly applying its failsafe modes. This can lead to erratic behavior with USB-PD chargers as well, but at least there we know current can't go beyond spec.

I cannot plug a 20A device into a 15A circuit with normal house wiring, the plugs are physically incompatible. Relying on proprietary signaling over a cable with unknown construction can lead to less than ideal results. They should have stuck to a captive cable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone having issues with the Pixel 3 killing processes in the middle of using them?

It seems to really be struggling to keep two apps running at once, like I've had it kill pocket cast while maps is open, and even had it kill an ongoing Hangouts call while I didn't have it as the focus.

I'm feeling like this 4 gigs of memory is not sufficient at all. It's also having you redraw the launcher pretty much every time I jump back to it which I can only assume is because it can't afford to hold it in memory because things are so short.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't seen a home screen redraw on Android in like 5 years.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone having issues with the Pixel 3 killing processes in the middle of using them?

It seems to really be struggling to keep two apps running at once, like I've had it kill pocket cast while maps is open, and even had it kill an ongoing Hangouts call while I didn't have it as the focus.

I'm feeling like this 4 gigs of memory is not sufficient at all. It's also having you redraw the launcher pretty much every time I jump back to it which I can only assume is because it can't afford to hold it in memory because things are so short.

Never had this happen on my pixel 2, but I don't know how much ram my phone has so I can't compare.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes, it's a common problem on pixel 3 and Google said they have a fix coming for it soon.

Pixel 1 and 2 don't exhibit the same problem, and have the same amount of ram. Google just hosed something up on pixel 3. There's various articles around about it if you Google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bull, that's a quality post on charging poo poo. Thank you! I definitely learned something new.